ADVERTISEMENT

OU vs Baylor Game Thread

They ran it 40+ times though.

The defense got two TOs. Turned them over on downs once. Forced one punt and three FG attempts. Again we held them to seven points in the first half. TX, in contrast, scored 28 in Q1 against us (that was bad defense).

We gave up 27 points.

Our offense came in averaging 43 PPG. Baylor shut us down. Specifically, they shut Williams down. Here's his stat line:

10/19 146 0 TD 2 Int

10 rushes for 17 yards (1.7) average.

CW had great pass protection today, but he looked tentative both throwing and running the ball. Maybe he got hurt when the guy stepped on his hand, and maybe Baylor's secondary is all world, I don't know. But it was easily his worst game. For the first time, he looked like a Freshman today.

And we managed 28 carries for 78 yds on the ground.
Half the carries they had and nowhere close to half their yardage.

You can go outside every day and predict rain. Eventually you'll be proven right. That doesn't make you a meteorologist. This team made it to 9-0 (something the last two teams on the schedule didn't do), and is well capable of beating ISU and OSU (twice), if they play as well as they're capable of playing. But to write off a game two weeks before it's played is not only idiotic, but terribly spineless and wishy-washy. I hope the players don't share your mentality, because that will DEFINITELY mean losses to ISU, OSU and the bowl opponent.
Hiding behind an assumed name on a message board and trashing a complete stranger by saying things you would never say to him in person is a bit "spineless".

No the coaching was that bad.

You understand, I'm sure, that we've won six straight conference championships, right? And we lost the CFB playoff games because of the defense, not the offense. Maybe, maybe LR called a bad game today. Had a bad game plan. Today. Maybe. Happens to everybody.

But I really don't get all the hate he takes on this board. He's been a great coach for us, and he didn't become a bad coach overnight.

And I still believe in Grinch. The defense fought its @ss off today. I don't care what anybody says. Give him more time. He'll get us there. I'm confident of that.

You understand, I'm sure, that we've won six straight conference championships, right? And we lost the CFB playoff games because of the defense, not the offense. Maybe, maybe LR called a bad game today. Had a bad game plan. Today. Maybe. Happens to everybody.

But I really don't get all the hate he takes on this board. He's been a great coach for us, and he didn't become a bad coach overnight.

And I still believe in Grinch. The defense fought its @ss off today. I don't care what anybody says. Give him more time. He'll get us there. I'm confident of that.
Another thing to remember is how many freshmen are playing on defense and even with the mistakes I see some promise.
I'm thinking now that the offensive line needs to improve, somehow, someway. Baylor dominated the OL which really rattled OU's two quarterbacks.

Reactions: Crimson_Warrior
And we managed 28 carries for 78 yds on the ground.
Half the carries they had and nowhere close to half their yardage.

Our defense kept us in this game. Of that, I'm sure. It was 10-7 at the end of the 3rd Q.

Most of their rushing yards came in the 2nd half. They stayed committed to run, and broke some long ones.

Our defense tired in the end. Baylor ran 40+ times. Ran 68 plays to our 53, and dominated TOP 35:19 to 24:41.

I agree with you the defense played much better today and was not the issue. My concerns are the team appeared to come out flat for the biggest game of the year to this point. The offense was a disaster. Our all American kicker was there in body form only. Everybody seemed to be waiting for the win just to happen because it is November, it was Baylor, etc.

No one pushed their chips in, applied pressure, went for kill shots. All of this after two weeks off and the team more healthy than it had been since the 2nd game of the year.
Another thing to remember is how many freshmen are playing on defense and even with the mistakes I see some promise.
I'm thinking now that the offensive line needs to improve, somehow, someway. Baylor dominated the OL which really rattled OU's two quarterbacks.
I agree as it relates to run defense. The qbs had plenty of time I thought to pass the ball. Pick up the pace get the ball out quick and let these weapons go to work.

Reactions: iasooner2000
SIL, being concerned about playing an opponent that seems to have all cylinders clicking isn't about having a "we're going to lose mentality".
Maybe you should follow talk football instead of ankle biting a lifelong OU fan who just wants to talk football. I haven't stated anything that was not true or that wasn't shared by most posters here.
Why the hostile preoccupation over an opinion that may not parallel yours ?
Have you looked at the schedules of ISU (down 31-14 to TTU at half as I type this) and OSU? They have just as much reason, in fact moreso, to be "concerned" about OU as vice versa. Yeah, OSU had a great road game against WVU last week, but otherwise their schedule reflects a team that has struggled to get to 8-1. I definitely don't expect OU to do to OSU what it did to TTU or TCU, but I certainly don't expect a repeat of today's performance, either. Perhaps we just have different personality types. You seem like the type who's always "on the ropes." I'm the type who's always swinging. Just ask our friend from Iowa.

My prediction. OU beats ISU by two possessions. OU pulls off a squeaker in Stillwater a la 2013. Not going to predict the CCG until I have an opponent.

I agree with you the defense played much better today and was not the issue. My concerns are the team appeared to come out flat for the biggest game of the year to this point. The offense was a disaster. Our all American kicker was there in body form only. Everybody seemed to be waiting for the win just to happen because it is November, it was Baylor, etc.

No one pushed their chips in, applied pressure, went for kill shots. All of this after two weeks off and the team more healthy than it had been since the 2nd game of the year.

I agree as it relates to run defense. The qbs had plenty of time I thought to pass the ball. Pick up the pace get the ball out quick and let these weapons go to work.

I thought we got decent pressure on their QB, although he did a good job of getting rid of the ball. He only had 110 yards or so passing.

But our offense was pretty much a disaster. You're right about that. The only good thing really was the pass-protection.

If we could see the "all 22" game footage, it would be easier to assign blame (amongst LR or CW). Just based on only watching the game once, I don't think LR is without blame, but I still think it's primarily on our True Freshman QB, who will eventually be a superstar/heisman trophy winner/national champion. I'll say 70/30 CW vs. LR for this loss.

Reactions: soonersoldier
I thought we got decent pressure on their QB, although he did a good job of getting rid of the ball. He only had 110 yards or so passing.

But our offense was pretty much a disaster. You're right about that. The only good thing really was the pass-protection.

If we could see the "all 22" game footage, it would be easier to assign blame (amongst LR or CW). Just based on only watching the game once, I don't think LR is without blame, but I still think it's primarily on our True Freshman QB, who will eventually be a superstar/heisman trophy winner/national champion. I'll say 70/30 CW vs. LR for this loss.
I agree CW was not seeing things well and was going against one of the most respected defensive minds in college football. Which is why I was screaming for quick pass plays and up tempo movement. This could have helped a young QB settle down and slow down the game. Also could have worked as an extension of the running game.

Our mediocrity finally caught up with us today. We couldn't keep playing like we have been and continue to win against a good team on the road. I wouldn't be surprised to see us drop another one.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
That may well be the case, but I have never seen Sooner fans take on a "we're gonna lose" mentality before the game is even played. Maybe you an CT should take a break from OU football and share some avocado toast while watching soccer.
Just realistically speaking is all

Our defense kept us in this game. Of that, I'm sure. It was 10-7 at the end of the 3rd Q.

Most of their rushing yards came in the 2nd half. They stayed committed to run, and broke some long ones.

Our defense tired in the end. Baylor ran 40+ times. Ran 68 plays to our 53, and dominated TOP 35:19 to 24:41.

Doesn't matter how or when they got them they still got them. Defense was gassed because like most other games this season we cannot seem to get other teams off the field. If they are tired and wanna hit the sideline to rest then get them off the field when its 3rd and long.
Plenty of blame for this loss, defense included.

Some on this board would do exactly that.
Hell no not an option. They show up...I show up. Believe it or not OU still has a chance to make the CFP. I know most will laugh and/or point to how they will be embarrassed...but what is the option? Give up, root against your team, expect failure? Just get to the dance and take that glass slipper and kick some playoff ass.

Well we have a "Quality Loss" now so maybe we move up in the Poll?

mike-peps.gif

Hell no not an option. They show up...I show up. Believe it or not OU still has a chance to make the CFP. I know most will laugh and/or point to how they will be embarrassed...but what is the option? Give up, root against your team, expect failure? Just get to the dance and take that glass slipper and kick some playoff ass.
Iowa State just lost to Texas Tech. A Texas tech with a lame duck coach I might add. Should OU win next week, be ready for the usual suspects suspect to show up with the "this win isn't as great as you think it is" shtick.

Iowa State just lost to Texas Tech. A Texas tech with a lame duck coach I might add. Should OU win next week, be ready for the usual suspects suspect to show up with the "this win isn't as great as you think it is" shtick.

Need to win next week no matter who it is or what their record is. I kept thinking all season this or that would be a wake up call but up till now nothing has lit a fire so to speak. Maybe the loss today will do it, if it doesn't nothing will. Still a lot on the line.

Doesn't matter how or when they got them they still got them. Defense was gassed because like most other games this season we cannot seem to get other teams off the field. If they are tired and wanna hit the sideline to rest then get them off the field when its 3rd and long.
Plenty of blame for this loss, defense included.

You're right. On that last drive where they got to 24, OU's defense was completely gassed. They kept bashing away at us, and it paid off in the end.

But I watched the whole game again, and really, it was a bad overall performance. Penalties. Dropped passes, missed kicks, poor throws, some missed tackles (Pat Fields, I'm looking at you), and some weird play calls.

Plus, Baylor has a pretty good squad. Tough. Physical.

We thoroughly deserved to lose that game, and I'm not going to put it all on Williams.

Guys, it doesn't matter what defense we line up in or what plays we call if we continually get manhandled in the trenches. That's on Wylie, and ultimately on LR for keeping him around. Bill Bedenbaugh was a genius when Schmitty was around. Without him, he's just another overweight offensive line coach.

One other thing that we're missing is a defensive leader who plays and leads like he got a firecracker enema before the game.

Lastly, LR has been successful when he's had superior talent on his side and a middling coach across the field from him. He's not too good in a "fair" fight.

Lastly lastly, having near total recall doesn't make you a genius, but the media sure thinks it does.

Triple dog lastly, my blood pressure never rose today - I saw this one coming from a mile away.

Guys, it doesn't matter what defense we line up in or what plays we call if we continually get manhandled in the trenches. That's on Wylie, and ultimately on LR for keeping him around. Bill Bedenbaugh was a genius when Schmitty was around. Without him, he's just another overweight offensive line coach.

One other thing that we're missing is a defensive leader who plays and leads like he got a firecracker enema before the game.

Lastly, LR has been successful when he's had superior talent on his side and a middling coach across the field from him. He's not too good in a "fair" fight.

Lastly lastly, having near total recall doesn't make you a genius, but the media sure thinks it does.

Triple dog lastly, my blood pressure never rose today - I saw this one coming from a mile away.

Same here V, I told the Mrs today after the game that late last night I was thinking about this game and I had a feeling it was gonna be bad. Number one it was an 11am game, this team seems to hate them as much as I do. Number 2 we were at their house, number 3 Baylor just lost and were pissed and would not lose 2 in a row. Number 4 we have been flirting with disaster for most of the season and it will eventually bite you and it did today.

I know its easy to sit here and say I felt it coming last night but its true. Hope I don't feel that again the rest of the season.
Watched Riley's Post Game a few mins ago and had to turn it off a 1/4 of the way in.

I would take a victory over the pigs in the Cotton if they are eligible if we get that from a XII Championship.

We may start being in one the many Florida bowls the sec is tied to vs a b1g team (providing the current bowl tv deals remain the same)

Finally 67,
I almost posted the same “rise us a spot now for our loss now Committee” bit a few hours ago but it was too fresh at that point

Last edited:
I would take a victory over the pigs in the Cotton if they are eligible if we get that from a XII Championship.

We may start being in one the many Florida bowls the sec is tied to vs a b1g team (providing the current bowl tv deals remain the same
Cotton and Orange are the semis this year, so I'm guessing it will be the Shugger (in honor of sysquatchUp)

We may start being in one the many Florida bowls the sec is tied to vs a b1g team (providing the current bowl tv deals remain the same)

Finally 67,
I almost posted the same “rise us a spot now for our loss now Committee” bit a few hours ago but it was too fresh at that point

Careful what you wish for. 🤣

• Wow
Reactions: iasooner2000
The biggest issue I've seen the last 2 years. The games the offense doesn't get going, is when the TE/HB are not involved. Typically, the high scoring games, one TE/HB has 3-5 catches for 50-80 yards. The last few years, there are to many games they only get targeted, once or twice.

Riley!!!! Throw some dink and dunks, let your QB settle in. Plus it will open up the go routes. You have 2 WR that can make guys miss in a phone booth, Williams and Mims, let them catch a few, short routes and watch them pickup, 5 or more YAC.

The fact that this team went undefeated for so long is an anomaly. I remember the days when OU, as an underdog, was dangerous. This may be the fate of OU football. Looking at the a&m and ole miss game, middle of the road sec action is super fun to watch. OU being in the SEC will be way more exciting than what we’ve witnessed in the big 12. You can suck in the SEC and lose no love. Play well in the big games, and you’re legendary.

Same here V, I told the Mrs today after the game that late last night I was thinking about this game and I had a feeling it was gonna be bad. Number one it was an 11am game, this team seems to hate them as much as I do. Number 2 we were at their house, number 3 Baylor just lost and were pissed and would not lose 2 in a row. Number 4 we have been flirting with disaster for most of the season and it will eventually bite you and it did today.

I know its easy to sit here and say I felt it coming last night but its true. Hope I don't feel that again the rest of the season.
Watched Riley's Post Game a few mins ago and had to turn it off a 1/4 of the way in.
I had concerns, too.
This was mostly over the decline of the offensive line and the lack of depth at running back, even with Major's return to the roster.
Stevenson, McGowan and Henderson offered plenty last year and their talents have been greatly missed, even though OU clearly had no choice but to dismiss two of them.
Stogner is still a decent player, but he's not been the same since his leg injury two years ago. When healthy he was a franchise caliber TE.
Creed Humphrey now starts for the Chiefs and his absence on the OL really hurts.
Defensively, OU is getting better but it can't play the majority of a game. OU's defense played hard today, but I saw fatigue set in during the 4th quarter as Baylor's offense wore it down.
I have seen players become better players by enduring failures and then learning from them. Rattler and Williams come to mind as today's game was a big time lesson for both....and poor protection further added to their problems.
Riley has a lot on his plate now in turning this team around. I hope he can jump start this team with two games remaining and continue his recruiting momentum on a 2022 class that currently is ranked 9th with ten 4-star and a 5-star recruit among the 17 total commitments.
Finally, I hope the OSU game is an afternoon or evening start. 11 am starts have proven to be problematic for this team.

The fact that this team went undefeated for so long is an anomaly. I remember the days when OU, as an underdog, was dangerous. This may be the fate of OU football. Looking at the a&m and ole miss game, middle of the road sec action is super fun to watch. OU being in the SEC will be way more exciting than what we’ve witnessed in the big 12. You can suck in the SEC, and still lose no love. Win a big game, and you’re legendary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT