ADVERTISEMENT

Its that time! RRS Week, who you got?

Well, the top five OU receivers are out, so I don't know how much separation any team in the country is going to get with their 6th, 7th and 8th string receivers, and a converted defensive back.
that defensive back ws playing defense today, havent seen him play one snap of offense.

I can't remember if I asked this question before but when Joe C hired BV, was Dan Lanning actually interviewed for the job? I ask this because I hear different reports that Lanning actually was a candidate. I personally think BV was the only one offered and there was no interview with Lanning.

If not, I think JC might have dropped the ball.

I can't remember if I asked this question before but when Joe C hired BV, was Dan Lanning actually interviewed for the job? I ask this because I hear different reports that Lanning actually was a candidate. I personally think BV was the only one offered and there was no interview with Lanning.

If not, I think JC might have dropped the ball.
I heard Lanning wanted the job.
This next part is speculation on my part but Bob Stoops said he played a role in hiring BV. He wouldn't say how much of a role but my guess is he wanted BV over Lanning.

Reactions: trademarcs
Thanks for the answers. I wonder how much of a leash they will give BV if another losing season happens. Don’t look but Maine is now 6-0 and if OU was to lose that one I think it might be time to cut ties with BV.

Reactions: Oklabama
I had strong opinions with regard to Lanning and Venables as well as DG and Arnold. Didn’t like BV hire but I think Lanning had already taken the Oregon job much to my disappointment. I didn’t want DG to leave but I was in the minority and understood why everyone was ready for Jackson to take over. Just thought knowing what we had with Dillion was a better situation for OU entering the SEC. Hindsight is almost always better but then there’s no guarantee that Dillion would be at his best with this offensive group and OC. Lanning was a no brainer, IMO. Just checked about Lanning hire at Oregon.

I was wrong. Lanning was hired 5 days after OU hired Venables so obviously he either wasn’t offered the job at OU or indicated he wasn’t interested. Maybe both are true.

Last edited:
To add insult to injury, Sark trolled BV after the game. Before the game, Venables said he would try a Fletchers corndog for the first time if Oklahoma had won. Instead, Texas won, and Sarkisian walked into the postgame press conference with a corndog in hand.

I guess turnabout is fair play. I doubt if Danny Stutsman will be selling any t-shirts or smoking a cigar this week.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
My problem with Brent is his propensity for hiring coaches with OU ties and young guys he coached rather than seeking the successful up and comers with more experience. He’s a little too friendly in that way for me. I don’t know if Saban ever hired a friend but then again he didn’t make many friends, LOL.

So we have two young Qb's who have both made mistakes. To me Hawkins holds on to the ball way to long. He cant see the play as it develops. Casey Thompson is sitting on the bench he has seen and played lots of football, why not put him in yesterday to see what he can do. Why waste a scholarship spot on a 6th year senior if you arent going to play him.

We need an athletic director that can hold legacy coaches and players at an arms length when making important decisions. The AD should be making the decisions, not legacy personnel. Their place is on the sidelines as cheerleaders.

OU has 4 5-star players on the team and they all are on the bench for most of the game. That is just crazy to me. Let these guys go play and get game experience. Way back in my twisted dark mind I think BV is on a revenge tour, hes still upset about Mike Stoops coming in as DC. Going to take the 8mill/yr and dismantle the OU football program. I know thats not whats happening, but on paper on should be better that what we are seeing.

We need an athletic director that can hold legacy coaches and players at an arms length when making important decisions. The AD should be making the decisions, not legacy personnel. Their place is on the sidelines as cheerleaders.
Obviously Bob has been good for OU, but he seems to be a lot more involved in hiring and decision making that he should be.

Obviously Bob has been good for OU, but he seems to be a lot more involved in hiring and decision making that he should be.

Bud Wilkinson recommended Gomer Jones to become OU head coach. Barry Switzer recommended John Blake to become OU head coach. We should have learned something about former head coach recommendations by now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT