ADVERTISEMENT

OT Steve Kerr Golden St. head coach says it best about gun violence as a public health issue

While I maintain my view of assault weapons, I feel better screening and more severe penalties should be in place....severe by life in solitary confinement (no contact, no television, no radio, no books or magazines)...essentially being buried alive, but with food and water. That would exceed the fear of a death penalty. Make prison a lifelong living hell. How's that for a deterrent ?

If proof were truly incontrovertible, I'd be willing to go further and vote in favor of allowing daily torture to cap that off. Maybe I'm sick, but I don't understand the whole human rights idea once someone has violated others' human rights (living).

Agree.
As I said earlier, I would rather be a combatant than a casualty.
The government has too much control on our lives and our money. It should be only to provide defense from foreign invasion and maintaining the nation's infrastructure. Everything else it does it screws up.
While I maintain my view of assault weapons, I feel better screening and more severe penalties should be in place....severe by life in solitary confinement (no contact, no television, no radio, no books or magazines)...essentially being buried alive, but with food and water. That would exceed the fear of a death penalty. Make prison a lifelong living hell. How's that for a deterrent ?

Unfortunately the Liberals in this country would never go for that .They think criminals should be given multiple chances after proving that they are not able to handle being a decent member of society.How they think its ok to release a murderer after some light sentence is ok is beyond sane reasoning.The death penalty is not used enough in my opinion.I am 58 years old and can assure you we are not heading in the right direction.America has become soft in so many ways.

Reactions: Medic007
I have a gun sitting on my coffee table right now.I never used to do that but if you watch the news it will change your mind.

I hope you never have any child visitors to your home! hahaha

There's no amount of teaching that can prevent a child from playing with a gun until they are old enough to really understand the consequences.

Reactions: iasooner1
I always wondered about seat belt laws and how they were deemed Constitutional until I asked a lawmaker that was a guest speaker in one of my classes as a student. He had a good, succinct answer that I believe is probably the true reason which is not about saving your life.

It's about saving others lives. If you're in a vehicular emergency (skid, tire blow out, auto wreck, etc), the thought is that you will have a better chance at maintaining control if you're wearing a seatbelt rather than being immediately tossed into the passenger seat with a total loss of control.
What's weird about anyone using vehicles in a gun conversation is that with all of the requirements to be able to own and drive a vehicle legally, those who can legally drive can choose to drive their vehicle into a crowd of people. And people who don't own a vehicle and have no license can find a way to do the same. It's just not a compelling argument.

So I guess we just put up with our monthly mass murder event? At a time in the not too distant past, the annual carnage on American highways was iincredible so what did we do...we instituted seat belt laws. We installed numerous safety systems in our cars and trucks. There are similar laws and firearm systems that if implemented, would save a lot of lives. Mandatory national laws t regarding licensing, background checks, safety mechanisms, training and certification are all needed, not a hodgepodge of state laws that simply leave too many loopholes.

Let's see. A crazed fool that has been on the run for 5 years after escaping a mental ward is allowed to buy 4 guns, one each for the past 4 years because a part of our Government failed to report his past. The said crazed fool then goes on a shooting spree killing 26 people. And because of these inactions & actions, I'm now not allowed to buy and/or own a certain model of a gun?

What else you got? That doesn't work for me and my 2nd amendment right.

Last edited:
I hope you never have any child visitors to your home! hahaha

There's no amount of teaching that can prevent a child from playing with a gun until they are old enough to really understand the consequences.

I am a responsible gun owner and there are no children that come to my house that have ever seen any of my guns.I have been around guns my whole life and my dad instilled in me safety first.I am glad I learned to hunt and fish.It teaches you much more than just that.

The culture in America is such that some people think that killing for a gang cause is ok.America is a melting pot, with that comes circumstances that other countries don't deal with.You cannot always compare country to country because America is so different than most countries.We have elements in this country that for whatever reason are very violent.When you have people recording songs about cop killing and that segment thinks its ok you have problems.I have a gun sitting on my coffee table right now.I never used to do that but if you watch the news it will change your mind.

Profound. Switzerland has very high private gun ownership, but I think only two multiple shooting deaths in the past 20 years or so. Most of their gunshot deaths are suicide.

So the question becomes; What is different between Switzerland and the USA? Both have lots of guns per capita, but their murder by firearm rate is less than 1/3 of what it is in the USA.

Demographics? Education? Mental Health? Ecomomics? All of the above?

Switzerland...comparing the U.S. to a small highly educated historically neutral country to the historically bellicose, diverse, America we live in is hard to justify. As far as laws that effect us all...If you are an avid gun owner, more power to you. It's likely you are well trained and educated in the handling of fire arms but why do u need a military style automatic weapon to protect yourself, shoot tin cans, or Bambi.

European countries are very different in so many ways.We have a culture in this country from Hollywood to the inner city problems that encourage that you cannot be disrespected without retaliation.An old preacher told me the story that when America ceases to be good it will cease to be great.It seems we are there.

Here's what some think as the 2nd Amendment really meant...

A well-regulated militia (they meant Population) being necessary to the security of a free state, (they meant a Police State) the right of the people (they meant Government) to keep (they meant register) and bear (they meant ban) arms shall not be infringed.

Switzerland...comparing the U.S. to a small highly educated historically neutral country to the historically bellicose, diverse, America we live in is hard to justify. As far as laws that effect us all...If you are an avid gun owner, more power to you. It's likely you are well trained and educated in the handling of fire arms but why do u need a military style automatic weapon to protect yourself, shoot tin cans, or Bambi.

You clearly do not understand and/or comprehend the purpose of the 2nd amendment. Until you do, you will always be conflicted.

Here's what some think as the 2nd Amendment really meant...

A well-regulated militia (they meant Population) being necessary to the security of a free state, (they meant a Police State) the right of the people (they meant Government) to keep (they meant register) and bear (they meant ban) arms shall not be infringed.

Who except for you has talked about the 2nd amendment in this thread?

We are talking about BANNING MILITARY ASSAULT WEAPONS (WHICH THE MAJORITY OF AMERICANS AND ALL POLICEMEN WANT) not banning your guns.

Last edited:
whynotasooner...I am not sure what your background or level of schooling is but the likelihood that you can educate me on much of anything is slim and none. If you want to take a document written over 200 years ago and interpret it literally in 2017 knock yourself out. I'm sure you can find certain biblical passages that have literal application to the 21st century as well.

You both are asking to disarm our citizens under the guise of stopping “gun violence” or “mass shootings”. That in of itself will embark on the biggest killing spree since the Civil War. In fact they may initiate an actual Civil War by their own actions. The Constitution is still fully in force regardless of how you try to ignore or obviate it's meaning.

Reactions: iasooner1
whynotasooner...I am not sure what your background or level of schooling is but the likelihood that you can educate me on much of anything is slim and none. If you want to take a document written over 200 years ago and interpret it literally in 2017 knock yourself out. I'm sure you can find certain biblical passages that have literal application to the 21st century as well.

You're the one asking the questions. Questions that make you appear less educated than you now want to state.

Reactions: BillyRay
THEY AREN'T MILITARY ASSAULT WEAPONS. If you'd start from a position of fact, you might be taken a little more seriously.
Bull, quit trying to argue with idiots. Massacres will continue and the no gun regulation morons will continue to tell us bullshit like we need to better arm ourselves so that we can combat the bad guys. The question is will these same dim wits actually support increased funding for diagnosis and treatment of mental health issues. The dim wits I reference include the one that currently resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Washington DC.

Reactions: bullmarket
Who except for you has talked about the 2nd amendment in this thread?

We are talking about BANNING MILITARY ASSAULT WEAPONS (WHICH THE MAJORITY OF AMERICANS AND ALL POLICEMEN WANT) not banning your guns.

Quite a few of us. This what you don't want to see, read, or hear... the 2nd amendment. It's alive. It's real. And it isn't going away. Deal w/ it.

Oh... and an AR15 is NOT an assault military weapon. Do some research. Learn before you post.

Bull, quit trying to argue with idiots. Massacres will continue and the no gun regulation morons will continue to tell us bullshit like we need to better arm ourselves so that we can combat the bad guys. The question is will these same dim wits actually support increased funding for diagnosis and treatment of mental health issues. The dim wits I reference include the one that currently resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Washington DC.

Right out of the playbook.... When all else fails... call'em names and then go political. If that doesn't work... and as a last resort.... start screaming.

Idiots and morons?? Well tell me if assault weapons are banned, what will you be screaming about when mass shootings start occuring with handguns like VTech and Lubys?? Or what are you gonna do when people find other methods to kill large numbers of people?? You really think banning things is a way to prevent evil people from doing evil things?? It's quite comical for you to start name calling when you apparently think you can control evil minded people through legislation. Just pure comedy.

Now if you want to talk about supporting funding for better diagnosis and treatment of mental issues, then lets go for it. Because THAT is the real issue here. NOT military style weapons that have been available to the public for decades and decades.

Right out of the playbook.... When all else fails... call'em names and then go political. If that doesn't work... and as a last resort.... start screaming.
You beat me to it. Why do they get so triggered? It's like they think acting hysterical gets their point across better. Junior high school girls do that stuff.

You made my point and likely didn't even realize it. It's not the guns, Sherlock, it's the people. And the culture.

Let's see a link that states ALL POLICEMEN want assault weapons banned. You literally are saying there is 100% consensus among the entire law enforcement community in this entire country of over 300 million that assault weapons should be banned. If you want people to take you seriously, then stop making things up.

So, is a Ruger Ranch Rifle ok? Asking for a friend...
Lol man I was just thinking the same thing with the Ruger Mini-14. It's never been used by the military, so what happens if it's used in the next shooting?? Uh oh...there goes the idea that "we are talking about banning military assault weapons"!!! LOL :D:D

Americans in the majority want new gun laws. The NRA throws money at GOP senators & representatives who refuse to vote to ban Semi automatic killing machines to keep the status quo of more and more mass killings.

And no its not just mental illness that cause these mass murders, Its mental illness and the availability fot them to acquire these semi automatic and automatic weapons and high capacity magazines and bump stocks sp,

LINK...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/p...ricter-enforcement/ar-BBEMRZt?ocid=spartandhp

Last edited:
BTW, the whole "assault rifle" thing is a misnomer propagated by the globalists who don't want us to own anything more dangerous than a peacock feather.

I have knives. They aren't "assault knives", though they could be used for assault. I have several vehicles, too, that are easily converted to assault vehicles. The terrorist, whose threat that was thwarted in the middle east today was armed with a machete and a long knife.

Let's ban assault fertilizer, too.

Americans in the majority want new gun laws. The NRA throws money at GOP senators & representatives who refuse to vote to ban Semi automatic killing machines to keep the status quo of more and more mass killings.

LINK...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/p...ricter-enforcement/ar-BBEMRZt?ocid=spartandhp

Gawd... I'm glad my money is working!

Bull, did you know that there was TWO of those what you call Semi Automatic killing machines used last Sunday morning? Two of them! One by the killer and one by a NRA member & trainer that stopped the killer?

Gawd... I'm glad my money is working!

Bull, did you know that there was TWO of those what you call Semi Automatic killing machines used last Sunday morning? Two of them! One by the killer and one by a NRA member & trainer that stopped the killer?

HUH?????? I do not understand what in the hell you are talking about????????

Sean perhaps it would serve if you put up a pic of an AR (civilian semi-auto) vs what the PD & military (and bad guys) use that's its supposed equivalence...
Some people in this thread are already triggered. Pictures might send them over the edge. So here's a brief lesson on the origins and history of actual military assault rifles.

https://www.britannica.com/technology/assault-rifle

This does not surprise me one bit. No offense Bull, but your posts in this thread do not promote your incredible knowledge on this subject. You just have a simple minded idea of banning certain weapons and convincing yourself that it will solve everything. Or it's possible that your stance is nothing more than an emotional response to tragic events and promotes a mentality of "we have to do something" type of mentality. This is a MUCH more complex issue that simply banning certain guns that look scary and intimidating.

Bull the killer used an AR15 semi automatic rifle. A man that lived a block away ran down to the church to 'fire' back at the killer. He used the same type of rifle, an AR15 semi automatic rifle. He engaged him, exchanged fire, the killer was shot and he sped off in his truck. You did not know this?

LATEST LARGE NATIONAL POLL TAKEN JUST 4 DAYS AGO OF WHICH THE MAJORITY OF REPUBLICAN AND DEMOCRATS WANT SOME GUN CONTROL POLICY

1. PREVENTING THE MENTALLY ILL FROM PURCHASING GUNS
GOP 89% approve DEMS 89% approve

2. BANNING GUN PURCHASES BY PEOPLE ON NO FLY OR WATCH LISTS
GOP 82% approve DEMS 85% approve

3. HAVING BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR PRIVATE SALES AND AT GUN SHOWS
GOP 77% approve DEMS 90% approve

4. CREATE FEDERAL DATA BASE TO TRACK GUN SALES
GOP 56% approve DEMS 84% approve

5. BANNING ASSAULT STYLE WEAPONS
GOP 54% approve DEMS 80% approve

THE MAJORITY OF AMERICANS BOTH GOP AND DEMS WANT APPROVAL OF GUN CONTROL POLICIES ABOVE BUT NRA DOES NOT WANT THE WISHES OF THE MAJORITY OF AMERICANS TO BE PUT INTO LAW.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT