ADVERTISEMENT

Several folks w/ sources on pay board are saying...

I agree with all that but sometimes Head Coaches don't make a change unless forced to. Where is the pressure going to come from to get rid of Mike?
I believe Bob made a change at OC because of pressure not because he wanted to. Where did that pressure come from? I don't know. I do know a lot of fans wanted a change at OC just like now with DC but Josh didn't have a brother within the program that just happens to be OU's all time winningest Coach.

Lincoln Riley inherited pretty much this whole staff, Stoops leftovers, and at the time due to the timing of Bob retiring he had no choice to retain this staff. Most times when there is a HC change the incoming HC puts together his own staff but Lincoln did not have that luxury, would he have made a lot of changes if he could have? Any changes at all? I doubt it and DC would not have been one in my opinion because Bob is still in the program. Anyone that thinks Bob will not stand up for Mike if it is being discussed of a possible change at DC is fooling themselves, thats what brothers do. Only way I see it happening is if Bob is asked to talk to Mike and get him to resign, to step away for the good of the program but I just don't see him being fired. Hope I am wrong but just a feeling.

Well there was no way Riley was going to fire the brother of the guy who basically gave him that job. I'm not even positive he will ever do it. I'm guessing all these guys are pretty close and Riley will never do that to a "friend". As I've said, Mike will have to take the initiative and quit before a change is made. At this point, he doesn't seem willing to do that

Well there was no way Riley was going to fire the brother of the guy who basically gave him that job. I'm not even positive he will ever do it. I'm guessing all these guys are pretty close and Riley will never do that to a "friend". As I've said, Mike will have to take the initiative and quit before a change is made. At this point, he doesn't seem willing to do that

Well, I'm pretty sure Castiglione has the ultimate power. It's time for him to take the next step in being the best AD in the country. Don't put this burden on the poor 34 yo kid whose hands are essentially tied by loyalty.

Well, I'm pretty sure Castiglione has the ultimate power. It's time for him to take the next step in being the best AD in the country. Don't put this burden on the poor 34 yo kid whose hands are essentially tied by loyalty.

Who knows what kinda emotional ties all of these guys have to one another. Castiglione and Mike could be drinking buddies for all we know

Who knows what kinda emotional ties all of these guys have to one another. Castiglione and Mike could be drinking buddies for all we know

I get that, but I'm less forgiving of Castiglione if he can't put emotions aside and make the correct job decision.
I'm more forgiving of Riley, because he probably feels like a lot of these guys are still "bigger" than him. You gotta understand that I'm sure the Stoops coaching tree spans far and wide and making a bad decision could hurt future opportunities. I seriously doubt Castiglione's future opportunities will ever be determined by some football coaching network.

I think LR is going to give Mike, Tim and Kerry a few weeks to find another job. Let them bowout with some dignity. I highly doubt Mike, Kerry or Tim will be here next month. Calvin might make the cut and of course McNeil is here to stay, at least for awhile. I also think Superman, gets that extra coaching spot.

aTm just might screw up CF as we know it. Rumors are swirling that aTm might pay Dave Aranda 2million to get him away from LSU. Leave it to the Corn Dogs and Aggys to mess CF up.

I'm pretty sure #LSU was going to be paying DC Dave Aranda $2M+ after Jimbo Fisher's first run at him. Aranda might end up making close to a million more a year than any other DC by the time these two schools are thru with this one battle.

At least to me this team still feels like Bob is running the show. What is different than when Bob was HC?
I am not saying thats bad only that it just feels like Bobs hand is still all over this team. Riley may be the HC but is he just a stand in so things stay as much the same as they were before Bob retired?
What exactly is Bob doing to earn over 300,000 a year as a Special Assistant? What decisions or input is he making and giving?
Just thinking out loud.

Well, if you are right, Lincoln Riley doesn’t deserve to be the head coach for Oklahoma. The HC should never ever put a friendship ahead of the best interest of the school, and if Riley doesn’t see what a mess Mike has created for the OU defense, then he’s not as smart as we have all been lead to believe. No way to sugar coat the issue with the OU defense and Mike Stoops in particular. Bob wasn’t fair to the school either, but he earned some leeway and it was his brother. He was wrong but it is more understandable. Lincoln will not get a pass like Bob did, and if he’s smart he will do what’s best for OU. Otherwise, he won’t succeed long term.

We gave Georgia more yards than Samford,SAMFORD! if that doesn't tell us something nothing will.He HAS to go ,I don't see any way that he could stay after that debacle.

Saban is the gold standard. If there are any college coaches that aren't studying how/why he's done what he has done, then they are fools. Fortunately, he's had some good assistance from the school by way of money.

Oklahoma
Lincoln Riley $3.1M
Bill Bedenbaugh $0.535M
Jay Boulware $0.4M
Kerry Cooks $0.475M
Cale Gundy $0.43M
Tim Kish $0.37M
Ruffin McNeil $0.56M
Dennis Simmons $0.35M
Mike Stoops $0.87M
Calvin Thibodeaux $0.27M
Total = $7.36M
Assistants = $4.26M

Alabama
Nick Saban $7.125M
Brian Daboll $1.2M
Jeremy Pruitt $1.4M
Tosh Lupoi $0.95M
Mike Locksley $0.6M
Joe Pannunzio $0.375M
Brent Key $0.4M
Burton Burns $0.49M
Derrick Ansley $0.405M
Karl Dunbar $0.425M
Total = $13.37M
Assistants = $6.245M

Saban would not employ Mike Stoops, not even at that half-price discount he has over Jeremy Pruitt.

Saban is the gold standard. If there are any college coaches that aren't studying how/why he's done what he has done, then they are fools. Fortunately, he's had some good assistance from the school by way of money.

Oklahoma
Lincoln Riley $3.1M
Bill Bedenbaugh $0.535M
Jay Boulware $0.4M
Kerry Cooks $0.475M
Cale Gundy $0.43M
Tim Kish $0.37M
Ruffin McNeil $0.56M
Dennis Simmons $0.35M
Mike Stoops $0.87M
Calvin Thibodeaux $0.27M
Total = $7.36M
Assistants = $4.26M

Alabama
Nick Saban $7.125M
Brian Daboll $1.2M
Jeremy Pruitt $1.4M
Tosh Lupoi $0.95M
Mike Locksley $0.6M
Joe Pannunzio $0.375M
Brent Key $0.4M
Burton Burns $0.49M
Derrick Ansley $0.405M
Karl Dunbar $0.425M
Total = $13.37M
Assistants = $6.245M

Saban would not employ Mike Stoops, not even at that half-price discount he has over Jeremy Pruitt.

Great post. Money talks and is, IMO, every bit as important for obtaining and keeping top assistants. Riley would have been hard to keep if he wanted to remain an OC because he could have made more as an OC somewhere other than Oklahoma. Coordinators (best) are going to demand seven figures and soon that will the standard. Defensive coordinators are paid more than OCs at most schools. Mike Stoops is overpaid but it would cost OU more to go get one of the top guys. Maybe that would even be impossible, but there’s got to be some one out there a hell of a lot better than Mike Stoops for what he is paid.

I agree with all that but sometimes Head Coaches don't make a change unless forced to. Where is the pressure going to come from to get rid of Mike?
I believe Bob made a change at OC because of pressure not because he wanted to. Where did that pressure come from? I don't know. I do know a lot of fans wanted a change at OC just like now with DC but Josh didn't have a brother within the program that just happens to be OU's all time winningest Coach.

Lincoln Riley inherited pretty much this whole staff, Stoops leftovers, and at the time due to the timing of Bob retiring he had no choice to retain this staff. Most times when there is a HC change the incoming HC puts together his own staff but Lincoln did not have that luxury, would he have made a lot of changes if he could have? Any changes at all? I doubt it and DC would not have been one in my opinion because Bob is still in the program. Anyone that thinks Bob will not stand up for Mike if it is being discussed of a possible change at DC is fooling themselves, thats what brothers do. Only way I see it happening is if Bob is asked to talk to Mike and get him to resign, to step away for the good of the program but I just don't see him being fired. Hope I am wrong but just a feeling.

67... there was no love loss between Huepel & Stoops. Stoops wasn’t a happy camper w Huepel towards the end. That relationship grew strained & sour. Just saying

Also it should be noted that when Borten walks away, so will a shit ton of Bob Stoops support and it’s why I think Bob resigned.

Well, if you are right, Lincoln Riley doesn’t deserve to be the head coach for Oklahoma. The HC should never ever put a friendship ahead of the best interest of the school, and if Riley doesn’t see what a mess Mike has created for the OU defense, then he’s not as smart as we have all been lead to believe. No way to sugar coat the issue with the OU defense and Mike Stoops in particular. Bob wasn’t fair to the school either, but he earned some leeway and it was his brother. He was wrong but it is more understandable. Lincoln will not get a pass like Bob did, and if he’s smart he will do what’s best for OU. Otherwise, he won’t succeed long term.
Oklabama is right on the money here. Could this be one of the decisions that a handful of years down the road we look back and think "yep that was one of the early decisions that eventually led to Riley failing". God I hope I end up being wrong.....

If this is the case, as I think it is, then the administration/donors, need to back away from Bob. He was a great coach but he is no longer the coach. His forcing or influencing the keeping of Mike to the detriment of the program is not right and needs to be stopped immediately. If it comes right down to it Riley needs to grow a pair and tell the administration it is either Bob or me, but it cannot be both. I would never accept a position under those circumstances.

If this is the case, as I think it is, then the administration/donors, need to back away from Bob. He was a great coach but he is no longer the coach. His forcing or influencing the keeping of Mike to the detriment of the program is not right and needs to be stopped immediately. If it comes right down to it Riley needs to grow a pair and tell the administration it is either Bob or me, but it cannot be both. I would never accept a position under those circumstances.

You are right. Lincoln Riley doesn’t and shouldn’t have to keep Mike anymore. He can find another great job now. He should know this, so if he doesn’t fire Mike, he is either a wuss or not ready to be a great head coach. It’s tough to fire friends. I’ve done it more times than I ever wanted, but business is business, and Lincoln has chosen to be in one of the most competitive businesses in America. So do your job, Lincoln. If someone tells you no, you would be better off going somewhere that allows you to succeed and go to the next level.

I wondered why Bob was on the sideline when they showed him late and the announcers said something like "Lincoln can't get any advice from him now". I was thinking: he's still getting paid so why can't he ?

Ya I wondered that as well. There is a rule that you can't get advice from a former coach? Not that Bob was trying to give any but it was just odd.

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT