ADVERTISEMENT

Time for a new Qb?

frou

Sooner starter
May 29, 2001
Everything I've read says Caleb Williams will take a vacation and then decide on whether he stays or goes.
So tell me what is there to decide on? OU the school has welcomed this kid with open arms, the fans have more than ever have accepted this kid as their new leader, I mean they are begging this kid to stay. Coach Stoops has weighed in, Coach Venables certainly has weighed in.
Every person associated with the team, University, and fan base is ready to give this kid the keys to the OU Palace. And yet Williams needs to think about it. He's the starter for the next 2 years, he knows it, but yet he has to decide.
My guess is it's NIL related. Who is going to give Williams the mo$t and he is waiting to hear who offers the most. And that's kind of sad but that's for another day.
So, I hope Coach V, Lebby and Gundy all have a plan B, and have their eyes on another Qb who can step in and lead this team like it needs to be led. After all this love and it's up to a vacation getaway to decide.
I'll say it again, we better have a plan B.

Last edited:
My bet is Williams stays at OU at least two more seasons. I don't see him staying his senior year.
OU lost its 5-star QB (Nelson) to Riley and USC, then was able to recruit Evers on short notice and now can focus on the 2023 class. Bottom line.....and assuming Williams stays at least through next season....OU won't ever hurt for having an elite QB.
I think if Williams were bailing out he would have done it weeks ago and before the bowl game. Last night, he played as if he wanted a future at OU.

Everything I've read says Caleb Williams will take a vacation and then decide on whether he stays or goes.
So tell me what is their to decide on? OU the school has welcomed this kid with open arms, the fans have more than ever have accepted this kid as their new leader, I mean they are begging this kid to stay. Coach Stoops has weighed in, Coach Venables certainly has weighed in.
Every person associated with the team, University, and fan base is ready to give this kid the keys to the OU Palace. And yet Williams needs to think about it. He's the starter for the next 2 years, he knows it, but yet he has to decide.
My guess is it's NIL related. Who is going to give Williams the mo$t and he is waiting to hear who offers the most. And that's kind of sad but that's for another day.
So, I hope Coach V, Lebby and Gundy all have a plan B, and have their eyes on another Qb who can step in and lead this team like it needs to be led. After all this love and it's up to a vacation getaway to decide.
Guarantee it’s money related at this point. He wanted to have a good showing last night and did. Kind of hard to demand big NIL money when you get shutdown vs Baylor and Ok St. He needed that game to showcase his abilities. There is no other reason to need to decide anything at this point imo.

So tell me what is their to decide on? OU the school has welcomed this kid with open arms, the fans have more than ever have accepted this kid as their new leader, I mean they are begging this kid to stay. Coach Stoops has weighed in, Coach Venables certainly has weighed in.
The kid just like many of the other 4/5 ⭐️ Offensive guys signed on to play for Tbow he thought that was his best shot to the league and was willing to walk on just for the chance to do it ultimately I think he will stay but it’s gotta be easily realized his whole life plan was instantly thrown for a loop when tbow did what he did so yeah I’m sure he is still considering he did the smart thing and is waiting until he can for certain make his best decision.

Williams is playing for who will give him the most money. This is what we have with nil. And until this is addressed by the ncaa and guide lines are applied it will,continue. If you are a great football player i don’t blame you for getting all the money that available. So OU backers give all the money you can come up with to keep Williams. IMO

Last edited:
Williams is playing for who will give him the most money. This is what we have with nil. And until this is addressed by the ncaa and guide lines are applied it will,continue. If you are a great football player i don’t blame you for getting all the money that available. So OU backers give all the money you can come up with to keep Williams. IMO
It will be interesting to see how the NIL rules all shake out. You are correct that NIL money will be involved in the decision, and based on today's rules, I don't blame the kid one bit for earning as much as he can. I work where I work because it pays me the most. How can I begrudge a kid the same. That said, I do expect to see scholorship rules changed in a few years to be much more like employment contracts, which will include exit clauses, multi-year agreements, buyouts, etc.

Reactions: 22LR
Amen. We got the four star qb in this class who may be pretty salty. So who n wow what can happen with him. Also, portal magic has been good to OU.

If he was staying then wouldn't he have already said that? The guy still thinks Riley is the best thing ever so that gives you an insight into his thinking.

Reactions: WmPJohnstone2
What is the source of your comment about Caleb thinking Riley is the best thing ever? Video or sound bite evidence???
lol source? It thought it was common knowledge. Where I saw it was either in print somewhere or in the podcast hosted by Willis and Hall. Basically said he still loves Riley yadda yadda yadda

I think it's about two things:
1. The NIL opportunity.
1a. The narcissist in him enjoys watching people grovel to him about the decision.

I'd like to see him stay, and I think he'll regret it for the rest of his life if he doesn't.... BUT, OU won a ton of games before any of us ever heard of this guy. Right now he's more potential than he is product.

As of today, the country club atmosphere that existed under Riley is over. Competing in the SEC is not for the faint of heart. It won't take Jerry long to identify and weed out the Lucky Charms children.

Setting aside NIL, if CW stays in Norman, I hope he has the fortitude to endure an off season with JS?

Jerry is not going to kiss his arse. Nate can attest to that. I remember when the old man beat the hell out of Nate on Owen field and he kept getting up. That's the type of toughness Jerry will establish in Norman.

If CW can't exist in that type of environment, he can take his business man skill set to aTm, Georgia or USC. Crab legs speaks for itself. Kirby is going to be Kirby. OU fans have witnessed the Midas touch man.

lol source? It thought it was common knowledge. Where I saw it was either in print somewhere or in the podcast hosted by Willis and Hall. Basically said he still loves Riley yadda yadda yadda
I think his comments in that podcast can be considered passive and not sincere to the word "love". I think Caleb's "love" of Riley was greatly diminished when when Riley ran away in the middle of the night. I know for a fact that the OU players were prepped on how to respond to Riley's departure and warned not to say anything negative.

I'll be shocked if CW stays. Other than an NIL bidding war, there is no reason to not announce if he's leaving or not. And BV has already said that anybody who has NIL as the foremost thing on his list, isn't making the main thing the main thing. I also don't think OU wants to do bidding wars. They can't compete with schools that publicly promote that all OL recruits will receive $50K per year.

Caleb came to OU because he thought Lincoln Riley was the best quarterback coach in the county. Well, he's not at OU any more, and has proved himself untrustworthy. I think CW goes where the biggest money is. That won't be Norman. He did OU a favor by keeping this out of the Bowl Game Prep.

But if he's staying, he needs to have let us know long ago. The entire offensive staff is in place. He knows who the coaches are going to be. It is disingenuous to say that he's going on vacation and hasn't decided, unless he's taking bids until he has to register. If he knew LR was moving on, I'd bet he ends up at USC. If not, probably somewhere in the SEC.

I'll be shocked if CW stays. Other than an NIL bidding war, there is no reason to not announce if he's leaving or not. And BV has already said that anybody who has NIL as the foremost thing on his list, isn't making the main thing the main thing. I also don't think OU wants to do bidding wars. They can't compete with schools that publicly promote that all OL recruits will receive $50K per year.

Caleb came to OU because he thought Lincoln Riley was the best quarterback coach in the county. Well, he's not at OU any more, and has proved himself untrustworthy. I think CW goes where the biggest money is. That won't be Norman. He did OU a favor by keeping this out of the Bowl Game Prep.

But if he's staying, he needs to have let us know long ago. The entire offensive staff is in place. He knows who the coaches are going to be. It is disingenuous to say that he's going on vacation and hasn't decided, unless he's taking bids until he has to register. If he knew LR was moving on, I'd bet he ends up at USC. If not, probably somewhere in the SEC.
I agree that he is more than likely leaving. The fans showing Caleb all that love doesn't seem to really mean anything to him. We are living in a different time now where loyalty and integrity are secondary at best. I say if he is having this much trouble making a decision then maybe he isn't for us.

I agree that he is more than likely leaving. The fans showing Caleb all that love doesn't seem to really mean anything to him. We are living in a different time now where loyalty and integrity are secondary at best. I say if he is having this much trouble making a decision then maybe he isn't for us.

Pulled that out of your ass.

Reactions: 22LR
NIL and the portal have done it for me guys and gals. This bullshit is just the beginning of more harrowing days imo. I just don't wanna try to keep up with this craziness any longer. CFB just doesn't make sense anymore for me. Good atmosphere at last night's game, I had a great time and while I enjoyed the win, this was my last hoorah. I'm disappointed with CFB and it's direction. I bleed CRIMSON and always will.

NIL and the portal have done it for me guys and gals. This bullshit is just the beginning of more harrowing days imo. I just don't wanna try to keep up with this craziness any longer. CFB just doesn't make sense anymore for me. Good atmosphere at last night's game, I had a great time and while I enjoyed the win, this was my last hoorah. I'm disappointed with CFB and it's direction. I bleed CRIMSON and always will.
Baseball has also faded from my love of it due to greed and lower quality of play and fan appeal. Guess CFB is following the same route.

Reactions: kcstorm06
If he hasn't decided before now then its all about the Money. He has everything else so now its time to get paid. Thats my guess.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Caleb appears to be mature beyond his age . He may stay or go, but I do not think he has decided. If he was going to USC I think that would have already happened. He may go somewhere else where the NIL.makes it nearly impossible to turn down.

Reactions: Soonermikee5
It's owned CFB for three decades, but its ownership is tighter than ever now.
I felt strongly that Brooks would leave after this season. Hope he stays healthy.

Running backs should go as soon as they can. Brooks value will never be higher and his Running style will fit well in the league. No need to take another season of wear and tear.

Marcus Major looks ready to carry the load, with Gray as the slasher. Just need to build depth.

Brooks is projected in the 4th round, that should get him about $800k. Our RBs tend to have longer careers than the NFL's average longevity for RB of 2 years and 7 months, except heart crushing Junior gone early Rodney Anderson. But, Rodney Anderson might have been injured at OU again, if he didn't split for the NFL early. It was the best thing for him to do. Brooks should make around $3 million across a five-year NFL career. If you can sign a one year $3 million dollar contract, then you should probably do that as that's the usual working stiff's lifetime salary. If you can make more by waiting, then wait. Boomer Sooner! Good Luck guys!

I think his comments in that podcast can be considered passive and not sincere to the word "love". I think Caleb's "love" of Riley was greatly diminished when when Riley ran away in the middle of the night. I know for a fact that the OU players were prepped on how to respond to Riley's departure and warned not to say anything negative.
Serious question brother. Are you a pr rep designated for this board?

Just curious my man, you seem to have a knowledge like you have a foot in the door somewhere. Honest question on my part. 😁
I appreciate your honest question. My honest answer.......I've been a season ticket holder since 1985 but lived overseas and rarely got to attend games other than year end bowl season. I semi retired in Jan 2020 and decided I would seriously upgrade my seats to include an annual donor pledge well above the value required for the upgrade. As we all know, money opens a lot of doors. I have been invited to many OU events as a result. I made acquaintances with many people "in the know" in all OU sports. I had the pleasure of being invited by Joe C to his VP box for two games this year. There was no shortage of Sooner Club donors.

I appreciate your honest question. My honest answer.......I've been a season ticket holder since 1985 but lived overseas and rarely got to attend games other than year end bowl season. I semi retired in Jan 2020 and decided I would seriously upgrade my seats to include an annual donor pledge well above the value required for the upgrade. As we all know, money opens a lot of doors. I have been invited to many OU events as a result. I made acquaintances with many people "in the know" in all OU sports. I had the pleasure of being invited by Joe C to his VP box for two games this year. There was no shortage of Sooner Club donors.
Appreciate it. Clear blue sky like. 😉

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT