ADVERTISEMENT

So who will be in and who gets screwed by the CFPC?

People can disagree on this. I don't think there was any conspiracy. The committee watched, along with millions of people, the train wreck that was the ACC championship game against a slightly above average Louisville team. Tied 3-3 in the 3rd quarter, FSU went on to squeak out a narrow win. FSU completed 8 out of 21 passes for 51 yards in that game. Was it a courageous, gutsy win? Of course it was.

The problem is not so much the injury to Travis, but it is apparent that FSU does not have a quality backup quarterback. Right now, FSU has half a team. An elite defense, and an offense that looks like OU with Davis Beville playing quarterback for OU last year when Gabriel got injured. They don't even have a serviceable backup QB, much less a Jalen Hurts to come off the bench when Tua got injured. If you think they struggled against a pedestrian Louisville team, they might not even score without Travis against Michigan, Texas or Alabama.

It was the perfect storm, when Alabama won the SEC championship by beating a team that had not lost and been ranked #1 for two years. The way Texas annihilated Oklahoma State in the Big 12 championship also painted a stark contrast. There were four slots available for five conference champions, and the committee followed their protocol and selected the four best teams. Not the four "most deserving" teams, which contrary to popular belief is not in the guidelines.
Sorry just not seeing that as being a reason to eliminate them when they haven't used that as an excuse before. I also think it should be the 4 best. FSU was in their 4 best what, for 2 weeks after their QB was hurt? Now all of a sudden they aren't one of the 4 best because 1 player is hurt? Teams have won Championships before with more than 1 player out why can't ome do it now? Maybe FSU wins 13-2 like OU did vs them in 2000.
The games are played on the field not on paper, who knows who is going to beat who and by how much? Not me, not a committee, not you or anyone else. If you or anyone else can tell me we who will win and by how much we will all be Zillionaires by placing wagers on games.
I don't think its a Conspiracy, I think FSU was robbed and thats just the way that I and a lot of other people see it. It just plain stinks.

People can disagree on this. I don't think there was any conspiracy. The committee watched, along with millions of people, the train wreck that was the ACC championship game against a slightly above average Louisville team. Tied 3-3 in the 3rd quarter, FSU went on to squeak out a narrow win. FSU completed 8 out of 21 passes for 51 yards in that game. Was it a courageous, gutsy win? Of course it was.

The problem is not so much the injury to Travis, but it is apparent that FSU does not have a quality backup quarterback. Right now, FSU has half a team. An elite defense, and an offense that looks like OU with Davis Beville playing quarterback for OU last year when Gabriel got injured. They don't even have a serviceable backup QB, much less a Jalen Hurts to come off the bench when Tua got injured. If you think they struggled against a pedestrian Louisville team, they might not even score without Travis against Michigan, Texas or Alabama.

It was the perfect storm, when Alabama won the SEC championship by beating a team that had not lost and been ranked #1 for two years. The way Texas annihilated Oklahoma State in the Big 12 championship also painted a stark contrast. There were four slots available for five conference champions, and the committee followed their protocol and selected the four best teams. Not the four "most deserving" teams, which contrary to popular belief is not in the guidelines.
So did you watch bama have to throw up a prayer on 4th and 30 against Auburn? Plus the QB that will be playing in the bowl games will not be the same QB. Rodemaker best Florida an SEC team in a rivalry game. I think Florida State and that defense could beat Texas.

I get where your coming from but do you really think they would have applied this same logic to Bama if it was them? We all know the answer to that. College Football has had many upsets despite opinionated views of “ They would have got blown out”. Imagine 2000 had they applied this logic of “ Offense is slogging down” to OU if this system existed. That offense was not the greatest over the final 3-4 games. 27-13, 12-7, 27-24. Hardley screamed what it was earlier in the year.

OU won with defense in those games. FSU defense just might have kept them in game. It is what it is, but playing games in your mind isnt always the same as what transpires on the field

Final spot should have come down to Tx-Bama. Bama ( SEC) should have been out. BTW I know in 2000 OU would have been in a 4 team playoff but just trying to make a point.

Last edited:
Screw FSU

Minus a starting QB late in the season - with no Cardale Jones in the wings - is unprecedented. Its the luck of the injury draw (which screwed OU with DeMarco Murray before the BCS with UF, even though we got in the game). Shit happens, but to put up only 55 yards passing is beyond the pale. Its just shows you how shitty the ACC is from top to bottom in that was FSU's opponent (that Plummer QB was almost as bad as FSU's Glenn, albeit against a much stouter D).

Frankly it was on Norvell to prepare a competent back-up and he did not show that, not even against #68 total D UF to close out the regular season. Everyone harps on the 3rd stringer only having thrown 4 passes all year; guess how many passes the 2nd string guy threw before they lost their starter? 7. They had half a dozen blow outs they could have spent developing the back up, but did not. And then the #2 proceeded to go 13-23. At home. Against North Alabama. And then 12-25 vs UF who, again, sucks on D at #68.

Norvell made his own bed, not the committee. Blame fate and the injury bug...and the lack of a contingency plan.

Reactions: LVPack
Screw FSU

Minus a starting QB late in the season - with no Cardale Jones in the wings - is unprecedented. Its the luck of the injury draw (which screwed OU with DeMarco Murray before the BCS with UF, even though we got in the game). Shit happens, but to put up only 55 yards passing is beyond the pale. Its just shows you how shitty the ACC is from top to bottom in that was FSU's opponent (that Plummer QB was almost as bad as FSU's Glenn, albeit against a much stouter D).

Frankly it was on Norvell to prepare a competent back-up and he did not show that, not even against #68 total D UF to close out the regular season. Everyone harps on the 3rd stringer only having thrown 4 passes all year; guess how many passes the 2nd string guy threw before they lost their starter? 7. They had half a dozen blow outs they could have spent developing the back up, but did not. And then the #2 proceeded to go 13-23. At home. Against North Alabama. And then 12-25 vs UF who, again, sucks on D at #68.

Norvell made his own bed, not the committee. Blame fate and the injury bug...and the lack of a contingency plan.
One thing is for sure, we all dissagree on this. Thats what makes CFB interesting

BTW I know in 2000 OU would have been in a 4 team playoff but just trying to make a point.

I get where your coming from but do you really think they would have applied this same logic to Bama if it was them? We all know the answer to that. College Football has had many upsets despite opinionated views of “ They would have got blown out”. Imagine 2000 had they applied this logic of “ Offense is slogging down” to OU if this system existed. That offense was not the greatest over the final 3-4 games. 27-13, 12-7, 27-24. Hardley screamed what it was earlier in the year.

OU won with defense in those games. FSU defense just might have kept them in game. It is what it is, but playing games in your mind isnt always the same as what transpires on the field

Final spot should have come down to Tx-Bama. Bama ( SEC) should have been out. BTW I know in 2000 OU would have been in a 4 team playoff but just trying to make a point.

FIrst, the committee wouldn't have to apply the same logic to Alabama if Milroe and Ty Simpson were injured, and they had to start 3rd string quarterback Tyler Buchner against Georgia in the SEC championship. Georgia would have won the game easily. Unfortunately, FSU got to play a pedestrian Louisville team in that abomination of an ACC championship, and they were able to grind out a narrow victory, in spite of 55 yards passing, and 3 points scored midway through the 3rd quarter.

Second, to your point, OU won a lot of games with defense in 2000, but they still had one of the best offenses in the country, and Josh Heupel at quarterback. He was the main reason they were able to beat a really, really good Kansas State team in the Big 12 championship game by 3 points. I don't think anyone is crazy enough to think that OU would have won that game with 3rd string quarterback Hunter Wall playing due to injuries.

Third, why hasn't the committee done this before? Because this is only the second time in history a potential playoff team has lost their star quarterback at the end of the season before the playoffs. However, in 2014, Ohio State PROVED that their offense was still clicking on all cylinders when Cardale Jones had to start for the injured JT Barrett. FSU didn't get left out of the playoff due to Travis' injury. They got left out because the performance of the backup quarterbacks has been poor. Like the train wreck in the ACC championship game. 8 out of 21 for 55 yards. Their offensive production has been cut in half since Travis went out. They are a shell of their former selves.

They don't have a Cardale Jones to come in for JT Daniels, or a Jalen Hurts to come in for Tua, or a Kyler Murray to come in for Baker Mayfield. Having a mediocre backup quarterback is slightly good enough to get by against a subpar Florida team or slightly above average Louisville team. Florida State's defense is elite; however, you can't win a game with half of a team against an elite team like Michigan, Texas, Alabama or Washington.

I am not taking one side or the other, but I expect Georgia to curb stomp Florida State. That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate how badly FSU feels about how this all went down, but if Georgia wins big you can bet the committee is going to say “we told you so”.

Reactions: iasooner2000
FIrst, the committee wouldn't have to apply the same logic to Alabama if Milroe and Ty Simpson were injured, and they had to start 3rd string quarterback Tyler Buchner against Georgia in the SEC championship. Georgia would have won the game easily. Unfortunately, FSU got to play a pedestrian Louisville team in that abomination of an ACC championship, and they were able to grind out a narrow victory, in spite of 55 yards passing, and 3 points scored midway through the 3rd quarter.

Second, to your point, OU won a lot of games with defense in 2000, but they still had one of the best offenses in the country, and Josh Heupel at quarterback. He was the main reason they were able to beat a really, really good Kansas State team in the Big 12 championship game by 3 points. I don't think anyone is crazy enough to think that OU would have won that game with 3rd string quarterback Hunter Wall playing due to injuries.

Third, why hasn't the committee done this before? Because this is only the second time in history a potential playoff team has lost their star quarterback at the end of the season before the playoffs. However, in 2014, Ohio State PROVED that their offense was still clicking on all cylinders when Cardale Jones had to start for the injured JT Barrett. FSU didn't get left out of the playoff due to Travis' injury. They got left out because the performance of the backup quarterbacks has been poor. Like the train wreck in the ACC championship game. 8 out of 21 for 55 yards. Their offensive production has been cut in half since Travis went out. They are a shell of their former selves.

They don't have a Cardale Jones to come in for JT Daniels, or a Jalen Hurts to come in for Tua, or a Kyler Murray to come in for Baker Mayfield. Having a mediocre backup quarterback is slightly good enough to get by against a subpar Florida team or slightly above average Louisville team. Florida State's defense is elite; however, you can't win a game with half of a team against an elite team like Michigan, Texas, Alabama or Washington.
I have told you this before but trust me I dont need history lessons from you. I’ve been around a long time.

You like playing the “ I know how a game would turn out” don’t you? Hate to break it to you but a great many games have caused people to go broke because they think they know how the game is going to go.

in the UGA scenario the advantage would certainly be UGA but unfortunately games aren’t played in a persons head. I use to do that but I learned a long time ago nothing is guaranteed.

I am not taking one side or the other, but I expect Georgia to curb stomp Florida State. That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate how badly FSU feels about how this all went down, but if Georgia wins big you can bet the committee is going to say “we told you so”.
UGA will be the favorite for sure but its really a lose lose for FSU. If they win, the “ We didnt want to be there” storyline will be the UGA reasons.

I am not taking one side or the other, but I expect Georgia to curb stomp Florida State. That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate how badly FSU feels about how this all went down, but if Georgia wins big you can bet the committee is going to say “we told you so.

Thats a double edged sword for sure. FSU wins it will be said because Georgia had a bunch of opt outs. Same is FSU loses.
Not sure how many from both of those teams will opt out. FSU has one WR that announced he is opting out.
A lot of talent on the Georgia roster so opt outs likely won't affect them as much.

I have told you this before but trust me I dont need history lessons from you. I’ve been around a long time.

You like playing the “ I know how a game would turn out” don’t you? Hate to break it to you but a great many games have caused people to go broke because they think they know how the game is going to go.

in the UGA scenario the advantage would certainly be UGA but unfortunately games aren’t played in a persons head. I use to do that but I learned a long time ago nothing is guaranteed.

It's all good. People can agree to disagree. However, there are a lot of people around the country who are spouting false information about what the committee "should have done". If people have a problem with the committee's protocols and guidelines, that's fine. That's where the anger should be directed, not at the actual committee members who followed those protocols and guidelines.

Florida State didn't get screwed by the committee. Florida State got screwed when Travis broke his ankle. There is just no way you can look at the current FSU squad and say that they are a top 4 team. Ewers from Texas got hurt and Texas averaged over 400 yards per game in the two games he was out. Travis got hurt and they averaged 222 yards per game without him, down from 451 yards per game when Travis was the same QB. Not the same team. Half the offensive output. And that's against a lower echelon SEC team and a pedestrian Louisville team.

It's all good. People can agree to disagree. However, there are a lot of people around the country who are spouting false information about what the committee "should have done". If people have a problem with the committee's protocols and guidelines, that's fine. That's where the anger should be directed, not at the actual committee members who followed those protocols and guidelines.

Florida State didn't get screwed by the committee. Florida State got screwed when Travis broke his ankle. There is just no way you can look at the current FSU squad and say that they are a top 4 team. Ewers from Texas got hurt and Texas averaged over 400 yards per game in the two games he was out. Travis got hurt and they averaged 222 yards per game without him, down from 451 yards per game when Travis was the same QB. Not the same team. Half the offensive output. And that's against a lower echelon SEC team and a pedestrian Louisville team.
A pedestrian Louisville team the Comm had at #10 before their game with FSU and a #13 ranked lower echelon LSU team. Smh.
No matter how its explained away it still stinks.

A pedestrian Louisville team the Comm had at #10 before their game with FSU and a #13 ranked lower echelon LSU team. Smh.
No matter how its explained away it still stinks.

The lower echelon SEC team I was referring to was Florida, who finished with a losing record and didn't even make it to a bowl game. As for Louisville, it doesn't matter what they were ranked before. They turned out to be slightly above average, and the ACC is a garbage conference this year. That's not the committee's fault. Hell, Florida State should play undefeated Liberty in a bowl game, and the winner can make their own national championship banner.

The lower echelon SEC team I was referring to was Florida, who finished with a losing record and didn't even make it to a bowl game. As for Louisville, it doesn't matter what they were ranked before. They turned out to be slightly above average, and the ACC is a garbage conference this year. That's not the committee's fault. Hell, Florida State should play undefeated Liberty in a bowl game, and the winner can make their own national championship banner.

If the ACC is a garbage conference as you say then the Lil 12 must be a ghetto conference. The Comm hasn't been high on the Lil 12 until the last week. The same Comm that has Ole Miss, Penn St and Missouri ahead of OU that plays in the Lil 12.
Its a joke.

If the ACC is a garbage conference as you say then the Lil 12 must be a ghetto conference. The Comm hasn't been high on the Lil 12 until the last week.
Its a joke.

Well, I'd say the proof is in the pudding. Clemson, North Carolina and Miami were all hyped as "top 10" caliber teams, and none of them finished above .500 in the ACC. Hell, Georgia Tech came in 4th place in that conference ahead of all of them. The ACC, by far, was the worst "Power Five" conference this year. It's unfortunate that resulted in FSU's 54th strength of schedule compared to Alabama's 5th.

Last edited:
If the ACC is a garbage conference as you say then the Lil 12 must be a ghetto conference. The Comm hasn't been high on the Lil 12 until the last week. The same Comm that has Ole Miss, Penn St and Missouri ahead of OU that plays in the Lil 12.
Its a joke.
All I know is the Commissioner of the CFP is from the ACC (Athletic Director at NC State) and FSU didn't make it. If it were politics of some sort, I would think FSU would have definitely made it.

Reactions: LVPack
All I know is the Commissioner of the CFP is from the ACC (Athletic Director at NC State) and FSU didn't make it. If it were politics of some sort, I would think FSU would have definitely made it.

There is one AD from an SEC school, Kentucky. The others are from NC State, Michigan, Nevada and Navy. One of the former head coaches on the committee coached at Wake Forest (another ACC team.) Yet, somehow people are convinced there is some sort of nefarious cabal that conspired to put an SEC team in and hose Florida State.

Reactions: Deweygolfer
Louisville was pretty damn good. They beat an ND team that should have beaten Ohio State if their coach could have figured out how to get 11 guys on the field for the last two plays of the game. And they beat ND soundly. They were way above average. And the Noles beat them for the conference title.

By contrast, Bama was enormously lucky to beat a horrible Auburn team the week before the CCG. Auburn last to New Mexico State, also at Auburn by three touchdowns the week before they played Bama. The SEC was down this year more than a little.

Louisville was pretty damn good. They beat an ND team that should have beaten Ohio State if their coach could have figured out how to get 11 guys on the field for the last two plays of the game. And they beat ND soundly. They were way above average. And the Noles beat them for the conference title.

By contrast, Bama was enormously lucky to beat a horrible Auburn team the week before the CCG. Auburn last to New Mexico State, also at Auburn by three touchdowns the week before they played Bama. The SEC was down this year more than a little.
I agree with you that Bama got enormously lucky, but I disagree with you that Louisville was pretty damn good. The ACC wasn't a strong conference this year in my opinion.

Bama also barely beat a 4-8 Arky team by 3 points. Struggled with South Florida 17-3, it was 3-3 at halftime. But they did beat Juggernaut Chattanooga 66-10.

Bama also barely beat a 4-8 Arky team by 3 points. Struggled with South Florida 17-3, it was 3-3 at halftime. But they did beat Juggernaut Chattanooga 66-10.
Makes you wonder if Auburn had won, then 2 loss Bama beats UGA anyway, would they have still dropped FSU out and placed UGA at 4 despite losing.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
In the end some of us just have different opinions on the committee selection process. I just want the human factor gone. I dont trust them and never have from the beginning of this system.
I agree with you. In this day and age there is zero reason to have a human factor in determining the playoff.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
In the end some of us just have different opinions on the committee selection process. I just want the human factor gone. I dont trust them and never have from the beginning of this system.

That's fair game, and where the anger should be directed, at the written bylaws, guidelines and protocols (which by the way were written by the CONFERENCE COMMISSIONERS). Including the portion that says the committee can evaluate key injuries that impact a team's performance.

However, don't blast the individual committee members who followed those bylaws, guidelines and protocols in placing the four teams. They were not "out to get FSU", or bought and paid for by ESPN and the SEC.

That's fair game, and where the anger should be directed, at the written bylaws, guidelines and protocols (which by the way were written by the CONFERENCE COMMISSIONERS). Including the portion that says the committee can evaluate key injuries that impact a team's performance.

However, don't blast the individual committee members who followed those bylaws, guidelines and protocols in placing the four teams. They were not "out to get FSU", or bought and paid for by ESPN and the SEC.
I think the committee deserves every bit of the anger being tossed its way. If the committee has nothing to hide then they should have no issues showing the public how they voted in that room. Better yet open the process to at least a handful of reporters to sit in on the process and let them report on it or allow those interested to openly view how they actually debate teams.

They do that and there would be less doubts about that committee. Right now its a closed door process and that is where the problem lies. I find it funny that this committee in the past has put Alabama and Ohio St in the playoffs without even playing in its CCG ( yes it worked out for them by both winning NC ) but punish a team that actually won its conf and ran the table because of the perceived belief they couldnt possibly be competitive without its QB. Like it or not speculation has no part in who should make the playoffs.

You may like the system but I dont.

I think the committee deserves every bit of the anger being tossed its way. If the committee has nothing to hide then they should have no issues showing the public how they voted in that room.

Once again, that's not what I was talking about.

The CFP committee members are selected by the CONFERENCE COMMISSIONERS. They are not permanent positions, and they rotate every two to four years. The committee members have no authority do anything as far as opening up the room to show how they're voting or anything else pertaining to the selection process. That would have to be done by the people who appoint them, being the CONFERENCE COMMISSIONERS.

If you want to blast someone, blast the CONFERENCE COMMISSIONERS who wrote the bylaws, protocols and proceedures. They are the ones that would have to change the criteria or allow cameras into the room or specify how each member voted. The committee members have no authority to do that, regardless of how many of you "think" they should have done this or that.

Last edited:
Once again, that's not what I was talking about.

The CFP committee members are selected by the CONFERENCE COMMISSIONERS. They are not permanent positions, and they rotate every two to four years. The committee members have no authority do anything as far as opening up the room to show how they're voting or anything else pertaining to the selection process. That would have to be done by the people who appoint them, being the CONFERENCE COMMISSIONERS.

If you want to blast someone, blast the CONFERENCE COMMISSIONERS who wrote the bylaws, protocols and proceedures. They are the ones that would have to change the criteria or allow cameras into the room or specify how each member voted. The committee members have no authority to do that, regardless of how many of you "think" they should have done this or that.
So tell me LV, are you a fan of humans deciding teams fates? I am also aware that they rotate every two years.

My anger is about the system and how the whole thing is set up. The powers that be need to quit being so secretive to the public. Heck even the coaches poll reveal how they voted at seasons end.

If you or anyone believes the crap that comes out of the commitee chairmans mouth then I dont know what else can be said.

Last edited:
LV

BTW this committee your defending took a different path between SMU and Liberty. Liberty played the worse schedule in CFB while SMU had a better resume. However they chose Liberty for the NY6 because “ They were undefeated”. Do you really think Liberty would beat SMU? I dont but yet I understand Liberty is unbeaten.

Just more moving of the goal post in that room.

Just one more thing LV then I am done. There is no “ I am right - You are wrong” answer to this between fans. Either your on one side of the fence or the other. So in other words we just have opposite opinions on FSU and this committee.

LV

BTW this committee your defending took a different path between SMU and Liberty.

I’m not defending anything. I have just as many problems with the CFP protocols and selection process as anyone. I’ll try one more time to explain my position, which apparently keeps going over everyone’s head.

The current CFP committee members and chairman do not have the authority to do anything or make any of the changes people are complaining about. They are appointed positions, and are only there to follow the format, guidelines and procedures that were not written by them nor implemented by them. They have no authority to open up the voting to TV cameras or change the data points they use to evaluate the teams. It would be like going up to a cashier at Walmart and demand that he change the store’s business hours. That would have to be done by the people who hired him, not by the cashier.

Last edited:
I’m not defending anything. I have just as many problems with the CFP protocols and selection process as anyone. I’ll try one more time to explain my position, which apparently keeps going over everyone’s head.

The current CFP committee members and chairman do not have the authority to do anything or make any of the changes people are complaining about. They are appointed positions, and are only there to follow the format, guidelines and procedures that were not written by them nor implemented by them. They have no authority to open up the voting to TV cameras or change the data points they use to evaluate the teams. It would be like going up to a cashier at Walmart and demand that he change the store’s business hours. That would have to be done by the people who hired him, not by the cashier.
Fair enough. We are all aware that they are appointed by a commission. You would think that those in power though would understand the need for transparency. That is what creates the lack of trust among many fans and likely even among the coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT