ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Lebby Gone.

Matt Wells can step in as QB coach and there will be no need to change to much since both have been on staff and know the players already. My question is does BV let Roof go and go after Loenhard for the DC spot.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Mark Stoops must have told A@M about his plans to bring brother Mike on as his DC and A@M pulled the offer. Fake news but would explain why the deal didnt go through.

One thing I want to see. I want to see long term, a quarterback coach who played quarterback.

Last night, before I went to bed, a post from a site I'd never heard of, that Lebby was gone. We've had combo coordinators on defense several times in the past. I don't remember, at least by name, having co coordinators on offense. Somebody's got to call the plays.

This wont be popular so go ahead and rip me a new one. Bobby Petrino is one of the best offensive minds in football so if OU isnt going to give the job to Littrell then why not Petrino?

This wont be popular so go ahead and rip me a new one. Bobby Petrino is one of the best offensive minds in football so if OU isnt going to give the job to Littrell then why not Petrino?

I posted this in the other Lebby thread

Ruggerio
Arbuckle
Petrino

I think we can get anyone of these but Petrino might not mesh with Venables

This is really interesting to me, because this almost feels like someone at OU? Probably Joe C, was like "hey, you should take this job?"

Because how does Lebby not understand that Miss St isn't a HC job that will propel you into better HC jobs? Go ask Shane Beamer if constantly coaching a 6-6 program is going help him get a job at some program like Ohio State? No, you don't go up from those kinds of programs, you either go sideways or go down.

And, he doesn't get to coach JA for at least a season. It just seems like a really weird thing?

But, I know he gets a lot of heat on here, but the guy did get us JA, so I'll appreciate him for that. And anyone that thinks JA is following him? Are dumb. JA isn't leaving a blue blood program, where he is a lock as the starter, with all the potential NIL he has, to go play for a program that will be struggling to make it to a bowl game.

And I really like the idea of Seth Littrell and Emmet Jones getting elevated.

This is really interesting to me, because this almost feels like someone at OU? Probably Joe C, was like "hey, you should take this job?"

Because how does Lebby not understand that Miss St isn't a HC job that will propel you into better HC jobs? Go ask Shane Beamer if constantly coaching a 6-6 program is going help him get a job at some program like Ohio State? No, you don't go up from those kinds of programs, you either go sideways or go down.

And, he doesn't get to coach JA for at least a season. It just seems like a really weird thing?

But, I know he gets a lot of heat on here, but the guy did get us JA, so I'll appreciate him for that. And anyone that thinks JA is following him? Are dumb. JA isn't leaving a blue blood program, where he is a lock as the starter, with all the potential NIL he has, to go play for a program that will be struggling to make it to a bowl game.

That's a great idea, but who would be getting passed over? Lots of good hires. Time for JC and BV to make a perfect hire? Time will tell!

That's a great idea, but who would be getting passed over? Lots of good hires. Time for JC and BV to make a perfect hire? Time will tell!
Under this scenario, who would coach quarterbacks? Jones was a college quarterback but I don’t think he’s made a name for himself as a QB coach and neither has Seth. I think Brent should go find a QB coach that has been successful coaching up 4* and 5* quarterbacks. Lebby’s contract puts a lot of money back in the pot.

Under this scenario, who would coach quarterbacks? Jones was a college quarterback but I don’t think he’s made a name for himself as a QB coach and neither has Seth. I think Brent should go find a QB coach that has been successful coaching up 4* and 5* quarterbacks. Lebby’s contract puts a lot of money back in the pot.
Yep, open up the coffers and go find a guy thats not on the current staff. Go big or go home.

Davon Mitchell, David Stone and a few others confirming their commitments via Twitter.

David specifically rallying the troops. Get that young man on campus. He's going to be a dude.

Because how does Lebby not understand that Miss St isn't a HC job that will propel you into better HC jobs? Go ask Shane Beamer if constantly coaching a 6-6 program is going help him get a job at some program like Ohio State?
Dan Mullen got the Florida Job while he was at MSU. So yes one can get better Coaching gigs even at Miss St.
Ed Orgeron was HC at Ole Miss and was let go in 2007. It didn't kill his career and he would later be the HC at LSU and win a Natty.
And its not written in stone JA will be the guy next season or even if he stays. Until DG decides what he is doing I expect we won't know who the starter will be next season until the Season is about to start.

And I highly doubt anyone told Lebby to go, he just had one of the best Offenses in CF this season.

Last edited:
So saying Lebby is the only coach leaving, then BV would not be able to hire a QB coach, One out one in. Littrell is a TE/HB guy so it makes sense that Finley follow Lebby to MSU. This would open the door to hire Matt Wells as QB coach or find someone who is qualified.

The reality is that you don't offer Petrino the job for the same reason you don't offer it to Art Briles or Cale Gundy...they're toxic.

Here's my take. Internal to each tier, there's no particular order of preference.:

Tier 1:
-- Joe Brady--interim OC for Buffalo Bills. Was on the offensive staff of the juggernaut 2019 LSU Tigers. Only realistic if the Bills don't remove the "interim" tag.
-- Casey Woods: OC at SMU. Potential Lincoln Riley offensive mind. The OU job is clearly an upward move..
-- Sherrone Moore: OC at Michigan. Has done a fantastic job for the Wolverines during Harbaugh's suspensions and played at OU. However, as a lateral move, we'd have to open the coffers or hope he wants to be closer to his roots.
-- Joey Halzle: OC at Tennessee (offense 20th nationally) with OU roots. Another lateral move but knows current SEC defenses.

Tier 2:
-- Garrett Riley: OC at Clemson (offense 52nd nationally). Since it is a lateral move, we'd have to dig into the coffers. Might want to work with Brent again.
-- DeMarco Murray: Downside is he's never been a coordinator but he's young, dynamic, and an excellent recruiter with OU roots. He also has top-level collegiate and professional experience.
-- Dan Mullen: former HC at Florida and OC at MSU so he's familar with the SEC.

Tier 3:
-- Seth Littrell: He just doesn't "move the needle for me" and IMO is a path of least resistance. Certainly not bad but IMO we can do better. Resume as offensive mind and QB mentor is, at best, mediocre. On the plus side, he's an OU guy who'd give us loyalty and his best effort.
-- Bill Bedenbaugh: Great OL coach and is currently on staff. Unknown quantity as a play caller and QB mentor.

Last edited:
Couple of things its been said, Joe Brady hates the recruiting process. When have Riely and BV worked together? Littrell is not a QB mentor never has never will be, he works with TE/H's. Mullens has it made right now working for ESPN and still getting paid by Florida. Woods is another OC/TE coach I would rather have Littrell who is a proven OC and head coach. Dont see Halzle leaving Heupel after Heupel brought him to Tenn. Two people you did not mention that I have thrown around is Korn and Marion the "Go-Go" offense is interesting, may work for a year or two in the SEC, but those DC's will figure it out. Plus Marion has interviewed for a couple of the open HC jobs.

See ya! Lebby is not some elite offensive genius - the real benchmark for total O is yards per play, which puts us at #13, not #4, and even that largely came against junk defenses in the bottom half of Total D (we are not getting this next year). For all his warts Gabriel is a top 6 QB this past year, and there is plenty of talent around him. 2/3rds of this is the Jimmy and Johns....

9 teams we should have steam-rolled offensively, but instead have 2 losses and 2 nailbiters mixed in:

Total D
KU 64 (LOSS)
UWV 71
UCF 84 (2 point win)
Cincy 94
TCU 100
BYU 107 (7 point win, thanks to a pick six)
oSu 112 - (LOSS)
Tulsa 123
Arkie St 124

My gawd, we played 5 teams in the triple digits in total D (3 being in conf!).

See ya! Lebby is not some elite offensive genius - the real benchmark for total O is yards per play, which puts us at #13, not #4, and even that largely came against junk defenses in the bottom half of Total D (we are not getting this next year). For all his warts Gabriel is a top 6 QB this past year, and there is plenty of talent around him. 2/3rds of this is the Jimmy and Johns....

9 teams we should have steam-rolled offensively, but instead have 2 losses and 2 nailbiters mixed in:

Total D
KU 64 (LOSS)
UWV 71
UCF 84 (2 point win)
Cincy 94
TCU 100
BYU 107 (7 point win, thanks to a pick six)
oSu 112 - (LOSS)
Tulsa 123
Arkie St 124

My gawd, we played 5 teams in the triple digits in total D (3 being in conf!).

This is the harsh reality. We have miles of improvement still to make in all phases. I was not a huge fan of the hurry-up as our D, I think, got stretched too thin at times. I don't mind catching teams off guard with quick strike but if every time you get a first down, your next play is a quick run up the middle, especially when we could not run the ball earlier in the season, it is a recipe for disaster. That, coupled with our kicking woes, really bit us this year.

Here's my take. Internal to each tier, there's no particular order of preference.:

Tier 1:
-- Joe Brady--interim OC for Buffalo Bills. Was on the offensive staff of the juggernaut 2019 LSU Tigers. Only realistic if the Bills don't remove the "interim" tag.
-- Casey Woods: OC at SMU. Potential Lincoln Riley offensive mind. The OU job is clearly an upward move..
-- Sherrone Moore: OC at Michigan. Has done a fantastic job for the Wolverines during Harbaugh's suspensions and played at OU. However, as a lateral move, we'd have to open the coffers or hope he wants to be closer to his roots.
-- Joey Halzle: OC at Tennessee (offense 20th nationally) with OU roots. Another lateral move but knows current SEC defenses.

Tier 2:
-- Garrett Riley: OC at Clemson (offense 52nd nationally). Since it is a lateral move, we'd have to dig into the coffers. Might want to work with Brent again.
-- DeMarco Murray: Downside is he's never been a coordinator but he's young, dynamic, and an excellent recruiter with OU roots. He also has top-level collegiate and professional experience.
-- Dan Mullen: former HC at Florida and OC at MSU so he's familar with the SEC.

Tier 3:
-- Seth Littrell: He just doesn't "move the needle for me" and IMO is a path of least resistance. Certainly not bad but IMO we can do better. Resume as offensive mind and QB mentor is, at best, mediocre. On the plus side, he's an OU guy who'd give us loyalty and his best effort.
-- Bill Bedenbaugh: Great OL coach and is currently on staff. Unknown quantity as a play caller and QB mentor.
For OC, I'd much rather have Bedenbaugh than Demarco. But I find Sherrone Moore intriguing. Given what is going on a Michigan, he'd be a pretty likely candidate for their HC job. The conference is through with their investigation, but the NCAA is not.

It looks like Lebby finally shaved that rug off of his neck. I guess getting the head job at MSU was enough for him to choose not to look like an unkempt slob anymore.

lebby.jpg

Reactions: kcstorm06
Read where Lebby is wanting Murray and Bedenbaugh to join him, if thats the case and Murray does go (dont think he will) do all the RB's go with him?

From what I've read Bedenbaugh and Litrell are very good friends and share the same offensive ideas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT