ADVERTISEMENT

OT....Removal of Confederate statues and monuments

Yes... any known public figure or politician that has ties to any hate group such as KKK, Antifa, & BLM and the many others should be removed immediately. Byrd should go immediately.

Eventually, some Political name(s) from the Left will surface... I can't wait. Someone is digging it up now, it's just a matter of time.

Reactions: iasooner1
Gettysburg National Military Park has issued a statement that all monuments will remain.
That's good.
I doubt if Gettysburg's tourist industry could survive the financial backlash if it decided to participate in this purging of history nonsense.
As someone who donates to that Gettysburg's upkeep and restoration, I would have felt extremely betrayed and deeply saddened had the park been mutilated by the ignorance and arrogance of political correctness.
The shame and hatred for 300,000 Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War......95% of whom were not slave owners and fighting for states' rights and against Northern tariffs.....is wrong.
And again, where will this unwarranted guilt end ? Frankly, I believe it will be a permanent fixture for the rest of my life and as nail1988 said, "the sanitation of history by the anarchists on the hard left is exactly what Mao, Stalin, the Taliban and Isis have done." ......and as JConXtsy said, "No group of people have ever existed without blood and bad history".

There has always been differences of opinions in this country. But how it has recently been spun into violence against those whom you disagree with is getting just out of control. Seems every week we are seeing protests turning into just pure chaos and violence.

Hatred and violence have been hallmarks of the American left for the last 50 years:

Vietnam riots ---- perpetrated by leftists
Stonewall riots ---- perpetrated by leftists
Unilateral disarmament riots --- perpetrated by leftists
WTO riots --- perpetrated by leftists
Rodney King riots --- perpetrated by leftists
BLM riots ---- perpetrated by leftists
San Jose Trump Rally riots --- perpetrated by leftists
Recent Berkeley riot --- perpetrated by leftists
Charlottesville riots --- perpetrated by leftists

Only in the last instance was there a truly evil opponent, but even so, there is no justification for marxist thugs getting into brawls with nazi thugs. And what's the excuse for all the other violent incidents, when there were no nazis around? The so-called "antifascist" movement leaves behind another Kristallnacht everywhere they go. How ironic.

PS: I don't get the tiki torch thing.

Last edited:
They weren't traitors. If you believe this, then you must have been taught this. And you were taught wrong. Perhaps your history books were already cleansed to fit a mantra that was more to the likings of some. But that doesn't make it correct. They believed they were fighting for State's Rights as written by the founding fathers. You can't be so naive to believe the entire south fought to keep their slaves. 95% of those that fought had no slaves, owned no slaves. They fought because they believed their Federal Government was getting too big and making decisions they had no right to do. They wished to secede. Lincoln did not want this. He needed and wanted the resources of the south. A few facts... that your history classes left out.

Robert E. Lee was married to George Washington's grand daughter. BTW, Washington had slaves as well. So did Grant. Lee was also requested to lead the Northern Army by Lincoln but his heart & life was with the South. Another tidbit... Today's Arlington Cemetery was part of Lee's estate. He served his country before and AFTER the Civil War. Calling Lee a traitor is like calling Lincoln a traitor to the US Constitution.
This is absolutely true!! The deciding factor for Lee was that his home state joined the Confederacy, and thus Lee remained loyal to his state and joined the Confederacy as well. But no doubt the North wanted Lee to join their side in the conflict.

My Jr.High School in Houston was re-named about a year ago. To be honest, I really have no issue with it. It wasn't used by the KKK as a prop etc. It was named after Dick Dowling, a Confederate General that fought back an invasion from the Gulf of Mexico and prevented the Union from invading the south via Texas.

The fact is the only folks that live in the area now are black people. The kids that go to that school now, and the parents that send them there daily have every right to name that school as they wish. Because simply, no one else really even cares about the school but those that attend it.

Seriously? I wouldn't have thought that "Dick" was a word during the CW, either for Richard, or for, well, you know.

Hatred and violence have been hallmarks of the American left for the last 50 years:

Vietnam riots ---- perpetrated by leftists
Stonewall riots ---- perpetrated by leftists
Unilateral disarmament riots --- perpetrated by leftists
WTO riots --- perpetrated by leftists
Rodney King riots --- perpetrated by leftists
BLM riots ---- perpetrated by leftists
San Jose Trump Rally riots --- perpetrated by leftists
Recent Berkeley riot --- perpetrated by leftists
Charlottesville riots --- perpetrated by leftists

Only in the last instance was there a truly evil opponent, but even so, there is no justification for marxist thugs getting into brawls with nazi thugs. And what's the excuse for all the other violent incidents, when there were no nazis around? The so-called "antifascist" movement leaves behind another Kristallnacht everywhere they go. How ironic.

PS: I don't get the tiki torch thing.

Weather Underground/Alinsky tactics: it's the "new normal. Makes me long for the N Korean threat...

Reactions: JConXtsy
They weren't traitors. If you believe this, then you must have been taught this. And you were taught wrong. Perhaps your history books were already cleansed to fit a mantra that was more to the likings of some. But that doesn't make it correct. They believed they were fighting for State's Rights as written by the founding fathers. You can't be so naive to believe the entire south fought to keep their slaves. 95% of those that fought had no slaves, owned no slaves. They fought because they believed their Federal Government was getting too big and making decisions they had no right to do. They wished to secede. Lincoln did not want this. He needed and wanted the resources of the south. A few facts... that your history classes left out.

Robert E. Lee was married to George Washington's grand daughter. BTW, Washington had slaves as well. So did Grant. Lee was also requested to lead the Northern Army by Lincoln but his heart & life was with the South. Another tidbit... Today's Arlington Cemetery was part of Lee's estate. He served his country before and AFTER the Civil War. Calling Lee a traitor is like calling Lincoln a traitor to the US Constitution.

Are you wanting all things George Washington, Jefferson and Grant removed as well?
Everything you wrote is absolutely true. 65% of the boys fighting for the south was dirt poor. 15% was between the ages of 12 and 17. Do you really think these kids was ready to die for black slaves? Being from the south If you were killed your family didn't receive money or benefits instead they ended up living like dogs. Tell me again why these guys fought for slaves. LOL

Question for all. Regardless of your age, how do you rated "NOW" to other times pertaining to the USA. For example, is NOW better than what you consider really good times in the past, say the '90's. And, there's always a follow up question, do you think it's going to be better in the future, and if your answer is "yes"....what decade?

Question for all. Regardless of your age, how do you rated "NOW" to other times pertaining to the USA. For example, is NOW better than what you consider really good times in the past, say the '90's. And, there's always a follow up question, do you think it's going to be better in the future, and if your answer is "yes"....what decade?
In regards to the country as a whole, this is the most fractured and divided I have ever seen in my short life. And it really isn't even remotely close to the other decades I have lived through. I'm only 44 though, so I can really only attest to the last few decades.

Funny you ask this Oklabama, I asked my dad not long ago about how the recent chaos in this country compares to the 60s. Because growing up I remember watching the videos of all the race riots and anti-wars protests and riots that seemed unbelievable to me. I remember always thinking I'm glad those days are gone and the country as a whole has moved on and I will never see anything like it. And here we are in 2017, and what I'm seeing on TV is very reminiscent of those scenes you can watch that happened in the 60s. Even just 10 years ago I would have never guessed things would deteriorate to the level they have to the present day.

And going forward...I can only see it getting worse. I really think these fringe, extremist groups will only use the current environment to recruit and build their numbers. Heck, 10 years ago you never heard of groups like Antifa, BAMN, BLM, or groups that openly resort to, or threaten violence to achieve their goals. Think of the Sacramento riots. The Berkley riots. Ferguson riots. Baltimore riots. Charlotte riots. And of course, the Charlottesville riots just this past weekend. It's not slowing down, it's increasing. The mainstream leftist media pretty much refuses to denounce these groups as the extremist groups they are. And for that reason, I think it will only get worse and worse going forward.

Last edited:
In regards to the country as a whole, this is the most fractured and divided I have ever seen in my short life. And it really isn't even remotely close to the other decades I have lived through. I'm only 44 though, so I can really only attest to the last few decades.

Funny you ask this Oklabama, I asked my dad not long ago about how the recent chaos in this country compares to the 60s. Because growing up I remember watching the videos of all the race riots and anti-wars protests and riots that seemed unbelievable to me. I remember always thinking I'm glad those days are gone and the country as a whole has moved on and I will never see anything like it. And here we are in 2017, and what I'm seeing on TV is very reminiscent of those scenes you can watch that happened in the 60s. Even just 10 years ago I would have never guessed things would deteriorate to the level they have to the present day.

And going forward...I can only see it getting worse. I really think these fringe, extremist groups will only use the current environment to recruit and build their numbers. Heck, 10 years ago you never heard of groups like Antifa, BAMN, BLM, or groups that openly resort to, or threaten violence to achieve their goals. Think of the Sacramento riots. The Berkley riots. Ferguson riots. Baltimore riots. Charlotte riots. And of course, the Charlottesville riots just this past weekend. It's not slowing down, it's increasing. The mainstream leftist media pretty much refuses to denounce these groups as the extremist groups they are. And for that reason, I think it will only get worse and worse going forward.

I will be 71 in October and my take is just about what you posted. That is truly sad for our country. Personally, if I could find a way to just ignore what is happening today socially and politically, this time, right NOW, couldn't be any better for me and my family. Yet I struggle with what is happening in our country even though it doesn't directly affect me. But I have no doubt that it is going to get much worse. I have a feeling that I won't be around when it could affect me. So I got that going for me.

I will be 71 in October and my take is just about what you posted. That is truly sad for our country. Personally, if I could find a way to just ignore what is happening today socially and politically, this time, right NOW, couldn't be any better for me and my family. Yet I struggle with what is happening in our country even though it doesn't directly affect me. But I have no doubt that it is going to get much worse. I have a feeling that I won't be around when it could affect me. So I got that going for me.
Well one good thing is the 60s eventually got better. We can hope somehow the division in this country will somehow end as well and the country can get back to some level of normalcy. It's hard for me to believe that though, since now you even have politicians getting a piece of the action playing the race card to bolster their political careers.

I looked at this past weekend as being a similar analogy as the Allies during WWII. Russia was an enemy of the US. But WWII comes along and we were fighting a common enemy. Once that enemy was defeated, Russia once again was our enemy. Fighting a common enemy does not change anything. Same with the white nationalists and Antifa/BLM fighting each other. Both sides are extremists who promote violence. I have zero sympathy for the white power groups being confronted, but you also have to remember that the side doing battle with them is just like Russia in WWII.......they aren't your friend.

Well one good thing is the 60s eventually got better. We can hope somehow the division in this country will somehow end as well and the country can get back to some level of normalcy. It's hard for me to believe that though, since now you even have politicians getting a piece of the action playing the race card to bolster their political careers.

I looked at this past weekend as being a similar analogy as the Allies during WWII. Russia was an enemy of the US. But WWII comes along and we were fighting a common enemy. Once that enemy was defeated, Russia once again was our enemy. Fighting a common enemy does not change anything. Same with the white nationalists and Antifa/BLM fighting each other. Both sides are extremists who promote violence. I have zero sympathy for the white power groups being confronted, but you also have to remember that the side doing battle with them is just like Russia in WWII.......they aren't your friend.

This is one reason that I feel the best time for America has passed. At least in my lifetime and perhaps my son's. Sorry, Billy, he is only 41. I hope I will be proven wrong. If it turns I am, when that day comes, remember me with a beverage of your choice.

This is the worst I've seen it. It's a very organized Kaos. The 60's was as well, but not like now. This appears to have more financing, more army, more international influence. Coupled this with the ability of the internet & 24 hr cable to heavily influence many.

Am I wrong to think that the conservative side of our politics threw a Hail Mary & Trump caught the TD? As a conservative, it seems like we're in the game,,, but we're not playing well. Kinda of like a one game loss elimination.

Just heard on the news that the street next to Fenway Park....Yawkey Way.....may be renamed because the former owner Tom Yawkey was a racist who made sure the Red Sox were the last team to integrate.
I would love to see political correctness shoved down the throats of Bostonians in one of the nation's liberal meccas.
Boston, if you haven't heard, is one of most racially divided cities in the country.....yet it keeps churning out condemnation of people in the South and Midwest for being intolerant and backward.

Last edited:
Boston, if you haven't heard, is one of most racially divided cities in the country.....

You're dead right here. One of my best friends, a guy from Burkina Faso (obviously black), lives in Boston. I had never been there until he moved there around 10 years ago. He doesn't care about race issues, but he just stated how racist it was there like it was matter of fact and just something you have to deal with. I thought he was out of his mind and laughed it off, then I visited.

While riding with him in the suburbs, we crawled by a cop monitoring traffic from a driveway/parking lot. We must have been going like 20 mph as we had just come from a stop light in heavy traffic. I could see the cop tracking our vehicle and staring the driver, my friend, down. Then he hit his lights and pulled us over.

He literally came to the car and asked for license and insurance without any statement or question about why we were pulled over. He ran the info and came back 20 minutes later with nothing. At this point, he finally goes, "I pulled you over cause your tint is dark. I'm going to check it." Then he pretended to put a tint meter over the window and said it was ok.

The windows weren't aftermarket tinted. It was the standard like 90% transmissive tint on cars of that age. It was that moment where I had to give it to my friend that I believed him. Even so, he was still very much just like, "Whatever, that's just the way the world is. You can't fight it, just learn to live within it." and he went about his life like nothing ever happened while I was still scraping my jaw off the floorboard.

May have been some reasonable posts in here, but for the most part, you guys are just atrocious. Period. Not within the realm of fairness or reasonableness. Racial divide might have escalated during Obama, but that was mostly because bigots were pissed he was president and constantly acted out. I am actually ashamed so many of you are Sooner fans, and I doubt you were educated at OU, Hatred and divide are bad. Nazis still suck. These are easy issues that should not require debate.

May have been some reasonable posts in here, but for the most part, you guys are just atrocious. Period. Not within the realm of fairness or reasonableness. Racial divide might have escalated during Obama, but that was mostly because bigots were pissed he was president and constantly acted out. I am actually ashamed so many of you are Sooner fans, and I doubt you were educated at OU, Hatred and divide are bad. Nazis still suck. These are easy issues that should not require debate.
So give us examples of these "bigots" who acted out against Obama and created this massive racial divide the country finds itself in today.

Because I remember it completely the opposite. Obama was ultra-liberal. No denying that. And ANY attempt that conservatives or the GOP made to counter his agenda was met with liberals and Dems throwing out the race card. And now the country is paying the price. It has fueled recruitment to the extremist groups who now want to beat and kill each other in the streets of this country.

And for the record, I am assuming you disagree with me in this thread, but I won't say I'm ashamed that you are a Sooner fan. You don't have to agree with my political beliefs for me to treat you like a fellow Sooner fan. Hell, I have lifelong friends who have vastly different political beliefs than me and I still consider them friends. I served in the military with guys in the same situation, and we always had each others back. I'm sorry you have to take political differences to such an extreme.

JP, I hear you, and I understand your frustration. However, speaking in absolutes with hard lines in the sand doesn't work for humans in any situation, any discussion.

If you build hard boxes of expectations, you'll find that 99% of people fall outside that box and will eat you up when the truth is they're thinking very much like yourself but aren't expressing it the way you expect to hear it.

This is no insult to anyone here posting. I've felt every single post in this thread has some merit and some tact, some less than others, but all are trying. The truth is, most anger derives from miscommunication by people being "ignorant." And I mean ignorant, not dumb, in the fact that everyone has different life experiences, and you can't expect someone to just get your same feelings if they are "ignorant" - haven't shared your own experiences. I'm very aware of my own ignorance. I shared a story of my own ignorance, and I have many more just like it. Am I malicious in my thoughts, no way.

I think a large majority (I'd throw out a percentage, but that's just dumb speculation) of whites in this country mean very well and truly aren't racist or even intolerant. The problem is that a large majority are "ignorant" in the meaning that they haven't truly experienced things in a way that makes them understand. Just like myself. Because we don't see it, understand it, whatever, it seems incredulous to us that it exists and we carry some sort of denial. We don't feel it, we don't see it, our families don't carry it, our friends don't carry it, so it can't really exist, right?

This is just speaking in terms of race, but this idea carries weight in all ideologies and can be applied anywhere. Therefore, it's really important to not create a box with hard lines when discussing things. Always look on the bright side and assume the people you are speaking with mean well. That keeps you from getting turned about comments that may be "ignorant" but aren't malicious.

This really is a good group of guys on this board. Excellent posters all around and excellent ideas. The admin staff did a good job some time ago of weeding out some of the truly dumb ones. Unfortunately, some of our best went in that purge, but I can't name a single poster on this board that is atrocious or unreasonable.

Expectations always set you up for failure. It's a tough way to live, but once you can grasp the idea of expecting nothing, life becomes way more enjoyable in every aspect.

My remarks on this thread have been aimed at the hypocrisy and disregard for history of so many in the media and in politics, which influence the way people think.
In a country that decides that Trump and Hillary are the two best choices for presidency, I see this attempt at denying, censoring and misinterpreting history as part of the large scale dumbing down process of so many that escalates each year....I view our candidates for political office graphic proof of this.

Last edited:
I'm still confused about all the anger about Trump regarding this situation. They are this mad just because he said the alt left also has a lot of bad people? I don't get it. He has already denounced the KKK, David Duke, etc. on many, many occasions and it seems to just fall on deaf ears. The man can't fart without them criticizing him for it.

Like you, millions of others see, hear, & believe the same. This is exactly why he won the election. We are being force fed BS and people can see right through it. I think they assigned us the name of 'Deplorables'.

If it's all that easy to decipher the hate groups, why is Woodrow Wilson still revered? Did you know that the NEW Deal president FDR has issues as well? It's all there. It can't be denied. It's just not discussed because he was a Democrat. I suggest that you read. the book 'The Big Lie' http://www.dineshdsouza.com/news/woodrow-wilson-should-lose-statues/

I grew up one block off Sheridan Road. General Sheridan ordered the early morning ambush of the Southern Cheyenne at the Washita River while the Southern Cheyenne flew U. S. and white flags. I've always wondered how a group could name a road after such a person. And no, I will not petition the Lawton City Council to change the name.

I will add that the Confederate flag was never intended to be a symbol of racism and in modern times, I feel it's been misidentified because of racist hate groups who want to deny others their civil rights.
So I can understand some wanting to remove the flag because of what it has become to represent in modern times.
But to remove monuments and statues of Confederate soldiers and leaders is unnecessary. No soldier on either side gave a damn about slavery. The Southern soldier thought he was fighting a second American revolution and was defending his homeland. The Northern soldier thought he was fighting to preserve the Union.
Two groups of people....Jews and African Americans...have had histories of repression and being hated. The Jews, one one hand, want to always be reminded of the Holocaust....African Americans, on the other hand, want to remove any reminders of the Civil War and its southern participants.
I can empathize either way, but I strongly feel that history must have its influence on us so that we learn from both the good and bad history has presented....something our government seems so incapable of doing.

I grew up one block off Sheridan Road. General Sheridan ordered the early morning ambush of the Southern Cheyenne at the Washita River while the Southern Cheyenne flew U. S. and white flags. I've always wondered how a group could name a road after such a person. And no, I will not petition the Lawton City Council to change the name.

Southern Cheyenne were repeatedly raiding settlements to the north. They had just done so just before the Battle of Washita River, and Custer had followed them to Black Kettle's village. The elder's might have wanted peace, but they weren't able to control the young men who wanted war.

Don't rewrite history, but don't build or erect monuments or statues that honor the treasonous men who took up arms to divide our country. No honor in being a traitor. Take those statues down!

Actually a strong case could be made that George Washington was a traitor if you consider Robert E. Lee a traitor. Also, the 13 states (colonies) were merely succeeding from the British Empire. Isn't that right? A lot of similarities between the American Revolution and the Civil War, IMO.

Last edited:
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”

Ronald Reagan

Our Country is in a bad place right now. Makes me wish for the simpler times in life when I was growing up in the 80's.

Reactions: BillyRay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT