ADVERTISEMENT

Women's streak got to 71, but it ended Sunday.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
I incorrecty thought the women's streak for all sports was 70 games. But that was short by over 40 by UConn in basketball.

edit

If the softball team win their first four next week, they'll top that.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner2000
You're right. I should have double checked. When I looked up UCLA's 88 game streak, it seemed to indicate UConn's streak was 70 on the page. It was apparently not that. Thanks for the correction.

UConn's streak was over three plus seasons, so we have a ways to go.

That 111 game winning streak, which included 4 consecutive championships, won’t be surpassed as the women’s’ game has evolved with more athleticism and more balanced recruiting.
More teams have caught up to UConn’s program and it’s been good for the women’s game and it’s made their games more entertaining.

That 111 game winning streak, which included 4 consecutive championships, won’t be surpassed as the women’s’ game has evolved with more athleticism and more balanced recruiting.
More teams have caught up to UConn’s program and it’s been good for the women’s game and it’s made their games more entertaining.
The last part of your statement is why fans outside of UConn hated on them. Any domination like that isn’t good for any sport. This is why the OU softball program is so disliked across the country by other team fanbases.

I get the hate but damn I am loving it but hate Alabama and the SEC for what fans hate OU for. So I get it but the hell with them.

Streaks are made/meant to be broken. I have no doubt that the Sooners will be the first to get to or past 71 of course

The last part of your statement is why fans outside of UConn hated on them. Any domination like that isn’t good for any sport. This is why the OU softball program is so disliked across the country by other team fanbases.

I get the hate but damn I am loving it but hate Alabama and the SEC for what fans hate OU for. So I get it but the hell with them.
While perennially winning teams are often “hated”, they can be good for the sport in terms of attendance.
The Yankees, Alabama, UConn women’s basketball, the Celtics, Notre Dame and others have been a favorite target by fans who root against them. There’s also a jealousy factor involved.
Teams of great historical successes attract hatred and jealousy. After all, there aren't many Colorado Rockies “haters”).
You can “hate” such teams all you want but until your team can produce a great legacy, you should deal with it and go on with your life.

Streak is over. Lost 7-5 in 8. To many errors today. Louisiana played a very good game
And the Sooners played with horrible fundamentals. Three outs on the bases, two of them horrible mistakes at worse times. Three or four errors, depending on the rulings. This should make it easier to go to work, if that's what they want.

UL's HC was really smart. He threw his most inexperienced starter yesterday, and took their lumps. Almost a double run rule. And he saved his best for game five when OU pitching staff was worn down by five games in three days. I know Patty is the GOAT. But I believe she made a huge mistake in an experiment. She wanted to see if Maxwell could pitch three games in three days. She was substandard in the circle yesterday, a day after being lights out Friday night, in a shutout, and might have been a no-hitter if our second baseman hadn't screwed a pop up in short right. But three in three she really struggled today.

There were a couple of tough breaks, most importantly a ball that was almost certainly foul that was called fair and then not overturned on appeal. The umpire gave their lefty pitcher a very large strike zone for four or five innings, then tighttened it up late. But she threw an eight inning complete game against our supposedly great offense. We scored the tying run with two outs in the seventh because Louisiana couldn't get the ball in after a base hit, and the pitcher didn't back up.

But OUr seniors made inexcusable baserunning mistakes. Jayda Coleman got called out for leaving 2nd base early, and it wasn't close, ruining a great opportunity early. An inning later, Kinzie Hansen got picked off of 2nd base, when we started the inning with two on and no outs. Patty had to be pulling her hair out.

We'll be okay I think. But if we play like we did today too often, we'll have double digit losses.

While perennially winning teams are often “hated”, they can be good for the sport in terms of attendance.
The Yankees, Alabama, UConn women’s basketball, the Celtics, Notre Dame and others have been a favorite target by fans who root against them. There’s also a jealousy factor involved.
Teams of great historical successes attract hatred and jealousy. After all, there aren't many Colorado Rockies “haters”).
You can “hate” such teams all you want but until your team can produce a great legacy, you should deal with it and go on with your life.
You said it much better than I could and I couldnt agree more. Good post

And the Sooners played with horrible fundamentals. Three outs on the bases, two of them horrible mistakes at worse times. Three or four errors, depending on the rulings. This should make it easier to go to work, if that's what they want.

UL's HC was really smart. He threw his most inexperienced starter yesterday, and took their lumps. Almost a double run rule. And he saved his best for game five when OU pitching staff was worn down by five games in three days. I know Patty is the GOAT. But I believe she made a huge mistake in an experiment. She wanted to see if Maxwell could pitch three games in three days. She was substandard in the circle yesterday, a day after being lights out Friday night, in a shutout, and might have been a no-hitter if our second baseman hadn't screwed a pop up in short right. But three in three she really struggled today.

There were a couple of tough breaks, most importantly a ball that was almost certainly foul that was called fair and then not overturned on appeal. The umpire gave their lefty pitcher a very large strike zone for four or five innings, then tighttened it up late. But she threw an eight inning complete game against our supposedly great offense. We scored the tying run with two outs in the seventh because Louisiana couldn't get the ball in after a base hit, and the pitcher didn't back up.

But OUr seniors made inexcusable baserunning mistakes. Jayda Coleman got called out for leaving 2nd base early, and it wasn't close, ruining a great opportunity early. An inning later, Kinzie Hansen got picked off of 2nd base, when we started the inning with two on and no outs. Patty had to be pulling her hair out.

We'll be okay I think. But if we play like we did today too often, we'll have double digit losses.
This program has won it all before with double digit losses if I remember correctly. Its how they play in late May and June is what matters most.

I don’t see this team with double digit losses as PG will get the ship righted. The fielding has been somewhat suspect early on and the pitching isn’t as strong but remember early last year OU bats struggled before things heated up after the BU loss.

Its not all doom and gloom because the streak is over ( not saying you implied that at all ) but losses like this can sometimes help a team get its focus back. I would imagine keeping the streak alive put a lot of pressure on these players. 71 games in a row was fun to watch and add in the 3 peat and 6 of last 10 NC seasons may never be matched again. We got to witness history.

If I had been alive for that OU FB 47 game win streak that would have been icing on the cake.

This program has won it all before with double digit losses if I remember correctly. Its how they play in late May and June is what matters most.

I don’t see this team with double digit losses as PG will get the ship righted. The fielding has been somewhat suspect early on and the pitching isn’t as strong but remember early last year OU bats struggled before things heated up after the BU loss.

Its not all doom and gloom because the streak is over ( not saying you implied that at all ) but losses like this can sometimes help a team get its focus back. I would imagine keeping the streak alive put a lot of pressure on these players. 71 games in a row was fun to watch and add in the 3 peat and 6 of last 10 NC seasons may never be matched again. We got to witness history.

If I had been alive for that OU FB 47 game win streak that would have been icing on the cake.
I was alive for 47, but not aware of it. Started when I was 2. Ended when I was 6. I wasn't paying attention when dad was listening on the radio. My old high school football coach, John Clark, (I was a manager, not a player) was a Hall of Famer. The stadium in Plano is named for him. He was HC for two state championships and was DC for one. All three of his state titles, the team had a pre-district loss. He thought it was good for them. A little humility is always a good thing.

I also think this will help take more than a little pressure away. The streak while obviously a great achievement, made things tougher. Now they can just focus on winning, not worrying about letting the team down. But I think we found out a few things this weekend. OUr pitching isn't as good as we're used to. And OUr defensive issues is part of that. Today, the baserunning problems were surprising, but evidence of some focus issues. It's early March. We'll get better. But somebody has to be good enough in the circle to be able to give us double digit innings in the circle against quality teams on the weekends where the wins and losses really count. Right now, I'm not sure we have that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soonerborn59
ok 71 games streak is over, but the streak of 3 streak NC's and possibly 4 is the streak that matters now. I think having 6 pitchers is doing more harm than good, yes in the long run their arms will be fresh but they need the innings and experience now. Need to find 3 solid pitchers are roll with them.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
Problem is, we don't have two ir three who could do the job. How long has it been since one of our returning pitchers have lost a game? Over a year. But against quality opponents they are not proven to be up to the task.

I'm just glad that we didn't play Miami twice.

Gasso:

"We are human. We are human beings. That's what happened today. Got to absolutely give credit to Louisiana. They played well. They pitched well. They hit the ball hard. They did everything they needed to do. They deserved to win 100 percent. We knew a game like this would be coming at some time. I don't know that we were ready to have it happen here, but it happened. So nothing was good enough today for us. I mean we had the spirit of coming back which was great. But from defense to pitching to timely hitting, we wasted a lot of time early in the game. This was a game we didn't deserve to win. And we know how to come back, I know. There's too much pride on this team to mope around. We're gonna come back and be stronger. We've shown that and we're made like that."

Not looking forward to the new release of rankings. Texas will probably slide into the #1 spot. Same record as OU with a better loss.

Not looking forward to the new release of rankings. Texas will probably slide into the #1 spot. Same record as OU with a better loss.
OU dropped to 2 behind Texas in this one. ESPN Softball poll has yet to be updated
https://d1softball.com/d1softball-top-25-theres-a-new-number-one-in-town/
But remained number 1 in the ones below
https://softballamerica.com/2024-softball-america-top-25-poll-week-4/
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/22509
Number 5 in current RPI

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT