ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Horns back in the Top 10 thanks to Jay Norvell...

JMISASANO

Sooner starter
May 4, 2012
They just got a recommit from Top 100 recruit / WR, John Burt from FL.

He originally decommitted and was thought to be Auburn bound, but recommitted after getting recruited by Jay Norvell.

Norvell still has 4 star DeMarkus Lodge, 4 star Carlos Strickland and JUCO AA Dominique Reed on his big board, hopefully not signing with the horns.
wink.r191677.gif

I hope with the recommit of John Burt the horns will stop recruiting JUCO AA Dominique Reed and give OU a chance.

Fortunately, Jay Norvell got us two bigtime midterm WR prospects.

This post was edited on 1/26 12:22 PM by JMISASANO

I would love to get reed. jay may turn out to be a great hire, hopefully he has been re-energized to get these guys coached up.

Originally posted by madcow12:

I would love to get reed. jay may turn out to be a great hire, hopefully he has been re-energized to get these guys coached up.
Jay Norvell as a WR position coach was never the issue at OU imho.

I just hope the horns can't find a QB on the roster that throws over 56% either to make his WR corp look bad.

This post was edited on 1/26 12:31 PM by JMISASANO

Originally posted by JMISASANO:

I just hope the horns can't find a QB on the roster that throws over 56% either to make his WR corp look bad.

IMO he was. He had more bust than Kate Upton.

Reed does not hold an offer yet. It is my understanding that the Texas coaches are still waiting for information from his school before offering. I also believe they want to know what Lodge is going to do before they offer. I don't see them taking more than one more receiver.

Originally posted by WhyNotaSooner:

Strange comparing breasts to WR success at OU, but that just proves your analysis can't get past the chest to truly analyze the hands.

But, if you are so focused on Kate Upton's bust to truly see the success on the field like Kenny Stills, Ryan Broyles, Sterling Shepard, Jaz Reynolds, LaColtan Bester and Jalen Saunders, then you get a free pass.
laugh.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 1/26 1:17 PM by JMISASANO

Strange comparing breasts to WR success at OU, but that just proves your analysis can't get past the chest to truly analyze the hands.

But, if you are so focus on Kate Upton bust to truly see the success on the field like Kenny Stills, Ryan Broyles, Sterling Shepard, Jaz Reynolds, LaColtan Bester and Jalen Saunders, then you get a free pass.
laugh.r191677.gif
I give you KS & RB.

Jaz bust.

Shepard would have been to OU w or w/o Norvell.

Bester & Saunders were required to cover previous busts.

You love you some Norvell. We get it. But your love is blinded by the reality of the situation. Having said that, you, like me, are entitled to our opinions. You stated yours, I stated mine.

And for the record, Norvell didn't even know the zip code of Jefferson. Another failure on his behalf.

I don't know what he did at OU, but so far I like the effect he is having on recruits for Texas.

But, if you are so focus on Kate Upton bust to truly see the success on the field like Kenny Stills, Ryan Broyles, Sterling Shepard, Jaz Reynolds, LaColtan Bester and Jalen Saunders, then you get a free pass.
laugh.r191677.gif
I give you KS & RB. (Jay Norvell deserves the credit not me for their three and four years of impact.)[/B]

Jaz bust. (Jay Norvell recruited over his talent once he went in the dog house.)[/B]

Shepard would have been to OU w or w/o Norvell. (Developed him nicely.)[/B]

Bester & Saunders were required to cover previous busts. (It's called recruiting to improve depth and overall talent.)[/B]

You love you some Norvell. We get it. But your love is blinded by the reality of the situation. Having said that, you, like me, are entitled to our opinions. You stated yours, I stated mine.

And for the record, Norvell didn't even know the zip code of Jefferson. Another failure on his behalf.
Response in bold.

Jay Norvell signed 1st team JUCO AA named Dede Westbrook and a stout WR named John Humphrey over ND and Texas.

Van Jefferson only came back on the recruiting market once Georgia fired their OC.

The WR talent on OU's roster is FULL with major talents thanks to Jay Norvell, so Van Jefferson would have been icing on the cake.

Originally posted by pfka_ms:
Reed does not hold an offer yet. It is my understanding that the Texas coaches are still waiting for information from his school before offering. I also believe they want to know what Lodge is going to do before they offer. I don't see them taking more than one more receiver.
do we even have another spot for a WR? If we did, I would've thought Ryan Newsome would be on board.

Originally posted by TexShoe:

do we even have another spot for a WR? If we did, I would've thought Ryan Newsome would be on board.
newsome committed to UCLA last week. Like the kid but I do not want a 5-8 receiver and we have better options

Reed does not hold an offer yet.[/B] It is my understanding that the Texas coaches are still waiting for information from his school before offering. I also believe they want to know what Lodge is going to do before they offer. I don't see them taking more than one more receiver.
His JUCO grades aren't in order?

Norvells recruiting was never the issue, his issue was a failure to develop players.

newsome committed to UCLA last week. Like the kid but I do not want a 5-8 receiver and we have better options
That's what I'm saying. We don't really have room for another WR. BTW, if the guy can play, being 5'8 doesn't bother me one bit. Quan Cosby is about 5'8 and he's one of the toughest and most productive UT WRs of all time. Also, Kyler Murray isn't much taller than 5'8. We've obsessed over size and speed for WAY TOO LONG. Let's focus on if the guy can play.

Charlie has pushed all of his chips to the middle of the table betting that we get Murray and Lodge even if it means losing Gentry and Newsome in the process. I'm perfectly cool with this strategy, but it's undoubtedly a hell of a gamble though.

Originally posted by Yankees03:
Norvells recruiting was never the issue, his issue was a failure to develop players.
According to you, not according to Charlie Strong and the HC at Wisconsin.

Why did Jay Norvell get a Top 10 gig in a week and Josh Heupel get a Top 30 gig in three weeks?

Why did Jay Norvell get a Top 10 gig in a week and Josh Heupel get a Top 30 gig in three weeks?
It seems to me it's pretty simple. Both Heupel and Norvell were OCs and both were responsible for the gameplans and both were responsible for the passing game. Stoops didn't like the offensive direction of the program so both were terminated. Josh Heupel is 36 years old and the sole OC at Utah State; Jay Norvell is a 51 year old WR coach at Texas with no OC responsibilities.
This post was edited on 1/26 12:42 PM by larwilli

Originally posted by larwilli:

It seems to me it's pretty simple. Both Heupel and Norvell were OCs and both were responsible for the gameplans and both were responsible for the passing game. Stoops didn't like the offensive direction of the program so both were terminated. Josh Heupel is 36 years old and the sole OC at Utah State; Jay Norvell is a 51 year old WR coach at Texas with no OC responsibilities.
This post was edited on 1/26 12:42 PM by larwilli
The WR position coach at UT pays just as much, if not more than the OC, plus Jay Norvell gets to live in a Top 10 city in the nation as far as lifestyle.

UT is ranked #10 in recruiting today.

Utah State is ranked #123 in recruiting today.

Mike Stoops earns more money than the HC at Utah State, seriously.

Jay Norvell wouldn't take the OC job at Utah State and live in Logan, UT.

laugh.r191677.gif
I give you KS & RB. (Jay Norvell deserves the credit not me for their three and four years of impact.)[/B]

Jaz bust. (Jay Norvell recruited over his talent once he went in the dog house.)[/B]

Bester & Saunders were required to cover previous busts. (It's called recruiting to improve depth and overall talent.)[/B]

Response in bold.

Jay Norvell signed 1st team JUCO AA named Dede Westbrook and a stout WR named John Humphrey over ND and Texas. Yep. they loved him so much on the recruiting trail, they followed him to Texas.
[/B]
Van Jefferson only came back on the recruiting market once Georgia fired their OC. Yes, but he missed on him before he snuggled up to Georgia.[/B]

The WR talent on OU's roster is FULL with major talents thanks to Jay Norvell, so Van Jefferson would have been icing on the cake. Talent yes. Major talent, no. If it was major talent, Shepard would have had a couple of WRs to be paired with. [/B]

Big & Bold

laugh.r191677.gif

Response in bold.

Jay Norvell signed 1st team JUCO AA named Dede Westbrook and a stout WR named John Humphrey over ND and Texas. Yep. they loved him so much on the recruiting trail, they followed him to Texas.
[/B]
Van Jefferson only came back on the recruiting market once Georgia fired their OC. Yes, but he missed on him before he snuggled up to Georgia.[/B]

The WR talent on OU's roster is FULL with major talents thanks to Jay Norvell, so Van Jefferson would have been icing on the cake. Talent yes. Major talent, no. If it was major talent, Shepard would have had a couple of WRs to be paired with. [/B]

Big & Bold
Westbrook and Humphrey both signed with OU as midterms before Jay Norvell was hired at UT. Point is?

Your Van Jefferson comment is silly at best. Jay Norvell didn't get him to commit to OU, but Bob Stoops recruiting him directly couldn't get him to commit to OU either. Point is?
laugh.r191677.gif

Find a QB that can throw above 56% and you'll see the WR depth chart make some noise. Enough said!

laugh.r191677.gif

Response in bold.

[/B]

Big & Bold
Westbrook and Humphrey both signed with OU as midterms before Jay Norvell was hired at UT. Point is?

Your Van Jefferson comment is silly at best. Jay Norvell didn't get him to commit to OU, but Bob Stoops recruiting him directly couldn't get him to commit to OU either. Point is?
laugh.r191677.gif

Find a QB that can throw above 56% and you'll see the WR depth chart make some noise. Enough said!
Good.

This sums it up right here. OU had a ton of higly touted WR talent roaming the sidelines this past season, but when Shepard went down it was obvious they hadn't been developed hardly at all. I gues Norvell simply developed one WR at a time, then recruited JUCO talent that got developed elsewhere to come in and fill the gaps and keep his position group afloat. When they couldn't get DGB a waiver to play this past year, Shepard was all they had.

Did you must say Jaz Reynolds? He was a bust just like many of Norvells receivers have been. Bester was decent but also nothing spectacular.

Originally posted by barkingwater2000:
Did you must say Jaz Reynolds? He was a bust just like many of Norvells receivers have been. Bester was decent but also nothing spectacular.
Yeppers. Bester filled in and made a few nice catches down the stretch in 2013 but he couldn't make it to the starting ranks.

Originally posted by TexShoe:
If Lodge and Murray are linked as we have been told, then yes, you can bet your a$$ we will sign another wr.

Originally posted by BillyRay:

This sums it up right here. OU had a ton of higly touted WR talent roaming the sidelines this past season, but when Shepard went down it was obvious they hadn't been developed hardly at all. I gues Norvell simply developed one WR at a time, then recruited JUCO talent that got developed elsewhere to come in and fill the gaps and keep his position group afloat. When they couldn't get DGB a waiver to play this past year, Shepard was all they had.

BillyRay you are a pretty stand up poster, but did you feel this way before he was fired? Is it possible that some of the WR talent at OU, was simply overrated. Coaches get too much blame and too much credit.

jmis is trying hard to make everyone believe that Norvell was a great WR coach, but the lack of production from our WR's(especially when our #1 guys went down) over the years say otherwise. Let me say this again, he is a great recruiter but an average WR coach as far as developing players. Great WR's coaches dont get fired, period.

Originally posted by blh111:

BillyRay you are a pretty stand up poster, but did you feel this way before he was fired? Is it possible that some of the WR talent at OU, was simply overrated. Coaches get too much blame and too much credit.
Well, Norvell had been at OU since 2008. And really the massive red flags finally went up this past season, even though there were some hints at red flags in prior seasons. Hindsight is always 20/20.

For me, looking back the first sign of trouble was 2011 when Broyles went down, and Landry Jones didn't throw another TD pass the rest of the season and it was obvious there was an issue with WR depth. But hell, Broyles was one of the best WRs in the country so any team in the country is going to suffer on offense after losing a player with that kind of production.

But a few years ago, OU started to recruit JUCO transfer WRs and Brown transferred in from PSU. That was another time that was a minor red flag, since Norvell had always been an incredible recruiter since he got to OU. He was pulling in some great talent year after year, but all of a sudden OU is having to recruit transfers to make up for a lack of WR depth?? It just didn't sound right to me and made light that the coaches felt the studs they recruited out of high school weren't going to get it done.

Then 2014, and Shepard was all OU had, even though OU had some bigtime WR talent on the sidelines. But outside of Shepard, none stepped up when he went down. I think now looking back it says alot to why Bob and OU was willing to go after DGB and lobbied so hard to get him a waiver this season. It shouldn't have come to that if Norvell had developed the highly touted talent he has recruited especially the last 2-3 recruiting classes.

But back to your question blh, yes I felt this way prior to his firing. It was really just this past year after Shepard went down and it was blatantly obvious OUs WR depth was awful when I started posting about him sucking. I was a huge Norvell fan up until anyone could tell OU wasn't developing any quality depth with the WRs they recruited out of high school. Without transfers, the last 2-3 seasons would have been especially bad.

But back to your question blh, yes I felt this way prior to his firing. It was really just this past year after Shepard went down and it was blatantly obvious OUs WR depth was awful when I started posting about him sucking. I was a huge Norvell fan up until anyone could tell OU wasn't developing any quality depth with the WRs they recruited out of high school. Without transfers, the last 2-3 seasons would have been especially bad.

OU did not have a QB this year, that was also part of the issue. I wouldn't put that on the WR coach. But I hear ya Billyray, and I hear JM also. I've seen good coaches get fired before, so we'll see how it turns out...so far I'm liking it.

OU did not have a QB this year, that was also part of the issue. I wouldn't put that on the WR coach. But I hear ya Billyray, and I hear JM also. I've seen good coaches get fired before, so we'll see how it turns out...so far I'm liking it.
I think it's fair to say that the QB position was a factor as well. But that factor didn't seem to hold Shepard back all that much? Now maybe Shepard could have been even better with a better QB, but his production was pretty strong even with Knight making throws to him. The other WRs on the roster never came close to Shepards production once he was pretty much lost for the season from injury.

But...I think most will look back and say Landry Jones was a pretty damn solid QB, and a similar situation happened when Broyles was lost in 2011.

Originally posted by barkingwater2000:
Jaz was a bust due to his off the field problems. He spent too much time in the doghouse and/or suspended.

But, he still had 1,200 receiving yards at OU, not bad for someone that was suspended one half year and one full year at OU.

His only complete year focused on football concluded 715 receiving yards, sharing the field with Still and Broyles.

After his final suspension he never saw the field because Norvell recruited over him with Saunders and Bester.

Both those dudes had nice careers at OU.

This post was edited on 1/27 2:55 AM by JMISASANO

jmis is trying hard to make everyone believe that Norvell was a great WR coach, but the lack of production from our WR's(especially when our #1 guys went down) over the years say otherwise. Let me say this again, he is a great recruiter but an average WR coach as far as developing players. Great WR's coaches dont get fired, period.
I didn't try hard to make two HCs, named Charlie Strong and Paul Chryst, hire Jay Norvell.

Both long-term coaches watched film on OU and both made runs at Jay Norvell within a couple of days of his release.

You do know Bill Belichick was fired from the Cleveland Browns.

Jay Norvell developed enough WRs that played on gameday to give OU a stout passing game until the QB situation at OU went in the dumps. That I do know. You don't take a 56% completion QB in high school and expect him to be 65% in college. It didn't happen for two years as he still is a 56% completion QB. Go figure!

So, I'm not here to give references for Jay Norvell as he has already has a job, looking to wrap up a Top 10 recruiting class, while Josh Heupel is looking to wrap up a 123 ranked recruiting class.

Talk about night and day.

This post was edited on 1/27 1:10 AM by JMISASANO

Beyond Johnson and Foreman they really have a bunch of RS freshmen, so I think Lodge is Plan A and Reed is Plan B.
Both are impact recruits.

Hopefully, Dominique Reeds choses OU or Arkansas.

I have no clue about Demarkus Lodge's recruitment as OU was never in the race for his services.

Some say Ole Miss has an outside chance?

I didn't try hard to make two HCs, named Charlie Strong and Paul Chryst, hire Jay Norvell.
Things like this don't mean anything. Hell...Urban Meyer supposedly was trying to hire Mike Stoops as his DC at Ohio State before Mike decided to join Bob again at OU. I bet Urban watched OUs defense this past year and breathed a sigh of relief in knowing he dodged a HUGE bullet.

Norvell was going to get another job. No doubt about that. So him getting another job elsewhere doesn't make up for the abysmal job he did while he was at OU.

Jaz was a bust due to his off the field problems.
And good to see you acknowledge Jaz's career at OU was a bust. Regardless of the reasons, he was a complete bust considering not only the expectations he had coming out of high school, but also all the coaches talking him up about how great he looked in practice and workouts, which only resulted in him showing flashes here and there of good things on the field. But not sure how anyone can use Jaz Reynold's as an example of a Norvell success story.

So, I'm not here to give references for Jay Norvell as he has already has a job, looking to wrap up a Top 10 recruiting class, while Josh Heupel is looking to wrap up a 123 ranked recruiting class.
What's amazing, is you actually made this type of comparison, as if comparing recruiting between those 2 schools is a fair assessment of comparing these two coaches.

This post was edited on 1/27 3:35 AM by BillyRay

Things like this don't mean anything. Hell...Urban Meyer supposedly was trying to hire Mike Stoops as his DC at Ohio State before Mike decided to join Bob again at OU. I bet Urban watched OUs defense this past year and breathed a sigh of relief in knowing he dodged a HUGE bullet.

Norvell was going to get another job. No doubt about that. So him getting another job elsewhere doesn't make up for the abysmal job he did while he was at OU.
You'll never convince me that Jay Norvell wasn't a stout WR position coach at OU, sorry.

Norvell's numbers don't lie to me as he coached 3 of 4 WRs with the most receptions in the history of OU football.

The longhorns have a tweet out to recruits promoting the 3 of 4 receptions record at OU, so it means something to somebody.

Coached up only Consensus AA WR at OU in its vast history, and he did it two times.

I'm sure if you had lunch with Strong or Chryst trying to sell them on Jay Norvell's "abysmal job", you wouldn't convince them either.
laugh.r191677.gif

And good to see you acknowledge Jaz's career at OU was a bust. Regardless of the reasons,

This post was edited on 1/27 3:35 AM by BillyRay
The reason had NOTHING to do with Jay Norvell that I do know. When Jaz was in focus on the field and off the field, he had almost 750 receiving yards in one season, while sharing the field with Broyles and Stills. Stout season for Jaz for a 3 star WR recruit, who was an after thought to his high school teammate named Darius White.

Jaz chose immaturity over the field of play, so Jay Norvell was quick to recruit over his immaturity. Jalen Saunders and Lacoltan Bester were dudes that took his snaps because Jay Norvell couldn't rely on his contributions off the field. You don't contribute off the field, you won't contribute on the field.

I give Jay Norvell major credit for recruiting top talent that performed bigtime on gameday like Jalen Saunders' two years and Lacolton Bester's one year once Kenny Stills moved on the the NFL.

Did I say NFL?

You'll never convince me that Jay Norvell wasn't a stout WR position coach at OU, sorry.

Norvell's numbers don't lie to me as he coached 3 of 4 WRs with the most receptions in the history of OU football.

The longhorns have a tweet out to recruits promoting the 3 of 4 receptions record at OU, so it means something to somebody.

Coached up only Consensus AA WR at OU in its vast history, and he did it two times.

I'm sure if you had lunch with Strong or Chryst trying to sell them on Jay Norvell's "abysmal job", you wouldn't convince them either.
laugh.r191677.gif
That's fine and you won't convince me that he did an outstanding job while at OU. Because if he did such a great job, then Bob wouldn't have fired him. Wouldn't it had made more sense to pair Riley with such an outstanding WR coach if Norvell did in fact do such a great job with OU WRs over the years?? Why would Bob get rid of a coach that as far as you are concerned, was a great recruiter and a great developer of talent. Fact is, Norvell's busts outweigh his success stories, and it's not even close.

And you're right...numbers don't lie. And numbers are on my side in the the vast majority of the highly touted talent Norvell recruited to OU out of high school did zero, nadda, nothing at OU.

And you can bag on Knight's completion % being abysmal, but Shepard still seemed to have a ton of success didn't he? So it's very possible a big issue for Knights passing troubles were the poorly developed WRs that Norvell put on the fielf for him to throw the ball to.

I really hope Bob hires a slam dunk WR coach, or it's possible he hires 2 WR coaches if he goes with the inside and outside style coaches the Riley is use to working with. Because then when the WR talent OU already has on the roster suddenly becomes loaded with playmakers, then that will tell us all we need to know.

I give Jay Norvell major credit for recruiting top talent that performed bigtime on gameday like Jalen Saunders' two years and Lacolton Bester's one year once Kenny Stills moved on the the NFL.
Recruited. That's the key word...he recruited them. Nobody has ever claimed Norvell was anything but a great recruiter. But I'm glad you didn't try to claim Norvell developed those guys. The only reason OU had to go out and get WRs that got developed in other programs was because Norvell had done such a poor job at recruiting the talent he pulled to OU out of high school. And when the plan of getting another transfer backfired this past season when they couldn't get DGB a waiver, you saw the catastrophe that is a Norvell coached WR group happen when Shepard went down.

laugh.r191677.gif
That's fine and you won't convince me that he did an outstanding job while at OU. Because if he did such a great job, then Bob wouldn't have fired him. .
Jay Norvell was fired because his Co-OC title wasn't going to be in play once a new sole OC was coming to OU.

That was the only decision Bob Stoops could make as Jay Norvell wasn't going to take a demotion and Bob wasn't going to single Josh Heupel out as the guy that couldn't develop QBs or playcall his newly schemed offense.

Regardless, I knew Jay Norvell was going to get a bigtime position coach gig fast. I was just hoping it wasn't going to be with the horns, but unfortunately it happened. I had a strange feeling it was going to be a&m or the horns.

I hope the horns have QB issues like OU had over the last two years.

But, I'm thankful for the roster FULL of WR talent Norvell left at OU. Clearly the best WR depth ever under Bob Stoops and I look forward to watching them make plays in a competent offensive system with a competent playcaller that hopefully will coach up the QBs fast and furious.

ADVERTISEMENT