ADVERTISEMENT

Time for a new Qb?

I have have reliable info they have rented a cabin near Pine Bluff, Arkansas for the New Year’s weekend.
Him and his family might want to rethink this. Pine Bluff isn’t a vacation designation. Not exactly a very safe place to visit.

I appreciate your honest question. My honest answer.......I've been a season ticket holder since 1985 but lived overseas and rarely got to attend games other than year end bowl season. I semi retired in Jan 2020 and decided I would seriously upgrade my seats to include an annual donor pledge well above the value required for the upgrade. As we all know, money opens a lot of doors. I have been invited to many OU events as a result. I made acquaintances with many people "in the know" in all OU sports. I had the pleasure of being invited by Joe C to his VP box for two games this year. There was no shortage of Sooner Club donors.
I can personally vouch for this. Scottsdale is one of the most genuine people I've ever met.

Something Williams should consider is a solid commitment to stay from him probably has alot of sway with other recruits we may potentially sign in February. I think it was Lehman the other day on his podcast that said, when referring to this Willams scenario, these schools do not want to get into an issue of allowing the NIL to allow a player to hold a team hostage, so to speak. Williams needs to shit or get off the pot stat.

So many fans across CFB feel that these players need to be paid. I am not in that line of thinking because they already get school paid for. The NIL ruling now is even worse because more and more players are going to either hold schools hostage to pay more or choose the school that get them a better endorsement deal. CFB is headed in the wrong direction.

I saw something on another site where an OU poster saying he’s in the know and that from what he knows Caleb Williams has said he’s entering the portal but will allow OU to re-recruit him. Don’t know if this info is true but it wouldn’t surprise me with how elusive Caleb has been in this whole deal. If it is true I’d make an Caleb an NIL deal that is reasonable if he balks tell him to kick rocks.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
I saw something on another site where an OU poster saying he’s in the know and that from what he knows Caleb Williams has said he’s entering the portal but will allow OU to re-recruit him. Don’t know if this info is true but it wouldn’t surprise me with how elusive Caleb has been in this whole deal. If it is true I’d make an Caleb an NIL deal that is reasonable if he balks tell him to kick rocks.
If true then Caleb is saying the highest bidder gets his services. This wouldnt sit well with me if I was BV.

Reactions: ShamWowed
If true then Caleb is saying the highest bidder gets his services. This wouldnt sit well with me if I was BV.
What a slippery slope. I guarantee if Caleb stays at OU in exchange for a generous NIL deal, the expectations of him or any other highly compensated QB/player will be through the roof and if they don’t deliver you’ll see the fans turn on them quickly. What a fiasco this is going to be and the effed up part of it all is that just because Williams may sign an NIL deal and stay at OU this year, what’s to stop him from holding OU hostage next year with the threat of a transfer out and do it all over again like Ewers

Last edited:
I don't understand the need to enter The Portal in order to engage your current university for an NIL deal.
Maybe I'm not reading the rules correctly. Is there someone here that can really explain how this works?

Is it only available for prospects? Does engaging in an NIL deal while already on the team cross the paying-for-play rules?

I don't understand the need to enter The Portal in order to engage your current university for an NIL deal.
Maybe I'm not reading the rules correctly. Is there someone here that can really explain how this works?

Is it only available for prospects? Does engaging in an NIL deal while already on the team cross the paying-for-play rules?
He has to enter the Portal be able to talk to other teams. He will get offers and OU will have to perhaps match an offer or offer more.
If he doesn't enter the Portal he can't negotiate with OU because he wouldn't be getting any offers.

He has to enter the Portal be able to talk to other teams. He will get offers and OU will have to perhaps match an offer or offer more.
If he doesn't enter the Portal he can't negotiate with OU because he wouldn't be getting any offers.
That’s right he’s entering the portal simply for money grab purposes. Kind of like the No. 1 recruit signing with Jackson State

It's owned CFB for three decades, but its ownership is tighter than ever now.
Its not the NFL but agents. Agents are attorneys - they pushed for the legalization of NIL, and there is no legal argument to put that genie back in the bottle; only a matter of time CFB players can get an agent while in school and I'm sure their unofficial street agents are already coordinating matters (just as they also manage NFL players commercial advertising contracts, etc.). They'll be asking each school for their best NIL package and advising their HS clients accordingly. When Riley said making USC the "Mecca" of CFB he had nothing else in mind than the NIL the USC AD promised.

Joe C. can hire a right hand man to do nothing but raise NIL $ or fold tent and go home. That is where CFB is at.

So does this mean we need to try to pay Williams first and possibly our new incoming qb too? Lineman? Will everyone be on a payroll so to speak at some point.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
So does this mean we need to try to pay Williams first and possibly our new incoming qb too? Lineman? Will everyone be on a payroll so to speak at some point.
It is all heading that way. Unfortunately for OU they have to play the game with these athletes but if it was me I would just tell CW good luck and not negotiate with him. Yes I know that would leave OU without a QB with actual playing time but it would also send a message to future guys like Williams that this isn’t the NFL.

I think the kid had that special tag all over him but in the end this move tells me he is a selfish player looking for the big payout. He has put “I” over team. Not a good look for someone who was suppose to be the leader of this team next year.

NIL means professionalism. Pure and simple. So now the NCAA is allowing the exact same thing that it has previously penalized college teams for decades. All a school has to do is find a big corporate donor to give a NIL contract to any player that signs to play for them. Like Texas allegedly has for offensive lineman.

Everything I've read says Caleb Williams will take a vacation and then decide on whether he stays or goes.
So tell me what is there to decide on? OU the school has welcomed this kid with open arms, the fans have more than ever have accepted this kid as their new leader, I mean they are begging this kid to stay. Coach Stoops has weighed in, Coach Venables certainly has weighed in.
Every person associated with the team, University, and fan base is ready to give this kid the keys to the OU Palace. And yet Williams needs to think about it. He's the starter for the next 2 years, he knows it, but yet he has to decide.
My guess is it's NIL related. Who is going to give Williams the mo$t and he is waiting to hear who offers the most. And that's kind of sad but that's for another day.
So, I hope Coach V, Lebby and Gundy all have a plan B, and have their eyes on another Qb who can step in and lead this team like it needs to be led. After all this love and it's up to a vacation getaway to decide.
I'll say it again, we better have a plan B.
Well I have to say Frou, you called it. Your title caption says it all. I really really like the way this program is headed. You get guys in here that want to work and play football, not take the short term money grab or opt out of bowl games, disrespecting your team mates. And a final thought, good luck Caleb, you will need it.

Reactions: Oklabama
Well I have to say Frou, you called it. Your title caption says it all. I really really like the way this program is headed. You get guys in here that want to work and play football, not take the short term money grab or opt out of bowl games, disrespecting your team mates. And a final thought, good luck Caleb, you will need it.
I noticed in a recent interview by Caleb Williams .... I believe it was after the Alamo Bowl .... he kept saying, "My guys ..... my guys ..... my guys". That didn't sit well with me. He needs to have a "team" attitude.

Reactions: iasooner2000
This is an opportunity for Joe C. to retain the universities integrity and let Williams be on his merry way. Don't negotiate with a 19 yr old kid and let him hold you hostage. Explain to him the opportunities that being the QB at OU will give him and if he is too dumb to grasp that then he isn't our guy.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
NIL means professionalism. Pure and simple. So now the NCAA is allowing the exact same thing that it has previously penalized college teams for decades.
NIL is less than professionalism - at least the NFLhas contracts. NCAA only has a NIL/portal bidding market with no salary cap.

If you think about it, for the last 6 years OU quarterbacks have been elite! Two Heisman Trophy winners and two Heisman runner ups, and you know what--OU didn't win sh**!! Some trips to the playoffs but one and done every time. Maybe, just maybe Brent has a better plan. This team right now has 4 guys on it who have at one time been defensive coordinators. Something tells me Brent didn't just come by this by accident. He has a plan.

If there are any issues with NIL then let a guy go. NIL is going to rot teams from the inside out.

Reactions: CTOkie
If you think about it, for the last 6 years OU quarterbacks have been elite! Two Heisman Trophy winners and two Heisman runner ups, and you know what--OU didn't win sh**!! Some trips to the playoffs but one and done every time. Maybe, just maybe Brent has a better plan. This team right now has 4 guys on it who have at one time been defensive coordinators. Something tells me Brent didn't just come by this by accident. He has a plan.
The excellence of the quarterbacks that OU has had over the past 6 years was wasted in the post season by the fact that OU had poor defenses. Not because of the abilities of the 4 QB's (Mayfield, Murray, Hurts, Rattler and Williams).
For six years OU operated with what I believe was a "50% team".....half offense....zero defense.
Pretty good reflection of the old saying "offense sells tickets-defense wins championships".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT