ADVERTISEMENT

Several folks w/ sources on pay board are saying...

I think even in recruiting the writing was on the wall. Every DB and LB we missed on. I'm sure every coach was telling recruits that if they committed to OU, the odds are their position coach would not be at OU

Waaaay past time imo. If this is true and Ruffin McNeill is named as the new DC I will throw up.

If we can get strong LB and DB assistants, McNeil might not be that bad. He's a strong recruiter and brought in good Dlineman. Right now, our biggest concerns, are fundamentals and lack of quality depth. We have to get someone in fast and hopefully land a few DB and LB. The 2017 class, is deep at DB and some of those guys should step up.

Who's can we get? With so many coaching changes, most of the good position coaches took jobs. McNeil has not been associated with great position coaches, so he can't lean into that tree.

I think it was in the 3rd and I turn to my friends: "If I'm UGA on 3rd and 6 here I'm calling a draw", mainly because Fromm was woeful on 3rd downs. Sure enough, I think it was Michel who ran through a gaping hole on the right side all the way to paydirt untouched, on a draw. If a fan can see that....jayzus. Mike's years of experience have simply lead to yelling, like a senile old man.

I think it was in the 3rd and I turn to my friends: "If I'm UGA on 3rd and 6 here I'm calling a draw", mainly because Fromm was woeful on 3rd downs. Sure enough, I think it was Michel who ran through a gaping hole on the right side all the way to paydirt untouched, on a draw. If a fan can see that....jayzus. Mike's years of experience have simply lead to yelling, like a senile old man.

Yes, this Freshman QB called an audible and changed the play based on the allignment that OU was in. They lined w/ no one on that side of the field. It's just another reason why Mike Stoops has to resign or be fired.

If we can get strong LB and DB assistants, McNeil might not be that bad. He's a strong recruiter and brought in good Dlineman. Right now, our biggest concerns, are fundamentals and lack of quality depth. We have to get someone in fast and hopefully land a few DB and LB. The 2017 class, is deep at DB and some of those guys should step up.
Who's can we get? With so many coaching changes, most of the good position coaches took jobs. McNeil has not been associated with great position coaches, so he can't lean into that tree.
Spot On, 8085...The Funda FREAKIN'mentals are my Main Pain...I could coach the Linebackers better than Mikey...

Mikey.... he gone.

If true, I'm sure it'll be done w/ a nice send off type resignation.
Don't care if it is a nice send off or if he is shot out of a cannon. I just want him gone. Don't think Ruffin will be the next DC. I think Riley hired him as his "Administrative Assistant" and kind of overseer. I think LR will go after a young up and comer for DC with same drive and vision as his.

Don't care if it is a nice send off or if he is shot out of a cannon. I just want him gone. Don't think Ruffin will be the next DC. I think Riley hired him as his "Administrative Assistant" and kind of overseer. I think LR will go after a young up and comer for DC with same drive and vision as his.

Same here, he can go be Bob's groundskeeper or chief bottle washer for all I care, he just needs to go.

We need not think that we are the only ones that are so adamant about that, but we ARE the most verbal. Cleaning OUr House Talks EZ/Duz Hard, IMO...OUr timing is poor for hiring a Top-Tier DC. We mustn't trade one problem for another...So much to consider...I believe that now that OUr Season has ended, that issue can get full attention. I have concerns about the focus turning to the Boren Replacement and trumping the Coaching 'Problem'. I don't want it swept under the carpet another year!

Hate to bust bubbles, but I’m on the pay board and there’s nothing definitive about Mike Stoops leaving that I’ve seen. Wishing just like on this board. Mike has to go and like Calsooner said, the loss will be worth it if it results in his firing. Beyond embarrassing.

I wonder if Bobs position will hinder getting rid of Mike? I saw on a website Bob has a title Special Assistant in the Athletic Dept with a salary of over 300,000 per year. What does a Special Assistant do?
With Bobs finger still in the OU pie will it be hard for them to let Mike go? I am guessing it won't happen.

Last edited:
Waaaay past time imo. If this is true and Ruffin McNeill is named as the new DC I will throw up.
This was the first thought in my head when Ruffin was hired: DC IN WAITING. I hope like you that’s not the case but something has to change. Those long td’s their backs made while going untouched through our DL was so bad. Total give away of a game imo.

Mike Stoops is our DB coach

Jordan Parker, Freshman Defensive player BigXII 2014. He had been coached all of his life, by HS and little league coaches. He had all of the tools, fundamentals, eye for the game. 3 years later and Mike Stoops, ruined that kids career.

Why was he great as a freshman? He still had good coaching from his HS days. What happened to him? Mike Stoops screwed up EVERYTHING, he learned as a kid that made him great. Every year, he went backwards. Now he's done and has no NFL career.

Last edited:
Reactions: JConXtsy
I think speculation continues because he did not hit the road much this recruiting cycle & he has yet to hold his after game presser.

I do think something is up.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Okay it’s hasn’t even been 2 days since the season ended for all of us, yet every additional day with no news worries the shit out of me. I’m beginning to get that same sick feeling in my stomach I had during the second half Monday afternoon.

Mike Stoops is our DB coach

I agree with everything you wrote, but I believe Kerry Cooks is our official DB coach. It bothers me a bit that his name is never mentioned.

Tim Kish is often mentioned.

Maybe the delay is that Lincoln Riley not only has to replace one guy but rather 3 guys. Does Kish stay if Stoops is gone? I'd be surprised. Is Kerry Cooks at all to blame for the DBs or has Stoops handcuffed him with ignorance?

I'd be surprised if we're only looking for a new DC.

I agree with everything you wrote, but I believe Kerry Cooks is our official DB coach. It bothers me a bit that his name is never mentioned.

Maybe the delay is that Lincoln Riley not only has to replace one guy but rather 3 guys. Does Kish stay if Stoops is gone? I'd be surprised. Is Kerry Cooks at all to blame for the DBs or has Stoops handcuffed him with ignorance?

If changes occur, I would expect multiple hirings.

Sadly, I'll be surprised if we are even LOOKING for a new one...:mad:

I think people are overlooking one main problem. As long as Bob is still in the program as he seems to be then getting rid of Mike is not likely to happen. Why do you think Heupel was fired and not Mike? Mike has been far worse than Josh was and over a longer period.

This team just won the Big 12 for the 3rd year in a row, had a Heisman winner at QB and went to the playoffs. How many teams out there would make any changes to a staff that just accomplished all of that? Not many if any would except for maybe Saban if he had a DC like Mike but Saban would never hire someone like Mike in the first place. Until Mike starts costing us Big 12 titles and wins on a weekly basis I don't see him leaving unless he was to resign and that aint gonna happen.

I think people are overlooking one main problem. As long as Bob is still in the program as he seems to be then getting rid of Mike is not likely to happen. Why do you think Heupel was fired and not Mike? Mike has been far worse than Josh was and over a longer period.
This team just won the Big 12 for the 3rd year in a row, had a Heisman winner at QB and went to the playoffs. How many teams out there would make any changes to a staff that just accomplished all of that? Not many if any would except for maybe Saban if he had a DC like Mike but Saban would never hire someone like Mike in the first place. Until Mike starts costing us Big 12 titles and wins on a weekly basis I don't see him leaving unless he was to resign and that aint gonna happen.

THAT'S IT...In a Nutshell! :mad:

26219499_2039941879354817_6441277530746447079_n.jpg

I hate what you just typed because I am afraid it is correct. I have found watching a short lived but fantastic show, Deadwood, has helped the recovery process.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
The more I read of Lincoln’s comments about Mike, the more I believe he isn’t going to do anything directly about Mike. Right now Riley is acting Stoopid. No way can he defend the Mike Stoops defense against elite offensive teams. Winning the Big XII isn’t enough when you have an offense like OU had this year. No excuse to have lost to Georgia the way we did.

The more I read of Lincoln’s comments about Mike, the more I believe he isn’t going to do anything directly about Mike. Right now Riley is acting Stoopid. No way can he defend the Mike Stoops defense against elite offensive teams. Winning the Big XII isn’t enough when you have an offense like OU had this year. No excuse to have lost to Georgia the way we did.

Just imagine if they had played an elite offense at the Rose Bowl, or a team without a freshman starting at qb, or Mike's cryptonite: a team with an athletic qb

OK, I'll take a stab at it.

At the time of the Huepel firing if you recall I was a strong advocate of both being fired. I also like many didn't think Bob Stoops would fire both of them at the same time. I always thought that he would do the deed on Mike the following year. But that never occurred.

We are all about to see and witness the real Lincoln Riley. Is he his own man? Or is he a Bob Stoops puppet? So far he's been walking a company line for team unity etc. We may not see any changes until the after the official signing day of this recruiting class in an effort to show unity. If you recall, Heupel was fired and Riley hired after the signing day that year. Another point of contention could be when Mike Stoops current contract expires. As to your questioning of what teams would fire or make changes w/ OU's success my opinion is 'Don't wait til it's broke to fix it'

I have given Riley the benefit of the doubt since his HC hire as it is deserving and earned. But his honeymoon is officially over. If it gets to a point to where we see that Riley is Bob Stoops puppet, then you will see me in a different light. Mike is beyond should be fired. Those days are gone. It's at a stage now of he must be fired.

OK, I'll take a stab at it.

At the time of the Huepel firing if you recall I was a strong advocate of both being fired. I also like many didn't think Bob Stoops would fire both of them at the same time. I always thought that he would do the deed on Mike the following year. But that never occurred.

We are all about to see and witness the real Lincoln Riley. Is he his own man? Or is he a Bob Stoops puppet? So far he's been walking a company line for team unity etc. We may not see any changes until the after the official signing day of this recruiting class in an effort to show unity. If you recall, Heupel was fired and Riley hired after the signing day that year. Another point of contention could be when Mike Stoops current contract expires. As to your questioning of what teams would fire or make changes w/ OU's success my opinion is 'Don't wait til it's broke to fix it'

I have given Riley the benefit of the doubt since his HC hire as it is deserving and earned. But his honeymoon is officially over. If it gets to a point to where we see that Riley is Bob Stoops puppet, then you will see me in a different light. Mike is beyond should be fired. Those days are gone. It's at a stage now of he must be fired.

I agree with all that but sometimes Head Coaches don't make a change unless forced to. Where is the pressure going to come from to get rid of Mike?
I believe Bob made a change at OC because of pressure not because he wanted to. Where did that pressure come from? I don't know. I do know a lot of fans wanted a change at OC just like now with DC but Josh didn't have a brother within the program that just happens to be OU's all time winningest Coach.

Lincoln Riley inherited pretty much this whole staff, Stoops leftovers, and at the time due to the timing of Bob retiring he had no choice to retain this staff. Most times when there is a HC change the incoming HC puts together his own staff but Lincoln did not have that luxury, would he have made a lot of changes if he could have? Any changes at all? I doubt it and DC would not have been one in my opinion because Bob is still in the program. Anyone that thinks Bob will not stand up for Mike if it is being discussed of a possible change at DC is fooling themselves, thats what brothers do. Only way I see it happening is if Bob is asked to talk to Mike and get him to resign, to step away for the good of the program but I just don't see him being fired. Hope I am wrong but just a feeling.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT