ADVERTISEMENT

Yesterday, we weren't as bad as it seemed, but ...

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
there were two big question marks for me coming into the game, and we left with more than two.

I thought that the defense was not so bad. Houston has a nice offense and Ward is a much better player than he was a year ago. OUr defense yesterday would have stopped 2015 Ward. His passing was on target. He was a little like Vince Young in 2005. Young wasn't really much of a pass. But you had to devote so much of your scheme to stopping his run, that it left you really vulnerable in pass coverage. A year ago, he couldn't exploit that very well. Yesterday, he did.

Most great coaches talk a lot about doing the "little things." Yesterday, Houston's players did that a whole lot better than OUrs. BStoops emphasizes ball security. But Houston took great care of the ball. We didn't. There were all sorts of negatives to remember yesterday. For me, number one was how many times the ball hit the ground. It seemed that all the fumbles and the onsides kick, that they got all and we got none. That's a bad place to start.

Other little things: I believe we have a problem at center. We all heard that Wren was pushing for Alvarez' job. I suspect the reason might be the inconsistent snapping. The most underrated part of a good spread offense, is a consistent solid snap. There had to have been a dozen yesterday that were too high, and it wrecked the timing of way too many plays. Baker made lemonade a couple of times, but more often, he couldn't get the quick read to make his throw, because he was fishing for the snap. There were two or three wide ones too. You might survive that in your typical yawner, if you're opening with an FCS school.

But we weren't playing an FCS school. Houston is a top ten team. Anybody else returning with their 2015 record and their stud starting quarterback after a big six bowl win would be closer to the top five than the top 15. And it was no neutral site deal. Playing them at NRG was like playing the Orange Bowl against Miami or the Sugar Bowl against LSU. You can't hear and they can. It makes a considerable difference in a bowl game, the last game of the year, when you've played together for four months. Huge difference in game one.

The NFL has four preseason games. The high schools play two scrimmages. College football doesn't have that. That's why cream puff first games are scheduled. Yesterday was the opposite of a cream puff.

The key play of the game was the FG return. If you want the replay, Seibert had a false start on the 54 yarder. Maybe should have been called for being in motion, though I don't think he was that early. It was the right call to let him try it; but he screwed up. He started, hesitated, and then had less momentum to get enough foot into the ball to get it past the end line.

The defense got most things fixed after the half. But they offense wasn't giving them much of a break. After the first touchdown, our only other one of the first 58 minutes came on a the long pass to Andrews.

We had a couple of tough breaks. The first DPI was a dreadful call, but the defense stepped up and held them to three. One back official in particular let Houston receivers push off on the back shoulder fade, but called tick tack stuff on Austin at least three times. If you'd going to let them battle, let them both battle.

My biggest disappointment was the OLine, especially Alvarez. Well maybe second. Number one was giving them four first downs on penalties, three on third down. And then there was the brain dead shove in the back by our defensive captain, that nullified what would have put them in a third and 30, but instead was just offsetting penalties.

But we put the ball on the ground and they didn't. We got none of the loose balls. Houston also had the best DL on the field. That young man played mike linebacker in some nickel and dime defenses, and ran like Ray Lewis. That was the best defensive performance by a lineman that I've seen against OU since Rich Glover in the GOTC. Or maybe Jerome Brown. He was different than either, but incredibly effective.

Those are things you can maybe game plan for a little, when you've got a little tape to watch of how they'll use him.

Losing Parker for several series and Perine for more than that, seemed to have a disruptive effect. And maybe just a little confidence dip. You kind of start wondering, what's next. We lost OUr momentum about the time Perine went out, and we never really got any back.

It was a lousy day. But the sky isn't falling. But Coach B has some serious work to do. And this year, he doesn't have til mid October to figure it out.

Just like the kickoff return by Texas in the 2008 game that came with OU up 14-3 and seemingly in control of the game, the quick-six FG return yesterday seemed to rattle OU and put a charge into Houston's effort. OU never recovered just as it did in 2008.
But this game revealed so many flaws in OU that it's hard to see OU in any kind of national championship scenario. A conference championship and 9-10 win season is certainly possible given the overall weakness of the Big12....as Stoops hall of fame resume gets enhanced.

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
We have always, from what I remember, struggle with adjustments. The CENTER has problems. Baker constantly has to worry about the snap, which adds more pressure on him. I just wish we could adjust especially on defense once our opponent sees a weak spot.

But we weren't playing an FCS school. Houston is a top ten team. Anybody else returning with their 2015 record and their stud starting quarterback after a big six bowl win would be closer to the top five than the top 15. And it was no neutral site deal. Playing them at NRG was like playing the Orange Bowl against Miami or the Sugar Bowl against LSU. You can't hear and they can. It makes a considerable difference in a bowl game, the last game of the year, when you've played together for four months. Huge difference in game one.

The NFL has four preseason games. The high schools play two scrimmages. College football doesn't have that. That's why cream puff first games are scheduled. Yesterday was the opposite of a cream puff.
We lost OUr momentum about the time Perine went out, and we never really got any back.

Weak excuses.

Mixon was the star, from early on.

We'll never know if Houston is a top 10 ten team because they play NO ONE ELSE. But God forbid we win out because Houston is going over us.

The reason Houston wasn't closer to the top 5 is because they did not return their 2015 team - their stud RB is gone, for instance, including their entire secondary...that Riley inexplicably failed to exploit.

Houston is in no way like Miami because we have a strong Petroleum Engineering school with plenty of alums in Houston: http://www.ouclubofhouston.org/About

And the day Cougar High's fans are a problem is the day we have much, much bigger problems. Our O ultimately succeeded in Knoxville last year - an environment 10X as hostile as NRG (and our players made comments to that effect last year; where is the whining about the noise in NRG?).

As for your creampuffs remarks: what about all of the other top schools that played top flight competition in this "best opening weekend ever"? We instead should cowardly shy away from that....why? Because Stoops is incapable, while Saban does it EVERY FRICKIN' YEAR for the opening kickoff game? The reality is Bob is much closer to Lester. Ponder that.

As for the OL being the biggest disappointment, I'll repeat myself and go with Mead, Miller and Smallwood being targeted only once as not just disappointing but unfathomable. Riley couldn't get it to them on at least a slant or bubblescreen to keep Houston from focusing on coming after the inevitably-scrambling Baker? And this against 2015's #107 ranked team passing defense efficiency: http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/40/p3 That fact alone had me thinking that even if our new-face-defense got exploited we'd be putting up on the order of 50 points. But 23? Wow.

What did we all hear since spring and all this fall camp: A.D. Miller. Riley found a way to throw it to him once??? Outside of Westbrook, 5 PASSES - FIVE - WERE CAUGHT BY WRs. Total failure by an OC who could not rein in his feet happy QB (13 rush for -1) and get him into a rhythm by establishing some form of a short passing game.

I also still wonder, again, how bad our OL is if our QB is going to hold onto the ball for way too long. It is the #1 thing that needs to be fixed, because it does not matter who is snapping it if our QB is going to insist on becoming a scrambling human highlight reel. Get the ball out of his hand fast, at least on the majority of 1st and 2nd downs.

OC failure? Really. See for you, an explanation is "just an excuse," because there is not such thing as an acceptable loss. If we're not 14-0, it the coaches' fault. That is nonsense, spoken by somebody who doesn't get it. OUr players got outplayed. And that's not on coaches, if the other guys had more effort. That is on players. And the leadership of the player group.

Players make plays, are they don't. Houston made more plays. They outexecuted OUr players, much of the day. Losing two of OUr best guys for a while didn't help at all.

Bob said afterward that he thought that Baker might have gotten a little greedy some of the time, and waited for something a little down the field, when something shorter was open. But this was a game where we had to run the ball well, and mostly, that didn't happen. OUr Oline got whipped too often.

That isn't about play calling. It's about who wins their one on one battle. And then a wide throws the worst pass he's thrown all year. Apparently, they run it in practice every day, and he doesn't miss it much, and never that badly. But he choked on the throw. That isn't a coach problem. That was a likely touchdown.

OUr offense hurts without Perine in game one, when Anderson went down, meaning we were at number four as a guy on the field when the game turned. And Houston is as good as all but two or three teams in the country. Ward has never lost a game as a starting quarterback. Their one 2015 loss, he was hurt. In that respect, they're a little like West Virginia in 2006.

Barry said it over and over. It's not the alignment. It's the alignees. And yesterday, their alignees played better, with the most field advantage.

Houston had the edge in several areas and one of those was coaching. I'm a firm believer that players take on the IQ and personality of the coaches and right now? We aren't very smart and we look soft. Take that for what it is.

This loss is as much on the play calling and coaches as it is "who wins their one on one battle". No player or coach is worthy of sacred cow status following a total team loss.

Everyone see how fast UT's frosh QB got the ball out of his hand on their opening drive for TD?

Keep making making excuses Plano....

Last edited:
Reactions: veritas59
OC failure? Really. See for you, an explanation is "just an excuse," because there is not such thing as an acceptable loss. If we're not 14-0, it the coaches' fault. That is nonsense, spoken by somebody who doesn't get it. OUr players got outplayed. And that's not on coaches, if the other guys had more effort. That is on players. And the leadership of the player group.

Players make plays, are they don't. Houston made more plays. They outexecuted OUr players, much of the day. Losing two of OUr best guys for a while didn't help at all.

Bob said afterward that he thought that Baker might have gotten a little greedy some of the time, and waited for something a little down the field, when something shorter was open. But this was a game where we had to run the ball well, and mostly, that didn't happen. OUr Oline got whipped too often.

That isn't about play calling. It's about who wins their one on one battle. And then a wide throws the worst pass he's thrown all year. Apparently, they run it in practice every day, and he doesn't miss it much, and never that badly. But he choked on the throw. That isn't a coach problem. That was a likely touchdown.

OUr offense hurts without Perine in game one, when Anderson went down, meaning we were at number four as a guy on the field when the game turned. And Houston is as good as all but two or three teams in the country. Ward has never lost a game as a starting quarterback. Their one 2015 loss, he was hurt. In that respect, they're a little like West Virginia in 2006.

Barry said it over and over. It's not the alignment. It's the alignees. And yesterday, their alignees played better, with the most field advantage.

Mr. Stoops,

You shouldn't be on here defending your coaching. You should really be working on the mistakes that you and your staff made yesterday.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
A couple of thoughts.

In our last two losses, tight halftime games became one-sided in the third quarter which indicates that the other coaches are making better third quarter adjustments than ours are.

Houston made a bunch of marvelous plays. Count the third down conversions, how Dunbar wore us out, and that amazing sideline catch on third and long. Conversely from our perspective, look at the kick six, the busted trick play which should've been an easy touchdown, and the fumble by Baxter while correctly called under the rules was 99% probably not a fumble--which the Cougars turned into a short field TD.

The cliche is that luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Don't get me wrong as I'm not saying the Cougars were lucky. On that particular day, they executed marvelously, were well prepared and, as a result, got pretty much every 50-50 opportunity to go their way. Congrats to them.

Let's see if this particular OU team has the leadership and guts to respond to this adversity/slap in the face.

Yesterday would never have happened under a Briles coached team. Period. Every time Baylor took the field, they did not have the ranked talent of their adversary. They were simply coached up, prepared, and made the better adjustments in-game.

You can scream alignees all you want but as Phaeded posted, we had NO short passing game to speak of, we didn't involve our WR's enough, and our receivers don't know how to get open or break off their routes when Baker is scrambling. We don't seem to have a safety valve receiver to dump off to. That's coaching.

Plenty of times our OL pass protected well for Baker but it wound up too often in vain.

Reactions: BillyRay
Never thought I would find myself saying this, but Texas was more prepared for a legit opponent in a season opener than a Bob Stoops coached OU team. OU fans use to brag about how Bob would play tough out of conference games while Mack Brown and UT would schedule cream puff games. Wow...how the roles have seemed to reversed. Charlie Strong had his UT squad ready to roll last night and hung half-a-hundred on #10 Notre Dame.

Everyone see how fast UT's frosh QB got the ball out of his hand on their opening drive for TD?

Keep making making excuses Plano....

I thought that Buechele looked terrific. But that happened in large part because Texas' OL has grown up and beat ND at the los for a good part of the night. They had a quality running game. It's a different philosophy with two very big backs. They were also playing at home.

I was very disappointed with the OLine play. Houston's defense is tough to play against any time, but especially in a game one. They are very diverse in the blitzes, and hard for a group of new guys playing together for the first time to get the right guy blocked. And it's a different task on the road.

It's interesting to me, who the sacred cows are on this board. Coach Bedenbaugh is one. You just never see anybody calling him out. Same thing with Coach Cooks. Yet it was those two position groups that had the most problems Saturday and I haven't read a negative about either of them.

But lots of calling out of play calling, coordinator failure. And especially complaining about the Head Stoops. Lessee. Bob has won more games than all but a handful of active coaches. So far as I can tell, there are eight or nine active coaches who have won 100 plus games and Bob has won at least one game against every one whom he has faced at least than twice. I can't think of one who has a winning record against Bob. He's 1-1 against Saban. 2-0 against Jimbo. Big margin over Snider. The most wins of any active coach besides Snider is Brian Kelly. Stoops is 3-1 over him.

Consider that there are about a dozen coaches in the Big XII in the last 17 years who have been to the conference championship game. Mack. Gary Barnett. Solich. R.C. Slocum. Pinkel. Bob has a winning record against every single one of them. Gundy's Pokes didn't play in a CCG, but they did win the conference once. Bob's 9-2 against them.

I'm saddened by Saturday. I've talked to a couple of old players since Saturday online. We agreed that Houston was better that day, and deserved to win. But this mass calling for Bob to be replaced is pure foolishness. This "what has he done for us lately," ignores that we played in the final four last season.

You guys are ungrateful, myopic and more than a little uninformed. You're mostly entitled in your own minds, based one what? How Bud dominated a weak conference in the 50s?

You won't get better, because there are maybe two who are better, and they aren't coming to OU.

Our coaching staff is no longer the best in the big 12, much less the country. The lack of mental toughness and the inability to make adjustments after halftime is very concerning. Our fans are now happy with just being" pretty good" and at times being the laughing stock of college football.

Seriously?? He also thought we could kick a 53 yard field goal and apparently had no clue of what could happen if he was short.

I'm just the reporter here. But someone also had a video compilation on twitter of some pretty poor throws by Sandlot.

Reactions: veritas59
Why did Lincoln need until Texas to realize Perrine and Mixon were on the team last year?

Vs. Houston Mayfield had as many carries as ALL of our RBs combined (yes, Perrine, Mixon and Brooks had 13 - same as Baker). Love the lesson learned there.

But can we get off the distraction of "calling for heads" (from either side) and what needs to get fixed? Bitching about personnel is fairly counter-productive when obviously the starters looked better than the back-ups in practice. We need scheme changes. I.e., coaching.

GET THE BALL OUT OF MAYFIELD'S HANDS QUICKER. We aren't beating anyone when he's the leading rusher/running-for-his-life.

Watch any of the UT passing highlights and how fast the ball is out of Buchele's hands, even on bombs. We are not getting to him in the RRR. We need to create that same problem for opponents. And its not like we didn't do precisely just that (see the Bradford years).

Riley, Mayfield and Stoops collectively fell in love with the 2015 season scrambling highlights. That can't be the essence of our offense. All well and good on 3rd and long, but establish a rhythm on offense first already.

I thought that Buechele looked terrific. But that happened in large part because Texas' OL has grown up and beat ND at the los for a good part of the night. They had a quality running game. It's a different philosophy with two very big backs. They were also playing at home.

I was very disappointed with the OLine play. Houston's defense is tough to play against any time, but especially in a game one. They are very diverse in the blitzes, and hard for a group of new guys playing together for the first time to get the right guy blocked. And it's a different task on the road.

It's interesting to me, who the sacred cows are on this board. Coach Bedenbaugh is one. You just never see anybody calling him out. Same thing with Coach Cooks. Yet it was those two position groups that had the most problems Saturday and I haven't read a negative about either of them.

But lots of calling out of play calling, coordinator failure. And especially complaining about the Head Stoops. Lessee. Bob has won more games than all but a handful of active coaches. So far as I can tell, there are eight or nine active coaches who have won 100 plus games and Bob has won at least one game against every one whom he has faced at least than twice. I can't think of one who has a winning record against Bob. He's 1-1 against Saban. 2-0 against Jimbo. Big margin over Snider. The most wins of any active coach besides Snider is Brian Kelly. Stoops is 3-1 over him.

Consider that there are about a dozen coaches in the Big XII in the last 17 years who have been to the conference championship game. Mack. Gary Barnett. Solich. R.C. Slocum. Pinkel. Bob has a winning record against every single one of them. Gundy's Pokes didn't play in a CCG, but they did win the conference once. Bob's 9-2 against them.

I'm saddened by Saturday. I've talked to a couple of old players since Saturday online. We agreed that Houston was better that day, and deserved to win. But this mass calling for Bob to be replaced is pure foolishness. This "what has he done for us lately," ignores that we played in the final four last season.

You guys are ungrateful, myopic and more than a little uninformed. You're mostly entitled in your own minds, based one what? How Bud dominated a weak conference in the 50s?

You won't get better, because there are maybe two who are better, and they aren't coming to OU.

Okay Plaino....you say you were very disappointment in the OL play. But has has already been pointed out, Bob Stoops thinks the OL was one of the better groups on Saturday. Sorry, but that undermines the rest of your post trying to defend Stoops.

Stoops is, for better or worse, as good a coach as OU can have. His track record speaks for itself....an 80% winning percentage, an 8-9 bowl record highlighted by two upsets of Florida State and Alabama, a national championship and 9 conference titles. No one here denies he's a hall of fame coach.
But he seems to fall short of returning this program to national championship level since his second year in 2000. His 2008 team was the last of his monster teams but that team lost to a lesser Texas team 45-35, and laid an egg in its championship with Florida. Every year there's always a bump in the road and it usually has to do with getting upset to a team of lesser talent.
He is still reaping the rewards and steadfast support 16 years after his national championship in 2000. That's all well and good, but he now faces legitimate concerns and scrutiny that maybe he has taken OU as far as he can....or maybe as far as ANYONE can, to be fair.
This concern and scrutiny comes from many within OU's longtime loyal and knowledgable fan base and not from "uninformed, myopic or uninformed" folks.

Laying eggs and questionable coaching seems to rare its ugly side when we go into season overrated or in some media spotlight. Is it too hard to survey the field and see an opponent standing at the goal post?? If you have that much confidence in your kicker...you need your head examined. Turning point in game you bet....poor coaching and lack of attention you bet. Pile all the crud n after that and it was the formula for a loss.

Reactions: Medic007
Okay Plaino....you say you were very disappointment in the OL play. But has has already been pointed out, Bob Stoops thinks the OL was one of the better groups on Saturday. Sorry, but that undermines the rest of your post trying to defend Stoops.
Just the opposite. Everything else I pointed out was true, including the FG'S kick problem. Bob and I described it almost the same way.

The receivers weren't visible on the screen, so I couldn't see that guys were open early. And losing Perine really hurt the running game.

And Baker said the plan was good, which is exactly the theme I tried to make. You wanna blame Bob for every loss. It is up to them to make plays and OUrs did not.

We got beat because of the little things that their guys did, and ours didn't. When two teams are a good match, that is usually the difference.

We got beat because of the little things that their guys did, and ours didn't. When two teams are a good match, that is usually the difference.
And I'm curious who you think is responsible to why the players "do the little things" in games that are the difference between winning and losing. I mean I already know the answer, but I just wanna hear your usual canned response.

Just the opposite. Everything else I pointed out was true, including the FG'S kick problem. Bob and I described it almost the same way.

The receivers weren't visible on the screen, so I couldn't see that guys were open early. And losing Perine really hurt the running game.

And Baker said the plan was good, which is exactly the theme I tried to make. You wanna blame Bob for every loss. It is up to them to make plays and OUrs did not.

Well hey Baker said the plan was good so thats good enough for me

Well hey Baker said the plan was good so thats good enough for me
I know right!! Baker said the plan was good, even though he really didn't even attempt the plan, he just makes shit up as he goes, but hey apparently the coaches have no plan to reel him in, cuz hey they don't care if Baker does what they tell him to do or not, cuz in the end he just has to execute whatever the hell he wants to do and that's the foundation of what wins football games. In the end...why the hell do we even have coaches??? LOL

And I'm curious who you think is responsible to why the players "do the little things" in games that are the difference between winning and losing. I mean I already know the answer, but I just wanna hear your usual canned response.

You seem to think that players are robots; chess pieces.

Bob got us to the CFP a year ago, yet I read nothing here but complaints about his competency. And then a bunch of nonsense about those who would claim to know more about that, than our players and coaches. Players make plays or they don't. Especially in game one, it's sometimes harder to do those little things in game one, especially on the road in a noisy stadium.

Talking about canned responses. We went 11-2 last year, but every loss, you do the same thing over and over. Blame the coaches, and especially Bob Stoops. It's nonsense. Bob hasn't made a tackle in over 30 years. Or missed one.

Plaino these kind of comments are what got you slammed and ridiculed on the pay board. No one is putting 100% blame on the coaches but to imply they don't play a part in how we perform or the outcome is completely ridiculous. It was a total team failure. From coaches to players.

Plaino these kind of comments are what got you slammed and ridiculed on the pay board. No one is putting 100% blame on the coaches but to imply they don't play a part in how we perform or the outcome is completely ridiculous. It was a total team failure. From coaches to players.

I hear that a lot. But I also get as many likes from people who get real tired of the Bob bashing after every loss. And you're wrong. There are a bunch of posters who blame every loss on Bob and call for his ouster. On a recruiting site, that is terribly counterproductive.

Reactions: Tic-Toc-Tic-Toc
Recognizing a sub par coaching performance is not bashing Bob Stoops. He is human and deserves rightful criticism just like everyone else. Where has anyone stated Bob should be fired?
Well stated.
And how the players perform and execute is a reflection of how they're coached and motivated....by the coaches.

Reactions: BillyRay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT