ADVERTISEMENT

bye week, work on defense glitches

After seven months without anything in particular to post, read or comment about on the Sooner Message board, we finally are all back to posting and defending our opinions about Sooner football. This thread has been great and I hope this is just the beginning of our fan infighting we all secretly enjoy even though there are some that complain about it. Really?? How much better it is when there are differing opinions and a wee bit of hostility within the fan base, knowing its pretty much all in good fun. At least, that's the way I see it.

It is good to see so many good posters back on the board again.

You're right and maybe I was a bit over board with the idiot comment, but my god man we are 3-0, and it's the same folks with a few new sprinkled in that are never happy. And one above has only one purpose in mind and that's to kill this board. Billy Ray is a good fan I've always thought very good to debate with but my idiot comment sent him on a mission to destroy me no matter what the cost. Btw I seen nothing in his posting on this thread that put him in my idiot catagory. It was after my comment he started arguing and baiting me. Again the idiot comment was over the top for me and the only excuse I have is I was bothered by some of the posts I was seeing after another great victory. Some live to get fans riled up they have nothing better to do.

You're right and maybe I was a bit over board with the idiot comment, but my god man we are 3-0, and it's the same folks with a few new sprinkled in that are never happy. And one above has only one purpose in mind and that's to kill this board. Billy Ray is a good fan I've always thought very good to debate with but my idiot comment sent him on a mission to destroy me no matter what the cost. Btw I seen nothing in his posting on this thread that put him in my idiot catagory. It was after my comment he started arguing and baiting me. Again the idiot comment was over the top for me and the only excuse I have is I was bothered by some of the posts I was seeing after another great victory. Some live to get fans riled up they have nothing better to do.

You have to avoid the knobs on the board.

Mike, I'm glad you have rethought your idiot comment, and by the way I never took offense to it personally. I just simply thought it wasn't necessary.

But, the parts I highlighted above....I have to ask....are you being serious??

I was pretty concerned about the Baylor effect as the game proceeded to unravel. A good team can have a bad game...a great team can't have them in a string. Tulsa has some good athletes (offense side) will give them that...and certainly will give the Sooner coaches some early prep for the Baylor punks.

Mike, I'm glad you have rethought your idiot comment, and by the way I never took offense to it personally. I just simply thought it wasn't necessary.

But, the parts I highlighted above....I have to ask....are you being serious??

Nah, but I did miss the 7 point lead in the third. Just thought the offense was doing anything they wanted. And the D got the stops need to clinch the game.

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
I was pretty concerned about the Baylor effect as the game proceeded to unravel. A good team can have a bad game...a great team can't have them in a string. Tulsa has some good athletes (offense side) will give them that...and certainly will give the Sooner coaches some early prep for the Baylor punks.

My friend Baylor is many games away. And they're are not the same you see last year. And neither is OU. I wonder what trouble they will be in for having an assistant coach on the TU sideline? I can tell you now it will be OU trouble. Bob will use it to motivate his team.

I can't honestly say that the game was never in doubt, but I can honestly say that I was never in doubt of the outcome. The offense was clicking so well that I was never stressed.... not once. That, friends, is a rarity for me.

Nah, but I did miss the 7 point lead in the third. Just thought the offense was doing anything they wanted. And the D got the stops need to clinch the game.

Lol it's all good Mike. And I never really found myself worrying whether OU would win or not, but Tulsa hanging within 7pts of OU that late in the game got the ole pucker factor going just a bit. ;)

So Mike you can watch the Tulsa game and honestly have no concerns about how we are going to do against better teams that run the same offense? Pointing out our obvious deficiencies seems to be the logical reaction to a game such as this one. You consider that to be bashing OU? Is this supposed to be a pump OU up no matter what happens board? I thought it was a discussion forum

Reactions: BillyRay
22, I didn't see the Mike post calling anyone personally out. I did, when a poster with 3 total posts starts listing everything he thought was wrong with the game. Nota one thing positive and yes we had many. To me that's a gloomer. Come on the board to bitch.

I just got off the Scout board, they are laughing at Missouri with a 9-6 win over UConn. Some are laughing at the defending NC OSU Buckeyes squeaking against UNL by a TD. I've seen some other post regarding the #3 TCU team vs SMU scoring and playing like we did against TU. Arkansas is getting the LOL's all over the place.

As I've stated before, college football has changed. It's not 1985 anymore.

BTW, I agree about no name calling.............Gifs work better. HA!

You are right, I have 3 post on this board but I have thousands of post on the Rivals boards. I stand bye my post 100%, the game has changed and Mike Stoops has not. Sorry if I'm not going to post some sunshine, about a mediocre team breaking a 100 year old record, against a Mike Stoops defense. Some of the GREATEST teams in all of college football, have taken the field in Norman and a Tulsa team sets the record, for the most yards ever, against OU in Norman.
you call it a "gloomer" . I call it like it is.

Reactions: BillyRay
You are right, I have 3 post on this board but I have thousands of post on the Rivals boards. I stand bye my post 100%, the game has changed and Mike Stoops has not. Sorry if I'm not going to post some sunshine, about a mediocre team breaking a 100 year old record, against a Mike Stoops defense. Some of the GREATEST teams in all of college football, have taken the field in Norman and a Tulsa team sets the record, for the most yards ever, against OU in Norman.
you call it a "gloomer" . I
call it like it is.

8085, keep posting. Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion especially when you have the facts on your side. Frankly, I simply missed that point and focused on Baker's and the offensive team's performance. Good post. BTW, I followed the Sooner Message Board for almost 9 years before I made my first post two years ago this month.

you call it a "gloomer" . I call it like it is.

Don't let it get to ya man. #s of posts mean nothing. Keep posting your thoughts and opinions. If some don't like what you have have to say then that's their problem, not yours.

Schooner I said this last week even after the Tenn win, our secondary is terrible. I've stated Sanchez is average, others call him elite and one poster made the stupid comment he was our best corner in years. How many times do "elite" corners get picked on over and over? Lol. The bad thing is? The Thomas duo( even though one didn't play today) is even worse. Mike stoops has no idea how to defend a spread and I mean NO idea

:)

Hindsight is always 20/20. I will say this though, after the Tulsa game there was legit concern as to how Mike's defense would handle the offenses of Baylor, and even TCU or OSU after the number of yards Tulsa threw on them. Tulsa's level of talent threw for a good number of yards....stands to reason teams with far greater talent pose a bigger threat. I have no doubt Mike and the coaches took the Tulsa experience and learned alot from it and those lessons really showed against the big 3 at the end of the season. OU also got some great breaks with those teams not having their starting QBs as well.

But hey...if the new norm of this board is digging up old threads to sustain drama, then hey we can all do it. No doubt everyone, myself included, have made dumb/stupid comments in the past where we put our own foots in our mouths. What comes around, goes around.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I will say this though, after the Tulsa game there was legit concern as to how Mike's defense would handle the offenses of Baylor, and even TCU or OSU after the number of yards Tulsa threw on them. Tulsa's level of talent threw for a good number of yards....stands to reason teams with far greater talent pose a bigger threat. I have no doubt Mike and the coaches took the Tulsa experience and learned alot from it and those lessons really showed against the big 3 at the end of the season. OU also got some great breaks with those teams not having their starting QBs as well.

But hey...if the new norm of this board is digging up old threads to sustain drama, then hey we can all do it. No doubt everyone, myself included, have made dumb/stupid comments in the past where we put our own foots in our mouths. What comes around, goes around.
"Digging up old threads to sustain drama".....is nothing more than the attempt of some posters to diminish the credibility of others with differing views retroactively. It takes a fragile ego to do this.
There is not one poster here who hasn't been wrong about something concerning this team at one time or another, but so what ? On the night of October 10th, no one here could have foreseen this team's turnaround.....or the loss of the starting quarterbacks that Baylor, TCU, and OSU sustained before their games against OU. I view it as a kind of "perfect storm".
No doubt if Oklahoma wins it all this season there will be those who will spend a great deal of effort trashing others, who earlier in the year, expressed valid concerns about the team at that time....rather than celebrate WITH other OU fans the victories that gained an 8th national championship.

Man if we win #8, I'll be too drunk and full of joy to give 2 shits what someone has to say about something I said. LOL

I might give one shit, and they are welcome to take it with them in a baggie...but not 2.

Last edited:
Yea this little idea kind of backfired on bcssooner....made him come across as a complete .......nevermind. Oh well its one of the benefits of the new ignore feature. Thank you rivals. Anyways..... Everyone from TV commentators to your average OU fan voiced frustration last year and into the Tulsa and first 3 quarters of the Tennessee game and rightfully so. Big time upgrades at OC, qb and mike in the press box have made HUGE differences not only in their play but demeanor on and off the field. You can tell these guys want it and believe they can beat anyone. I love the swagger

If someone wanted to spend the time, one could create a book of posts just like that. Bashing coaches with their opinions, represented as fact, that have been proven completely wrong. Of course, you need to make sure you READ the original post correctly, as WNAS learned. ;)

It does help identify those whose "opinions" should be taken seriously though. Glad we have so many knowledgeable posters.

"Digging up old threads to sustain drama".....is nothing more than the attempt of some posters to diminish the credibility of others with differing views retroactively. It takes a fragile ego to do this.
There is not one poster here who hasn't been wrong about something concerning this team at one time or another, but so what ? On the night of October 10th, no one here could have foreseen this team's turnaround.....or the loss of the starting quarterbacks that Baylor, TCU, and OSU sustained before their games against OU. I view it as a kind of "perfect storm".
No doubt if Oklahoma wins it all this season there will be those who will spend a great deal of effort trashing others, who earlier in the year, expressed valid concerns about the team at that time....rather than celebrate WITH other OU fans the victories that gained an 8th national championship.

Agreed. I'm not exactly sure if we'd be in the play offs if we had to face the starters of those three teams. We might be talking a bit differently of the defense. But having said this, I don't care either. OU has had the injury bug hit the team at bad times as well. Missing Murray in the last Natty title game for OU was painful. My point is, you play the schedule and you play the opposing team as they line them up.

CT as has been stated, when some one tries to pass an opinion as fact, that is the case here other posters have the right to bring up older threads that's what's cool about this new format.for those of you that don't like it simply move on we/the board doesn't need a lecture of what post/ posts that can be reopened for discussion. Don't like the content move on along.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
Yea this little idea kind of backfired on bcssooner....made him come across as a complete .......nevermind. Oh well its one of the benefits of the new ignore feature. Thank you rivals. Anyways..... Everyone from TV commentators to your average OU fan voiced frustration last year and into the Tulsa and first 3 quarters of the Tennessee game and rightfully so. Big time upgrades at OC, qb and mike in the press box have made HUGE differences not only in their play but demeanor on and off the field. You can tell these guys want it and believe they can beat anyone. I love the swagger

Yankees, no one made a fool of them selves other than posters who seem to think their opinions are fact. Opinions are like bungholes everyone has one and they all stink.

Agreed. I'm not exactly sure if we'd be in the play offs if we had to face the starters of those three teams. We might be talking a bit differently of the defense. But having said this, I don't care either. OU has had the injury bug hit the team at bad times as well. Missing Murray in the last Natty title game for OU was painful. My point is, you play the schedule and you play the opposing team as they line them up.

Is this fact? Or just opinion?

Mike that's the beauty of a message board, we all have different opinions. If people don't like it they can cry about it or agree with me I don't really care.....

Is this fact? Or just opinion?

Think about it for a second...our defense was MUCH worse last year and you rarely heard complaints. This year, Coach Heupel was gone, so WHO were the nellies going to blame when we didn't play well?

The pattern started after the 2008 NC game with Wilson and is VERY well defined...and therefore...predictable.

Like I said before, remember this a few years from now after JFW graduates. It will be Riley that needs to be fired when we lose a game we "shouldn't" have according to our 3-4 resident "If we don't win the NC every year someone should be fired" experts.

Lord willin', I'll still be here. My guess is they won't or won't "remember" or in the case of WNAS, acknowledge they were wrong.

:)

Um that would be pathetic lol. I mean really, who cares. He is obsessed with me so he will be ignored from here on out. Trolls will no longer control the board. That's my motto for 2016

CT as has been stated, when some one tries to pass an opinion as fact, that is the case here other posters have the right to bring up older threads that's what's cool about this new format.for those of you that don't like it simply move on we/the board doesn't need a lecture of what post/ posts that can be reopened for discussion. Don't like the content move on along.
You're exactly right. It's something people can do if they see fit. But at the same time, as a mod you really don't seem very interested in finding ways for this board to get along. You really seem to encourage things that keep the drama and hatred going and going and going. And it's because you allow your PERSONAL dislike and hatred for certain posters get in the way of your JOB of moderating this board SUPPOSEDLY fairly and without bias. But if this is the type of posting styles and behavior you want to promote on this board, then so be it. Everyone can bookmark threads for bumping in the future when they want to rekindle hatred and try to make other posters feel stupid when using 20/20 hindsight when judging what posters said months ago.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
You're exactly right. It's something people can do if they see fit. But at the same time, as a mod you really don't seem very interested in finding ways for this board to get along. You really seem to encourage things that keep the drama and hatred going and going and going. And it's because you allow your PERSONAL dislike and hatred for certain posters get in the way of your JOB of moderating this board SUPPOSEDLY fairly and without bias. But if this is the type of posting styles and behavior you want to promote on this board, then so be it. Everyone can bookmark threads for bumping in the future when they want to rekindle hatred and try to make other posters feel stupid when using 20/20 hindsight when judging what posters said months ago.

"...rekindle hatred"..."...make other posters feel stupid..."

You have a VERY odd way of perceiving things and creating drama when it doesn't exist. Hatred...really? WOW.

Um that would be pathetic lol. I mean really, who cares. He is obsessed with me so he will be ignored from here on out. Trolls will no longer control the board. That's my motto for 2016

Yankees what's juvenile is ignoring someone who has called you out for debate not one time has bc cussed you or attacked you. The fact that you don't confront him with a harmless debate is weak, and makes you look like you can't back up your argument. What's the point of a message board. This is what it looks like....Yankees drops a bomb when Yankees is confronted about said bomb he then uses the ignore feature so he doesn't have to answer, this is weak and you should remove BC and confront him in a civil manner it can be done I assure you.

So Mike you can watch the Tulsa game and honestly have no concerns about how we are going to do against better teams that run the same offense? Pointing out our obvious deficiencies seems to be the logical reaction to a game such as this one. You consider that to be bashing OU? Is this supposed to be a pump OU up no matter what happens board? I thought it was a discussion forum

The thing is, that the key to this year's defense is the corner combo of Sanchez and Thomas. Not only was Thomas not available, suddenly, but his backup was a true freshman who didn't get a lot of work during the week. Tulsa wasn't that good. But their athletes were good enough to make it interesting until Mike got the game plan adjusted at halftime, after a very strange ending to the first half.

OU's performance in the first five games has very little to do with the last seven. Bob said something interesting at the last presser, or in that time frame. He said that he thought the airplane snafu on the way to Manhattan was the turning point of the season. It was the week after Texas, aka the debacle, the whole impromptu fending for each other brought the team to gather as they took turns foraging for food in creative ways, going out in groups of four or five at a time, and bringing the meals back for each other.

One can imagine one guy taking special orders for four or five teammates, with one holding the mayo, and another adding pepperoni. It made humans out of fellow football players. Sometimes it's not only fans who don't see the athletes as something besides a guy in shoulder pads and helmets. It transformed the team. They've been remarkable since..

The Tulsa game, our OLine was still pretty average and the defense with a rookie of great inexperience starting against those guys made the D vulnerable. Especially in the last four minutes of the first half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT