ADVERTISEMENT

bye week, work on defense glitches

I wouldn't describe it as a glitch, but I agree we have a lot to work on. I expected Mbanasor to do a better job but looks like we wasn't able to cover anyone. Isn't this the 2nd time Jordan Thomas has been in trouble this year? Seems like we aren't going to be able to depend on that guy

Reactions: BillyRay
After watching TU light up our D, I'm even more concerned about Baylor, TCU and OSU. I know it's "one game at a time," but the improvement on D I was seeing after the first two weeks was short-lived. TU is a vastly improved team under Montgomery and I would not be surprised to see them bowling at the end of the season.

Schooner I said this last week even after the Tenn win, our secondary is terrible. I've stated Sanchez is average, others call him elite and one poster made the stupid comment he was our best corner in years. How many times do "elite" corners get picked on over and over? Lol. The bad thing is? The Thomas duo( even though one didn't play today) is even worse. Mike stoops has no idea how to defend a spread and I mean NO idea

What we saw today was what I feared most, and why I reserved judgement on the defense last week. The secondary doesn't seem much better than last year when we got killed with the big play. Akron couldn't really expose it, TN didn't really want to throw the ball much so the first team we play that can toss it around did so at will.

I really hope we can get it together, but based on what happened last year around this time, it's a little scary to think about.

What we saw today was what I feared most, and why I reserved judgement on the defense last week. The secondary doesn't seem much better than last year when we got killed with the big play. Akron couldn't really expose it, TN didn't really want to throw the ball much so the first team we play that can toss it around did so at will.

I really hope we can get it together, but based on what happened last year around this time, it's a little scary to think about.
If we can get our defense on track and work out some areas OU would be unstoppable, our offense is clicking on all cylinders.

We need to really do some better recruiting on defense, it seems we have been struggling with finding quality corners.

AbsoluteZero and soonerfastnloud I agree. But let's also remember that Kerry Cooks is in his first season of taking over coaching up OUs secondary. Today was that groups first real test. Pretty obvious there are still shortcomings in the secondary, but now OU has a couple of weeks to evaluate the good and the bad and work on it. Let's see how Cooks and Mike can work together to figure something out for the rest of the season. But if OU trots out what we saw today against Baylor, TCU or OSU, then I hope Baker and Riley can score a ton of points to just win shootouts.

AbsoluteZero and soonerfastnloud I agree. But let's also remember that Kerry Cooks is in his first season of taking over coaching up OUs secondary. Today was that groups first real test. Pretty obvious there are still shortcomings in the secondary, but now OU has a couple of weeks to evaluate the good and the bad and work on it. Let's see how Cooks and Mike can work together to figure something out for the rest of the season. But if OU trots out what we saw today against Baylor, TCU or OSU, then I hope Baker and Riley can score a ton of points to just win shootouts.

I so desperately hope that you are right. It isn't that I want them to fail, entirely the opposite...but it is really nerve wracking to see the exact same problems exist that really hurt us last year with the secondary.

The offense being on top of it is a bit iffy right now too. They looked stellar this game, but they need to do that against a strong D like TCU.

I think this team is better than last year, but I'm just not sure how much better yet. 3-0 is a good start. I like that we are scrappy and don't just give up too.

Reactions: iasooner1
I so desperately hope that you are right. It isn't that I want them to fail, entirely the opposite...but it is really nerve wracking to see the exact same problems exist that really hurt us last year with the secondary.

The offense being on top of it is a bit iffy right now too. They looked stellar this game, but they need to do that against a strong D like TCU.

I think this team is better than last year, but I'm just not sure how much better yet. 3-0 is a good start. I like that we are scrappy and don't just give up too.
It is very obvious that Mayfield is a baller, he won't go down without a fight to the end. The defense still has the same old problems quick release from our opponent qb and we get beat over and over. WE have to fix this.

It is very obvious that Mayfield is a baller, he won't go down without a fight to the end. The defense still has the same old problems quick release from our opponent qb and we get beat over and over. WE have to fix this.

How do we do that? The blitz sure won't work. Tighter coverage leaves us open for the long pass. Maybe our coaches need to study the Michigan State bowl game from last year. I still say an accurate q-b is unstoppable. You just have to out score them............

Reactions: iasooner1
We have good players, and when you see the same mistakes being made week in and week out, year in and year out, that is a coaching/scheming problem. The Tulsa offense used the "Baylor system" and made us look bad. If TU can do that we had better make some major changes before we actually face Baylor!
We might want to re-think OUr offensive plans in that Baylor game. How about using the clock to shorten that game. We have certainly had years and years of lesser teams using that tactic against us!

Thinking our secondary issues can be solved during bye week is wishful thinking when the problem is The D coordinator. Bob Stoops better step in because WV is as good or better than Tulsa.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Since Stoops returned to Oklahoma to be the Sooners’ defensive coordinator, Oklahoma has allowed more than 500 yards six times. A secondary that was the only defense in the nation to allow 125 yards or less in each of its first two games of this season now has some serious flaws. The common denominator is MIKE STOOPS.

If we can get our defense on track and work out some areas OU would be unstoppable, our offense is clicking on all cylinders.
OU has not played championship caliber defense in many years so I don't see a bye week to improve things as any kind of answer. The secondary and the defensive line have to become as good on their side of the ball as the offense is on its side of the ball....in very simple terms.
Playing in a wide open conference (and in an era of college ball where defense takes a back seat to offense), I see more Tulsa-type games forthcoming....West Virginia, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor and OSU will get plenty of points on OU.

While OU's offense is explosive and fun to watch, it will be to the betterment of OU's defense if the running game can be better used to increase time of possession keeping opponents' offense off the field. In the Tennessee and Tulsa games I thought the defense was on the field too much. In games upcoming OU's defense will be tested even more than the Tulsa and Tennessee games.
It would also help to avoid turnovers, something that did not happen yesterday and something that made a blowout win into a much close game than it should have been.
In fairness to OU's defense however, look at how the TCU, Alabama, Texas, Texas Tech and Oregon defenses did in their games. This is an era of college football of high scoring offenses combined with parity and increasing numbers of injuries. The results of these factors make the game more unpredictable than ever.
The name of the game theses days seems to be to survive anyway possible, even winning ugly and move on.....and in OU's case, also keeping Mayfield in an upright position.

OU has not played championship caliber defense in many years so I don't see a bye week to improve things as any kind of answer. The secondary and the defensive line have to become as good on their side of the ball as the offense is on its side of the ball....in very simple terms.
Playing in a wide open conference (and in an era of college ball where defense takes a back seat to offense), I see more Tulsa-type games forthcoming....West Virginia, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor and OSU will get plenty of points on OU.

While OU's offense is explosive and fun to watch, it will be to the betterment of OU's defense if the running game can be better used to increase time of possession keeping opponents' offense off the field. In the Tennessee and Tulsa games I thought the defense was on the field too much. In games upcoming OU's defense will be tested even more than the Tulsa and Tennessee games.
It would also help to avoid turnovers, something that did not happen yesterday and something that made a blowout win into a much close game than it should have been.
In fairness to OU's defense however, look at how the TCU, Alabama, Texas, Texas Tech and Oregon defenses did in their games. This is an era of college football of high scoring offenses combined with parity and increasing numbers of injuries. The results of these factors make the game more unpredictable than ever.
The name of the game theses days seems to be to survive anyway possible, even winning ugly and move on.....and in OU's case, also keeping Mayfield in an upright position.
YES, maybe this is the correct approach. Football has changed, we need the running game more up tempo wear out the defense and move the clock.

Watched BYU and UCLA game last night, both had great defense, however, BYU could not stop the run. If we get the running game going along with passing, we could eat defenses.

We fumbled twice in the red zone. Add 14 points to our score and it looks completely different. We get picked apart by quick release offenses.

I really hate quotes like this... do you know how many games have been lost because of fumbles lol. your quote takes Tulsa's defense completely out of those fumbles, You are acting like Tulsa had no part in the fumble. if the field goal would not have been tipped, if the player would not have fallen, if the ref would not have called that. WHAT IF FANS DID NOT HANG THERE HATS ON LOSER QUOTES.

There are literally hundreds of what ifs in this game, What if Tulsa would not have been called for the illegal receiver down field. then the game is a one TD game going into the 4th. what if the OU player had not tipped the field goal, then the game is a 4pt game going into the 4th, what if the hail marry hit the turf, what if the onside kick would not have happened. you see what im saying playing the what if game is DUMB

I think we all are just looking at future games, and we don't need a crystal ball to know we are headed for trouble unless we find a solution to our defense. Getting the run game going steady and eating clock seems to be our best options. Quick release offenses will eat us up. We will have to outlast, out score to survive.

I really hate quotes like this... do you know how many games have been lost because of fumbles lol. your quote takes Tulsa's defense completely out of those fumbles, You are acting like Tulsa had no part in the fumble. if the field goal would not have been tipped, if the player would not have fallen, if the ref would not have called that. WHAT IF FANS DID NOT HANG THERE HATS ON LOSER QUOTES.

There are literally hundreds of what ifs in this game, What if Tulsa would not have been called for the illegal receiver down field. then the game is a one TD game going into the 4th. what if the OU player had not tipped the field goal, then the game is a 4pt game going into the 4th, what if the hail marry hit the turf, what if the onside kick would not have happened. you see what im saying playing the what if game is DUMB

^^^ Right on the money post is right on the money!!! :cool:

I'm pretty sure most people are going to go crazy if Mike employs this same "lay off 10 yards" against Baylor again. Is that the only defense he can think of against the spread? We going to let Baylor dink and dunk down the field all night long?

I don't know but I imagine Mike wishes he had corners good enough to not play with a cushion. We don't have players to play press coverage maybe.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
I'm reading all the comments and it occurred to me that a lot of posters have the impression that OU is suppose to challenge for the Big 12 this year, while preseason I read many, many posts predicting anywhere from an 8-4 to 10-2 season. I don't recall anyone predicting 12-0, so what has changed? OU isn't suppose to beat TCU or Baylor this year. Personally, I think Bob has them playing just about the way I thought they would....except I was surprised how much grit and toughness they have shown thus far. I like this team, but I'm not expecting greatness and it would take greatness to beat either or both TCU and Baylor from what I've seen so far. I think OU has as good a chance to beat Tech, WV and OSU as they do to lose those games (the Sooners should win 2 of the 3), but wins over either TCU or Baylor would be surprising and GREAT. I love surprises like those, but I would be unpleasantly surprised and disappointed if the Sooners lost to any of the other Big 12 teams. If this team continues to fight hard to the end, it may look ugly sometimes, but I think 2015 will turn out to be a good season.

Last edited:
Glitches?

We have Dlineman not set
We have half the defense, looking at the sidelines, as the ball snapped
We have LB's rolling the edges on 3rd down and 2
We have DB's not engaging WR and knocking them off timing routes
and Sanchez still gets burned every time on the double move
Take the edges away and make the WR pay on the inside routes.
Get your knuckles down and your head up
Gap control on the obvious running plays
Tulsa broke a 100 year old record, against a Mike Stoops defense, Tulsa

Read my post again....Your reading comprehension is weak at best and ignorant at worse. Jumping to conclusions? Where did I take away from Tulsa's part in the fumbles.....where did I use "what if". I really hate when people read more than what is printed.

Glitches?

We have Dlineman not set
We have half the defense, looking at the sidelines, as the ball snapped
We have LB's rolling the edges on 3rd down and 2
We have DB's not engaging WR and knocking them off timing routes
and Sanchez still gets burned every time on the double move
Take the edges away and make the WR pay on the inside routes.
Get your knuckles down and your head up
Gap control on the obvious running plays
Tulsa broke a 100 year old record, against a Mike Stoops defense, Tulsa

Oh great, another gloomer...............

ALWAYS, ALWAYS PLAY LIKE A CHAMPION, IS THIS OUR MOTO. HELL YEAH WE EXPECT TO WIN EVERY GAME.

WE HAVE SO FAR. HEY THIS ALL CAPS LOOKS GREAT! :)

We are 3-0. We have no idea how good Tulsa will be this year. I suspect they will do well with a very accurate Q-B and two very good wide outs.

I wonder if the Buckeyes are melting down after the one touchdown win against N. Illini?

Sooner fans on this board are never satisfied, some just sit back and wait and predict bad to happen. OU is 3-0 most of these realist predicted 2-1 start. TCU just about lost to a team who didn't win a game last season. And some think they're invincible. Don't be shy go look at TCU defensive stats from last night. The number 1 team in football was taken to the wire by handkerchief State. You arm chair coaches on this board make me laugh out loud. OU won get it they won, the game was never and I mean never in doubt. Some of you idiots yes I said idiots should be ashamed of your self dogging a team that won comfortably that you say you love. All I can do is shake my damn head.

Sooner fans on this board are never satisfied, some just sit back and wait and predict bad to happen. OU is 3-0 most of these realist predicted 2-1 start. TCU just about lost to a team who didn't win a game last season. And some think they're invincible. Don't be shy go look at TCU defensive stats from last night. The number 1 team in football was taken to the wire by handkerchief State. You arm chair coaches on this board make me laugh out loud. OU won get it they won, the game was never and I mean never in doubt. Some of you idiots yes I said idiots should be ashamed of your self dogging a team that won comfortably that you say you love. All I can do is shake my damn head.
I AM SORRY BOSS.

OU won get it they won, the game was never and I mean never in doubt. Some of you idiots yes I said idiots should be ashamed of your self dogging a team that won comfortably that you say you love. All I can do is shake my damn head.

I totally disagree with you SoonerMike. Our game with Tulsa was in doubt all the way up to 1:00 remaining in the 4th quarter. It wasn't until we took the victory formation that a knowledgeable OU fan could breath easier. Did you even watch the game? The name calling is totally unnecessary.

I AM SORRY BOSS.

11159869_ori.jpg

I totally disagree with you SoonerMike. Our game with Tulsa was in doubt all the way up to 1:00 remaining in the 4th quarter. It wasn't until we took the victory formation that a knowledgeable OU fan could breath easier. Did you even watch the game? The name calling is totally unnecessary.

Yes I watched the game, and I stand by my post, the game was never in doubt. The Sooners stopped Tulsa four times in the third and fourth quarter and at one point in the fourth quarter had a 21 point lead. No the game was never in doubt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT