ADVERTISEMENT

bye week, work on defense glitches

Mike you must admit your "idiot" comment was over the line.

The folks I'm talk
Mike you must admit your "idiot" comment was over the line.

Might have been, however calling for Mike Stoops head game after game gets old to me. This team is 3-0 if you come to this board and didn't know any better, reading this board, you would think OU is 0-3. Baylor, TCU, and OSU have played handkerchief state teams. No team is as good or bad as the last year. And it's BS for anyone to base how a team will fair vs another team based on that. OU's D got stops when they needed to, and it was enough to take a 14 point win. It's absolutely fact that Baylor has played a weak schedule, it's a fact that TCU has played a week schedule, it's also fact that OSU has played High School teams. TCU and OSU has looked horrible winning. Only Baylor has looked good playing the D2 schools. Based off what I see. OSU would be 1 and 2 playing OU's schedule. And TCU would be 2 and 1. This is based on this season's play not last season. I say enjoy the win and go to the next. Hell some on this site even stated WVU will beat us my god man.

Maybe I drank too much during the game, but I didn't see anything crazy scary.
I was disappointed in Mbanasor's inability to turn his head in coverage, but he got yanked and I thought Marcus Green did a great job in substitution.
Steven Parker is finally showing the beauty of his skills.
Did Byrd even play? I remember seeing Ahmad Thomas, and he seemed unimpressive like last year.
Sanchez is legit and anyone doubting that is silly. I was happy to see him finally being willing to duck his head and hit on tackles.
Linebackers are looking great. Bond is still impressing even in defensive lackluster performances.

It's funny to me. The week leading up to the game, almost everyone here patted Tulsa on the back for their great offense and coach. When they proved us right, then we start whining that it's just Tulsa. So which is it? They have a good coach and offense or not?

I was feeling the same as Mike. I came here to join in the celebration.
Texas fans are celebrating a damn moral victory. K2C hit the nail on the head this ain't 1985.
Oh lol is usually antagonizing posters
What's new about that?

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
It's funny to me. The week leading up to the game, almost everyone here patted Tulsa on the back for their great offense and coach. When they proved us right, then we start whining that it's just Tulsa. So which is it? They have a good coach and offense or not?

Tulsa's coach is definitely legit. He took Baylor's offense to Tulsa and has immediately turned Tulsa into a pretty potent offense. This is mostly the same Tulsa team that OU pummeled 52-7 last year. No doubt most everyone figured Tulsa would have some success moving the ball and score some points. Only the hardcore pumpers figured OU would completely shut them down. And maybe some got a false sense of security in the defense especially after the Tennessee game. But Tulsa's offense is on another level than Tennessee's, and I don't think anyone expected Tulsa to roll up over 600yds of offense and still be very much in the game only down a TD nearing the start of the 4th qtr. And it's not like they hung around cuz OU was having an off-day offensively. OU hung half a hundred on them.

All some are saying is it's worrisome because OU will see similar offenses at the end of the season that either have athletes as good, or prolly better than Tulsa has. In other words, that warm and fuzzy feeling the defense gave OU fans after the Tennessee game.....it's no longer warm and fuzzy.

Tulsa's coach is definitely legit. He took Baylor's offense to Tulsa and has immediately turned Tulsa into a pretty potent offense. This is mostly the same Tulsa team that OU pummeled 52-7 last year. No doubt most everyone figured Tulsa would have some success moving the ball and score some points. Only the hardcore pumpers figured OU would completely shut them down. And maybe some got a false sense of security in the defense especially after the Tennessee game. But Tulsa's offense is on another level than Tennessee's, and I don't think anyone expected Tulsa to roll up over 600yds of offense and still be very much in the game only down a TD nearing the start of the 4th qtr. And it's not like they hung around cuz OU was having an off-day offensively. OU hung half a hundred on them.

All some are saying is it's worrisome because OU will see similar offenses at the end of the season that either have athletes as good, or prolly better than Tulsa has. In other words, that warm and fuzzy feeling the defense gave OU fans after the Tennessee game.....it's no longer warm and fuzzy.

I love this click to the end of the third quarter when the score is 44 to 31 and then at the 8 minute mark in the 4th the score is still 44 to 31 and OU moving the ball to make it a 21 point lead. Never was it closer than 14 points in the second half. So why say it was within 7 Points when it wasn't in the 4th? Here ya go, but you thought you could use a slide of hand.

We can all freak out after WVU if we have similar results. Coming off a huge win we were due for a let down and ran into the perfect buzz saw. Good offensive team with an extremely accurate QB and big/fast WRs and PJs intro to CFB didn't help. They also executed two of the lowest probability plays in football with the onside and Hail Mary. And a couple of the TD throws wouldn't of mattered if Deon Sanders was in coverage. Perfect passes.

Ccraider fans are worried because we see the exact same mistakes as in recent years. Its not always the players, its the schemes. Wake up everyone

Reactions: BillyRay
I love this click to the end of the third quarter when the score is 44 to 31 and then at the 8 minute mark in the 4th the score is still 44 to 31 and OU moving the ball to make it a 21 point lead. Never was it closer than 14 points in the second half. So why say it was within 7 Points when it wasn't in the 4th? Here ya go, but you thought you could use a slide of hand.

Are you serious?? I mean are you actually serious with this post?? Man you really need glasses or something. Because yes...click to 52sec left in the 3rd quarter and the score is 38-31, OU scores on that play to go up 44-31 with 40sec left in the 3rd. But you don't think it was ever closer than 14 pts in the entire 2nd half??

And I get the idea you mean SLEIGHT of hand.....

Maybe next time think a bit longer before coming on here to call others idiots.

Reactions: Yankees03
Our posters are no different than other boards, we all want the best for our team. I am just a blue collar worker, I am not tech savvy or act like I am. Yes we thought our defense was immensely improved when we played Tennessee. We got glimpses of our last year's defense. I talk to people on this board like I do with my Sooner buddies in person. No need to call us idiots, even though we all are at times.

Ccraider fans are worried because we see the exact same mistakes as in recent years. Its not always the players, its the schemes. Wake up everyone

Yes and I was as frustrated as anyone last season watching our DB's lineup 8 and 10 yards off the ball. That isn't what we saw yesterday and that isn't what hurt us. They were making vertical plays down the field. Sanchez got beat at least four or five times down the sideline. That is not a scheme issue. Most of the time PJ lined up on the line of scrimmage with Sanchez giving a 4 or 5 yard cushion to handle the switch on the opposite side. And then there's also the simple fact that their guys made some plays.

The biggest issue with Mike's scheme is that the opposing OC and QB know exactly what they're getting when they break the huddle. There is no dosguising and no mixing up of coverages. You're gonna get man, and the S's will tell you if they're matched up, single high or two deep, presnap.

There is no silver bullet here, but he has to start playing chess. Mix in zone and let the CBs play 6-7 yards off and jump a route. Blitz Parker/Byrd, and play zone behind.

Things will only get worse as teams get more film on OU. Mike is trying to out talent teams - there is little attempt being made to outcoach and OC in game.

Our posters are no different than other boards, we all want the best for our team. I am just a blue collar worker, I am not tech savvy or act like I am. Yes we thought our defense was immensely improved when we played Tennessee. We got glimpses of our last year's defense. I talk to people on this board like I do with my Sooner buddies in person. No need to call us idiots, even though we all are at times.

Good post man :)

After seven months without anything in particular to post, read or comment about on the Sooner Message board, we finally are all back to posting and defending our opinions about Sooner football. This thread has been great and I hope this is just the beginning of our fan infighting we all secretly enjoy even though there are some that complain about it. Really?? How much better it is when there are differing opinions and a wee bit of hostility within the fan base, knowing its pretty much all in good fun. At least, that's the way I see it.

It is good to see so many good posters back on the board again.

Last edited:
After seven months without anything in particular to post, read or comment about on the Sooner Message board, we finally are all back to posting and defending our opinions about Sooner football. This thread has be great and I hope this is just the beginning of our fan infighting we all secretly enjoy even though there are some that complain about it. Really?? How much better it is when there are differing opinions and a wee bit of hostility within the fan base, knowing its pretty much all in good fun. At least, that's the way I see it.

HECK Yeah, we as fans can say what we want about our team, however anyone else that is not a Sooner, try to tear our team down better be ready to fight. This is what makes it fun.

Reactions: Oklabama
After seven months without anything in particular to post, read or comment about on the Sooner Message board, we finally are all back to posting and defending our opinions about Sooner football. This thread has been great and I hope this is just the beginning of our fan infighting we all secretly enjoy even though there are some that complain about it. Really?? How much better it is when there are differing opinions and a wee bit of hostility within the fan base, knowing its pretty much all in good fun. At least, that's the way I see it.

That's right, I'll go one step further and admonish you that if someone on this board constantly rubs you the wrong way, put them on ignore. Works for me very well.

This goes for me too, if you find me to be as repugnant as I do some here, put my ass on ignore.
I'm a big guy and I can take it.

What we saw today was what I feared most, and why I reserved judgement on the defense last week. The secondary doesn't seem much better than last year when we got killed with the big play. Akron couldn't really expose it, TN didn't really want to throw the ball much so the first team we play that can toss it around did so at will.

I really hope we can get it together, but based on what happened last year around this time, it's a little scary to think about.

They moved the ball well but 'at will' is not IMO a correct statement. If they moved it at will, they would have won the game. When playing a wide open passing offense, one could and should expect points to be placed on their scoreboard. But key stops win ball games and the defense made back to back stops in the 4th qtr that assisted in winning this game. Am I happy with the style of defense being played? ... no. But to say that this defense can't win a game is not accurate. My take anyway.

Okay, fitty, you're on ignore. Haha. Ignore isn't for me. I don't visit other Rivals boards. Since my retirement, I no longer get the daily news, USA Today or that NY paper I felt I needed for my job. I now have time to watch cable for world news and stay in touch with and depend on Sooner news solely from this message board. I can't afford to ignore anybody or I may miss something worthwhile. Besides, I enjoy sitting back and just taking it all in. Boomer!

Okay, fitty, you're on ignore. Haha. Ignore isn't for me. I don't visit other Rivals boards. Since my retirement, I no longer get the daily news, USA Today or that NY paper I felt I needed for my job. I now have time to watch cable for world news and stay in touch with and depend on Sooner news solely from this message board. I can't afford to ignore anybody or I may miss something worthwhile. Besides, I enjoy sitting back and just taking it all in. Boomer!

Well, to each their own.

I only mentioned that to foster better goodwill here, and moreover to bring some of the older hands, (BCsooner for example) back that may have left because of the infighting, which, doesn't do anyone any good.

Well said...I have only on a couple of occasions used the ignore button simply because those posters never ever brought anything to the board but trying to stir something up. And that was literally after a year or two of putting up with it before I finally decided their behavior was never going to change. I'm not big on the ignore button at all. Heck if I put people on ignore cuz it bothered me that they don't agree with my thoughts on things, then eventually I would have the entire board on ignore. And that's about as ignorant as it gets. For me, I have my disagreements with people in a thread, then when I leave that thread I don't take it with me to the next thread. Some here love to carry their discontent and butt hurtness about others posters with them into thread after thread after thread.

Well, to each their own.

I only mentioned that to foster better goodwill here, and moreover to bring some of the older hands, (BCsooner for example) back that may have left because of the infighting, which, doesn't do anyone any good.

Someone mention fighting and older hands? HA
tumblr_ntgo3nipYV1upwz95o2_250.gif

Billy you know fitty and k2c read each and everything we post right? Lol. Know why? With their obsession with us it would drive them crazy to actually do it. We are badly in their heads

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT