ADVERTISEMENT

OU vs Baylor Game Thread

The Baylor fan at Fox’s Big Noon Kickoff was right. Even Chip & Joanna Gaines can’t fix the hole in this defense. The defense sucked no matter the score. How many points should Baylor have scored with the way they moved the ball all day. Their run first QB is still running the misdirection down the field.

The defense has played hard and good enough to win.

The offense has been bad. Horrible play calling, horrible game plan, horrible feel for the game.

Riley has completely abandoned route running, quick down and out or down and in.
Bumble screens, back shoulder fade, 6 stop. All he wants is zone overloads and deep fifty fifty, or worse, call the same scheme, over and over, then tweak it, hoping for a defensive mistake. Not letting his guys out execute. WAY to long letting plays develop. When he ran a hurry up, he was great at it. Riley has abandoned fundamental football. He needs a OC and get out of his way.

Execute, execute, execute. Route running, route running, route running, timing timing timing

The numbers. Almost 300 yds rushing for Baylor.

FEGb4JVWUAIi_aU

Riley is Bob Stoops Jr. WiTHOUT the NC. Riley learned from his mentor that all you need to do is compete for the conference and then when you go to the big bowl game prempt the ensuing asskicking that's coming by saying "well these bowl games are really all about the kids having fun etc." Speed D is a joke and Cain wearing that Speed D Tshirt on the sideline is embarrassing. I truly believe Riley is relieved we won't make the playoff

And the fg at the end as an exclamation point to Riley. And Riley arguing on the field about the crowd rushing the field. I didn't see him yell like that all game at his team. $6 million dollar man needs to be a 2 million dollar a year OC

Riley is Bob Stoops Jr. WiTHOUT the NC. Riley learned from his mentor that all you need to do is compete for the conference and then when you go to the big bowl game prempt the ensuing asskicking that's coming by saying "well these bowl games are really all about the kids having fun etc." Speed D is a joke and Cain wearing that Speed D Tshirt on the sideline is embarrassing. I truly believe Riley is relieved we won't make the playoff

Speed defense was like the Sharks many years ago. Just play consistent and play SMART. The mistackle meter needle has broken off.

The Baylor fan at Fox’s Big Noon Kickoff was right. Even Chip & Joanna Gaines can’t fix the hole in this defense. The defense sucked no matter the score. How many points should Baylor have scored with the way they moved the ball all day. Their run first QB is still running the misdirection down the field.

The defense sucked? No.

Held them to to seven in the first half. Battled like warriors despite our offense stinking up the field for the most part.

Still fought hard in the 2nd half, but just wore down as Baylor stayed committed to the run.

No, the defense did not suck, and they did not lose this game.

And **** Baylor for kicking the FG with :03 left. I don't care what anybody says. That's poor sportsmanship.

Reactions: iasooner2000

I am relieved we won't make the CFP's.
OU is not ready. We weren't ready the last 2 times we made it and blowout losses in the playoffs is not a good look and is detrimental imo.
OU needs to keep recruiting and get better, right now we are a mess on both sides of the ball. I think I know now why Riley kept saying "we are close." I think he meant we are close to losing one of these games.
I am not pissed that we lost its the way we lose and the way we play that pisses me off.
The piss poor D was gashed for 296 Rushing Yards today.

Poor game plan. Period. Not a horrible defense showing. Just awful offense play calling. Can not tolerate bad coaching Riley. You had a bye week to prepare and we throw it all away. We may not even make the Big 12 thumb fight in Arlington.

Why bad play calling? Because we didn't commit to the run more? I guess maybe.

But did you see the time that our offensive line was giving CW? About 10 times he had all day to throw the ball, but couldn't find anybody. That's what I want to know about. Why didn't those plays work? Baylor secondary that good? Our WRs couldn't get separation? The routes sucked? What happened!?

Reactions: Soonerborn59

The offense has been bad. Horrible play calling, horrible game plan, horrible feel for the game.

Riley has completely abandoned route running, quick down and out or down and in.
Bumble screens, back shoulder fade, 6 stop. All he wants is zone overloads and deep fifty fifty, or worse, call the same scheme, over and over, then tweak it, hoping for a defensive mistake. Not letting his guys out execute. WAY to long letting plays develop. When he ran a hurry up, he was great at it. Riley has abandoned fundamental football. He needs a OC and get out of his way.

Execute, execute, execute. Route running, route running, route running, timing timing timing

Boom! You nailed it.

The defense sucked? No.

Held them to to seven in the first half. Battled like warriors despite our offense stinking up the field for the most part.

Still fought hard in the 2nd half, but just wore down as Baylor stayed committed to the run.

No, the defense did not suck, and they did not lose this game.

And **** Baylor for kicking the FG with :03 left. I don't care what anybody says. That's poor sportsmanship.

I guess I should say they sucked at stopping the run game all game. Every time Baylor had the ball they got a big run and folded with the misdirection quarterback keeper. Go put your Speed D t-shirt back on.

But did you see the time that our offensive line was giving CW? About 10 times he had all day to throw the ball, but couldn't find anybody. That's what I want to know about. Why didn't those plays work? Baylor secondary that good? Our WRs couldn't get separation? The routes sucked? What happened!?
This game was won and lost by coaches, not the players...which is unusual. The shine has worn off LR, and he looks lost without a 1.1 NFL draft QB. Pretty chicken sh!t of him to take his frustrations out on the official at the end of the game. Unless he hires either Gary Patterson -or- an offensive play caller his trajectory in Norman is on the way down.

No way. We scored 55 against TX. 52 against TCU, and 52 against Tech. Generally, the offensive scheme obviously works.

If you want to say that LR called a bad game today, maybe. I might buy that. Maybe we could have run it a little more, but maybe not.

I think CW had his worst game as a sooner. By a mile. The first int was bad. The 2nd was egregious. Looked like a true freshman today.

Bad day today, but they're still 9-1. I don't see any route to the CFP, but to say that a loss to OSU is a foregone conclusion is just flat out idiotic.

Their defense is much better than Baylor’s so….I hope I’m wrong, but OSU has been a much more complete team all year as much as it pains me to say it.

This game was won and lost by coaches, not the players...which is unusual. The shine has worn off LR, and he looks lost without a 1.1 NFL draft QB. Pretty chicken sh!t of him to take his frustrations out on the official at the end of the game. Unless he hires either Gary Patterson -or- an offensive play caller his trajectory in Norman is on the way down.

What did you think of Williams' performance today?

Watch the replay. Riley called long crossing routes, double, triple moves routes the deep go route, deep zone overloads. Zero bubbles, back shoulder, screens, 6 and sit, short down and out or in. Basic offensive football. He did the hitch and that's it. Let your QB get some easy completions. They played semi soft, TAKE ADVANTAGE......very simple. VERY! Has he not gone to ANY 7 on 7????? These are mostly Texas kids that grew up, running 7 on 7.

Oh the hitch doesn't work very well in the spread. The defense is already spread

What did you think of Williams' performance today?
It was below average but asking someone to make steak out bologna is difficult. As I said the coaches, more specifically LR, chicken choked this game. Williams had all day on routes that were too long and literally ran into a drop back Baylor zone. The ball was not coming out quick, no screens, no bubbles, no delayed releases from H-back. The routes LR called worked right into the Baylor scheme...the Baylor scheme that gave up 40 to Chandler Morris and TCU last week.

I am relieved we won't make the CFP's.
OU is not ready. We weren't ready the last 2 times we made it and blowout losses in the playoffs is not a good look and is detrimental imo.
OU needs to keep recruiting and get better, right now we are a mess on both sides of the ball. I think I know now why Riley kept saying "we are close." I think he meant we are close to losing one of these games.
I am not pissed that we lost its the way we lose and the way we play that pisses me off.
The piss poor D was gashed for 296 Rushing Yards today.

They ran it 40+ times though.

The defense got two TOs. Turned them over on downs once. Forced one punt and three FG attempts. Again we held them to seven points in the first half. TX, in contrast, scored 28 in Q1 against us (that was bad defense).

We gave up 27 points.

Our offense came in averaging 43 PPG. Baylor shut us down. Specifically, they shut Williams down. Here's his stat line:

10/19 146 0 TD 2 Int

10 rushes for 17 yards (1.7) average.

CW had great pass protection today, but he looked tentative both throwing and running the ball. Maybe he got hurt when the guy stepped on his hand, and maybe Baylor's secondary is all world, I don't know. But it was easily his worst game. For the first time, he looked like a Freshman today.

Reactions: Soonerborn59

No the coaching was that bad.

Bad day today, but they're still 9-1. I don't see any route to the CFP, but to say that a loss to OSU is a foregone conclusion is just flat out idiotic.
OSU is a better team and plays OU at home, so my concern is not idiotic.
OU's running game has declined, thanks to the OL's inability to run block. This makes our two quarterbacks look bad.
I could see this kind of defeat looming after the Kansas game, as most knowledgeable fans did. And now I sense more if OU can't turn things around.
What matters now is going 11-1 and playing in the conference title game and winning a bowl game.....business as usual. Right now, that scenario would exceed my expectations.

Their defense is much better than Baylor’s so….I hope I’m wrong, but OSU has been a much more complete team all year as much as it pains me to say it.
That may well be the case, but I have never seen Sooner fans take on a "we're gonna lose" mentality before the game is even played. Maybe you an CT should take a break from OU football and share some avocado toast while watching soccer.

• Haha
They ran it 40+ times though.

The defense got two TOs. Turned them over on downs once. Forced one punt and three FG attempts. Again we held them to seven points in the first half. TX, in contrast, scored 28 in Q1 against us (that was bad defense).

We gave up 27 points.

Our offense came in averaging 43 PPG. Baylor shut us down. Specifically, they shut Williams down. Here's his stat line:

10/19 146 0 TD 2 Int

10 rushes for 17 yards (1.7) average.

CW had great pass protection today, but he looked tentative both throwing and running the ball. Maybe he got hurt when the guy stepped on his hand, and maybe Baylor's secondary is all world, I don't know. But it was easily his worst game. For the first time, he looked like a Freshman today.
He looked like a freshman QB with no help from an affirmative genius head coach.

Arkansas in the cotton bowl?
I doubt we even get into a NY6 bowl. OU may get regulated all the way down to the Alamo Bowl. I love OU FB but the realist in me says they will be lucky to split the next 2 games. I think we are going to see OSU-BU in the B12CG and if OSU wins out they may just find themselves in the CFP.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
It was below average but asking someone to make steak out bologna is difficult. As I said the coaches, more specifically LR, chicken choked this game. Williams had all day on routes that were too long and literally ran into a drop back Baylor zone. The ball was not coming out quick, no screens, no bubbles, no delayed releases from H-back. The routes LR called worked right into the Baylor scheme...the Baylor scheme that gave up 40 to Chandler Morris and TCU last week.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but our offensive production has been really good the previous four games.

However, on the telecast, they did say the BU coach was LR's kryptonite.

It doesn't have to be LR was outcoached or CW had a bad game. I guess it could be both.

Reactions: soonersoldier
And the fg at the end as an exclamation point to Riley. And Riley arguing on the field about the crowd rushing the field. I didn't see him yell like that all game at his team. $6 million dollar man needs to be a 2 million dollar a year OC
At first I was telling my wife it was a classless move by Baylor HC Aranda but when asked he said it was for tiebreaker points. So I understand it now.

OSU is a better team and plays OU at home, so my concern is not idiotic.
OU's running game has declined, thanks to the OL's inability to run block. This makes our two quarterbacks look bad.
I could see this kind of defeat looming after the Kansas game, as most knowledgeable fans did. And now I sense more if OU can't turn things around.
What matters now is going 11-1 and playing in the conference title game and winning a bowl game.....business as usual. Right now, that scenario would exceed my expectations.
You can go outside every day and predict rain. Eventually you'll be proven right. That doesn't make you a meteorologist. This team made it to 9-0 (something the last two teams on the schedule didn't do), and is well capable of beating ISU and OSU (twice), if they play as well as they're capable of playing. But to write off a game two weeks before it's played is not only idiotic, but terribly spineless and wishy-washy. I hope the players don't share your mentality, because that will DEFINITELY mean losses to ISU, OSU and the bowl opponent.

That may well be the case, but I have never seen Sooner fans take on a "we're gonna lose" mentality before the game is even played. Maybe you an CT should take a break from OU football and share some avocado toast while watching soccer.
SIL, being concerned about playing an opponent that seems to have all cylinders clicking isn't about having a "we're going to lose mentality".
Maybe you should follow talk football instead of ankle biting a lifelong OU fan who just wants to talk football. I haven't stated anything that was not true or that wasn't shared by most posters here.
Why the hostile preoccupation over an opinion that may not parallel yours ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT