ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl game history for Bob...

Know excuses, normally TCU and Baylor fans would be the one making excuses for their losses. We have some Sooner fans discrediting our accomplishments with excuses for teams we beat. We made the playoffs for goodness sakes. You could go over to Orange Bloods and they would agree with you. We have a promising season ahead. Baker and Riley will have a year under their belt. We will start in a favorable spot in the polls next season.
What have you done for me lately Stoops? He just took us to the playoffs, players won many national awards. OU had so much exposure for what they achieved. Purely speculation, no poster knows what would have happened if Boykin had played.
Some posters think like Charlie Strong. He thought you just have to push some buttons to win at Texas.

What have you done for me lately Stoops? He just took us to the playoffs, players won many national awards. OU had so much exposure for what they achieved. Purely speculation, no poster knows what would have happened if Boykin had played.

I haven't read anyone complaining about making it to the playoffs or having an 11-2 record. What's concerning is repeatedly having games where we're not even competitive. I'll take a loss better than just about anyone if it looks like a good game, but I can't take not being competitive. Maybe I'm pessimistic, but my face was in my hands and I felt we were going to get pummeled by Clemson midway through the 1st quarter. At halftime, I remember exclaiming, "I can't believe we're winning," and the many fans surrounding me in the bar exhaustively agreeing. Everyone was witness to the control Clemson had over us.

I will re-post this as it took me some time to compile and I think it speaks a pretty damning story. Our coach just about has the worst bowl game Margin of Victory in his last 10 bowl games over all other modern day coaches that have 10+ bowl games. Had it not been for that silly pairing against Connecticut, I'm pretty sure Stoops would be the run-away worst. This is what makes me pessimistic. I just want to know when enough is enough, because everyone has to have a breaking point. If Stoops were to retire 10 years from now, never with another national championship, what kind of memory will you keep of him? "Thanks for the great times, coach!" or "Man, I wish we would have ousted him back when we knew he didn't have it anymore."

By MOV
1. Urban Meyer
2. Nick Saban
3. Mark Richt
4. Les Miles
5. June Jones
6. Gary Patterson
7. Mike Leach
8. Bronco Mendenhall
9. Tom O'Brien
10. Gary Pinkel
11. Mike Gundy
12. Steve Spurrier
13. Jim Tressell
14. Jeff Bower
15. Barry Alvarez
16. Mike Bellotti
17. Joe Paterno
18. Paul Johnson
19. Frank Beamer
20. Mack Brown
21. Rocky Long
22. Joe Tiller
23. Georgy O'Leary
24. Pat Hill
25. Fisher Deberry
26. Lloyd Carr
27. Phillip Fulmer
28. Rich Rodriguez
29. Kirk Ferentz
30. Frank Solich
31. Bill Snyder
32. Tommy Tuberville
33. Bob Stoops
34. Chris Ault

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
Know excuses, normally TCU and Baylor fans would be the one making excuses for their losses. We have some Sooner fans discrediting our accomplishments with excuses for teams we beat. We made the playoffs for goodness sakes. You could go over to Orange Bloods and they would agree with you. We have a promising season ahead. Baker and Riley will have a year under their belt. We will start in a favorable spot in the polls next season.
Some posters think like Charlie Strong. He thought you just have to push some buttons to win at Texas.

Yeah, it's beyond me how some here would have you believe going undefeated is just (lickety split) so damn easy.

Using the magicians analogy, Bob has to keep about 1000 plates spinning simultaneously at the same time...together.:rolleyes:

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
Boykin and Dotson played in this game.
TCU vs Oklahoma State
Final - Sat, Nov 7, 2:30 PM
Boone Pickens Stadium, Stillwater, Oklahoma
11TCU
Horned Frogs
13Oklahoma State
Cowboys

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
I haven't read anyone complaining about making it to the playoffs or having an 11-2 record. What's concerning is repeatedly having games where we're not even competitive. I'll take a loss better than just about anyone if it looks like a good game, but I can't take not being competitive. Maybe I'm pessimistic, but my face was in my hands and I felt we were going to get pummeled by Clemson midway through the 1st quarter. At halftime, I remember exclaiming, "I can't believe we're winning," and the many fans surrounding me in the bar exhaustively agreeing. Everyone was witness to the control Clemson had over us.

I will re-post this as it took me some time to compile and I think it speaks a pretty damning story. Our coach just about has the worst bowl game Margin of Victory in his last 10 bowl games over all other modern day coaches that have 10+ bowl games. Had it not been for that silly pairing against Connecticut, I'm pretty sure Stoops would be the run-away worst. This is what makes me pessimistic. I just want to know when enough is enough, because everyone has to have a breaking point. If Stoops were to retire 10 years from now, never with another national championship, what kind of memory will you keep of him? "Thanks for the great times, coach!" or "Man, I wish we would have ousted him back when we knew he didn't have it anymore."

By MOV
1. Urban Meyer
2. Nick Saban
3. Mark Richt
4. Les Miles
5. June Jones
6. Gary Patterson
7. Mike Leach
8. Bronco Mendenhall
9. Tom O'Brien
10. Gary Pinkel
11. Mike Gundy
12. Steve Spurrier
13. Jim Tressell
14. Jeff Bower
15. Barry Alvarez
16. Mike Bellotti
17. Joe Paterno
18. Paul Johnson
19. Frank Beamer
20. Mack Brown
21. Rocky Long
22. Joe Tiller
23. Georgy O'Leary
24. Pat Hill
25. Fisher Deberry
26. Lloyd Carr
27. Phillip Fulmer
28. Rich Rodriguez
29. Kirk Ferentz
30. Frank Solich
31. Bill Snyder
32. Tommy Tuberville
33. Bob Stoops
34. Chris Ault
JCon, trust me I understand your pessimism and frustration. In a way I feel the same as you do. It was frustrating the night of the Clemson loss to get txts and phone calls from friends saying "Yep, same ole OU". And there was really no way to debate that point. Whether it's fairly or unfairly given, OU does have a reputation for choking it up in the post season. So yes, it's very frustrating to have endure another bowl game where OU gets beaten...again.

But at the same time, I have to remind myself that Bob Stoops right now is really in the middle of a rebuilding process. The last 10 years you are referencing, there is no doubt Bob allowed the program to slip. He made awful coaching hires, let recruiting lag, and in the end the overall talent of the program took a big hit. With everything I've read, I'm convinced it was the return of Mike Stoops that opened Bob's eyes to where his program had fallen to. Mike showed up and saw how far the talent had fallen, and from what I've read he went round and round with Bob over that issue and the overall stagnation of the program. I'm assuming no other coach prior had the balls to really confront Bob over that. Since then, Bob has completely changed his staff, and it appears recruiting has picked up recently.

Sure this season was another bowl disappointment. But if you look at the season as a whole, I think it's very apparent OU was playing at a different level than many recent years. This team had a different swagger and attitude. They simply came up against a team with superior talent. Now it's up to the coaches to recruit their asses off and get the players in here they need to close that gap. In a way, I think this year is reminiscent of 1999. That year ended with a bowl loss, but it was apparent to everyone that OU football was on the right path for the future. I'm not predicting OU is gonna win the natty next year against FSU like in 2000. Just saying that clear improvement was seen on the field this season.

Now it's up to the coaches to recruit their asses off and get the players in here they need to close that gap.

Year - # 4Stars, # 3Stars
2010 - 16, 12
2011 (just before Mike) - 9,10
2012 - 8, 12
2013 - 9, 14
2014 - 12, 14
2015 - 13, 11
2016 - 7, 8

I guess I wish the trend was a little more dramatic. It also concerns me that we take so many 3 stars so soon in the process. It's like admitting we don't deserve better. I hope every new recruit from now until NLoI Day is a 4 star recruit.

Let's compare to Clemson

2010 - 6, 13
2011 - 7, 16 (2 5-stars)
2012 - 7, 13
2013 - 15, 7 (1 5-star - Went 11-2 in 2012 and beat LSU in the Chik-Fil-A Bowl)
2014 - 14, 6
2015 - 18, 6 (1 5-star)
2016 - 10, 4 (1 5-star)

Have to admit I find that almost shocking, definitely different perspectives. At halftime I was pissed because we weren't up 2 TDs. Was concerned about losing Evans on defense though.

Look at the 2011 class and see how many actually stayed with the program to make any contributions. Very few. That class was a disaster. Then 2012 I believe there were a decent number of kids that either left or didn't live up to their potential. Haven't looked at the 2013 or 2014 classes. But 2011 and 2012 created a big problem with quality depth that was felt this season.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Year - # 4Stars, # 3Stars
2010 - 16, 12
2011 (just before Mike) - 9,10
2012 - 8, 12
2013 - 9, 14
2014 - 12, 14
2015 - 13, 11
2016 - 7, 8

I guess I wish the trend was a little more dramatic. It also concerns me that we take so many 3 stars so soon in the process. It's like admitting we don't deserve better. I hope every new recruit from now until NLoI Day is a 4 star recruit.

I hope every recruit turns out to be a 5-star player. :)

Reactions: JConXtsy
I do believe that some forget that the team we cheer for is the Oklahoma Sooners, not the Bob Stoops Sooners. Win or lose, I'll always opine about the Sooners no matter who the coaches are & the content will always be based on what I see & how I feel. I'm a fan. It's what I do. Whether you chose to 'like' the post, call me an idiot, or place me on ignore, is what you do. You're a fan.

The elephant in the room all year was OU up front, especially on the offensive side. The talent and experience just wasn't there. Played some finesse teams and it got buried a bit, but as you saw vs Clemson the OL was just too young and the D front was probably missing one more difference maker. OU is also a below average tackling team in the back 7, there is no excuse for that.

That said, OU runs the ball more effectively and protects Baker a bit better and it's a 50/50 game.

I like the leadership and some of the young talent on this team, but I'm not sure I see the talent in the D front to win a championship in the next few years.

I do believe that some forget that the team we cheer for is the Oklahoma Sooners, not the Bob Stoops Sooners. Win or lose, I'll always opine about the Sooners no matter who the coaches are & the content will always be based on what I see & how I feel. I'm a fan. It's what I do. Whether you chose to 'like' the post, call me an idiot, or place me on ignore, is what you do. You're a fan.

Well, if we're grading on the standard bell curve...one could never call you an idiot with any degree of accuracy. :D

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
Let's not get idiotic here...

Hey Port, what up?

I've made a new years revolution (sp)...I'm gonna be kinder and gentler to my fellow posters. Not just a lobotomized yes man or like that but, just a little more receptive to the points of view I don't agree with, at least on here.

However I have voodoo dolls of all of you.

When you say something silly you might feel a little twinge of pain when I poke the needle.

Let's try it out...did you feel that?:eek:

Reactions: BillyRay
My arm hurts... voodoo voodoo, I'm coming back again.

I'm not the one that's so far away, when I feel the snakebite enter my veins...

Hey Port, what up?

I've made a new years revolution (sp)...I'm gonna be kinder and gentler to my fellow posters. Not just a lobotomized yes man or like that but, just a little more receptive to the points of view I don't agree with, at least on here.

When you say something silly you might feel a little twinge of pain when I poke the needle.

You say you want a revolution, well, you know...

Hey Port, what up?

But what about those of us that NEVER say anything silly??? I'm feeling left out.

The elephant in the room all year was OU up front, especially on the offensive side. The talent and experience just wasn't there. Played some finesse teams and it got buried a bit, but as you saw vs Clemson the OL was just too young and the D front was probably missing one more difference maker. OU is also a below average tackling team in the back 7, there is no excuse for that.

That said, OU runs the ball more effectively and protects Baker a bit better and it's a 50/50 game.

I like the leadership and some of the young talent on this team, but I'm not sure I see the talent in the D front to win a championship in the next few years.
Not sure...the OL made huge improvements over this last year...albeit the bowl game. Bottom line is yeah the lines is where the game was lost. Bob has two fairly new coordinators in those positions, but as much as I hate to admit it, they need to bring in some studs (or develop) on both sides of the line.

I think that's what hurt my arm, trying to free my mind... but I digress, that was 25 years ago...

They can fix that arm PLS..................

1ninetymilesiGHFZ1ql8t12o1_400.gif

I heard that.
We were young, bulletproof, no fear, never gonna die.

Good times indeed.:rolleyes:

Oh, I was certain I'd be dead soon, so I didn't care. If it wasn't the Soviets, it was going to be the high flying rock n roll scene. God blessed me though, I'm very thankful.

Oh, I was certain I'd be dead soon, so I didn't care. If it wasn't the Soviets, it was going to be the high flying rock n roll scene. God blessed me though, I'm very thankful.

Man, aint it the truth?

I often muse about the stuff I did...seriously, had it not been in that era...I'd have died an ignominious death before I turned 30... I was just dumb and naive about some stuff back then.

You're right...'but for the grace of God go I'.
I think the old man has always favored on me.
Not bragging, it's just fact. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
Baylor had a month to adjust their offense before they played their bowl game so I highly doubt they were worse off. As for TCU, they won the Oregon game because the Oregon center and QB got hurt in the first half.

Against us they had Stidham, Coleman (won Biletnikof Award as Top WR in the Nation), and Linwood (their leading rusher). They had none of those guys for their bowl game. How were they NOT worse off in their bowl game than against us?

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
I will say this, some of these posts remind me of a few posts of Patterson & Briles before they came to the Big 12, in respects of Tom Herman of U of H. I'm not saying that OU will get beat, but the Cougars are clearly on the rise and FSU knows this first hand.

Next season is setting up as a big season for OU.
I agree that 2016 will be a big year for OU in that the schedule will be tough and will really reveal just how well OU can compete as an elite team. 2015 was a very good year, but some terbulance may lie ahead.
Replacing 5 linebackers, Sterling Shepard, Darlington, Kasitati and Sanchez, keeping Mayfield healthy and having Perine back to full health will be crucial for having a season with at least 9 wins.

I agree that 2016 will be a big year for OU in that the schedule will be tough and will really reveal just how well OU can compete as an elite team. 2015 was a very good year, but some terbulance may lie ahead.
Replacing 5 linebackers, Sterling Shepard, Darlington, Kasitati and Sanchez, keeping Mayfield healthy and having Perine back to full health will be crucial for having a season with at least 9 wins.

We return much more than we lose.

Sterling and Striker are big losses but there are plenty of guys on the roster who could excel in filling their shoes. Westbrook looks ready to step up and there is a load of talent at WR. Andrews will be a monster next year and guys like Mead could bring an element of size that we've really never had here.

I think the loss of all those linebackers will force us back into the nickel where we belong. I think a lot of why we stayed in the 3-4 was because of Striker and Bond.

Kasitati and Darlington are very replaceable players. Much respect to them and their services to Oklahoma but I'd imagine there is more takent in our younger guys. I think the offensive line will be better in 2016.

Sanchez is a loss but we've got so many returning studs at DB that I don't imagine we'll miss a beat.

Against us they had Stidham, Coleman (won Biletnikof Award as Top WR in the Nation), and Linwood (their leading rusher). They had none of those guys for their bowl game. How were they NOT worse off in their bowl game than against us?
Because they hadn't had time to adjust to all the injuries. After a month of prep you saw what they were able to do to North Carolina.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT