ADVERTISEMENT

Even the Boz is questioning if it's time to move on from Stoops

I speak the truth... if anybody is hammering Mike Stoops for the D Saturday then they know nothing about football. Ou is playing guys most have never heard of because of injuries. D linemen not able to rotate because some guys don't want to play for selfish reasons. Walker should never see the field for mighty Ou ever again

Okay, I missed it. What did Walker do? Seriously. I thought he was just injured last week.

Mike is a top 5 D coordinator all time. There is a reason Urban Meyer wanted to hire him so badly

Wow. I wouldn't have ranked him that high. I'm going to have to see how many great DCs I can rank below Mike. "I know it's down there somewhere. Let me take another look". I would have thought Bob would be above Mike, but maybe not.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Mike is a top 5 D coordinator all time. There is a reason Urban Meyer wanted to hire him so badly
So now you are bragging about jobs Mike interviewed for and wasn't hired for?? Is this even serious?? I'm willing to bet Urban is damn glad he passed on Mike several years ago that's for sure. When Urban rolled into Norman last month and handed down that beating to Mike's defense, I bet he is even embarrassed that he wasted that time on interviewing Mike.
But even if Urban had hired Mike, do you really think if Mikes defenses at Ohio State had mirrored what has happened at OU the last few years. Do you REALLY BELIEVE he would still be employed at Ohio State??
And saying Mike is Top 5 ALL TIME is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in the history of the internet.

So now you are bragging about jobs Mike interviewed for and wasn't hired for?? Is this even serious?? I'm willing to bet Urban is damn glad he passed on Mike several years ago that's for sure. When Urban rolled into Norman last month and handed down that beating to Mike's defense, I bet he is even embarrassed that he wasted that time on interviewing Mike.
But even if Urban had hired Mike, do you really think if Mikes defenses at Ohio State had mirrored what has happened at OU the last few years. Do you REALLY BELIEVE he would still be employed at Ohio State??
And saying Mike is Top 5 ALL TIME is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in the history of the internet.
When Mike left Zona he interviewed with Meyer but of course Mike chose Ou. Mike is highly regarded, I would say Mike and Muschamp are the best D coordinators of the Last 15 years. Coach V is up there but we all know Mike is a better coach

Bob is up there but Mike has been a coordinator longer. The Ou D 2000-2003 was unbelievable.

He was a co-defensive coordinator though right? Man sounds like I'm so against him when I'm really not. I just think that by himself he hasn't been as great as you are making him out to be and I actually do like him. I was one of the people that was happy when he came back. I'm just not as thrilled with what we've done since his return...although I do recognize that it could have been much worse.

When Mike left Zona he interviewed with Meyer but of course Mike chose Ou. Mike is highly regarded, I would say Mike and Muschamp are the best D coordinators of the Last 15 years. Coach V is up there but we all know Mike is a better coach
It's all about players Holmes... Mike will have a sick D coming up with these young players and the fantastic class coming in. Good times are ahead for the Ou D

I've been keeping it light and fun, but it's getting a little strange. First of all just attempting to rank the top 5 DCs OF ALL TIME would be ridiculously subjective from fan base to fan base, sports media to sports media, even head coach to head coach. Ask Switzer, Nick Saban, Phil Fulmer, Frank Broyles, David Shaw, or ten other coaches, I doubt they would list 5 that they all agreed upon. Let ESPN decide! No! Mike had a couple of years but he is no where close to be in the conversation as many others.

I've been keeping it light and fun, but it's getting a little strange. First of all just attempting to rank the top 5 DCs OF ALL TIME would be ridiculously subjective from fan base to fan base, sports media to sports media, even head coach to head coach. Ask Switzer, Nick Saban, Phil Fulmer, Frank Broyles, David Shaw, or ten other coaches, I doubt they would list 5 that they all agreed upon. Let ESPN decide! No! Mike had a couple of years but he is no where close to be in the conversation as many others.
Exactly but you have to keep the village idiots guessing lmao

Venables, Muschamp, Kirby Smart, Bud Foster, Dave Aranda. I'd take any one of those over the present iteration of Mike S.

Again though, I'm not anti Mike Stoops...I just don't think he's all that and a bag of chips.
Venables was average at best after Mike left. In 2008 his D got lit 5-6 times but the offense was so good. Bud Foster is laughable his VT defenses were solid but they played in a terrible league. Keep it coming boys this is funny

Venables was average at best after Mike left. In 2008 his D got lit 5-6 times but the offense was so good. Bud Foster is laughable his VT defenses were solid but they played in a terrible league. Keep it coming boys this is funny

I just picked a few modern examples and it wasn't hard to do. You can say what you want but you offered an opinion and so did I. You have no basis for your opinion, there are no facts behind it....it's just a bias. Mike S was a co-defensive coordinator during his greatest moments and V has beaten both of the Stoops brothers like step children in the last 2 games we've played against him. Seems like he may have been held back to me.

So far he's proven on the field what he's capable of directly against both of them. Until we reverse that, I'll have to keep that opinion.

I will say this...I hope you make me eat my words about Mike. I hope he is the 2nd coming and we march to the Sugar bowl and blow out whoever we play. I'll be thrilled to say that I was wrong.

I will take Rufus and Curtis Lofton anyday as a leader and the Vocal leader of my team. Boz is a punk and welcomed back to the program even though he was a big reason for the probation. I'm proud to have the Stoops brothers running the Football program at a very high level
Bosworth in his 1988 biography blew the whistle on the wild behavior during Switzer's last years.....drug use, guns, and other misdeeds by OU players.....but he was only one source and he was truthful.
I choose to blame OU and Switzer for its probation in the late 1980's.

Some of you haven't been paying attention. The best coach is the one with the best players. Try to keep up.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
BrentV is on another level now that he left OU. Mike isn't even close to BrentV, and it showed in the last 2 bowl games against Clemson. Last season, OU's offense was rolling, and BrentV's defense just demolished them. BrentV is coaching defenses making runs for national titles right now, while Mike is still trying to get his players lined up properly between plays.
And to say Bud Foster is laughable just showcases what we are dealing with here everyone. Foster is prolly one of the most consistent DC's in nearly the last 2 decades. Mike isn't even remotely close to Foster when it comes to putting quality defenses on the field. And VTech being in the ACC doesn't matter. OU is in the pitiful Big XII, so where is Mikes excuse??

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Mike is a good....not great....DC, and this season features a team short on elite defensive talent which has lead to OU to giving up an average of 41 points per game in its efforts against Houston, Ohio State, TCU and Texas.
A few years ago, when Mike was moved from the sideline to press box coaching, the word I heard was his volatility was a factor.

I just picked a few modern examples and it wasn't hard to do. You can say what you want but you offered an opinion and so did I. You have no basis for your opinion, there are no facts behind it....it's just a bias. Mike S was a co-defensive coordinator during his greatest moments and V has beaten both of the Stoops brothers like step children in the last 2 games we've played against him. Seems like he may have been held back to me.

So far he's proven on the field what he's capable of directly against both of them. Until we reverse that, I'll have to keep that opinion.

I will say this...I hope you make me eat my words about Mike. I hope he is the 2nd coming and we march to the Sugar bowl and blow out whoever we play. I'll be thrilled to say that I was wrong.
I'm pretty sure Clemson has had better athletes than Ou the last couple of years. Ou has to recruit better especially on D

BrentV is on another level now that he left OU. Mike isn't even close to BrentV, and it showed in the last 2 bowl games against Clemson. Last season, OU's offense was rolling, and BrentV's defense just demolished them. BrentV is coaching defenses making runs for national titles right now, while Mike is still trying to get his players lined up properly between plays.
And to say Bud Foster is laughable just showcases what we are dealing with here everyone. Foster is prolly one of the most consistent DC's in nearly the last 2 decades. Mike isn't even remotely close to Foster when it comes to putting quality defenses on the field. And VTech being in the ACC doesn't matter. OU is in the pitiful Big XII, so where is Mikes excuse??
VT played against bad offenses. You say pittiful big12 which shows how dumb you are since the offenses and qbs are beyond sick. these offenses would have ripped Foster apart. Hell even Bama gets lit against good offenses

Also, from an article below, ACCORDING TO BLEVINS. Who knows if Meyers even interviewed him,

Is new Ohio St. Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer going to compose a staff entirely of former coaches? He's already retained 2010 Buckeyes interim coach Luke Fickell as his defensive coordinator, and, according to Dean Blevins, wants former Arizona Wildcats coach Mike Stoops to help out with the D.

Reactions: BillyRay
I'm pretty sure Clemson has had better athletes than Ou the last couple of years. Ou has to recruit better especially on D

On what basis do you make that assessment? Seriously you can't just throw shit up in the air and hope it turns to gold to rain down upon your head.

Also, if we need to recruit better...why haven't we? who is at fault for that?

Reactions: BillyRay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT