ADVERTISEMENT

Should OU drop Nike?

soonermade

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2001
Nike supports Kap for kneeling. Guess who also supports Kap? Crazy man Ex-CIA Director John Brennan and former Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Nike is taking a lot of heat and people are videotaping themselves burning their shoes, etc... Wish OU would've signed a deal with Under Armour, much better product anyway.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Hell no. Just add Nike to the list of companies (Coca-Cola, NFL, Starbucks, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc.) being boycotted by the snowflakes and move on. No one's life is going be any better or worse off because of Nike's stand on racial inequality.

Nike supports Kap for kneeling. Guess who also supports Kap? Crazy man Ex-CIA Director John Brennan and former Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Nike is taking a lot of heat and people are videotaping themselves burning their shoes, etc... Wish OU would've signed a deal with Under Armour, much better product anyway.
should you crawl in a racist pit and expire?

While I question to a certain degree Kaepernick's intellectual motive(s) on kneeling, I see his right to do so and I also believe his action is not worth the controversy it has generated. His claim of racial injustice rings hollow to me when considering we elected a black man for two terms as president. But as long as there are politicians and an agenda-driven media telling us there's racism....thereby creating more racism....situations like this will be frequent.

Just add Nike to the list of companies (Coca-Cola, NFL, Starbucks, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc.) being boycotted by the snowflakes and move on.

Since when are liberals boycotting these? That's news to me. I would think you all would love these brands.

As a confirmed liberal, be careful in what you write in these threads unless you want a political war on the boards. As far as Nike is concerned, OU's new deal is with Jordan Brand, which appears to be owned by Nike but is separate from the marketing tool of Air Jordan.

Reactions: njbauman and opk
Let's call this what it is--a business decision by Nike. They're betting on a millennial "cool" factor that they believe Kaepernick represents. They wouldn't be doing it if, in the long run, they didn't believe this action will sell more shoes, shirts, etc. They have to think they can ride out the backlash from those who think Kap is a douche. They're also betting any backlash will be short-lived.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out from a purely economic perspective.

Reactions: runningback43
Let's call this what it is--a business decision by Nike. They're betting on a millennial "cool" factor that they believe Kaepernick represents. They wouldn't be doing it if, in the long run, they didn't believe this action will sell more shoes, shirts, etc. They have to think they can ride out the backlash from those who think Kap is a douche. They're also betting any backlash will be short-lived.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out from a purely economic perspective.

Yep, they had the Accountants crunch the numbers before they went public with it, won't phase em one bit. Remember, no company has ever gone bankrupt underestimating the intelligence of the American public. :D

Reactions: iasooner1
Since when are liberals boycotting these? That's news to me. I would think you all would love these brands.

l've heard the term "snowflake" used by both liberal and conservative political talking heads the last couple of years. I consider it a generic term that has been applied to both liberals and conservatives, depending on the situation. Kind of like the term "redneck." Most people associate the term with people living in the south, we all know there are rednecks in every corner of the country.

Not to derail this thread, but the point I was making is that Nike's position on racial inequality or whatever you to call it doesn't mean jack squat. No one's mind is going to be changed nor is anyone's life going to be better or worse because of a PR campaign by a sporting goods company. I would be surprised if anyone is going to give up their OU season tickets over this and if they do, they are what I'd consider a snowflake. :p

While I question to a certain degree Kaepernick's intellectual motive(s) on kneeling, I see his right to do so and I also believe his action is not worth the controversy it has generated. His claim of racial injustice rings hollow to me when considering we elected a black man for two terms as president. But as long as there are politicians and an agenda-driven media telling us there's racism....thereby creating more racism....situations like this will be frequent.
let me get this strait,so you are saying just because there was a black president, there is no racism or inequality? WOW!!

let me get this strait,so you are saying just because there was a black president, there is no racism or inequality? WOW!!

No. That's not what he's saying and you know it. Don't play stupid. The fact is, you and many other liberals bragged to the world that a black man finally was elected as the POTUS. He was even given a Nobel Peace Prize because he was a black POTUS. As such, the USA w/ regards to racism has indeed changed. Gone are the days when President Johnson rammed through a Civil Rights bill while calling black people the N word. So I'd say things have changed for the better. And yes Kapernick has the right to protest. So big effing deal. Those who do not like his style of protests have the right to discontinue their support of the NFL and NIKE if they wish. See how that works? Finally stop telling the board and probably the world that you're a veteran. No one really gives a damn and you didn't do a damn thing to ensure that Kapernick gets to protest anyway.

Whitlock has a great take on this; ultimate irony that Nike has to try & cover up their use of 3rd world slave labor to make their products & use Cap the fool's tool to "deflect

That is the first thing that came to my mind, as well.

Well we just got burned by Nike, so eff'em.
Reebok, you got next til you eff up.

I hear you. I understand both sides. I just don't really believe in this mass boycott vendor crap. Look at the flip side. The people protesting Nike now were probably laughing at those protesting Chik-fil-a a couple of years ago. Does anyone really think any of these companies will care? Will anyone remember that matters to their bottom line? It's just moaning and groaning for nothing. I prefer to keep my head up and positive. Worry about my family and my happiness.

Screw Nike and Screw Phil Knight. The Goddess of Competition's name has been soiled by this prick. I boycotted Nike products in 1984. I have given away Nike gifts on many occasions. My dislike of anything Nike is widely known in my small circle of life. By the way, Jordan profits ends up in the coffers of Nike. Jordan is not a stand alone company. It is a subsidiary of Nike. Michael Jordan owns shares in Nike as a result of endorsement of Jordan brand. Nike Annual Reports are public knowledge.

I support law enforcement and I'm proud of the USA. I am also in the majority.

I think everyone supports our LEOs, but supporting LE doesn't mean you can't draw awareness to instances of police brutality and corruption. It's easy for me to support both I don't know why it's so hard for others to do the same.

There are plenty that are upset to be sure, but If you think you are in the Majority on this issue you live in an echo chamber.
Not sure.

But I think the real question is how long it'll take for Nike to recapture their $3.75 billion market cap loss today? That's a lot of swooshes.

It won't be a long lasting hit. If you're an investor you'd buy some stock today and get an easy 3% return over the next couple of weeks during the bounce. Nike knows who it's base is.

The whole Kap thing seems to be based on a big lie that the police are targeting blacks. Thats ridiculous

The whole Kap thing seems to be based on a big lie that the police are targeting blacks. Thats ridiculous
I think that's a narrative that has been skewed. The conversations that are had in the community isn't that cops target blacks, its that when blacks are targets of extreme handling there is no accountability for law enforcement. The conversations are that the profiling that has gone on has many people on edge when it comes to black people where first instict of a LEO in many cases is that his life is in danger because its a person of color that is in question, because of heightened tensions and dehumanization POC of quicker to be killed and slower to find justice. I don't think if you talk to the average person of color they feel they are targets, but I will tell you a majority of us will tell you that there is a heightened tension when approached by law because there is a possiblity that if any movement or statement is misunderstood we might not make it home.

Being affiliated both with the police and the military, I find it disgraceful to the men and women who have died for our country, both wearing military and police uniforms.

It is NOT racist to feel this way. It is AMERICAN and PATRIOTIC to feel this way so stop using the weak ass race card when someone black is involved. How is it racist to be against kneeling during the National Anthem in the presence of the American flag? Kap should have chosen a different way to protest, he chose poorly and now the NFL and Nike are paying the price.

Being affiliated both with the police and the military, I find it disgraceful to the men and women who have died for our country, both wearing military and police uniforms.

It is NOT racist to feel this way. It is AMERICAN and PATRIOTIC to feel this way so stop using the weak ass race card when someone black is involved. How is it racist to be against kneeling during the National Anthem in the presence of the American flag? Kap should have chosen a different way to protest, he chose poorly and now the NFL and Nike are paying the price.
Plenty of people with similiar affiliations feel the opposite. Not saying you don't have the right to feel like you do, but its not like you speak for all people with LE or Military affiliation

I'll just leave this here.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT