ADVERTISEMENT

This week's upcoming severe weather

Soonerheart

Sooner commitment
Oct 7, 2012
Norman
Just a heads up about weather …

Possibly big, strong, long tracked very violent tornadoes and huge hail look possible in Oklahoma this week.

Pay close very attention to reputable weather media sources for forecast and timely warring's.

Have a plan now!
wink.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/5 4:28 PM by Soonerheart

Originally posted by Medic007:

What are your thoughts about Wednesday the 8th?
Could be a high end event late afternoon and evening.

They will learn more about where and what as this gets
closer.... but I just wanted to give everyone a heads up to pay very close attention…..Right
now Wednesday looks like the biggest threat day for central OK...

Leaving work very early might not be a bad idea if this
develops as indicated.

Originally posted by Section22Sooner:
Originally posted by Soonerheart:

...reputable weather media sources...
What's that?
Good one. My thoughts, exacytly!

Crap, they can't get it right 12 hours in advance and now we are supposed to be wary over a long term weather forecast?

Anyone remember all those huge snows we were supposed to get last winter?

Didn't happen.

Man I absolutely hate this. My brother lives in Choctaw and seems that thing tracks through Moore and right near his house several times. Just makes me sick to my stomach the destruction these things cause.

Originally posted by Medic007:
roy, the info isn't coming from the media. It's coming from the NOAA Storm Prediction Center.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Oh... are those the guys who were playing ping pong while KWTV 9 was broadcasting a live tornado ripping up Moore a couple of weeks ago? The police were begging for a NWS Tornado Warning so that the si-reens would start up. That day, the reputable sources were the weather guys on TV with the weather woodies. ;)

Form a guy that lives out of state, please be assured that OKC has the BEST storm coverage and prediction in America! Hands down.

As far as im concerned, OKlahoma weathermen are absolutely terrible. Anyone else get tired of hearing David Payne freak out during a storm? does that guy forget he is on the air? lol.

Originally posted by Yankees03:
As far as im concerned, OKlahoma weathermen are absolutely terrible. Anyone else get tired of hearing David Payne freak out during a storm? does that guy forget he is on the air? lol.

There are hundreds of meteorologist working in the OKC Norman area. There are a few that in order to boost TV ratings over play the weather. But smart thinkers can separate their hype from the facts...
The 100% truth is and there is no doubt that in spite of a few mistakes the OKC / Norman area meteorologist deliver the very best severe weather coverage in the entire world, bar none. Rather anyone else likes it or not that is the truth according to many experts.

This post was edited on 4/8 4:05 PM by Soonerheart

Tornado watch until Midnight

OKLAHOMA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ALFALFA
BECKHAM BLAINE
CADDO
CANADIAN CREEK
CUSTER
DEWEY ELLIS
GARFIELD
GRANT GREER
HARMON
JACKSON KAY
KINGFISHER
KIOWA LINCOLN LOGAN
MAJOR NOBLE
OKLAHOMA
OSAGE PAWNEE
PAYNE
ROGER MILLS TULSA
WASHINGTON
WASHITA WOODS
WOODWARD

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/

This post was edited on 4/8 4:04 PM by Soonerheart

well I disagree lol. I help run a little league baseball/sports program so during the spring and fall we keep a close eye on the weather. Most of the time not only are they a little off on predictions, but they are WAY off. I realize the weather is hard to predict especially here in Oklahoma, but they have been off so many times the past few years its ridiculous. There are a lot of people i dont trust in this world but at the top are the weathermen of Oklahoma. As you stated, some do it for ratings and those just happen to be the ones on the major oklahoma stations. I long for the days of Gary England lol. Mike Morgan and David Payne are an embarrassment

well I disagree lol. I help run a little league baseball/sports program so during the spring and fall we keep a close eye on the weather. Most of the time not only are they a little off on predictions, but they are WAY off. I realize the weather is hard to predict especially here in Oklahoma, but they have been off so many times the past few years its ridiculous. There are a lot of people i dont trust in this world but at the top are the weathermen of Oklahoma. As you stated, some do it for ratings and those just happen to be the ones on the major oklahoma stations. I long for the days of Gary England lol. Mike Morgan and David Payne are an embarrassment

Your wrongly lumping 2 TV meteorologist in with the hundreds who work in the greater OKC area
….For what they do with severe weather they are as good as it gets in the world

well we have what, 3 or 4 major stations here in oklahoma? channel 4, 5, 9 and fox 25? who else do you want me to judge it on? lol Im just saying. I dont personally know all of the storm chasers, i just know these other guys are terrible and/or lie for ratings.

well we have what, 3 or 4 major stations here in oklahoma? channel 4, 5, 9 and fox 25? who else do you want me to judge it on? lol Im just saying. I dont personally know all of the storm chasers, i just know these other guys are terrible and/or lie for ratings.
If you paid any attention to OU beyond its sports you would know that OU has the world's top severe storms research and predictions being done on its campus and there are also privet metrological company's on OU campus… A big deal has been made of this^ in Norman.Learn to understand they are not all the same….

lol fitty. Well heart have one of those call or text me and let me know the forecast each each. Until then, i have to watch these clowns on TV

I'm not understanding the fascination or the lack of, with weather personalities and/or metorologists. There are some pretty solid apps for smart phones with alert settings etc these days.

Get it from the source. The National Weather Service, National Severe Storms Lab, and the Storm Prediction Center are the best sources for severe weather forecasts. There is even a really cool and scarily accurate weather model called the Weather Research Forecasting model. It is run every day on a massive computer that has 256 processors in Boulder, Colorado. Search "wrf oun" for Oklahoma Specific models.

Just watch the weather guys for the live broadcasts to see the developing weather.

Originally posted by iasooner1:
We're get heavy rains, thunder etc. Probably the leftovers from earlier today.

I miss 'ol Don Woods (no relation) and making fun of his efforts to draw "Gusty" at the end of every broadcast
I miss him too. I got picked in the late 70's and he drew one for me during that nights forecast. Ah the memories. Now I have to go and see if I can find it.

Originally posted by AbsoluteZer0:
Originally posted by iasooner1:
We're get heavy rains, thunder etc. Probably the leftovers from earlier today.

I miss 'ol Don Woods (no relation) and making fun of his efforts to draw "Gusty" at the end of every broadcast
I miss him too. I got picked in the late 70's and he drew one for me during that nights forecast. Ah the memories. Now I have to go and see if I can find it.
As an aside, if memory is correct (maybe Schoonerman remembers) our original High School graduation speaker cancelled and Don Woods was our substitute at the last minute...

Reactions: Section22Sooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT