ADVERTISEMENT

Big XII Title Game thread. OU - Iowa State

You mean the offense with all the 5 stars and the genius HC/OC?

Those 5 Stars aren't playing like 5 stars. Way, way too many drops. They are struggling to get open. Mims is about the only WR that has been dependable. I still think that these guys will be alright but we have a RS Fr QB and a bunch of first year players & the line has been a mess. This aint a Baker or Kylar fielded offense. Not even close.

Yeah, all he's done is win six straight Big XII titles. The guy sux.

I get it Plaino but time to graduate to national championships. One of the things holding this team back is their ability to hold and/or expand a big lead against a team they have beaten down. Now that the defense is acceptable that is on Riley. Every year that passes without a championship, it gets harder. History and stats prove the longer a coach goes at one school without winning a national championship the more unlikely said coach will. This is all about self reflection for LR on how to improve as a head coach.

I think Riley understands that his offense isn't as good as his past teams and that his defense is much improved. As a result, Coaches or manages the game differently. He played to his strengths today. He has a pretty decent feel of the game. He didn't put a RS Freshman QB in a position to turn the ball over. As fans, we're used to a wide open offense, scoring 50+ just to win. We're not that type of team any longer.

Agree 100%.

However... three points in the half? Kind of disappointing, but I put most of the blame on the o-lline. They're okay, but will need be better if we're seriously going to go for a natty next year.

Yeah, all he's done is win six straight Big XII titles. The guy sux.
In this age of parity any win over a good opponent is a quality win.
Iowa State can compete with anybody in the country....and OU beat them.
As for Riley, he's just getting "warmed up" for bigger and better times at OU, even through a pandemic.

So let's throw Riley under the bus now.
His team lost two elite running backs, a tight end, two receivers, an elite defensive end and played a ton of newcomers....then won the conference championship while beating OU's two top rivals along the way and avenging an early season loss to a good Iowa State team.
No OU is not on the level of Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State, but who is ?
Riley's working with a team in transition and he's making progress. What is happening now represents a stepping stone for future successes and it's not happening right away.

Is that the excuse? I know you're retired, but I would pray to God if I were you and in my field needing a job from me. I CANNOT stand excuses like this. Preparation for failure. I like winners.

Well the fact is... OU did prepare. And they even interviewed. It was a year(season) long interview at that. They came up short. But they learned alot along the way. And as I understand it, they'll be interviewing next year too.

Well the fact is... OU did prepare. And they even interviewed. It was a year(season) long interview at that. They came up short. But they learned alot along the way. And as I understand it, they'll be interviewing next year too.
Huh?

LOL..... You were talking about interviews... and they had one already. They did not match up to Bama & Clemson.

I think I'm reading you now.

OU has finished great and made some fun to watch ball games. That doesn't mean I want to go into next year, or any other, with expectations of the same.

Let's go in strong, stay strong, and finish strong. In-game and in-season. We're OU. Nobody's going to convince me we're "not Alabama or Ohio State." Screw that talk.

Reactions: iasooner1
He's not wrong. I'll gladly give you a point difference distribution on the year if you'd like. Riley definitely steps on his own toes after a nice first half blowout.
Somehow, we won again. Do you guys remember how many conference titles we'd won in the four years before Lincoln got to Norman? OU has set a national record by scoring 27 or more points in 62 straight games. The two years before LR arrived, we lost back to back blowouts to Baylor, scoring a combined 26 points.

Iowa State is a terrific defensive team, whose defensive philosophy is perfect to play against OUr offense. They are very experienced. They have a very good DC. And they knock the crap out of receivers, when they can keep them in front of their secondary. OUr defense was playing really well, and Lincoln wanted to make their offense go a long way. The difference in the game was three turnovers to none. Part of that, was a freshman quarterback being careful not to make dangerous throws. And oh yeah, we won.

Play calling is a lot less a factor, than players getting it done.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
LOL..... You were talking about interviews... and they had one already. They did not match up to Bama & Clemson.

Analogies are great, and I understand your point. History and facts are powerful as well, and LR has a growing lists of games where his team has built a large lead and fails to keep or build upon them. I am not worried about being compared to the top 4, I am worried that LR and his play calling, again, found a way to make a comfortable lead a one play game (win); many of the games I am referencing have ended in defeat.

I too would fail your interview. As I'm a proud fan of Sooner football as well. I love me some Crimson...but I'm also a realist. This OU team is not on the same level of the current Bama team. And it's not even close.

Somehow, we won again. Do you guys remember how many conference titles we'd won in the four years before Lincoln got to Norman? OU has set a national record by scoring 27 or more points in 62 straight games. The two years before LR arrived, we lost back to back blowouts to Baylor, scoring a combined 26 points.

Iowa State is a terrific defensive team, whose defensive philosophy is perfect to play against OUr offense. They are very experienced. They have a very good DC. And they knock the crap out of receivers, when they can keep them in front of their secondary. OUr defense was playing really well, and Lincoln wanted to make their offense go a long way. The difference in the game was three turnovers to none. Part of that, was a freshman quarterback being careful not to make dangerous throws. And oh yeah, we won.

These, "I told you so," responses are weak. You went silent, because we risked losing for exactly the reason veritas pinpointed.

We were one play away from a loss, and then you would have ghosted this thread entirely. Yeah, they're a good defensive team that we easily scored 24 on in one half.

I don't care if they were the 85 Bears. 3 points in the second half is/was inexcusable after a 24 point shellacking in the first.

You were heated during the game, because you were seeing the same thing. You responded heated and received heated responses in return. Trying to defend something you didn't even believe in is just throwing turds onto a bowl of sour grapes.

Plaino I am not concerned about the past or scoring records; LR is established and doesn't need to rely on irrelevant stats.

Maybe I am missing your point, and maybe you are missing my point. ISU is a good team and we were handling then easily by the half. Then, as is a growing tradition, LR goes into a shell and/or does not makes adjustments. The difference today was he actually has a defense to save him; in previous years OU loses this game, hell they did earlier this year. I do not think anyone is questioning punting and playing field position up 17 points. The problem was play calling. And don't forget two scoring drives were due to long kick off returns or else...

ISU's defense is good not great. They were ready for an asswhippin, and we let them stay in the game. Check that, LR let them stay in the game.

I too would fail your interview. As I'm a proud fan of Sooner football as well. I love me some Crimson...but I'm also a realist. This OU team is not on the same level of the current Bama team. And it's not even close.

I guess I have a disconnect: how is arguing that LR's second half was less than good have anything to do with being on the same level as Bama? If anything, one could argue, until that changes OU will never be an elite playoff winning team...

Reactions: veritas59
I guess I have a disconnect: how is arguing that LR's second half was less than good have anything to do with being on the same level as Bama? If anything, one could argue, until that changes OU will never be an elite playoff winning team...

😆 Soldier, my comments were meant for JC

Reactions: JConXtsy
Given all that OU has been through....this fractured pandemic year with a team in transition with suspensions, desertions and injuries and a team slowly recovering from Mike Stoops' defensive influence that I have always believed would take 2-3 years to shake off....I'm accepting yesterday's game as a much need win, however "ugly" it's being regarded as.
And............has anyone noticed that Alabama built up a 35-17 halftime lead, then allowed Florida to close the gap to 35-31 in the 3rd quarter and hung on to win 52-46 ????
Is Saban getting thrown under the bus too ?

So they scored 35 in the first half and 17 in the second half? Tell us what we're missing in your argument.

I'm really starting to believe some of you couldn't argue your way out of a paper bag.

in the final analysis the one thing that keeps this team from being great is the one thing everyone said was the strength of the team...the O-line. LR has had to scheme and play call around the limitations of this unit all year.

Reactions: soonersoldier
So they scored 35 in the first half and 17 in the second half? Tell us what we're missing in your argument.

I'm really starting to believe some of you couldn't argue your way out of a paper bag.

So they scored half as much in the last half as they did the first half. I think his point is that the Bama/Gator game
came down to the final minute of the game and it was a one score difference. Which is the same as the OU/ISU game.

In this thread, one side has made some valid points made as to why an aggressive Riley didn't appear. The other side... nothing really. Just complaining. I think we can all agree that Riley is a pretty sharp coach. So give us your best shot as to why you think he hasn't lived up to the level of aggressive play calling that you seek.

Try to comprehend:
Alabama blew a big lead and hung on to win.
OU did the same.
It happens to the best teams as it does other teams.
And it's not an "argument". Only a statement of fact.

in the final analysis the one thing that keeps this team from being great is the one thing everyone said was the strength of the team...the O-line. LR has had to scheme and play call around the limitations of this unit all year.
Good point.

Spot on. In yesterday's game, I thought the game changer was the TD drop by Bridges. ISU then realized that the game was going to get away so they started blitzing on defense and it seriously changed the game. In fact, OU pulled a Sr LT in Swenson who just couldn't handle it and replaced him w/ a Fr. The O-Line has been a mess all season.

Reactions: soonersoldier
Spot on. In yesterday's game, I thought the game changer was the TD drop by Bridges. ISU then realized that the game was going to get away so they started blitzing on defense and it seriously changed the game. In fact, OU pulled a Sr LT in Swenson who just couldn't handle it and replaced him w/ a Fr. The O-Line has been a mess all season.

I agree with the Bridges drop...huge, opened the door back to the game. Stogner would have been a huge asset, I think, in this game but I don't like blaming on players out due to injuries.

I thought Mikey Henderson could have been a nice play yesterday; was he out/unavailable? When ISU started blitzing more I thought some slip screens, bubble screens, and quick plays that relieved pressure from the oline were worthy of checking out.

I do not discount LR recognizes he doesn't have to go for it all the time or push the petal to the medal on offense because he has a defense...of which I am sure he is extremely happy about. My issues for yesterday's game were a couple of runs on passing downs, and when he did dial up a pass, maybe call some quicker designed plays to take advantage of their defense.

I am proud of this team and the coaching staff for their continued improvement throughout the season. A well earned conference championship and setting up for a strong next year. I love LR, and am happy to have him. I want him to spend some time on his offensive coaching approach with a big lead during 2nd halves. I know we are lucky to have him...we could have Mullens from Florida 😱. His clock management last night truly hurt his team against Bama.

Reactions: iasooner1
LR is a nice coach and nice coaches don’t stomp on their opponents necks like Switzer would do. Its been this way since he has been the head coach at OU. I can’t recall at the moment any second half of any game that I felt the team was still blood-thirsty......does anyone else? I think when we come out in the second half of games where we are comfortably ahead is when LR likes to start playing with the offense. A lot of the offensive plays called over the years have been some real head scratchers to me.......even some WTF? moments almost every game. To LR a win is a win .......which is correct, but we have a playoff committee and analysts that eye test strength of teams looking for complete dominance on both sides of the ball. As long as this continues it will be tougher to get in playoff spots in years to come. You may say “Well, OU has made the playoffs 4 times now!” .......but a lot of that has been based on the OU brand and not a well balanced football team.
The BCS was a joke to me in ways......but this playoff committee is worse if you ask me. We need a better system that is based on getting a true national championship and not based on money. I believe there are 10 football conferences, ALL should send their conference chaMPs to a playoff scenario. It’s not a popular opinion, but it’s the only fair one across the board that I see at this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT