ADVERTISEMENT

Sooo...about those top defenses (Long)

MiccoMacey

Sooner starter
Sep 21, 2002
These are the rankings for Scoring Offenses each team in the top five have played. I added Georgia, but left out Auburn as they have two losses and a much longer shot to make the playoffs. If necessary, I can go back and add them.

Alabama
Florida State.............121
Fresno State...............61
Colorado State............35
Vanderbilt..................98
Ole Miss.....................31
Texas A&M.................41
Arkansas....................70
Tennessee................116
LSU...........................83
Mississippi State..........37

Clemson
Kent State................128
Auburn.......................19
Louisville....................22
Boston College...........103
Virginia Tech...............46
Wake Forest................28
Syracuse....................54
Georgia Tech..............47
NC State....................49

Miami
Bethune-Cookman......94 - (DIAA)
Toledo.......................25
Duke.......................100
North Carolina...........105
Notre Dame................14

OU
UTEP........................129
Ohio State....................5
Tulane........................76
Baylor........................85
Iowa State..................45
Texas.........................57
Kansas State...............42
Texas Tech..................13
Oklahoma State.............2
TCU............................30

Georgia
App State...................52
Samford.....................41 (DIIA)
Miss State..................37
Missouri.....................16
Florida.....................115
South Carolina............93
Auburn......................19

Wisconsin
Utah State..................57
Florida Atlantic............10
BYU.........................122
Northwestern..............75
Nebraska....................90
Purdue.....................100
Maryland.....................70
Illinois......................123
Indiana......................85
Iowa..........................80

Alabama hasn't faced a top 30 offense this year. Not one. They haven't faced the top three SEC offenses either, although they will face #19 Auburn next week. It will be, by far, the best offensive team they face all year.

Clemson has faced some good to very good offenses, so I give it up to them. I can see why the CFP Committee likes their defense. All teams have played a horrible team or two, but they've played seven offenses that are in the top half of the NCAA.

Miami's rankings are built on four teams that are either in the bottom 100 or a horrible DIIA team. Four out of nine games played. Toledo looks like the best offense they've faced. Notre Dame has a higher ranking, but they are 108th in passing. They can only run, and Miami exposed them for that. This is something I guarantee the committee has not looked at. They see the turnover chains and get all giddy.

OU has faced three top 15 teams in scoring, and two in the top five. This is not a defense of Mike Stoops, because he's clearly shown he can't consistently defend a spread team. But like Clemson, we've faced seven teams that are in the top half of the NCAA in scoring, and four in the top 30.

Georgia has played half of their games against teams who are either in the bottom 90 in scoring or a DIIA team. But they've also played three teams in the top 20, and gave up 19, 28 and 40 to those teams. One of those was Notre Dame, who, again, cannot throw a forward pass to save its life. Against a team who can both run and pass equally (Auburn), they gave up 40.

Wisconsin...giggle. NINE of their ten games are against teams in the bottom half of the NCAA in scoring, including SIX in the bottom 80. Anyone giving Wisconsin ANY credit for defense is either on drugs, or needs to be.

Again, this is not to pimp OU's defense. But it does shed a little light on which teams have played even decent offenses and which ones haven't. I think, besides the eye test, you do need to look at who they've played when discussing defenses.

That's a nice argument but does anyone think OU defense is any good? They have been lit up just by Okielite 6 times for over 30 yards. When Lampkin and Gallimore are both playing, together, OU defense does improve. But when Mike Stoops runs a 4 man front and has Kelley as his fourth, we absolutely suck.

That's a nice argument but does anyone think OU defense is any good? They have been lit up just by Okielite 6 times for over 30 yards. When Lampkin and Gallimore are both playing, together, OU defense does improve. But when Mike Stoops runs a 4 man front and has Kelley as his fourth, we absolutely suck.
No doubt, like I said this wasn’t to pimp Mike Stoops. My intent was to show that OU, on top of Mike Stoops’ inabilities, has played more offensive powered teams than some others who are being lauded for their defense against a bunch of crappy offenses.

Also, I recognize these are just stats, and there is more to assessing something than just looking at the stats. The eye test is also a pretty good measure sometimes, although much more subjective. So I get it when people just say “Watch them”.

It is very difficult to judge week in and week out based on opponents. Too many variables to justify (key injuries, playing conditions, home/road etc.). Overall I do agree with you, Alabama's opponents do not compare to our offenses (B12). I think the best argument on top defenses at this point that I have heard is who is putting the most defensive players in the NFL. Alabama and now Clemson are NFL factories. Does not make them unbeatable, but Clemson and Bama set the standard on most Saturday's on defense. Auburn looked good this past week as well, but agree they may be too far outside looking in but the committee loves them some SEC, so if they take out Bama they may just give them the trophy on the spot.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Micco, that's some good stuff. Stats aren't everything, they just document everything. ;) I'm not sure about our defense playing those team's offenses you've identified, but I do think that Baker & Co can handle the defenses you've spotlighted.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Good job. I am a firm believer that the style of offense you play also leads to better defensive stats. If you have an offense that is ball control you will limit the other teams offensive possessions. This leads to better defensive stats for your team.

Good work. And for all the legitimate criticism of Mike, the two games the D had to get it done with OU in the spotlight playing top 10 teams, Ohio State and TCU, it did. Not just beat WVU and see who we play on Dec. 2.

Reactions: iasooner1
These are the rankings for Scoring Offenses each team in the top five have played. I added Georgia, but left out Auburn as they have two losses and a much longer shot to make the playoffs. If necessary, I can go back and add them.

Alabama
Fresno State...............61
Colorado State............35
Ole Miss.....................31
Texas A&M.................41
Arkansas....................70
LSU...........................83
Mississippi State..........37

Clemson
Kent State................128
Auburn.......................19
Louisville....................22
Boston College...........103
Wake Forest................28
NC State....................49

Miami
Bethune-Cookman......94 - (DIAA)
Toledo.......................25
Duke.......................100
North Carolina...........105

OU
UTEP........................129
Ohio State....................5
Tulane........................76
Baylor........................85
Iowa State..................45
Texas.........................57
Kansas State...............42
Texas Tech..................13
Oklahoma State.............2
TCU............................30

Georgia
App State...................52
Samford.....................41 (DIIA)
Miss State..................37
Missouri.....................16
Florida.....................115
South Carolina............93
Auburn......................19

Wisconsin
Utah State..................57
Florida Atlantic............10
BYU.........................122
Northwestern..............75
Nebraska....................90
Purdue.....................100
Maryland.....................70
Illinois......................123
Indiana......................85
Iowa..........................80

Alabama hasn't faced a top 30 offense this year. Not one. They haven't faced the top three SEC offenses either, although they will face #19 Auburn next week. It will be, by far, the best offensive team they face all year.

Clemson has faced some good to very good offenses, so I give it up to them. I can see why the CFP Committee likes their defense. All teams have played a horrible team or two, but they've played seven offenses that are in the top half of the NCAA.

Miami's rankings are built on four teams that are either in the bottom 100 or a horrible DIIA team. Four out of nine games played. Toledo looks like the best offense they've faced. Notre Dame has a higher ranking, but they are 108th in passing. They can only run, and Miami exposed them for that. This is something I guarantee the committee has not looked at. They see the turnover chains and get all giddy.

OU has faced three top 15 teams in scoring, and two in the top five. This is not a defense of Mike Stoops, because he's clearly shown he can't consistently defend a spread team. But like Clemson, we've faced seven teams that are in the top half of the NCAA in scoring, and four in the top 30.

Georgia has played half of their games against teams who are either in the bottom 90 in scoring or a DIIA team. But they've also played three teams in the top 20, and gave up 19, 28 and 40 to those teams. One of those was Notre Dame, who, again, cannot throw a forward pass to save its life. Against a team who can both run and pass equally (Auburn), they gave up 40.

Wisconsin...giggle. NINE of their ten games are against teams in the bottom half of the NCAA in scoring, including SIX in the bottom 80. Anyone giving Wisconsin ANY credit for defense is either on drugs, or needs to be.

Again, this is not to pimp OU's defense. But it does shed a little light on which teams have played even decent offenses and which ones haven't. I think, besides the eye test, you do need to look at who they've played when discussing defenses.

Micco, you need to figure the average for each of the schools and then see that Joel Klatt gets a copy of it.

Micco, I just did the averages for you and then compared each of the teams versus OU. Here are the numbers.

OU 48.3
Georgia 60.1
Clemson 61.7
Miami 67.3
Bama 69.3
Wisconsin 81.2

So, OU played offenses much higher rated than any of the teams being considered.

Micco, you need to figure the average for each of the schools and then see that Joel Klatt gets a copy of it.
I really thought about doing that, but I thought it loses some luster by averaging the scores.

Playing teams ranked 1,2,3,118,119,120 average out to 60.5.
Playing teams ranked 58,59,60,61,62,63 average out to 60.5

They average out the same, but obviously playing the top three teams and the bottom three teams is much more difficult than playing the six middle of the road teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT