ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl game history for Bob...

I get your point. But I also remember that many all-time greats had lulls in the middle of their tenure and came back to take MNCs. In today's world, these guys would have been fired before their last or last few MNCs:

- Barry Switzer
- Darrell Royal
- Bear Bryant
- Vince Dooley
- There are more if I felt like doing any research :)

Dooley? That is just silly. Other than overall wins, he is not close to any of the others mentioned.

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
We seem to be arguing over whether Oklahoma's 2015 season was a "great" (or "flawless") season or a "good" season.
I'll say it was a "very good" season.....even at the risk of being labelled a spoiled or stupid fan.

Stupid? No way. Some "seem" to be very bitchy and whiney though. ;)

Of course, the infalible Briles & Patterson. Here are some facts on them:

1. This day & age, it's a lot easier for the former "dregs" to be competitive and harder for the tradition rich schools to remain elite. Scholarship limits have worked and talent is all over the place.

2. On to the specifics of Briles & Patterson:

2013 Fiesta Bowl: #15 Central Florida over #6 Baylor 52-42
2014 Cotton Bowl: #8 Michigan State over # 5 Baylor 42-41 (a game in which Baylor led by 20 in the 4th Quarter).

But great coaches don't get out-coached or upset, do they?

As for Patterson, he took over a solid perennial bowl team from Franchione and took them to the next step, building up TCU into a Top 10 program by the time they moved into the Big XII, going 47-5, going to 2 BCS Bowls, and 3 Top 7 finishes in the 4 years before coming to the Big XII. Yet, 4 years into being in the Big XII, he has all of 1/2 of a conference championship. Bob Stoops has triple that over the last 4 years (1/2 of a title in 2012 and a full title this year), a time when generally everyone agrees OU has been very down.

Patterson and Briles are fine coaches. Stoops is better and has proven it. Repeatedly. For 17 years.

And here's the kicker, I don't actually like Bob Stoops. I've known too many people that have interacted with him, and he is generally a not nice guy to people he feels are below him. But, he is a great coach.
You seem to be devoid of logic and reasoning. I believe you're missing the "bigger picture".

When BU and TCU abuse us on the battle field, it will not be due to tradition or any historical data on either side. Rather, it will be with talent and coaching strategy. Superiority in talent is becoming the new success model for BU and TCU along with their already coaching superiority.

You seem to give no thought to the fact that both have played us to their favor when they possessed lesser talent than OU.

Trending + recent track record is a better barometer, imo, in gauging future success.

Exchange HC's with Bob going to either BU or TCU and I believe Bob would wind up with no better than the 3rd best team in the conference. Briles, imo, would take us to #8 within 3 years. Patterson might take 5 years to do the same. Bob will never achieve #8, imo, and will be greatly challenged to even win another conference title.

Boomer Sooner

Last edited:
You seem to be devoid of logic and reasoning.

When BU and TCU abuse us on the battle field, it will not be due to historical data. Rather, it will be with talent and coaching strategy. Superiority in talent is becoming the new success model for BU and TCU along with their already coaching superiority.

Trending + recent track record is a better barometer, imo, in gauging future success.

Exchange HC's with Bob going to either BU or TCU and I believe Bob would wind up with no better than the 3rd best team in the conference. Briles, imo, would take us to #8 within 3 years. Patterson might take 5 years to do the same. Bob will never achieve #8, imo.

Boomer Sooner

Coaching superiority? I guess we didn't just beat Baylor by 10 in Waco.

That ol rascally inferior Stoops.

We're trending up + recent road win = you're right it is a good guage...just gotta be able to do the math.

Reactions: OUgradJeff
You seem to be devoid of logic and reasoning. I believe you're missing the "bigger picture".

When BU and TCU abuse us on the battle field, it will not be due to historical data. Rather, it will be with talent and coaching strategy. Superiority in talent is becoming the new success model for BU and TCU along with their already coaching superiority.

Exchange HC's with Bob going to either BU or TCU and I believe Bob would wind up with no better than the 3rd best team in the conference. Briles, imo, would take us to #8 within 3 years. Patterson might take 5 years to do the same. Bob will never achieve #8, imo.

Boomer Sooner

I do believe by singing day, OU will have surpassed TCU and be within striking distance of Baylor. I fund the whole Stoops vs Briles fascinating and yes disturbing at times as well. Briles has an offensive mind while Stoops has a defensive mind. It's a constant chess match. One thing that many forget or possibly didn't even know, is that Briles was (I believe) titled as the Director of the Texas High School Coach Association for many years. He's very connected to HC of many HS across the large state of Texas. He's funneled alot of kids. Stoops, relies on the OU brand and his success as a HC. These two constantly are battling for the same kids.

We're trending up + recent road win = you're right it is a good guage...just gotta be able to do the math.

I know, that's where I differ with Ft. Worth and his merry band of disgruntled malcontents.

They immerse themselves in this fantasy scenario where Bob is the consummate underachiever, and Briles and Patterson are the messiahs that can bring OU back to absolute CFB prominence.

I don't get it.
Were it that simple really.

Again, until there's a vid of Bob getting his freak on with a Great Dane and a pre-op tranny midget...I'm gonna stick with Mr. Stoops.

Better the devil we know. Eh?:cool:

F
I know, that's where I differ with Ft. Worth and his merry band of disgruntled malcontents.

They immerse themselves in this fantasy scenario where Bob is the consummate underachiever, and Briles and Patterson are the messiahs that can bring OU back to absolute CFB prominence.

I don't get it.
Were it that simple really.

Again, until there's a vid of Bob getting his freak on with a Great Dane and a pre-op tranny midget...I'm gonna stick with Mr. Stoops.

Better the devil we know. Eh?:cool:
Fitty, what is Briles record against Stoops? Not Baylor, but Briles?

I haven't followed recruiting like I used to but I know we were a hot name with some big recruits after our special November run.

I'm not giving Briles or Patterson the W on recruiting till the letter's are signed.

I agree with you IF Bob isn't able to increase the overall talent in his program. The current talent level I think is sufficient to compete for Big XII titles from year to year. But I think the last couple of bowls have shown there is a pretty big gap in talent right now between OU and schools that have LEGIT shots for a national title.

When BU and TCU abuse us on the battle field, it will not be due to tradition or any historical data on either side. Rather, it will be with talent and coaching strategy. Superiority in talent is becoming the new success model for BU and TCU along with their already coaching superiority.

Exchange HC's with Bob going to either BU or TCU and I believe Bob would wind up with no better than the 3rd best team in the conference. Briles, imo, would take us to #8 within 3 years. Patterson might take 5 years to do the same. Bob will never achieve #8, imo, and might not win another conference title.

Boomer Sooner
Think it was mentioned....might also want to take a look at the "recruits" they are bringing in.
Not even going to speculate HOW Briles gets so many 5-star thugs...I mean recruits...to a tiny D1 college in Waco, TX. Used to ask Horn fans how in the world Barnes got a 10-star recruit from the NE to play bball in Austin. KD might've taken a cut in pay when he signed with the Thunder.

Gotta tell ya though, I'm surprised we have fans that still feel this way about Coach Stoops after this season. ESPECIALLY since we beat TCU and Baylor. That's illogical.

We're still getting studs at the skill positions but were lacking in recruiting big uglies. That's changed recently and believe we'll see the results soon.

We haven't landed the "best in the he country" type guy since McCoy but we've added high quality guys at a good clip lately.

Same thing at linebacker.

Reactions: BillyRay

The BU and TCU wins were gift wrapped for Bob. We beat Stidham down the wire, not Russell. And, we defeated TCU by 1 point with Boykin out entirely.

No way we win either game with Russell and Boykin playing. We couldn't stop Watson in our bowl. What makes you think we beat Russell and Boykin? Russell (a better passer by a long shot and an effective runner averaging nearly 65 yards/game) is as good as Watson, imo, and Boykin is better than both.

But, you can keep wishing on your 4-leaf clover. OU has a great deal of talent with even more incoming. I believe BU and TCU's talent is better than ours and that extends to their coaching.

We shall see how things turn out on the playing field this year. Would prefer nothing more than for me to be wrong in my contentions.

Boomer Sooner

The BU and TCU wins were gift wrapped for Bob. We beat Stidham down the wire, not Russell. And, we defeated TCU by 1 point with Boykin out entirely.

No way we win either game with Russell and Boykin playing. We couldn't stop Watson in our bowl. What makes you think we beat Russell and Boykin? Russell (a better passer by a long shot and an effective runner averaging nearly 65 yards/game) is as good as Watson, imo, and Boykin is better than both.

But, you can keep wishing on your 4-leaf clover. OU has a great deal of talent with even more incoming. I believe BU and TCU's talent is better than ours and that extends to their coaching.

We shall see how things turn out on the playing field this year. Would prefer nothing more than for me to be wrong in my contentions.

Boomer Sooner

Only speculation on the outcomes. And we were without Mayfield for more than half the game against TCU. Why is that never mentioned?

Wishing on a 4 leaf clover? That doesn't make sense. I used your logic to make my point and you reply with sarcasm. Another high horse rider knocked out of the saddle. Don't worry, it's fun down here in the dirt.

Only speculation on the outcomes. And we were without Mayfield for more than half the game against TCU. Why is that never mentioned?

Wishing on a 4 leaf clover? That doesn't make sense. I used your logic to make my point and you reply with sarcasm. Another high horse rider knocked out of the saddle. Don't worry, it's fun down here in the dirt.

I heard that...ripping off a line from the Johnny Cash tune 'A boy named Sue'...some of our best work comes from being in the 'mud, the blood and the beer'.:eek:

Boomer Sooner
We definitely wouldn't have beaten TCU if Boykin was playing. The Baylor game would have been very interesting if Russell had played. The fact is those 2 games turned out to be somewhat of a mirage and fooled a lot of people into thinking we were better than we actually were. I would have a lot more hope for the future if our recruiting looked better than it does. How can we be a top 5 program if we continually are out of the top 10 in recruiting?

We definitely wouldn't have beaten TCU if Boykin was playing. The Baylor game would have been very interesting if Russell had played. The fact is those 2 games turned out to be somewhat of a mirage and fooled a lot of people into thinking we were better than we actually were. I would have a lot more hope for the future if our recruiting looked better than it does. How can we be a top 5 program if we continually are out of the top 10 in recruiting?

You definitely don't know what would've happened. No mirage. We played an average game against a good team. Period.

PS. Recruiting isnt over.

You definitely don't know what would've happened. No mirage. We played an average game against a good team. Period.

PS. Recruiting isnt over.

Oh my gawd...now we're back to our triumphs over Baylor, TCU and the Pokes were anomalies, slight of hand, smoke and mirrors.

That is such horseshit it isn't worthy of defending.
So I won't. Nor do I need to.

Funny, the ONLY folks that are tainting our success' are the very people that ostensibly support OU. Right...:confused:

Oh my gawd...now we're back to our triumphs over Baylor, TCU and the Pokes were anomalies, slight of hand, smoke and mirrors.

That is such horseshit it isn't worthy of defending.
So I won't. Nor do I need to.

Funny, the ONLY folks that are tainting our success' are the very people that ostensibly support OU. Right...:confused:

I expect nothing less from The Brothers Dim.

Barking if boykin plays vs OU and Mayfield was out like he was? Yes in my opinion OU would have lost. However it didn't happen. Every team has injuries, the elite teams overcome them. We aren't there yet depth wise

I'm glad youse guys are yucking it up. Enjoy the laugh. Happy I could help.

In the spirit of Cedric, I offer you Fortworth the Entertainer.

Boomer Sooner

I've often wondered if OU would have won the TCU and Baylor games had those teams not lost their starting QBs. In the end I decided it's a waste of time sitting around wondering what coulda, shoulda, woulda happened. None of those things matter cuz what DID happen is OU won. Period. Those game will forever be in the history books as OU wins. End of story.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Barking if boykin plays vs OU and Mayfield was out like he was? Yes in my opinion OU would have lost. However it didn't happen. Every team has injuries, the elite teams overcome them. We aren't there yet depth wise
My point is those wins made us look like a better team than what we were because of those two key injuries to their quarterbacks.

Dooley? That is just silly. Other than overall wins, he is not close to any of the others mentioned.

Were the others better? Yep. But 201 wins, 6 SEC Titles, and 1 MNC is nothing to sneeze at either.

I really should have included Tom Osborne though. He didn't win an MNC until his 22nd season at Nebraska, despite taking over the program in 1973 following Nebraska MNCs in 1970 & 1971.

Nebraska gave him time & he came through at the very end of his career.

Were the others better? Yep. But 201 wins, 6 SEC Titles, and 1 MNC is nothing to sneeze at either.

I really should have included Tom Osborne though. He didn't win an MNC until his 22nd season at Nebraska, despite taking over the program in 1973 following Nebraska MNCs in 1970 & 1971.

Interesting info on Osborne. I wasn't aware that it took him 22 years to win a NC. At the rate we are going we are going to have to wait that long for another one

You seem to give no thought to the fact that both have played us to their favor when they possessed lesser talent than OU.

Exchange HC's with Bob going to either BU or TCU and I believe Bob would wind up with no better than the 3rd best team in the conference. Briles, imo, would take us to #8 within 3 years. Patterson might take 5 years to do the same. Bob will never achieve #8, imo, and will be greatly challenged to even win another conference title.

Boomer Sooner

I am simply at a loss with you, sir.

1. Upsets happen to everyone. Ask Briles & Patterson. And Bear Bryant. And Nick Saban. And Barry Switzer. And Urban Meyer. And Bobby Bowden. And on and on and on. All have been upset. Doesn't mean the opposite coach was the better coach overall.

2. And the only year they beat us with definitively worse talent was... Baylor in 2011. Of course they did have the Heisman winning QB that year, and we had just lost the best WR in OU history to knee injury, but yes, we had overall more talent than Baylor in 2011.

The other times they beat us (which would be all of 2 times for Baylor and all of 1 time for TCU [since joining the Big XII]), they were the more talented teams.

And TCU may not have had more technical talent in 2005, but they were a talented and veteran team that beat an extremely young & inexperienced OU team by 1 TD. They went 11-1 and we went 8-4 that year. The better team won. It was a down year for OU. Happens to everyone.

3. We beat them both THIS YEAR. Their "talent" was probably about equal to OU's, maybe even slightly better. They will likely have more NFL draft picks in this year's draft for example. And I whole-heartedly agree we need to do better at recruiting. But that is improving this year as well, so I'm good with the direction of the program right now.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan

Baylor and TCU were a lot worse off when they played their Bowl games than when they played us and they bea tthe #10 & #15 teams in the country. So how was OU beating them a "mirage".

Also, with Mayfield, OU was up 23-7 at halftime against TCU. If Boykin and Mayfield both play the full game, you bet I think OU still wins.

And for the record, a lot of Russell's great numbers were put up against the lousy OOC shcedule Baylor always plays. Stidham put up FAR superior passing numbers against Big XII teams. I'm not convinced that we didn't beat them with their best QB. And either way, we win that game against either.

I give credence to your opinion but add that the timing of catching a game w/ Baylor was good.

Baylor and TCU were a lot worse off when they played their Bowl games than when they played us and they bea tthe #10 & #15 teams in the country. So how was OU beating them a "mirage".

Also, with Mayfield, OU was up 23-7 at halftime against TCU. If Boykin and Mayfield both play the full game, you bet I think OU still wins.

And for the record, a lot of Russell's great numbers were put up against the lousy OOC shcedule Baylor always plays. Stidham put up FAR superior passing numbers against Big XII teams. I'm not convinced that we didn't beat them with their best QB. And either way, we win that game against either.
Baylor had a month to adjust their offense before they played their bowl game so I highly doubt they were worse off. As for TCU, they won the Oregon game because the Oregon center and QB got hurt in the first half.

Osborne would've won one against Miami had he been a wuss like Fred Akers and gone for the tie. Was robbed by an imaginary block in the back penalty that would have given him another against Felony State as well, but everyone was talking about Bowden getting his first NC. The following year, the talk was all about Osborne winning his first... Definitely smelled like a set up too many...

Baylor had a month to adjust their offense before they played their bowl game so I highly doubt they were worse off. As for TCU, they won the Oregon game because the Oregon center and QB got hurt in the first half.

They were playing a WR at quarterback, without Linwood and Coleman, in their bowl game.

Didn't some team beat TCU when their starting QB got hurt early?

You make this to easy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT