ADVERTISEMENT

THE OFFICIAL GAME THREAD - GAME #9 - OU vs. TT

Yep, defense is horrendous. Funny our Offense is talked about with praise a lot by others, the defense is made fun of and joked about just as much or more than the offense is praised.

Did not enjoy watching this fiasco! Defense has a long way to go to get over MS influence, KM 2 ints! , LR your worst coaching game, LR did not have control of team, etc etc.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
Finally its over. Not a great game but a win is a win. Still lots to work on so late in the season especially the running of the mouths and stupid penalties. Probably no hope for the D this season, I have pretty much given up on that.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
You bench Lamb for almost costing us a game. Gutless. He needs to go to the sideline and flips his wig. You are talented but yet immature CeeDee. You should find the pine for Bedlam.

This right here. Riley should have yanked his ass off the field and told him he was done for the day. 30 flipping yard penalty because he wanted to act like a thug.

With all the personal fouls Riley should be hot as hell with his players. He has to show this is his team not theirs. We dont need these players to become the Miami of old.

Rielly is a great play caller may be one of the best, but not sure he is head coach material. I dont think I have ever seen him lay into a player. We have way to many penalties and zero discipline. Its going to be hard for this team to win the big 12 if they keep playing this way.

Reactions: 8085sooner
Rielly is a great play caller may be one of the best, but not sure he is head coach material. I dont think I have ever seen him lay into a player. We have way to many penalties and zero discipline. Its going to be hard for this team to win the big 12 if they keep playing this way.

Agree and quite honestly I doubt OU wins this game if Tech starting QB had played the second half.

No he wasn't. You're pouting and being dramatic.

Give me 10 teams you'd put ahead of them.

They're having a bad night. It happens. Lubbock gets cooky at night.
No he wasn't. You're pouting and being dramatic.

Give me 10 teams you'd put ahead of them.

They're having a bad night. It happens. Lubbock gets cooky at night.
No bc, I’m giving an opinion. What am I “pouting” or “being dramatic” about ?
I just don’t like the lack of defense of this team. I haven’t in over 5-6 years.
I don’t think that the way this team played tonight or against Texas merits a top ten ranking. Had this team tonight played Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Michigan, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, Washington State, or West Virginia, I think they could have lost. Texas, Texas Tech and Army are not as talented as OU, but each gave OU a tough game.
Furthermore, OU’s fate tonight was saved by a very costly injury to Tech QB Bowman in the second half and his backup came close to giving Tech an upset win.
This team is not yet a top ten team.

I just don’t like the lack of defense of this team. I haven’t in over 5-6 years.
I don’t think that the way this team played tonight or against Texas merits a top ten ranking. Had this team tonight played Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Michigan, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, Washington State, or West Virginia, I think they could have lost. Texas, Texas Tech and Army are not as talented as OU, but each gave OU a tough game.
Furthermore, OU’s fate tonight was saved by a very costly injury to Tech QB Bowman in the second half and his backup came close to giving Tech an upset win.

I would tend to agree with you on all points CT. Until Lincoln Riley supports his world class athletes notion, we are offense 9 and defense 2. Is it that difficult to get even a turnover anymore? It’s disgraceful.

Reactions: OUSOONER67

I agree with all of that, but just like last year, the offense alone makes this a top 5 team.

You know it was good to see Ruff make adjustments at halftime. There are bright spots. Not many but they're there. I see lots of talent that needs to find its swag.

I agree with all of that, but just like last year, the offense alone makes this a top 5 team.

You know it was good to see Ruff make adjustments at halftime. There are bright spots. Not many but they're there. I see lots of talent that needs to find its swag.

I think once you lose confidence in the middle of the season then its very difficult to get it back. They make a few bad plays and it starts to get into their heads that they suck.

The defense had a bunch of stops at least four, including two three and outs to start the 2nd half.

Plus, the officiating was ATROCIOUS. Motely should have had an INT at the end of the 1st half! Instead, they get seven! And so many PIs on us in the endzone! They were cheap-shotting our guys the whole game!

I'm not saying were going to beat bama, or even that we belong the CFP.

I'm just saying that any win in that sh*t hole, where we have been screwed many times, is a good win.

I talked with a friend that lives in Vegas last night, I told him I was going to watch the game tonight and that its the first game I have been able to see since the texass game because of work. We never really talk football at all and have never talked about OU much except he might ask who OU is playing a given weekend, he is more of an NFL fan. Anyway he texted me a few mins ago and he said he watched the game and the OU tackling was horrible. Then I told him what has been going on with them for a while now on that side of the ball.
The point here is he never watches OU play and did tonight to see my fav team and it was blatantly obvious to him what most but not all that post here are saying and have been saying for a long time.
Our defense is atrocious. Saddens me as an OU fan that this is what it has become.

Reactions: thatdude35
I talked with a friend that lives in Vegas last night, I told him I was going to watch the game tonight and that its the first game I have been able to see since the texass game because of work. We never really talk football at all and have never talked about OU much except he might ask who OU is playing a given weekend, he is more of an NFL fan. Anyway he texted me a few mins ago and he said he watched the game and the OU tackling was horrible. Then I told him what has been going on with them for a while now on that side of the ball.
The point here is he never watches OU play and did tonight to see my fav team and it was blatantly obvious to him what most but not all that post here are saying and have been saying for a long time.
Our defense is atrocious. Saddens me as an OU fan that this is what it has become.

Tackling wasn’t worse than the coverage not on Tre Browns side. The defense wasn’t bad when we had Gallimore, Perkins, Bledsoe, and Redmond in. Hopefully Ruffin realizes they get the most pressure.

I think once you lose confidence in the middle of the season then its very difficult to get it back. They make a few bad plays and it starts to get into their heads that they suck.

Oh yeah and it's why Mike had to go in the middle of the season. Motley is quickly becoming Jordan Thomas 2.0. It's a tragedy these guys go through. They lose confidence because they watch receivers make easy reception after easy reception on them because they're being aligned 10 yards off them. The coaches are at fault. They lose confidence then comes the deep ball and they panic causing them to get beat or interfere.

IMO, I think Motley is the guy we saw last year. He's good. Brown is good and confident. Bookie has confidence. Barnes is good.

The coaches need to accept that these guys are going to get beat from time to time and LET THEM GO PLAY!!!!!

The problem is not that OU is not a top ten team. We aren't. But, there are only two teams that I have seen that merit being in the top ten: Bama and Clemson. If you watch the rest of the top twenty, you would think that Mike Stoops coaches at all of them. Ohio State struggled to beat Nebraska because they couldn't run against a powder puff team. Everyone was missing tackles and taking the wrong angles. Nobody can catch a pass, much less throw a ball near a receiver. Bama and Clemson are tough and well-coached. I think we might win a round-robin against the rest of the top twenty, no worse than fourth.

We put our corners on an island. Then, we don't get a pass rush to help them out. You can't survive twenty seconds of single coverage. Need a rush. I'm more concerned with the angles taken that allow runners to get eight when they should lose five. We can't run to the right place to tackle anyone.

Tech was staying with our deep receivers. Needed to throw short to get them up. Deep passes only work when they are covering short or the run.

The announcers made a point that Bedenbaugh liked aggressive offensive linemen, fit his personality. Ever heard of an offensive line coach who didn't think of total discipline for his linemen? If they have a temper, they should be on defense.

ECU fan here who loves Lincoln and Ruff. Looks like the Personal Foul penalties followed them to Oklahoma. At ECU we had a huge problem with discipline and players taking absolutely boneheaded personal foul calls. Ruff is a great Father Figure but sometimes lets the kids get away with murder and loves them up too much instead of putting a foot up their butt.
Lincoln has come a long way from being a 26 year old OC at ECU. He can light up a scoreboard and yes drive fans crazy with play calling especially throwing the ball instead of running. He will always use short passes as a run option. He has way more talent at his disposal at OU so it is fun to see how has grown in such a short period.

Good luck the rest of the season. I know most ECU fans are pulling for Oklahoma to make the playoffs and win

Riley needs to get all over Lamb. A player can’t lose composure like that. Lamb just wiped out an OU touchdown with two fouls

That’s the only real concern I’ve got about Riley. I haven’t seen him get too excited when a player does this stuff, so he can’t expect a disciplined team. He’s young but that’s no excuse. Can you imagine what Saban would have done with Lamb and Ford today?

Sooners are also dependent on one player for success. Without Murray

Those second half adjustments were significantly helped by Bowman's absence. Texas Tech was not the same after he went down during second half warmups.

I do not see the secondary playing better until OU can create consistent pass rushing on the quarterback. Bowman was never harassed and Duffy was only harassed 2-3 times.
I believe there is genuinely good talent in OU's secondary......but it's talent that will never be realized until there is more pressure on the QB. The best secondary there is can't defend well in the absence of a pass rush by the DL. Watching OU defending a pass is like watching a turkey shoot.

Reactions: sooners49
ECU fan here who loves Lincoln and Ruff. Looks like the Personal Foul penalties followed them to Oklahoma. At ECU we had a huge problem with discipline and players taking absolutely boneheaded personal foul calls. Ruff is a great Father Figure but sometimes lets the kids get away with murder and loves them up too much instead of putting a foot up their butt.
Thank you for this outside perspective. I think this confirms what we have been fearing: While LR and Ruff may be great recruiters due to their "like-ability" factor with the young men, we saw the downside to that last night.

OU used to have another head coach who was well liked by his players, and who's tenure was marked by undisciplined play and tons of penalties. I'm sure nobody wants a repeat of that regime.

LR needs to instill the philosophy of Patrick Swayze's character Dalton in the movie Roadhouse: Be nice. To quote:
"If somebody gets in your face and calls you a cocksucker, I want you to be nice."
Currently, our guys are getting baited with extra pushes, words, guys standing over the top of them, anything to get in our heads. And our guys are taking the bait like a largemouth bass hitting a worm.

This may sound ridiculous but they may need to practice this. Clearly them being told to knock if off isn't working. Literally work on "ignoring shit talk and other tactics to incite your anger" in practice. It may be what is needed to get them "Being Nice" in response.

What about Murray's 20/35, 360 yards and 3 TD's?
I think he was, and likely a bunch of us were, a little bitter about those 2 bonehead INTs that put us in a 14 point hole and set the tone for the entire game. Plus, he had a ton of incompletions that we're not used to seeing (which I attributed to play calling, not Kyler). Yes, we have a steamroller offense, passing and running -- last night we just had some passing hiccups we're not used to seeing, that almost cost us the game.

I think he was, and likely a bunch of us were, a little bitter about those 2 bonehead INTs that put us in a 14 point hole and set the tone for the entire game. Plus, he had a ton of incompletions that we're not used to seeing (which I attributed to play calling, not Kyler). Yes, we have a steamroller offense, passing and running -- last night we just had some passing hiccups we're not used to seeing, that almost cost us the game.
I watched the replay of th second int and Kyler was throwing to CEEDEE it looked a little high but with a good jump CeeDee could have caught it, since CeeDee didn’t try it went straight to the safety 15 yards
Back.....Brown couldn’t run so why they tried to throw long to him several times IDK....the fullback helped but also dropped a pass....the ONLY consistent thing we had was the run game ...is that better?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT