ADVERTISEMENT

Big XII Title Game thread. OU - Iowa State

Plaino I am not concerned about the past or scoring records; LR is established and doesn't need to rely on irrelevant stats.

Maybe I am missing your point, and maybe you are missing my point. ISU is a good team and we were handling then easily by the half. Then, as is a growing tradition, LR goes into a shell and/or does not makes adjustments. The difference today was he actually has a defense to save him; in previous years OU loses this game, hell they did earlier this year. I do not think anyone is questioning punting and playing field position up 17 points. The problem was play calling. And don't forget two scoring drives were due to long kick off returns or else...

ISU's defense is good not great. They were ready for an asswhippin, and we let them stay in the game. Check that, LR let them stay in the game.
I totally disagree. He did not go into a shell. They are a quality defense, who did some great things against us. And we didn't dominate them offensively in the first half. We had a drive that started at midfield that had a big Kickoff return to set it up. We had a very nice drive to a first TD capped by a trick play, running the third team qb out there to barely beat their LB to the corner. We had a long TD pass on a great throw and a really nice catch. We kicked a personal best 54-yard field goal. Stevenson had some occasional running room, but not consistently. In the entire game, we were one for eleven on third down.

OUr offensively line is really iffy, especially when the other defense is pretty good. Iowa State is really good, and been playing their best in the last month. If they hadn't jumped offsides back to back on their final possession, not sure we win. But their D adjusted at half time, and we didn't get them blocked, much. You gotta make plays, and we really didn't. It wasn't because of play calling. They played better than we did.

I think the disparity between them having nine first team all conference guys, and OU having three. But they had a ton of quality defenders. Anybody who thinks that LR scaled anything back, is viewing through very cloudy crimson glasses. Lincoln is too smart to do that. Managing an offense with a substandard OLine against a quality defense is not an easy task. When we get the OL up to OU standards, we'll see a lot less complaining about Lincoln going into a shell.

I totally disagree. He did not go into a shell. They are a quality defense, who did some great things against us. And we didn't dominate them offensively in the first half. We had a drive that started at midfield that had a big Kickoff return to set it up. We had a very nice drive to a first TD capped by a trick play, running the third team qb out there to barely beat their LB to the corner. We had a long TD pass on a great throw and a really nice catch. We kicked a personal best 54-yard field goal. Stevenson had some occasional running room, but not consistently. In the entire game, we were one for eleven on third down.

OUr offensively line is really iffy, especially when the other defense is pretty good. Iowa State is really good, and been playing their best in the last month. If they hadn't jumped offsides back to back on their final possession, not sure we win. But their D adjusted at half time, and we didn't get them blocked, much. You gotta make plays, and we really didn't. It wasn't because of play calling. They played better than we did.

I think the disparity between them having nine first team all conference guys, and OU having three. But they had a ton of quality defenders. Anybody who thinks that LR scaled anything back, is viewing through very cloudy crimson glasses. Lincoln is too smart to do that. Managing an offense with a substandard OLine against a quality defense is not an easy task. When we get the OL up to OU standards, we'll see a lot less complaining about Lincoln going into a shell.

I disagree I am looking through any colored glasses. The first place team is usually gonna have more all conference members than any other. Add to that they are probably tired or picking OU players and there you go. And I agree with compensating for a sub standard oline this year; good point. And yes the OU offense was more forceful...in the first half. And by they way, did LR have one of the best olines against Georgia in the playoffs? I ask because I was complaining about him going into a shell in the 2nd half then too; and that was with a lesser than defense. It is okay to question great leaders/coaches. I imagine they do question themselves...it is a prerequisite of being great. To summarily dismiss a growing pattern would indicate someone in this conversation is wearing crimson colored glasses, and it ain't me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT