ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Horns back in the Top 10 thanks to Jay Norvell...

Jan 25

This is starting to feel more comfortable.
1f402.png

why do i get the weird feeling jmis is a Texas fan? I might be wrong though. Having difference of opinion is fine and even good for the board but when one side basically ignores ANYTHING said by the other in order to help a weak argument, I would imagine that person loses respect throughout the board.

By the way, whatever happened to that poster with a name like rfku7 or something? Is he banned?

Originally posted by JMISASANO:

That's the current status of this thread and Jay Norvell's numbers resulted in a WR position coach gig at a Top 5 program.
First it was a "Top 10" program, now it's a "Top 5" program. Is "Top 3" next? This is starting to sound like one of "those" fishing stories about the "BIG" one that got away. Sorry, but Norvell wasn't legal weight, so Stoops had to let him go. Oh, and by the way, reality called and left you a message that UT is currently a shell of itself. You were better off sticking with "Top 10."

Strong isn't quite the coach hiring genius your imagination trumps him up to be. He hired Watson as his OC and fired two coaches at the end of his FIRST season. That alone puts your mindless drivel about Strong hiring the "stout" Norvell into wishful thinking land.

Originally posted by Yankees03:
why do i get the weird feeling
Dunno...

Definitely, not a horn fan.

Bob Stoops made the right decision to fire Co-OC Jay Norvell and Co-OC Josh Heupel to make room for a new sole OC.

I understand why Jay Norvell's success at OU as a WR position coach resulted in gig at a Top 5 program as a WR position coach in less than a week.

Does that make me a fan of Jay Norvell at Texas?

Nope, I don't like Texas.

Jay Norvell is now a in-conference foe in recruiting, in standings and in the RRS.

Originally posted by rush4life:
LMAO.... I still never got my question answered.
LMAO2...I didn't answer it?

Too many trolling posts may have bumped it.

Try again.

Jm are you going to respond to Jaaa's post or continue to ignore it? im just wondering. And texas is a top 10 program id say, not a top 5.

Jm are you going to respond to Jaaa's post or continue to ignore it? im just wondering. And texas is a top 10 program id say, not a top 5.
I already responded to Jaaa.

My response was actually to Jaaa and BR.

They want to focus on the talent that never made it to the field, while I focused on Jay Norvell's WR Corp year to year production on the field. That's why I gathered all of those concrete stats that support Jay Norvell's ability as a WR position coach. (Those are the same stats Bob Stoops reads, when he hired the new OC as he spout the same stats off that I compiled on Lincoln Riley a while back.)

I also compared Jay Norvell's WR Corp success on the field with Bama and UT as I was shocked to see that the production was overwhelming high.

Those comparisons also proved to be overwhelming in favor of Jay Norvell WR Corp's performance on the field.

In the end...

After pulling those stats together, I actually came away more impressed with Jay Norvell's ability to get WRs producing on the field vs other top programs.

I truly can see why Charlie Strong snatched him up in 48 hours.

When was the last OU assistant hired at Texas?

Mack Brown?

I never rooted for Mack Brown at Texas either.

Change subject somewhat:

You may or may not believe this.

When it was first reported that Jay Norvell was fired at OU as Co-OC, I found it strange as Bob Stoops never fired anybody per se. Bob tends to wait for them to find other jobs with the exception of Kittle. I couldn't understand the press getting that information out, but nothing on Josh Heupel. When Josh Heupel was fired, Bob stated in his Tuesday presser that both Heupel and Norvell were told on Saturday. Heupel pre-empted Bob's presser with a tweet thanking his fans, but nothing on Norvell. Why? Too damn quiet for me to grasp that silence.

My immediate gut reaction to that news was....that SOB is going to aTm, then I told a friend, "I just hope it's not Texas because something tells me that Bob's personal relationship with Sumlin and Strong could only make that work, if Jay Norvell was immediately fired from OU."

True story...

This post was edited on 1/29 12:59 AM by JMISASANO

Originally posted by Medic007:

That's the current status of this thread and Jay Norvell's numbers resulted in a WR position coach gig at a Top 5 program.
First it was a "Top 10" program, now it's a "Top 5" program. Is "Top 3" next? This is starting to sound like one of "those" fishing stories about the "BIG" one that got away. Sorry, but Norvell wasn't legal weight, so Stoops had to let him go. Oh, and by the way, reality called and left you a message that UT is currently a shell of itself. You were better off sticking with "Top 10."

Strong isn't quite the coach hiring genius your imagination trumps him up to be. He hired Watson as his OC and fired two coaches at the end of his FIRST season. That alone puts your mindless drivel about Strong hiring the "stout" Norvell into wishful thinking land.
He is a lot better than what we had. He will be very successful at Texas.

He won't bother with it since he will stand by his claim that Norvell was a tremendous developer of talent, even though the bulk of evidence proves otherwise. He will just continue to point towards stats that were padded by players that transferred in and saved his ass. Well....until this year when they couldn't get DGB a waiver to keep the WRs afloat and it was a disaster when they lost Shepard and the true nature of Norvell's poor coaching became evident.

To put JMs position in perspective, JM actually has attempted to tout Jaz Reynolds as a Norvell success story. Yes....JAZ REYNOLDS!!!

This post was edited on 1/29 5:47 AM by BillyRay

I already responded to Jaaa.

My response was actually to Jaaa and BR.

They want to focus on the talent that never made it to the field, while I focused on Jay Norvell's WR Corp year to year production on the field.
Bob focused on both and fired him. It's that simple. Your stats show only a glimpse of WR production. Enjoy them, pound away at them, brag about them, but bottom line, your stats do not tell the overall production of the WR corp at OU. And to not look at, study, and learn from the failures of the talent that never made it to the field is a major weakness in your arguement of Norvell. Whether you wish to only look at the positives is your problem. Norvell failed in many aspects and many WRs he brought to OU. Ignoring these failures is foolishness.

BTW, I'm not trolling you and neither is anyone else. If anything, you're trolling the board by repeatedly posting over & over the same content in an attempt to convince others of how great Norvell is/was. The problem is, as OU fans, we have all witnessed his shortcomings. You should post this stuff on Orangebloods. They are starving for good stuff. They'd eat it up.

Gramps, I agree, he's an upgrade. But he's not a Strong or Sumlin. Not even close.

**Sigh** At the end of the day this is all you need to know. Stoops and Norvell were so concerned about the WR position that they gambled on getting DGB and lost. This is no exaggeration. They knew that they were in trouble at the WR position after Sterling. This is fact and showed this year although I believe Durron performed OK. How does this resemble good development. Trying to get DGB out of want is one thing. But they went after him because we 100% needed him because our other receivers were not ready. That is a reflection on the players and the position coach. You can't "fire" the player so you fire the coach. Past accomplishments only help you with your next gig.

Originally posted by Gramps:
Originally posted by Medic007:

He is a lot better than what we had. He will be very successful at Texas.
Something tells me you are right, but I hope I'm wrong.

If Jay Norvell can recruit high school, JUCOs and transfers with ease to OU like no other WR position coach in OU's past, I can't imagine what he is going to do at Texas.

Developing a two-time Consensus AA at WR is outstanding.

It's never been done at OU, and Sterling Shepard was close to becoming another one in 2014 prior to his injury.

I hope Sterling Shepard is a Consensus AA next season.

Texas pretty much recruits itself in the state of Texas at the end of the day.

This post was edited on 1/29 9:52 AM by JMISASANO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT