ADVERTISEMENT

Sooner Talk - Part II

kcstorm06

Sooner starter
Aug 31, 2006
Overland Park KS
With the departure of Kenneth Murray...this leaves some questions about LB corps. Who do you see lined up as the season progresses? Grinch seems to stick with a core group, and this had some attrition impacts off season. Depth challenged...

ILB Returning are:
Kelly
Ugwoegbu
White
Asamoah
Mead
Barnes has moved from safety to LB
OLB's returning are:
Bonitto
Terry
Wete
Freshman are:
Walker, decomitted from Ok-State
Whittier, a 4-star recruit by 247sports from North Carolina

So that's 11 linebackers according to Soonersports.
Bonitto, White and Ugwoegbu had some good moments in 2019 and Barnes will be interesting to follow having moved from safety.
Still waiting for Kelly to emerge as the player he was recruited to be. Same goes for Terry.
Wete at 6'4" 222 lbs was recruited as a DE but is now listed as an OLB.

Reactions: iasooner1
Asamoah had some brilliant plays, but did not show much consistency. He is fast on the rush. Bonitto played great, and Terry was just turning corner and playing well...then bam he got hurt. Kelly needs to be the LB leader. We will see how things play out in Aug Camp which will be crunched if we go a week earlier against MO State.

White and Kelly will be the starters inside
Hopefully Asamoah provides depth

I imagine we see the same trio at rush-end
Ugwoegbu is the best pass rusher, Bonitto the best in coverage, JMT the best vs the run

I hope Kelly has his speed back. To me he looked understandably slow when he came back.

Asamoah had some brilliant plays, but did not show much consistency. He is fast on the rush. Bonitto played great, and Terry was just turning corner and playing well...then bam he got hurt. Kelly needs to be the LB leader. We will see how things play out in Aug Camp which will be crunched if we go a week earlier against MO State.
Agree about Asamoah, he seems to have good speed etc but did appear inconsistent when I saw him in there. He’s young so hopefully he’s catching on and can make a bigger contribution.

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT