ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts two weeks into the season.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
1. The last two weeks, our team has performed with a crispness and attention to performance that you don't see many other places in college football. I think we're more talented than in recent seasons, and think most of the credit goes to the players. But there is a new tone in this group that is noticeable. They really do care about each other. You could see the rudiments of it happening last season. But Coach Riley has taken it to a whole new level. The future is bright for a lot of reasons, but he is the number one reason. In the chess match that often is football, he is Kasparov.

2. In that vein, has anybody else noticed that OUr offense is going slower on purpose. We still have a little hurry up, but it's now the exception, or at least has been for two games. And I believe part of the reasoning is to lengthen the time the defense gets some rest, and decrease the number of snaps for everybody. It's a good idea. Kind of odd that the guy who is truly from the Leach School of Offense would slow things down, but he has. And the results seem more than a little encouraging.

3. I know that Murray is a quality quarterback, but there is a clear difference to these eyes between he and Baker. Murray plays in the offense. Baker runs it. He wills it. He masters it. Maybe Kyler will, but not yet. Being in baseball most of the summer might have something to do with it.

4. When Joe Gibbs won three Super Bowls in DC, the staple of their offense was known as counter trey. It involves both the offside tackle and guard pulling across the center and leading the back into the other tackle hole. They did it in an I Formation with John Riggins becoming a Hall of Famer. We're doing it from a spread, and it's very effective most snaps. For guys like Brown and Evans to get there across the formation consistently, while still being elite college pass blockers is a tribute to a whole lot of people. It's OUr most effective running strategy.

5. The radio broadcast of OU football games seems to have disappeared from Dallas. I didn't try to listen during the game, but went to the station for the last five or six years for the post game last night, and pregame last week, and there was nothing to find. Dammit.

6. Best pair of Sooner corners since Thompson and Strait. 17 years ago.

7. I watched a lot of football yesterday. There are darned few college quarterbacks who look even competent. It's a pretty big difference between that, and what Baker is putting out there. Love having such a competitor.

8. Loved the big boy football look with Sermon and Anderson.

9. I'm thinking this class might end up with a 5 star or two.

10. In the press box interview, BStoops looked like he was five or six inches shorter than Kirk and even shorter than his OSU pr play by play accomplice, Rece. Surprised me. I tried to look up Bob's height, and couldn't find it online anywhere.

11. The Big XII was a Cyclone brain fart away from sweeping the P5 competition yesterday, with TCU's thumping of the SEC. And I WILL be pulling for UT next week, reluctantly. But I hope they cream USC. In case you missed it. Buechele was sat yesterday for the true freshman Ehlinger with a bit more mobility. And Herd played qb on the goal line. If the last few years teaches us anything, they'll challenge us no matter what happens next week.

12. Very hopeful that OUr team uses last night as a springboard, and doesn't start being too influenced by their suddenly positive press clippings.

I have more, but there will already be length complaints, by the attention challenged.

1. The last two weeks, our team has performed with a crispness and attention to performance that you don't see many other places in college football. I think we're more talented than in recent seasons, and think most of the credit goes to the players. But there is a new tone in this group that is noticeable. They really do care about each other. You could see the rudiments of it happening last season. But Coach Riley has taken it to a whole new level. The future is bright for a lot of reasons, but he is the number one reason. In the chess match that often is football, he is Kasparov.

2. In that vein, has anybody else noticed that OUr offense is going slower on purpose. We still have a little hurry up, but it's now the exception, or at least has been for two games. And I believe part of the reasoning is to lengthen the time the defense gets some rest, and decrease the number of snaps for everybody. It's a good idea. Kind of odd that the guy who is truly from the Leach School of Offense would slow things down, but he has. And the results seem more than a little encouraging.

3. I know that Murray is a quality quarterback, but there is a clear difference to these eyes between he and Baker. Murray plays in the offense. Baker runs it. He wills it. He masters it. Maybe Kyler will, but not yet. Being in baseball most of the summer might have something to do with it.

4. When Joe Gibbs won three Super Bowls in DC, the staple of their offense was known as counter trey. It involves both the offside tackle and guard pulling across the center and leading the back into the other tackle hole. They did it in an I Formation with John Riggins becoming a Hall of Famer. We're doing it from a spread, and it's very effective most snaps. For guys like Brown and Evans to get there across the formation consistently, while still being elite college pass blockers is a tribute to a whole lot of people. It's OUr most effective running strategy.

5. The radio broadcast of OU football games seems to have disappeared from Dallas. I didn't try to listen during the game, but went to the station for the last five or six years for the post game last night, and pregame last week, and there was nothing to find. Dammit.

7. I watched a lot of football yesterday. There are darned few college quarterbacks who look even competent. It's a pretty big difference between that, and what Baker is putting out there. Love having such a competitor.

10. In the press box interview, BStoops looked like he was five or six inches shorter than Kirk and even shorter than his OSU pr play by play accomplice, Rece. Surprised me. I tried to look up Bob's height, and couldn't find it online anywhere.

11. The Big XII was a Cyclone brain fart away from sweeping the P5 competition yesterday, with TCU's thumping of the SEC. And I WILL be pulling for UT next week, reluctantly. But I hope they cream USC. In case you missed it. Buechele was sat yesterday for the true freshman Ehlinger with a bit more mobility. And Herd played qb on the goal line. If the last few years teaches us anything, they'll challenge us no matter what happens next week.

12. Very hopeful that OUr team uses last night as a springboard, and doesn't start being too influenced by their suddenly positive press clippings.

I have more, but there will already be length complaints, by the attention challenged.

Good post Plaino but why try stirring up people with the following words below?
-----------
-----------

Its comments like that which can turn a good topic south.

Too long. Didn't read. ;) jk

I noticed the height thing, too. He was standing between Herbie and Chris Fowler. I think both of those guys are pretty tall, and Stoops probably comes in around 5'10" or 5'11". He may have been a 6 footer when he was younger, but as you know, backs compress, arches fall, etc...

Agree with your comment on the difference between Baker and Murray. At the same time, I feel better about our backup quarterback situation than I have in a long, long, time.

One thing that crossed my mind last night was that they may have been sandbagging the Mayfield injuries a bit, just to get Murray into the game and run a particular play. Neither time that he went out did they stop play. Just a thought.

Last thing that you didn't mention, but I'm sure you've noticed. Riley is giving future opponents a whole lot to digest with the number of players he's running out there. And he's been completely unpredictable through two games. I love the way he's utilizing the roster. It will continue to pay off in the long run, both on the field and in recruiting.

Last, last thing. I believe our defense might be pretty good. They're getting a decent push on the line, the back end is playing well (although Barrett missed a couple of guys), and I'm confident our freshman middle linebacker will continue to get better... he was taken completely out of the play on their lone touchdown.

You're right on several fronts. I think one thing to consider is that Barrett missing guys is partly because the D plan was to make him beat us with his arm. He only beat anybody with his arm against us last season. Once they got into the conference, he wasn't so accurate. It's partly why they got shut out in the semi's.

I think OUr D might be the best since 2001. Those guys were better than 2000, but the offense dried up because of a half dozen OLine injuries and the transition after Heupel graduated. By November 2001, the offense was dreadful.

I have absolutely loved the product we've seen put on the field the first two games. There's a lot going on there. But you lose talents like Perine and Westbrook and Mixon and the beat just keeps going on, it's a big tribute to the coaching staff.

But ultimately, when you have two really good, maybe great corners, it's a whole lot easier to be a DC. If we'd have had somebody besides Cobbs playing db against the Buckeyes a year ago, maybe that game is way different.

It's just a really nice start and let's keep er goin'.

Murray was only in for 2 plays. But I really like the call when Murray handed off to the back and then got it pitched to him for 9 yard gain. Good play.

Going into a hostile environment like the shoe in week 2 with a new coach is a tall order. I think they had no doubt they could beat ohio state and did just that. I feel very lucky that we have Riley and I hope this is only a hint of the great things he will do at OU. No offense Bob.

Plaino, I might be stirring up a hornets nest here, but didn't you make some disparaging remarks when Lincoln was hired? I think a retraction is in order.

OUr replay of the game is on espnu in Q1 now

I loved the direct snap plays for good yardage. Badet has earned his pay as has Lamb, Calcaterra and many others. OKO is OKAA !!

Last edited:
Going into a hostile environment like the shoe in week 2 with a new coach is a tall order. I think they had no doubt they could beat ohio state and did just that. I feel very lucky that we have Riley and I hope this is only a hint of the great things he will do at OU. No offense Bob.

No Defense, Mike...;)

JK!!

Last edited:
I must be mistaken...that happens when excitement creates insomnia after a game like that (like many of you I spent half the night watching replays :)). Yet that freshman linebacker at times when he was coming after Barrett looked so similar to Thurmond Marshall in the day. When he gets a little more experience I think lights out for that kid. Some good days are ahead of us for sure.

Short and simple:
Looking at the box score, I doubt if anyone would have guessed that the combination of Flowers, Morris, Sermon and Smallwood would be scoring all of OU's touchdowns.....and that only Smallwood, a receiver, would score the lone rushing touchdown.
It's apparent that Sermon, Lamb and Calcaterra will have good careers at OU.....as will Motley and a resurrected Haughton on defense.
OU put a defense on the field that contained Ohio State's offense, allowing a single touchdown and only a field goal in the last 27 minutes of the game....a defense that did not show fatigue late in the game, thanks in part to the offense keeping OSU's offense on the sidelines. OU had 11 more minutes of ball control (35-24).
I wonder if Mike Stoops will become a better coach now that he is out from under his brother's shadow, for whatever reason there might be. Clearly, this was his best defensive game at OU.

Last edited:

You insult a person's intellect/attention span because he doesn't like the length of your post. You arrogant, self serving, conceitedprick. Your points were spot on but you just can't resist the insult at the end. You are so full of yourself that you actually can't understand why many posters don't like to wade through your tons of verbiage. I actually liked everything you posted until your dumb fu$&ing remarks about being attention challenged. What an absolute arrogant ass you are! And no dim wit, Macey Hatfield was not trying to show off her arm against Baylor

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
You insult a person's intellect/attention span because he doesn't like the length of your post. You arrogant, self serving, conceitedprick. Your points were spot on but you just can't resist the insult at the end. You are so full of yourself that you actually can't understand why many posters don't like to wade through your tons of verbiage. I actually liked everything you posted until your dumb fu$&ing remarks about being attention challenged. What an absolute arrogant ass you are! And no dim wit, Macey Hatfield was not trying to show off her arm against Baylor

Man talk about bulls eye.

RAS

Just to temper the enthusiasm slightly - tOSU's pass D is dead last in ypg.
https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...nks-130th-in-yards-per-game-through-two-games
BTW: The Indiana QB that carved them up for a half was benched in their game this past Saturday. That;s how bad tOSU's secondary is - it made a Juco crap QB look like "the best QB and WRs tOSU will face all year." (yea, eat it Herbstreit).

I see tOSU losing to Michigan and Penn State for sure, and perhaps losing one they shouldn't. Extremely over-ranked, especially in light of how they finished last year.

I still want to see our secondary hold up against a top passing attack. Barrett is also going to lose his starting QB spot, sooner or later.

Game on again on espnu. Linc/Bake/Flowers just tied us up 10's in Q3. That was a sweet drive; possibly key of the game. Man Dimitri has wheels, he ran away from the Safeties with a burst for 6. Loved it again for the 3rd time

Last edited:
Plaino give us the rest of what you got. Don't worry about those attention challenged folks. Right now I am reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich just as a warm up for you next post.

Just to temper the enthusiasm slightly - tOSU's pass D is dead last in ypg.
https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...nks-130th-in-yards-per-game-through-two-games
BTW: The Indiana QB that carved them up for a half was benched in their game this past Saturday. That;s how bad tOSU's secondary is - it made a Juco crap QB look like "the best QB and WRs tOSU will face all year." (yea, eat it Herbstreit).

I see tOSU losing to Michigan and Penn State for sure, and perhaps losing one they shouldn't. Extremely over-ranked, especially in light of how they finished last year.

I still want to see our secondary hold up against a top passing attack. Barrett is also going to lose his starting QB spot, sooner or later.

Good points, and I agree that it's too soon to know who's really good and who isn't. But I like the way our guys are playing right now, and was impressed at how they handled the environment in Columbus.

That said, Jordan Thomas was lucky that he didn't have two touchdowns rung up on him Saturday night... the long ball over the middle that went through the receiver's hands and the corner route in the end zone that Barrett overthrew.

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT