ADVERTISEMENT

Even the Boz is questioning if it's time to move on from Stoops

AbsoluteZer0

Sooner signee
Jul 10, 2008
Owasso, OK
I am torn myself. I think he's still got what it takes, I just don't know if his heart has been in it for several years now. I know it could be worse, I get that, but kind of like a relationship that is really shaky...do you stay in it because you are scared of being alone or do you move on and find something better?

I also look at it this way, we've gone through the litany of coaches and still have mediocre performances especially defensively and for a long while offensively. They can't all have sucked so the one remaining factor that has been there throughout is Bob. Look at Brent Venables and what he's doing now...did he not do that here because he was held back or are we just not recruiting players that could make a difference? Our secondary has been crap (for the most part) for a very long time.

The Boz speaks

Reactions: JP74017
Bob's heart is in it. The problem is the game has passed Mike by and Bob being the loyalist that he is he's never going to fire his brother. Bob's heart is in it.

Last edited:
I read what Boz had to say. He might be right or wrong. Another opinion that many fans agree with. I don't think much him doing it for the press. I can't understand the purpose of Boz doing that. I know a lot of fans agree him. Nothing gained though.

Reactions: humblesooner
I judge a coach more on his bowl record than the conference record. The Big 12 nor the Big 8 are/were mighty conferences. Really very few are for any length of time. So, for me, I look at how we compete against other schools that have managed to earn a bowl spot. I'm just not pleased with Bob's bowl record and it's not about the win-loss record. It's how fricking bad his team's have lost. The Boise State loss didn't bother me THAT MUCH EXCEPT FOR A MONTH because it was a great play that beat us. But the West Virginia, USC, Texas A&M, Clemson games were so fricking bad it's just not bearable. Sorry, but I'm don't think Bob will ever win another national championship at OU. But I don't think I could name a better coach that the Sooners could hire at the present. That pisses me off.

I judge a coach more on his bowl record than the conference record. The Big 12 nor the Big 8 are/were mighty conferences. Really very few are for any length of time. So, for me, I look at how we compete against other schools that have managed to earn a bowl spot. I'm just not pleased with Bob's bowl record and it's not about the win-loss record. It's how fricking bad his team's have lost. The Boise State loss didn't bother me THAT MUCH EXCEPT FOR A MONTH because it was a great play that beat us. But the West Virginia, USC, Texas A&M, Clemson games were so fricking bad it's just not bearable. Sorry, but I'm don't think Bob will ever win another national championship at OU. But I don't think I could name a better coach that the Sooners could hire at the present. That pisses me off.

Bob's is a great person with good character. However, we all know his coaching is slipping. Sometimes, embarrassing with total blowout games. When narrators of the game notices stuff on the field, that really gets me hot under the collar. We have had Bob so long, that some of the fans are scared of change. I am not one of them.

Hum, I think it's a wait and see. I personally feel, Ventables was held back.

I think it was more of Mike being in the way rather than Brent being held back. It may be that Bob put more weight behind Mike's ideas and that got under Brent's skin after a while (besides Mike coming back as Co-DC), so when Clemson came knocking, he didn't have to think twice.

I think it was more of Mike being in the way rather than Brent being held back. It may be that Bob put more weight behind Mike's ideas and that got under Brent's skin after a while (besides Mike coming back as Co-DC), so when Clemson came knocking, he didn't have to think twice.

Yet Mike wasn't here for USC, WVU, aTm... so it was either Brent or Bob on those...

I disagree that the game has passed Bob. I still think he brings in some very good talent, puts together some very good teams and keeps the winning tradition alive (although nowhere near where we used to from 2003-2009). But it seems like we're missing out on about three or four impact recruits each year that we were getting in the early and mid 2000s. As a result, OU has become a Top 15 program, but no longer an elite program that is perennially in the Top 5.

So, for me, it comes down to recruiting and getting the "right guys" who can elevate this program back to the upper echelon. That, and getting rid of Mike Stoops.

Reactions: Oklabama
We just went to the Final Four last year, that's not a Coach the game has passed. Two of the biggest problems right now. One, Mike Stoops, he never should have came back. Two, The Asst Coaches have been decent coaches but not great recruiters. Until this year BV was the best recruiter for at least 3 years, maybe more.

OU needs to get back to Top 5 recruiting classes every year. They need to get the Big Uglies and build around those guys. It ALL starts up front.

Bob's is a great person with good character. However, we all know his coaching is slipping. Sometimes, embarrassing with total blowout games. When narrators of the game notices stuff on the field, that really gets me hot under the collar. We have had Bob so long, that some of the fans are scared of change. I am not one of them.

Don't speak for me. You can bolster whatever dramatic opinion you have through delusion, but don't make it out to be universally held or even a majority opinion.

Reactions: anon_5z68cgtvj4ggn
He expanded on his comments today. I don't read opinions that long, but I read quite a bit. It was alright there was some Bob praise included in it. I did see something at the end that could be true. He said he did it to fire everyone up. I hope it works.

Four or five years ago there was, maybe, two or three coaches better than Bob. Now there is five or six better than Bob. The older one gets the more ground one loses in a vastly progressive atmosphere. I speak from experience. The pillars of eras gone by are just that, gone by.

Bob's heart is in it. The problem is the game has passed Mike by and Bob being the loyalist that he is he's never going to fire his brother. Bob's heart is in it.

"What makes a man? Doing the right thing?" The Big Lebowski.

"Yeah, that and having a pair of testicles." The Dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: ccraider
Boz isn't the only former Sooner great to suggest that OU may need a change. I am a big Switzer fan but there is no need for Barry to hone in on Bosworth. Spencer Tillman has been much more vocal and I don't recall anyone suggesting that the "bridges be burnt" with regard to Tillman and OU. Cool it, Barry.

We always knew Saba and Meyer were top shelf coaches but Chris Peterson has created a Pac 12 monster at Washington and he started from scratch. I'm glad that Herman took one up the backside at Navy yesterday. I would not want to see him at Texas. Navy is not a bottom dweller. They looked pretty good on both sides of the ball.

We always knew Saba and Meyer were top shelf coaches but Chris Peterson has created a Pac 12 monster at Washington and he started from scratch. I'm glad that Herman took one up the backside at Navy yesterday. I would not want to see him at Texas. Navy is not a bottom dweller. They looked pretty good on both sides of the ball.
Herman is still a hot commodity for other coaching jobs. It's almost impossible to make Houston what Miami (another inner city program) was in the 1980's and 1990's. Herman's bags may already be packed....behind closed doors.

Reactions: Oklabama

Don't be thick. 'We all' isn't unspecified. I am not afraid of change, I think that our coaches change significantly over the years.

I think you are a nobody who thinks he knows more than an elite coach.

You can't compare Bozworth to Spencer Tillman. Spencer was doing his job as an unbiased reporter. Box missed a huge bowl game because of stupidity. He also wrote a book that was anything but good for OU's image. The nut also says the program Barry Switzer built. Oh really Bud won 47 strait. Steroid Boz I lost respect for him. Loyalty is whining in these modern times if the going gets rough. Texas has been down long enough for UT fans to be less dillusional than OU message board fans. My Longhorn buddies think you guys are crazy wanting Stoops gone. I'm just amused with the logic used by some posters.

UW has looked good so far but I have to tap the breaks on them just a bit, personally. Their marquee win is Stanford, whom Wazzu just handed their collective hats to them on their own field last night. Oregon is now on a 4 game losing streak, Arizona is 2-4, & UW's P5 OOC win is over Rutgers, who lost a nail biter yesterday to Michigan to the tune of 78-0. The only team they've played besides Stanford who's even .500 is 3-3 Idaho, & they're only there because they beat that same La. Monroe team that OU barely broke a sweat against earlier this year by a whopping 3 points on a last second FG.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
I am torn myself. I think he's still got what it takes, I just don't know if his heart has been in it for several years now. I know it could be worse, I get that, but kind of like a relationship that is really shaky...do you stay in it because you are scared of being alone or do you move on and find something better?

I also look at it this way, we've gone through the litany of coaches and still have mediocre performances especially defensively and for a long while offensively. They can't all have sucked so the one remaining factor that has been there throughout is Bob. Look at Brent Venables and what he's doing now...did he not do that here because he was held back or are we just not recruiting players that could make a difference? Our secondary has been crap (for the most part) for a very long time.

The Boz speaks
Boz is a moron... He actually brought up the 2014 bowl game when OU had to play Knight at 50%. The fact of the matter is Boz wouldn't be able to stop these offenses either he played against terrible teams 90% of the time

Reactions: CTOkie
That 2014 bowl game against Clemson it would have made ZERO difference if Knight had been 100%. Clemson could have rolled up 60+ on OU that night if they wanted to. So guess Boz isn't as big a moron as you want him to be.....

And nobody can say "fact of the matter" if Boz would have any success against today's offenses or not. But there is little doubt the energy and desire he played with. I would LOVE to have a defense full of THAT kind of mindset at OU right now.

That 2014 bowl game against Clemson it would have made ZERO difference if Knight had been 100%. Clemson could have rolled up 60+ on OU that night if they wanted to. So guess Boz isn't as big a moron as you want him to be.....

And nobody can say "fact of the matter" if Boz would have any success against today's offenses or not. But there is little doubt the energy and desire he played with. I would LOVE to have a defense full of THAT kind of mindset at OU right now.
Boz would be an average LB today against these offenses. Great run stopper but Miami lit him up each time they played. Bob could care less what ex players say in fact he still allows them to roam the sideline while he racks up win after win.

Reactions: CTOkie
Boz would be an average LB today against these offenses. Great run stopper but Miami lit him up each time they played. Bob could care less what ex players say in fact he still allows them to roam the sideline while he racks up win after win.

Maybe we can stick him in as a corner and he could vastly improve what we have going on there. Hell, let's just go to a club and grab a 60 year old drunk guy...that would be an improvement.

I don't necessarily agree with everything that Boz said, but something needs to be done. The secondary has been burned more often than the Israeli flag in Iran. Everything just seems so chaotic a lot of the time and that typically says coaching.

I don't have the answer, but pay me 5 Mil and I'll come up with something.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Boz would be an average LB today against these offenses. Great run stopper but Miami lit him up each time they played.
Baseless assumption. Two completely different eras of football. All you can do for certain is compare them to their peers of the time. That's like saying a guy like Leroy Selmon would be average against offenses of today. So trying to say for certain how he would fare in modern day college football is nothing but blind foolishness. But one thing is fact...the way he played was unbelievable. And that type of attitude on the field is what OU seems to be missing these days. And his ability to disrupt plays and pressure the QB would be HIGHLY sought after right now to help out this awful OU secondary.

Former Sooner players should feel as though they can express their opinions just like any OU fan. I may not agree with their thoughts or what they suggest, but if anyone has earned that right, it's a former player. And that goes for Boz or his good friend and teammate Tony Casillas.

Baseless assumption. Two completely different eras of football. All you can do for certain is compare them to their peers of the time. That's like saying a guy like Leroy Selmon would be average against offenses of today. So trying to say for certain how he would fare in modern day college football is nothing but blind foolishness. But one thing is fact...the way he played was unbelievable. And that type of attitude on the field is what OU seems to be missing these days. And his ability to disrupt plays and pressure the QB would be HIGHLY sought after right now to help out this awful OU secondary.
One cannot compare great players from one era to another because of the size and speed and overall athleticism of contemporary athletes.
There are exceptions but generally players of long ago would not be able to compete today.

Former Sooner players should feel as though they can express their opinions just like any OU fan. I may not agree with their thoughts or what they suggest, but if anyone has earned that right, it's a former player. And that goes for Boz or his good friend and teammate Tony Casillas.

I agree with this, however the only restraining factor might be that their opinion gets wider coverage than the average fan. I think that if they said something like this after one game when everything else was going well then it would be very unhelpful. I have been known to be totally unreasonable after a loss that never should have happened, but thank God the media isn't standing next to me waiting to hear what I think. Hehe

A respected ex player can have an energizing effect if it is constructive criticism and even give a kick in the ass that is sometimes needed when things have gotten a little too lax.

Boz was a roided up madman who was selfish most of his attitude was due to the drugs. You saw the real Boz in the pros without help from roids

And I've yet to see Kerry Cooks' name mentioned in any of these bitching threads.

Good point but the secondary has sucked before he came along, hard to pin a problem on this one guy that goes back much further than that. So move up the chain of command and see who has been there during the entire suckage. I'd argue that it was around even before Mike Stoops but not quite as bad.

We can blame the nature of the offenses we face and I'm sure that plays a part to some extent, but for the last 4-5 years it's just been really bad in my opinion which might be worth what you paid to hear it.

One cannot compare great players from one era to another because of the size and speed and overall athleticism of contemporary athletes.
There are exceptions but generally players of long ago would not be able to compete today.
Maybe not. But had players of the 70s or 80s grown up in today's environment of football then it's highly likely they would have different athleticism sets than they did back then. A Brian Bosworth in today's world would most likely be more capable than he was 35 years ago due to the increased knowledge of training and nutrition of todays training.

But one thing that does NOT change is the heart, the desire, and the effort that person puts into their playing style. Those things are never replaced with anything else. A player either has them, or they don't. And that's irrelevant as to what era or decade they played football.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT