ADVERTISEMENT

Should OU drop Nike?

I think that's a narrative that has been skewed. The conversations that are had in the community isn't that cops target blacks, its that when blacks are targets of extreme handling there is no accountability for law enforcement. The conversations are that the profiling that has gone on has many people on edge when it comes to black people where first instict of a LEO in many cases is that his life is in danger because its a person of color that is in question, because of heightened tensions and dehumanization POC of quicker to be killed and slower to find justice. I don't think if you talk to the average person of color they feel they are targets, but I will tell you a majority of us will tell you that there is a heightened tension when approached by law because there is a possiblity that if any movement or statement is misunderstood we might not make it home.

I really don't know what the NFL players are protesting. I honestly don't think they do either

I think that's a narrative that has been skewed. The conversations that are had in the community isn't that cops target blacks, its that when blacks are targets of extreme handling there is no accountability for law enforcement. The conversations are that the profiling that has gone on has many people on edge when it comes to black people where first instict of a LEO in many cases is that his life is in danger because its a person of color that is in question, because of heightened tensions and dehumanization POC of quicker to be killed and slower to find justice. I don't think if you talk to the average person of color they feel they are targets, but I will tell you a majority of us will tell you that there is a heightened tension when approached by law because there is a possiblity that if any movement or statement is misunderstood we might not make it home.

Yeah I'm sure there's plenty of tension but it goes both ways, and there's plenty of statistics and evidence to point to as to why law enforcement, not just white LEOs, are on edge during encounters with African Americans.

The problem is that guys like Kap and the liberal talking heads are pushing a false narrative that law enforcement are systematically hunting down AAs and murdering them. It drives the wedge further.

Nikes motive has nothing to do with Kap's kneeling. It has everything to do with Trump trying to raise tariffs on goods made over seas. If Nike cared about oppressed people they wouldn't be using factories in Asia to make their products.

Yeah I'm sure there's plenty of tension but it goes both ways, and there's plenty of statistics and evidence to point to as to why law enforcement, not just white LEOs, are on edge during encounters with African Americans.

The problem is that guys like Kap and the liberal talking heads are pushing a false narrative that law enforcement are systematically hunting down AAs and murdering them. It drives the wedge further.
Biggest wedge is lack of accountability when people who are there to serve and protect get it wrong.

I really don't know what the NFL players are protesting. I honestly don't think they do either

Challenge here is they aren't all protesting the same thing. They don't all have the same hot buttons just like you and I don't have the same hot buttons.

The area where they probably do come together is why nobody would be held accountable in the death of someone like Philando castille

People not effected by protests have always had a problem with people protesting. This is nothing new

Biggest wedge is lack of accountability when people who are there to serve and protect get it wrong.
Did Darren Wilson get it wrong with Michael Brown?

What happens when the narrative that law enforcement got it wrong is a completely false narrative? I don't see anyone retracting the narrative once it's thrown out there. Does a false narrative cause a "wedge" too?

What happens when the narrative that law enforcement got it wrong is a completely false narrative? I don't see anyone retracting the narrative once it's thrown out there. Does a false narrative cause a "wedge" too?
I get your point, but if I throw you Sandra Bland I'm sue you have a come back for that too. I mean have you personally found fault in any of the killings? Because I have seen plenty on here that assume each of these have been clean shoots..as if we were hunting deer or something

Consider. At the time of the signing of the Declaration and the acceptance of the Constitution, only about six percent of the general public could vote.

https://jer.pennpress.org/media/26167/sampleArt22.pdf

We had similar laws to those of England in that propertied gentry could vote. .Even twenty-five years later, only about twenty-five percent of the populace could vote. We were rather specific in defining what rendered a person eligible to vote. Blacks and Indians were accorded three-fifths of a person, but only for the purpose of defining the number of delegates to which a state was entitled. They didn't have three-fifths of any rights. That is the plan of our forefathers.

We actually had to have a war in order to establish the right to vote for a large part of the population. Even after a war, it didn't accomplish the access to the vote. We had poll taxes, poll tests, and reading requirements that seemed to apply only to some people, same as voter IDs do now.

Yet, it was another sixty years before women had universal suffrage, 1920.

In order to get the right to vote, we had wars, Constitutional amendments, civil rights laws (more than one) and voter's rights acts. At every step, there was opposition. We still don't have an Equal Rights Amendment, as though it were somehow a problem to acknowledge equal privileges to women.

None of this has come easy, and at every step there is always someone standing in opposition who says that the protests, wars, amendments, laws, acts, and anything else is inappropriate and unamerican.

Fortunately, Jefferson and Madison, along with some others, knew it would be this way. They provided the means to change, but even they had been unable to change the minds of their adversaries about some of these issues. They indicated that they knew we would change it, but they also knew it would be over great resistance.

When we refused to reject slavery in the Declaration, I think it is apparent that Jefferson would have knelt in protest, except that we didn't have a national anthem for another 160 years.

Yes.

I hear you. I understand both sides. I just don't really believe in this mass boycott vendor crap. Look at the flip side. The people protesting Nike now were probably laughing at those protesting Chik-fil-a a couple of years ago. Does anyone really think any of these companies will care? Will anyone remember that matters to their bottom line? It's just moaning and groaning for nothing. I prefer to keep my head up and positive. Worry about my family and my happiness.

I think maybe your missing the point of boycotting a product. While when doing so in mass, a drop in % of revenue will most likely will occur but the reason I boycott anything is my selfworth and my value. Knowing that I give $$ to someone or something that I believe is doing something wrong is not comfortable for me. I don't enjoy it. Therefore I wish to exclude my intake of food, product, entertainment and/or services. Nike won't miss my money as I've never been a fan of their style of clothing. So I don't have any swoosh products in my closet but a pair of flip flops, and I tossed them this morning.

I get your point, but if I throw you Sandra Bland I'm sue you have a come back for that too. I mean have you personally found fault in any of the killings? Because I have seen plenty on here that assume each of these have been clean shoots..as if we were hunting deer or something

The point is that each case needs to be handled based on the evidence and let due process rule out. There is corruption. There are bad cops. They are the vast minority. However, the majority of these cases, when the dust settles, prove that the initial hysteria driven by the liberal media painted a distorted picture before uncovering the truth. And they don't correct their lies because they've moved onto the next race baiting, cops are the bogeyman story. Meanwhile, the fires are still burning, sometimes literally, in the city of the last pile of lies, where the real victims are left picking up the pieces of their homes and businesses.

And I don't give one sheep testicle about kneeling or Kaepernick or Nike. But Colin is not some brave hero standing (or not) against the machine for the greater good. He's a phony. They all are. Because their is zero evidence to support systematic racism, corruption and brutality against AAs, or any race on some national scale amongst law enforcement. It's a lie.

What makes it a "clean shoot?" Is there a "dirty shoot?" What exactly would that be? A cop killing someone just for the thrill of killing them?

I think maybe your missing the point of boycotting a product. While when doing so in mass, a drop in % of revenue will most likely will occur but the reason I boycott anything is my selfworth and my value.

Yes, and that's an honorable thing to do. Bitching, belly-aching and screaming from the tree tops, however, seems like a waste of time to me. I fully tailor many of my purchases not towards the best value or best product but rather towards something I respect. I practice it, but I don't find much sense in getting worked up over it or feeling like I'm "sticking it" to someone.

What makes it a "clean shoot?" Is there a "dirty shoot?" What exactly would that be? A cop killing someone just for the thrill of killing them?
a killing where people think it was justified...
a killing where people think it wasn't

don't act naive we are having a decent convo here

No. It will not matter. Why give up the money? Do you dislike the unis?

Because the money is dirty. Tainted. Does OU really need the money that bad? And yes. I dislike the UNIs and what they now represent.
It appears that the Sooner football program has been bought & paid for by an organization that has by design entered into the bullshit political propaganda arena.

a killing where people think it was justified...
a killing where people think it wasn't

don't act naive we are having a decent convo here
Act naive? Nah. I'm just trying to understand what your views are. I've never heard of "clean kill."

Who is "people" in your quoted post? Jury? Judge? DA? Police Department? The public in general?

Because the money is dirty. Tainted. Does OU really need the money that bad? And yes. I dislike the UNIs and what they now represent.
It appears that the Sooner football program has been bought & paid for by an organization that has by design entered into the bullshit political propaganda arena.

That's dramatic.

Reactions: Schoonerman
That's dramatic.

Actually... what NIKE has done is dramatic.

OU has just entered into an agreement w/ NIKE as the parent comany of Jordan. I wonder if they knew this was coming or if it would have even made a difference?

Consider. At the time of the signing of the Declaration and the acceptance of the Constitution, only about six percent of the general public could vote.

https://jer.pennpress.org/media/26167/sampleArt22.pdf

We had similar laws to those of England in that propertied gentry could vote. .Even twenty-five years later, only about twenty-five percent of the populace could vote. We were rather specific in defining what rendered a person eligible to vote. Blacks and Indians were accorded three-fifths of a person, but only for the purpose of defining the number of delegates to which a state was entitled. They didn't have three-fifths of any rights. That is the plan of our forefathers.

We actually had to have a war in order to establish the right to vote for a large part of the population. Even after a war, it didn't accomplish the access to the vote. We had poll taxes, poll tests, and reading requirements that seemed to apply only to some people, same as voter IDs do now.

Yet, it was another sixty years before women had universal suffrage, 1920.

In order to get the right to vote, we had wars, Constitutional amendments, civil rights laws (more than one) and voter's rights acts. At every step, there was opposition. We still don't have an Equal Rights Amendment, as though it were somehow a problem to acknowledge equal privileges to women.

None of this has come easy, and at every step there is always someone standing in opposition who says that the protests, wars, amendments, laws, acts, and anything else is inappropriate and unamerican.

Fortunately, Jefferson and Madison, along with some others, knew it would be this way. They provided the means to change, but even they had been unable to change the minds of their adversaries about some of these issues. They indicated that they knew we would change it, but they also knew it would be over great resistance.

When we refused to reject slavery in the Declaration, I think it is apparent that Jefferson would have knelt in protest, except that we didn't have a national anthem for another 160 years.

And now we let dead people vote, illegals vote, and we let folks vote in multiple locations. We’ve come a long way, baby.....

You’re probably right. OU probably is bought and paid for. Maybe you will get your wish if OU follows Alabama’s lead. I hear the Tide is dropping Nike over this deal. Lol. NOT!

Last edited:
Act naive? Nah. I'm just trying to understand what your views are. I've never heard of "clean kill."

Who is "people" in your quoted post? Jury? Judge? DA? Police Department? The public in general?
I'm interested in who these "people" are you are referring to as well.

Good lets take a poll!

How many in here thought the Philandro Castille killing was justified? How many didint?

Personally. I thought it wasn't and there should have been some legal repercussions. What about you?

Good lets take a poll!

How many in here thought the Philandro Castille killing was justified? How many didint?

Personally. I thought it wasn't and there should have been some legal repercussions. What about you?
Too much grey area for me to determine one way or another. Do I think Castille deserved to be shot and killed? Absolutely NOT. But if I ever tell an officer I have a firearm on me during a traffic stop, the last damn thing I'm gonna do is start reaching for ANYTHING in the car. If there is video showing exactly what was going on inside the car in the moments leading up to the shots being fired, I would love to see it. Without that, then no way can I say for certain.

Reactions: Oklabama
Too much grey area for me to determine one way or another. Do I think Castille deserved to be shot and killed? Absolutely NOT. But if I ever tell an officer I have a firearm on me during a traffic stop, the last damn thing I'm gonna do is start reaching for ANYTHING in the car. If there is video showing exactly what was going on inside the car in the moments leading up to the shots being fired, I would love to see it. Without that, then no way can I say for certain.

Agreed. But at the same time, the race baiters are implying that he's dead because he's black. Obviously I can't know for sure, but I'm 99.99% sure the officer didn't pull the trigger because of the color of Philando's skin.

The reality is that we have a lot of below average Joe's employed as police officers because the job is thankless and the pay is shit in most places. Then when you send officers into black communities where they've been vilified as "out to get the black man" since the residents were little kids, it creates immediate strife and promotes disobedience by civilians for no other reason than to be a difficult.

Agreed. But at the same time, the race baiters are implying that he's dead because he's black. Obviously I can't know for sure, but I'm 99.99% sure the officer didn't pull the trigger because of the color of Philando's skin.

The reality is that we have a lot of below average Joe's employed as police officers because the job is thankless and the pay is shit in most places. Then when you send officers into black communities where they've been vilified as "out to get the black man" since the residents were little kids, it creates immediate strife and promotes disobedience by civilians for no other reason than to be a difficult.

I think there is equal blame in that media as villafied the black man and made him out to be a threat. Because lets be honest, how many times do you hear about white women getting shot by police.
I know I'm being extreme there but cops walk up on black people on edge at a much higher rate than white people for sure

Reactions: Schoonerman

In m household we didnt talk about the police as the boogie man...but we were taught to be respectful but while that has allowed me to return home after each interaction it hasn't always resulted in being treated with respect or attempted intimidation. To an earlier point you made, there are a ton of underqualified police running around armed and with a badge. These guys are paid to serve and protect and should have the training to be calm and diffuse a situation. There are plenty of examples where the trained person isn't calm, doesnt diffuse and part of the reason the altercation even begins.

Back to my earlier point about race playing a factor.
Here let me give you another example . What about Terrence Crutcher who was shot in Oklahoma...do you think he gets killed if he isn't described as "a big bad dude"?

I think there is equal blame in that media as villafied the black man and made him out to be a threat. Because lets be honest, how many times do you hear about white women getting shot by police.
I know I'm being extreme there but cops walk up on black people on edge at a much higher rate than white people for sure

With that being the case it always amazes me how many times I’ve seen video of a guy not doing what he is told by the officer. Don’t reach, get down, stand still, don’t run, put your hands up, turn around, get out of the car. Pretty simple instructions. If a cop tells you get on your knees, just do and do the first time he tells you. Especially when the officer has a gun pointed at you. That’s not a black or white thing.

For good reason! I don't care what color my skin is, if I'm responding to a call in a ghetto of a black community, I'm going to be nervous.

There is a massive culture issue in black communities that they need to take responsibility for. So many minorities are mentally enslaving themselves and they can and deserve better than that.

Reactions: BillyRay
Here let me give you another example . What about Terrence Crutcher who was shot in Oklahoma...do you think he gets killed if he isn't described as "a big bad dude"?
Do you think he gets killed if he actually followed commands and did what officers told him to do?? Your reference of "big bad dude" was actually the helicopter crew talking between themselves. As far as I had heard, that wasn't transmitted over the radio where officers on the ground would have heard it. So how would it had affected whether he was shot or not?

Reactions: veritas59

I'm not agreeing with this narative. The pay might be shit but to say that LEOs are 'below average Joe's' is bullshit in my books. And the facts will show that a very large percent officers that patrol in black communities are black officers. When they shoot and kill blacks they're called Uncle Toms and other such racist names. The fact is that there are hundreds of thousand wonderful men & women of all races who wear a badge and protect us every day & night. And there are millions of great wonderful black men and women that are protected by them as well. So eff Kapernick and his ilk, and Nike as well. Blue lives matter as much as black lives.

And Oklabama, I have no issue w/ OU selling out to corporate America for money, but when that corporation goes political, yes it's time to sever the business relationship and find another stream of revenue.

For good reason! I don't care what color my skin is, if I'm responding to a call in a ghetto of a black community, I'm going to be nervous.

There is a massive culture issue in black communities that they need to take responsibility for. So many minorities are mentally enslaving themselves and they can and deserve better than that.
Yeah the cop that shot Jordan Edwards was responding to a crime "in the hood" that had him on edge.

That is the most offensive statement I've seen because people act like these crimes against blacks only happen "in the Hood" and to people who deserved it. If you can't see how your thinking is part of the problem i'm wasting my time in this thread.

Reactions: sybarite43
In m household we didnt talk about the police as the boogie man...but we were taught to be respectful but while that has allowed me to return home after each interaction it hasn't always resulted in being treated with respect or attempted intimidation. To an earlier point you made, there are a ton of underqualified police running around armed and with a badge. These guys are paid to serve and protect and should have the training to be calm and diffuse a situation. There are plenty of examples where the trained person isn't calm, doesnt diffuse and part of the reason the altercation even begins.

I can give you 45 examples of LEOs killed by gunfire in 2017 alone. None of which made headlines to where their death shown repeatedly for weeks, months on end. Did they deserve to be shot? Killed? Did they sacrifice for something they believed in?

With regards to training. They are trained. You're falling for another BS narrative. They don't issues guns & badges today like Marshall Dillon did in Gunsmoke. They're charged with the responsibility on cleaning up the streets of America. From DUIs to child molestors, from murderers to rapists. The streets are full of filthy, dirty, "big bad dudes" that have killed or attempted to LEOs.

Yeah the cop that shot Jordan Edwards was responding to a crime "in the hood" that had him on edge.

That is the most offensive statement I've seen because people act like these crimes against blacks only happen "in the Hood" and to people who deserved it. If you can't see how your thinking is part of the problem i'm wasting my time in this thread.

Facts are often offensive to the weak.

I have not and never will state that all AAs killed by LEOs are justified or take place in mostly black communities, but many do. That is why I have no problem waiting for the facts. But if you think my statement is untrue, I say prove me wrong or go read up on the positions of Thomas Sowell or check out Jesse Peterson or Candace Owens on YouTube.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT