ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl game history for Bob...

The receiving corps has two reliable players in Westbrook and Andrews. Mead and Baxter have potential, but I don't see them, or any other player, replacing Shepard...one of OU's all time greats. And guys like Quick, Smallwood, Miller, Green and Todd are question marks at this time.
Five linebackers, regardless of defensive scheme changes, will be missed....as will Tapper at DE.
OU has had better guards than Kasitati and better centers than Darlington in the past. Nonetheless, they will have to be replaced by Alavarez at center and either one of the two JUCOs or a redshirt lineman....and OU has some good ones from its 2015 class. Still, it's uncertain now how these players will come on.
No one doubts that there is talent here, but much of it is unproven. Early on, that could be problematic.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
I haven't read anyone complaining about making it to the playoffs or having an 11-2 record. What's concerning is repeatedly having games where we're not even competitive. I'll take a loss better than just about anyone if it looks like a good game, but I can't take not being competitive. Maybe I'm pessimistic, but my face was in my hands and I felt we were going to get pummeled by Clemson midway through the 1st quarter. At halftime, I remember exclaiming, "I can't believe we're winning," and the many fans surrounding me in the bar exhaustively agreeing. Everyone was witness to the control Clemson had over us.

I will re-post this as it took me some time to compile and I think it speaks a pretty damning story. Our coach just about has the worst bowl game Margin of Victory in his last 10 bowl games over all other modern day coaches that have 10+ bowl games. Had it not been for that silly pairing against Connecticut, I'm pretty sure Stoops would be the run-away worst. This is what makes me pessimistic. I just want to know when enough is enough, because everyone has to have a breaking point. If Stoops were to retire 10 years from now, never with another national championship, what kind of memory will you keep of him? "Thanks for the great times, coach!" or "Man, I wish we would have ousted him back when we knew he didn't have it anymore."

By MOV
1. Urban Meyer
2. Nick Saban
3. Mark Richt
4. Les Miles
5. June Jones
6. Gary Patterson
7. Mike Leach
8. Bronco Mendenhall
9. Tom O'Brien
10. Gary Pinkel
11. Mike Gundy
12. Steve Spurrier
13. Jim Tressell
14. Jeff Bower
15. Barry Alvarez
16. Mike Bellotti
17. Joe Paterno
18. Paul Johnson
19. Frank Beamer
20. Mack Brown
21. Rocky Long
22. Joe Tiller
23. Georgy O'Leary
24. Pat Hill
25. Fisher Deberry
26. Lloyd Carr
27. Phillip Fulmer
28. Rich Rodriguez
29. Kirk Ferentz
30. Frank Solich
31. Bill Snyder
32. Tommy Tuberville
33. Bob Stoops
34. Chris Ault
Damning, but there is an easier way to sum things up: Bob has become the Marv Levy of college football - 0-fer in his last 4 shots at a NC (although admittedly Clemson was a play-in game). Certainly many coaches would take that comparison, but it is what it is.

LSU was competitive late, USC was a debacle of epic proportions, UF was competitive (and we sorely missed DeMarco - the two inside-the-10 situations where we netted zero would have been punched in by good ol' #7), and Clemson was pretty much over after their opening drive to start the 2nd half, considering we never scored again (a coach earns his keep with halftime adjustments....that's what is worrying in these games).

Reactions: JConXtsy
Damning, but there is an easier way to sum things up: Bob has become the Marv Levy of college football - 0-fer in his last 4 shots at a NC (although admittedly Clemson was a play-in game). Certainly many coaches would take that comparison, but it is what it is.

LSU was competitive late, USC was a debacle of epic proportions, UF was competitive (and we sorely missed DeMarco - the two inside-the-10 situations where we netted zero would have been punched in by good ol' #7), and Clemson was pretty much over after their opening drive to start the 2nd half, considering we never scored again (a coach earns his keep with halftime adjustments....that's what is worrying in these games).

Can't win it if yOU ain't in it.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
Personally I'm excited to see Baker and Riley in their second year, along with Westbrook, Brown, Mixon, Andrews and Samia.

We've got a lot returning on defense including studs like Walker, Thomas and Parker who all should be some of the best in the nation at their positions.

Because they hadn't had time to adjust to all the injuries. After a month of prep you saw what they were able to do to North Carolina.

"All the injuries"? All what injuries? Stidham, Coleman & Linwood were NOT injured when they played OU. And Stidham had already had a start under his belt too. So they had already adjusted to the new QB and didn't have any other injuries they needed to adjust to.

OU played and beat a far better Baylor team than the one #10 UNC lost too in the bowl game. And UNC got them on a neutral field whereas OU played them in Waco.

"All the injuries"? All what injuries? Stidham, Coleman & Linwood were NOT injured when they played OU. And Stidham had already had a start under his belt too. So they had already adjusted to the new QB and didn't have any other injuries they needed to adjust to.

OU played and beat a far better Baylor team than the one #10 UNC lost too in the bowl game. And UNC got them on a neutral field whereas OU played them in Waco.

You're not going to get rationality from a member of The Brothers Dim.

It's interesting how you appear to marginalize matters. OU was full strength and full throttle in Waco. Baylor wasn't.

Baylor losing Russell is like OU losing Baker...maybe worse. And, you saw how well that went in the TCU game after Bake May went down and we had to go with Trevor who had far, far more experience than Stidham.

Losing Russell took away the threat of the QB running which was a necessary component to fully open the Bear offense and playbook. His loss likely impacted negatively the Baylor defense as well. Remember what Striker said when Baker was injured in the TCU game and how it damaged the defense too?

You are an interesting fella Jeff.

Brother Dim I am.

BoomerSooner

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyRay
With due respect to you decrepit old geezers, this board is comprised of a majority of older posters (or so it seems), but (and this only my opinion) I see a trend in entitlement behavior, and im not referring to sports fandom. People think they are entitled to say what they want without reproach, everybody owes them, they are special and should be treated as such regardless how much another out works them.

Anonymity amplifies this behavior.
Confucius say, "those who reach down low to bone up on sports message board phrases such as "entitlement behavior" most often are entitled masterbaiters".

A rather curious fella.

Brother Dim I am.

Boomer Sooner

Very very true.

I wish I had the "did not read" this entire thread emoticon because it looks from skimming one page to have been lively and I have not. I got slammed at work for the first week of the New Year. My only contribution is that one night on the way home on late night talk radio while driving, the guest was one Howard Smellsofbourbon pimping a book about his career. Old Howard sounded bombed and was butt-hurt about not being eligible to be in the HOF because of not having a composite of 60% wins because he took over dumpster fires & achieved big success at Louisville and Miami. Poor old dude. We won't have that problem with Bob Stoops.

Confucius say, "those who reach down low to bone up on sports message board phrases such as "entitlement behavior" most often are entitled masterbaiters".

A rather curious fella.

Brother Dim I am.

Boomer Sooner

Confucious said nothing of the sort and The Brothers Dim isn't a reference to you but if you want to throw yourself in with the lot.

Never thought I'd see the day that you'd go from respected poster to whiney bitch because posters don't agree with you and your gloomy perspective.

Confucious said nothing of the sort and The Brothers Dim isn't a reference to you but if you want to throw yourself in with the lot.

Never thought I'd see the day that you'd go from respected poster to whiney bitch because posters don't agree with you and your gloomy perspective.
Think of me as you wish. You still have my sincere respect.

I'm into integrity, discovery and reality within this forum with, of course, the qualifier...as I believe I perceive it. Being right is not the prize with me. Exploration is. Makes for interesting discourse when first tolerating and then gathering and evaluating multiple perspectives to hopefully enrich personal growth.

The close minded and bigoted would most likely be dismissive of such a focus due to a lack of understanding, spite, an overwhelming personal bias or all the above.

This forum definitely brings forth divergent behaviors when developing and discussing a variety of topics. A mixed blessing for sure. Some prove civil, positive and beneficial while others are destructive due to egocentric personalities that seem to exist here to promote combativeness. The latter have the option to IGNORE but choose not to as that would deprive them of the sport making they apparently crave. They are usually the ones who point a crooked finger at others as being both cause and effect for their own lack of control.

It is what we all make it. What is your preference?

Boomer Sooner

Read my post about entitlement that he apparently took personally. It wasn't directed at anybody but rather an observation to what is becoming more typical behavior amongst Americans.

He's in such defense mode that he took it as a shot at himself and an excuse to take a few shots at me.

He's chasing ghosts because some disagree with his outlook on the Sooners and it seems to be taking its toll. Not long ago he suggested I take a break from the board...the irony is staggering.

Read my post about entitlement that he apparently took personally. It wasn't directed at anybody but rather an observation to what is becoming more typical behavior amongst Americans.

He's in such defense mode that he took it as a shot at himself and an excuse to take a few shots at me.

He's chasing ghosts because some disagree with his outlook on the Sooners and it seems to be taking its toll. Not long ago he suggested I take a break from the board...the irony is staggering.

Yep, that someone in their freakin' sixties has bought into the insipid Millennial mindset of..."Instant gratification now!" is very disquieting to say the least.

To say the most it must be quashed like the bleating, self entitled minions that propagate that pie in the sky, unrealistic point of view.
We'd welcome you to join the real world...as it is, warts and all.

Yep, that someone in their freakin' sixties has bought into the insipid Millennial mindset of..."Instant gratification now!" is very disquieting to say the least.

To say the most it must be quashed like the bleating, self entitled minions that propagate that pie in the sky, unrealistic point of view.

all I can add is are you ok ft worth ? We care if there is something you need help with brother. BOOMER!

all I can add is are you ok ft worth ? We care if there is something you need help with brother. BOOMER!
Thanks ia. But, I'm never OK.;) Ask my better half if you get the chance. But, be prepared for a lengthy discussion as we've been married for 42 years and together for 45.

Today I was designated by another as a "WB" and apparently part of what he perceives as the Scoop's lunatic fringe. Not sure I altogether disagree. Sometimes a good and civil discussion, though, can be the best remedy for such a diagnosis.

At times, a valid point can be made when helping another see their own shortcomings that they otherwise might not consider. When I undertake such an endeavor, I often expose my own. Ahh, double discovery can be the best.

I express what I see and feel. Those expressions can, and often do, run counter to another's. That happens as we can all see certain situations differently. Civil disagreements should be viewed as healthy, imho. But, sometimes I'm "branded" with great hostility for those thoughts. Certainly not what I intended.

Boomer Sooner

Who urinated in your Wheaties?;)

Is it you or I that you reference as being the owner of the "mindset"?

If it is meant for me, one's counter might be that your post above potentially reeks of an apologist mentality with allowances built-in for lowered program expectations and for those who administer it. If all goes well, you can boast, "I told you so" and "Bob is da man". And, when things don't go as forecasted, you can say just what you posted above. Gotta love those shifting allowances that make the world of the apologist much more palatable.

See how that works? One might see YOUR perspective as being the unrealistic point of view.

Why can't both theories co-exist on the Scoop without hostilities?

Boomer Sooner

If it is meant for me, one's counter might be that your post above potentially reeks of an apologist mentality with allowances built-in for lowered program expectations and for those who administer it. If all goes well, you can boast, "I told you so" and "Bob is da man". And, when things don't go as forecasted, you can say just what you posted above. Gotta love those shifting allowances that make the world of the apologist much more palatable.

See how that works? One might see YOUR perspective as being the unrealistic point of view.

Boomer Sooner

How could it possibly be for you?
I thought you were 59.:cool:

I personally did not take your referenced post personally. I did see it as an oft-repeated tactic for marginalizing the perspectives of others - whether here or "nationally" - apparently because they are not in lock-step with yours.

What "defense mode" are you referencing? Talk about misreading a situation. You must've errantly applied the notion for the purposes of your own personal psychological needs. Hope you feel better now.

Seems you're the one doing the chasing here as you are taking exception with my outlook. I'm only a counter-responder for purposes of clarification.

I still think you should lay low for a while from the Scoop as you don't seem to able to handle opposing perspectives. You're easily agitated at a certain few. It's just a relatively innocuous sports message board with a built-in IGNORE option. Don't get carried away.

Boomer Sooner

Last edited:
I personally did not take your referenced post personally. I did see it as an oft-repeated tactic for marginalizing the perspectives of others - whether here or nationally - apparently because they are not in lock-step with yours.

What "defense mode" are you referencing? Talk about misreading a situation. You must've errantly applied the notion for the purposes of your own personal psychological needs. Hope you feel better now.

Seems you're the one doing the chasing here as you are taking exception with my outlook. I'm only a counter-responder for purposes of clarification.

I still think you should lay low for a while from the Scoop as you don't seem to able to handle opposing perspectives. You're easily agitated at a certain few. It's just a relatively innocuous sports message board with a built-in IGNORE option. Don't get carried away.

Boomer Sooner

That sounds nice for you and all but doesn't match the evidence.

Share your opinion all you want but that doesn't make it safe from criticism. Because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they dislike you.

Let me clarify since there seems to be confusion. I don't think you're an idiot, I just highly disagree with some of your opinions right now and I do find your gloomy outlook on the Sooners unfounded. Full stop. Don't misconstrue my opinions of Yankee and Barking water as anything associated with yourself. I actually believe Yankee is a run of the mill, poorly educated Oklahoma trash. BW follows in step because that's his blood. While you might share a current state of negativity with them, you don't comment in a manner that is routinely negative to specific players or coaches.

Lastly, you're not above the bickering and juvenile drama here. You partake in it regularly so there is no need to pretend like you're above. I see your insults masked in your eloquent responses. It's quite hypocritical to give advice to others on how to stay out of the mud when you're covered head to toe.

I apologize for calling you a whiney bitch, that was over the line, but I still hold the position on why I said it. You took a post from me on the behavior of many (entitlement post) as a personal insult because with have been in recent disagreement. I'm certain your ego won't let you admit to it, but little else would make sense from a man of intellect.

Share your opinion all you want but that doesn't make it safe from criticism. Because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they dislike you.

Let me clarify since there seems to be confusion. I don't think you're an idiot, I just highly disagree with some of your opinions right now and I do find your gloomy outlook on the Sooners unfounded. Full stop. Don't misconstrue my opinions of Yankee and Barking water as anything associated with yourself. I actually believe Yankee is a run of the mill, poorly educated Oklahoma trash. BW follows in step because that's his blood. While you might share a current state of negativity with them, you don't comment in a manner that is routinely negative to specific players or coaches.

Lastly, you're not above the bickering and juvenile drama here. You partake in it regularly so there is no need to pretend like you're above. I see your insults masked in your eloquent responses. It's quite hypocritical to give advice to others on how to stay out of the mud when you're covered head to toe.

I apologize for calling you a whiney bitch, that was over the line, but I still hold the position on why I said it. You took a post from me on the behavior of many (entitlement post) as a personal insult because with have been in recent disagreement. I'm certain your ego won't let you admit to it, but little else would make sense from a man of intellect.

Wow BC...you can throw down good when it's required...I'm duly impressed. Dang...showboat!:rolleyes:

And you can take my post for what its worth since I have no dog in this fight whatsoever since I've read very little of the thread (although truly disappointed that I didn't get at least one like for my Smellyburger comment above: Hey it was germane to the op!), I perceived something out of some that seemed out of character from beloved community member(s) and mentioned it. I don't know what a WB is unless its wannabe and "Lunatic Fringe" is the apparent new normal in our world everyone; change whether good or bad is coming to us all. Will Bob ever get us over the finish line? Possibly not BUT we could know as soon as next year. Our last Natty came at the end of an era of vast change in our social and political (which is in everything) landscape. I hope for the coming shift back to the correct side in November, whether that means in Football or life in general...

Reactions: fortworth4ou2

Maybe you can explain the evidence to me. Not saying it doesn't exist.

I don't expect my opinions to ever go unchallenged. Civil debate is a really good thing as is questioning. I've spent my entire career getting that message across to others. Being liked or not is not my primary objective when posting. Civil discourse is. I fully recognize that many of my utterances will not be favorably taken. Teach me and I can learn. Treat others as you would want to be treated is a mantra of mine.

It's nice of you to say I'm not an idiot but I can be on many, many things. We all have special gifts. At 62, I'm still in discovery of mine. I admit to having somewhat of a gloomy perspective on the current state of the Big XII especially as it relates to OU. I also admit I can be wrong in my outlook and hope I am. OU understandably has a huge target on its back and our competition is, imho, closing the talent gap on us threatening our position as top dog. The thought is a little unsettling to me.

Due to my career of choice, I'm rather sensitive to what I perceive as bullying and take steps to defuse it as best I can. That's just my nature. I very much disagree with your comments on the two particular posters you reference. They've asked you and others to IGNORE them to no apparent avail so a budding feud lingers.

You are very correct in that I can be, and occasionally and situationally am, hypocritical. I am just as flawed as the next person. In pointing out a perceived slight in another, I am fully capable of producing a similar slight in my counter approach. Guilty as charged. Hopefully, I am getting better and not worse.

If I come across as whiney, my apologies. I don't believe I was in this case but I'm not the best judge of that. Others here are my superior in this regard. Thanks for the apology. I just hope I'm deserving. That said, my apologies to you and any others for any slight I committed against you or them.

Again, I didn't take what you said about entitlements personally. I perceived it as a denigration of others for their opposing views to yours. I do have an ego just like everyone. I take pride in many things. I just hope my humility doesn't take a backseat ever to my pride as that would be a real problem for me to quickly remedy. I'm sure, on occasion, I've allowed it to happen.

Thank you for your post above and for being civil to me. Sometimes, I can make civility difficult for others here. I strive for integrity and sincerity when posting my perspectives. I don't always succeed.

Boomer Sooner

Now hang on here. I started the discussion on entitlement. Just because you provided examples of how it appears to be contagious to those that should know better does NOT make it "ok" to not give me credit. I'm deeply wounded by the slight. You think Billy's feeling left out???

I received an email earlier that personal info was being released not only in this topic but others as well by bcssooner. I took you off ignore in order to see for myself and to copy and paste it in my email if necessary. While I think pretty lowly of you and consider you nothing more than a troll who cares more about barking and I than contributing to the board, I've never released any personal info (assuming that's your real name). If you want to dig your own grave that's on you. The name calling, vulgar and out of line comments just in a couple of threads I've read here in 5 minutes are inexcusable and childish. Regardless of disagreements, there is a certain line I don't cross. No personal info, no comments about a person's appearance and no vulgar or curse words used at any time. Its called having morals and being mature. You are now on ignore for good but I'll have someone watching in case you cross the line. You are in my prayers

You just made my day Yankee. Quite honestly I thank you. Somebody watching me? That's up there with some of the more cowardly shit I've seen you post. And you are a coward. You've placed me on ignore only to hide from my attempts to get you to defend the stupidly you vomit onto this board.

What personal info have I revealed? That you and Barking are brothers? Big whoop. If that sends you crying to Josh to get me banned then you're a bigger puss than I imagined.

As for the rest of what I say: You've earned it. I don't care if you think I'm vulgar. I know you're a disrespectful piece of trash who thinks that it's okay to constantly criticize individual players and staff, but cry like 6 year old with a skinned knee if somebody pushes back.

I think it's funny you mentioned you being above insults about a person's appearance considering you used to eat it up when your idol GLB would make fun of my appearance in the pictures that used to be on my profile.

You are a proven liar, a coward and a hypocrite. You better run to Josh because if I'm offending your delicate sensibilities now, well you ain't seen nothing yet.

I received an email earlier that personal info was being released not only in this topic but others as well by bcssooner. I took you off ignore in order to see for myself and to copy and paste it in my email if necessary. While I think pretty lowly of you and consider you nothing more than a troll who cares more about barking and I than contributing to the board, I've never released any personal info (assuming that's your real name). If you want to dig your own grave that's on you. The name calling, vulgar and out of line comments just in a couple of threads I've read here in 5 minutes are inexcusable and childish. Regardless of disagreements, there is a certain line I don't cross. No personal info, no comments about a person's appearance and no vulgar or curse words used at any time. Its called having morals and being mature. You are now on ignore for good but I'll have someone watching in case you cross the line. You are in my prayers

Wow, just wow!

You are a knob of epic proportions!

ftworth....this gif applies to all your posts in this thread man...

yeah-nailed-it1.gif

Reactions: Huntin Hard

Boomer Sooner

Uh, well, like, I'm sorry man... are ya happy now?

Where's OUr Natty, dammit?

Well, if fitty would get this mote out of my eye, I'd gladly remove the splinter from yours...

Dammit fitty, now I'm blind. Call ST so we can get this splinter removed... :confused:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT