ADVERTISEMENT

OU vs Corn game thread

He actually does. He's a pass first QB though.
You're a lot closer to it than I am, but I think you would agree that he's not the runner that Kyler and Jalen were. Maybe not even Baker. Not really referring to RPO, though, just the ability to make the defense pay with his legs when things break down. Defenses had to worry more about those guys taking off if they over committed. Not so much with Rattler.

mars-attacks-jack-nicholson.gif

Reactions: iasooner2000
You're a lot closer to it than I am, but I think you would agree that he's not the runner that Kyler and Jalen were. Maybe not even Baker. Not really referring to RPO, though, just the ability to make the defense pay with his legs when things break down. Defenses had to worry more about those guys taking off if they over committed. Not so much with Rattler.
Not the runner that Kyler and Jalen were? Thats the understatement of the century.

Well, I don't feel as confident as you being 3-0. While I was impressed with OUr defense and progress as of today, it's OUr offense that seems to have problems now if that's even believable.
I will make zero comparisons at this point but... the 2000 team didn't look like champions until they did. Also, it was unseasonably hot on the field today. Not that you were there playing, working, or anything.

Says the tail tucker every time.

Paraphrased thread, since you're not interested in realization and apologies...

Medic defended the team performance.

Pay for Booty wrote (paraphrased) - I don't know how you can be encouraged.

Me ( Junior Cumquat paraphrased) - I get both angles and can argue either way, but I like to stay positive.

Loose Well Hole - "what did you not understand about my post?"

Knowing I'm stupid and loose lipped, I apologized assuming I'm in the wrong.

Then I read it all back, and I was totally brain dead trying to understand how I was misinterpreted. I still don't get it.

Does that help you understand the "weird posts" Oklahoma?
It's weird that anyone here would be hand wringing over 3-0 at this point after last season's early season performances had OU at 1-2. Maybe WOODY can reconcile that for us.

I will make zero comparisons at this point but... the 2000 team didn't look like champions until they did. Also, it was unseasonably hot on the field today. Not that you were there playing, working, or anything.

Lol Medic come on, it was hot for Nebraska too.
Seems we always hear that excuse of it being hot. I live in the South and I am 54 but "it was hot" has never been an excuse of mine for shitty yardwork nor do I ever hear that in SEC Country as an excuse for poor play. They better get used to it as its Hot here most of the time even into December.
I luv ya Medic but that heat excuse has worn thin.

Seems we always hear that excuse of it being hot. I live in the South and I am 54 but "it was hot" has never been an excuse of mine for shitty yardwork nor do I ever hear that in SEC Country as an excuse for poor play. They better get used to it as its Hot here most of the time even into December.
Yes, it was hot for Nebraska too. Who won the game?

I know it will piss some off but I am gonna say it anyway, OU will always be what we have become now because fans are complacent. We beat an old rival that we think we should have blown out, go back and read the predictions if you don't believe me. We buy the damn hype every single year, we are gonna do it this year, the defense is better this year, we have the talent this year, we are loaded this year blah blah blah.
I don't buy the bs anymore. SHOW ME!
I can say this without a doubt. If we don't get our shit together and soon the SEC is gonna eat our lunch and those are the teams we SHOULD beat and I hate as much as anyone to say that.
These Coaches need to up their game if we will ever be successful in the SEC and right now sadly I have my doubts any of them are up to the challenge.

I know it will piss some off but I am gonna say it anyway, OU will always be what we have become now because fans are complacent. We beat an old rival that we think we should have blown out, go back and read the predictions if you don't believe me. We buy the damn hype every single year, we are gonna do it this year, the defense is better this year, we have the talent this year, we are loaded this year blah blah blah.
I can say this without a doubt. If we don't get our shit together and soon the SEC is gonna eat our lunch and those are the teams we SHOULD beat and I hate as much as anyone to say that.
These Coaches need to up their game if we will ever be successful in the SEC and right now sadly I have my doubts any of them are up to the challenge.
Sure, but 3-0. Last time I checked, an undeated championship season happens one game at a time.

Reactions: runningback43
Yes, it was hot for Nebraska too. Who won the game?

Thats why we are where we are. Complacency. We barely beat a bad team, an unranked team but hey its a moral victory. Its why its been 21 yrs since we won a title but hey if you feel like we are where we need to be I wish I had your optimism.

Ok, hope they prove me wrong but I have been saying that since 2000. So.....
3-0. The next step is 4-0. OU was 1-2 at this point last season. Did you watch OU's bowl game?

Nebraska isn't what their first game was. Martinez is like Tom Brady's age and will have a heck of a year.

Did I mention the defense held Nebraska to 16 points on a day that the O struggled? Like lowest points since LR has been the head coach? Defense maybe contributed a lot to the win? When was the last time we've seen that? Houston beat OU 33-23 in 2016....

And look at what a lower tier SEC team "Ole Miss" did to a team we struggled with and almost lost to, Tulane. It was hot that day for us too.
All I am saying is Ole Miss, Arkie and a few other SEC teams that many OU fans consider bottom feeders are better than we think they are, we are not ready for it by a long shot.
And I thought the lowest point total for Riley was the 23 points on offense not the 16 points we held them to? We held cream puff U to 0 last week?

And I thought the lowest point total for Riley was the 23 points on offense not the 16 points we held them to? We held cream puff U to 0 last week?
You are correct. I was pretty clear that I thought the offense struggled in my post. Point me to a game vs a Power 5 opponent (or any opponent) where OU has scored only 23 points and won the game since Riley became head coach.

You are correct. I was pretty clear that I thought the offense struggled in my post. Point me to a game vs a Power 5 opponent (or any opponent) where OU has scored only 23 points and won the game since Riley became head coach.

Did I mention the defense held Nebraska to 16 points on a day that the O struggled? Like lowest points since LR has been the head coach?

Not worried about OU only scoring 23 to win as the defense has been so bad for so long we have had to outscore too many to win.
We have been lucky not good to win 2 games this season and that concerns me as it should everyone, we have yet to enter Conference Play where we all know we lose one or 2 we shouldn't have. Anyway you mentioned the D only allowing 16 as some sort of milestone but it was the O that laid the egg. This O has only produced one good half this season vs Tulane. Thats not something to hang a hat on for tje number 3 team in the Country.

At the end of the day we all want the same thing, for the Sooners to be good, live up to the hype every season and win a title. Its been a long time and it won't get any easier when we go to the SEC so getting this Program headed in the right direction that so many have been wanting for so long is more important than ever. Complacency has no home where we are going. If it stays the same we won't ever sniff a title of any kind ever again. That is the sad truth and I won't sugarcoat my feelings for fans that are complacent. You know me better than that and I used to be complacent or drunk on the kool aid every year too but I took off the Rose Colored Glasses. We aren't the Program we think we are or used to be. 2000 was an anomally. We had lightning in the bottle. Stoops inherited some talent and did good with it, since then its been all smoke and mirrors. CF has changed a lot since then and even since Riley took over its changed. Look at how many teams in the SEC are pass happy now, doing it better than we used to I would add.

Last edited:
Seems we always hear that excuse of it being hot. I live in the South and I am 54 but "it was hot" has never been an excuse of mine for shitty yard work nor do I ever hear that in SEC Country as an excuse for poor play. They better get used to it as its Hot here most of the time even into December.
Might be a good idea if early season games in the south were night games, but since it's more of a money issue for the networks, that scenario won't ever happen.
And in fairness to Medic, heat and humidity are dangerous additions to an already violent sport. That's a fact, not an excuse.

Might be a good idea if early season games in the south were night games, but since it's more of a money issue for the networks, that scenario won't ever happen.
And in fairness to Medic, heat and humidity are dangerous additions to an already violent sport. That's a fact, not an excuse.
That’s been the M.O. at LSU since the invention of stadium lights. Games starting prior to 6:00 are rare in Baton Rouge, unless it’s the featured game on CBS. Plus, the bars/restaurants around campus get clobbered for games with early starts.

That’s been the M.O. at LSU since the invention of stadium lights. Games starting prior to 6:00 are rare in Baton Rouge, unless it’s the featured game on CBS. Plus, the bars/restaurants around campus get clobbered for games with early starts.
Gotta have night baseball on weekends and holidays instead of a 1 pm local time start.
Gotta have morning/early afternoon football in August and September in the south.
Where has logic failed ?

Let's face it, there's absolutely no reason to believe we're a top five, let alone a NC contender, at this point. It's great that we're 3-0 and good teams find ways to win. That said, if we don't step it up (and quickly) we could easily lose at least four conference games. WVU, ISU, KSU, Texas, Baylor and maybe even Okie State are losable given our lackluster play. All of those teams could make their seasons by beating us. Well, maybe not KSU because they're sort of used to it by now.

Again, happy that we're undefeated but I can think of several other teams that are simply playing better than we are right now.

Last edited:
Let's face it, there's absolutely no reason to believe we're a top five, let alone a NC contender, at this point. It's great that we're 3-0 and good teams find ways to win. That said, if we don't step it up (and quickly) we could easily lose at least four conference games. WVU, ISU, KSU, Texas, Baylor and maybe even Okie State are losable given our lackluster play. All of those teams could make their seasons by beating us. Well, maybe not KSU because they're sort of used to it by now.

Again, happy that we're undefeated but I can think of several other teams that are simply playing better than we are right now.
Very good post as was 67s. At this point in the season from what we have witnessed Bama, UGA and probably Oregon would kill OU. Of the overall top 10 teams I wonder how confident our fanbase would be in winning those games? If we are being honest I am not sure OU would come out with a victory over any of the current top 10.

until I see OU put together 4 quality quarters against a good team this year I am not buying they are a NC contender or even a top 10 team

It's weird that anyone here would be hand wringing over 3-0 at this point after last season's early season performances had OU at 1-2. Maybe WOODY can reconcile that for us.
Last year people weren't expecting us to win a NC. I think the expectations from fans, coaches, and the media got our hopes up that we would finally have that break through season. Now we are starting to wonder

What really is frustrating is we are entering conference play without a clear improvement after 3 games. Rattler’s head not in game...OL very questionable, and RB/TE usage at alarming low levels. Defense not awful, but needs to show consistency. We can never stitch together great offense and defense plans on field. Rattler has problems...

God dam man, I guess I posted at the wrong time to the wrong person. My post was most certainly not intended to incite anger with any sooner fan. I wasn't trying to rain on yer parade either brother. I'm as happy as the next guy with the win. My opinion was also echoed by many a soonerfan poster after I was vilified by you and jcon. I'll also add that I restore historic homes here in San Antonio. Dilapidated homes with no electricity, I most definitely know what heat is. BOOMER!

Reactions: OUSOONER67
What really is frustrating is we are entering conference play without a clear improvement after 3 games. Rattler’s head not in game...OL very questionable, and RB/TE usage at alarming low levels. Defense not awful, but needs to show consistency. We can never stitch together great offense and defense plans on field. Rattler has problems...
Well stated, KC.
OU gets lots of media love in preseason forecasting but always fall short.
Losing Stevenson and his great presence is a huge blow to the offense and DE Ronnie Perkins leaving hurts, plus a two man running back corps will take its toll as the season goes on. This team is not nearly as good as the team of the last 5 games in 2020.

God dam man, I guess I posted at the wrong time to the wrong person. My post was most certainly not intended to incite anger with any sooner fan. I wasn't trying to rain on yer parade either brother. I'm as happy as the next guy with the win. My opinion was also echoed by many a soonerfan poster after I was vilified by you and jcon. I'll also add that I restore historic homes here in San Antonio. Dilapidated homes with no electricity, I most definitely know what heat is. BOOMER!

Me either just gave my opinion and let off some steam. Didn't try to ruffle any feathers.
Medic is right, wr are 3-0 and maybe Riley can get the O going moving forward as he said in his presser they have a long ways to go. Until then we just have to suck it up and enjoy some football. Not much else we can do. But man is it frustrating! 😁

Me either just gave my opinion and let off some steam. Didn't try to ruffle any feathers.
Medic is right, wr are 3-0 and maybe Riley can get the O going moving forward as he said in his presser they have a long ways to go. Until then we just have to suck it up and enjoy some football. Not much else we can do. But man is it frustrating! 😁
It's all good. Stiff drinks, lube, arby's and heat can really stir some fellas up. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: OUSOONER67

Gentlemen, there were no feathers ruffled on my end. I think 3-0 is a significant improvement over last year, especially with how the defense performed vs Nebraska. It's just my opinion. Not trying to stir shit up.

Gentlemen, there were no feathers ruffled on my end. I think 3-0 is a significant improvement over last year, especially with how the defense performed vs Nebraska. It's just my opinion. Not trying to stir shit up.
Appreciate that, it was good to see "sooner magic" suddenly come alive yesterday with that defense. It's been awhile. 👍

I disagree with the heat and humidity issue; it has always been around and both teams have to deal with it. Further these teams are football factories and more prepared than ever to deal with hot weather.
I do not believe 3-0 is an improvement over last year besides the obvious record. This team returned 75% of their starters, had a true off-season together, and mild opponents. Many of the same player and coaching issues plague this team. Where is the significant improvement? On offense? On defense? I guess maybe special teams? The coaching and game planning?

Getting through the first 3 games undefeated (with this schedule) is not an accomplishment; it should be a given...and have been done so more impressively. This team could regroup and turn it around, I can see that, but my confidence in LR is diminishing. His blind defense of his offense and knit picking of the defense speaks volumes to me. This is his 5th year, another Big 12 Championship and a quick exit in the playoffs does not work for me. Yes I am one of those.

Reactions: 8085sooner
I disagree with the heat and humidity issue; it has always been around and both teams have to deal with it. Further these teams are football factories and more prepared than ever to deal with hot weather.

I do not believe 3-0 is an improvement over last year besides the obvious record. This team returned 75% of their starters, had a true off-season together, and mild opponents. Many of the same player and coaching issues plague this team. Where is the significant improvement? On offense? On defense? I guess maybe special teams? The coaching and game planning?

Getting through the first 3 games undefeated (with this schedule) is not an accomplishment; it should be a given...and have been done so more impressively. This team could regroup and turn it around, I can see that, but my confidence in LR is diminishing. His blind defense of his offense and knit picking of the defense speaks volumes to me. This is his 5th year, another Big 12 Championship and a quick exit in the playoffs does not work for me. Yes I am one of those.
Ok.

I'll try to avoid making this too political but consider the state of media in general. Consider the radio stations minus maybe one guy, who only pump the local narrative. We are being conditioned to go through the motions and not rock the boat. The reporters are definitely in that mode. If we automatically accept the narrative we are "sheeple" and if we approach it with skepticism we are "tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorists".

I hate it and the only method of reconciliation, just like you said, is the eye test.

Last edited:
Biggest change I see in the offense, is the lack of TE/HB plays. The great offense of past have TE/HB that make Big plays at crucial times. I haven't seen the TE/HB targeted much at all this season. Get a TE/HB with 3-5 catches and 25-60 yards receiving and I'll show you a good offense. 3-6 catches and 35-75 yards and I'll show you an unstoppable offense.

I was on the field an hour before the game at 10 a.m. and it was very hot and not much breeze. I felt sorry for the fans on the east side. Direct sun the entire game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT