ADVERTISEMENT

Rattler is done

Let's say Rattler did go "snowflake" and transfer...don't we have a backup QB from Penn State that we got from the portal? If so, you can bet that PSU wishes they had him on Saturday.

Reactions: iasooner2000
If Rattler leaves at year's end, who backs up Williams next year ?
Rucker, Bowens, Schafer, Harris, Jones ?
So far, there's no QB committed for the 2022 class and Malichi Nelson comes in 2023.
My guess is that Ralph Rucker could be the backup as he's listed third on the depth chart.

Reactions: Belldozer1
OU has won 5 of its first 6 games in very close games and mauled a dwarf throwing oponent in Western Carolina 76-0. The combined W/L record of OU's opponents is 13-23, with KSU (3-2) and Texas (4-2) with winning records.
Regardless, I'm satisfied with how the season has gone so far, but I hope that the team I saw in the second half of the Texas game will be the team I will see from here on. And I believe that will happen if Caleb Williams starts because his presence generates an overall level of energy for every other player on the roster.
This team has talent from top to bottom and much of that talent still needs development. I see that happening with each game and I see a much improved team running the table and representing itself well in the post season.
In the future, OU needs to adhere to its Mayfield-Murray-Hurts-Williams quarterback philosophy in its recruiting.....but I wonder how a QB like Malachi Nelson (2023 class) will fit in as he's labeled a pro-style QB at 6'3" 185 lbs. His bio indicates he is also a very mobile QB who can make plays with his legs to go with his great passing skills, so my concern should be unwarranted. ( I do wonder, however, what Nelson may be thinking after watching the Texas game).
I'm not giving up on Rattler. I just want the events of last Saturday to motivate him and give him a more team-first attitude. Maybe a chat with Jalen Hurts is in order now.

I was thinking the same thing. Mayfield scrambled all over the place.

Mayfield had decent mobility, but he couldn't outrun a Fayetteville policeman who had an additional 30 pounds of equipment weighing him down.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
"Mayfield wasn't very mobile" ?
Really ?
really.........meaning he was not what you would consider a dual threat QB. He could move around a little and had a knack for getting away, but he was not fast. I consider mobile QB's to be Hurts, Murray, Jackson...etc.

really.........meaning he was not what you would consider a dual threat QB. He could move around a little and had a knack for getting away, but he was not fast. I consider mobile QB's to be Hurts, Murray, Jackson...etc.
You consider QB’s who can run like a running back as being mobile. Murray and Hurts were faster, but Mayfield’s running and scrambling were a big part of OU’s offense as well. All three could throw well on the run.

Baker was not a mobile QB, he did a decent job getting out of trouble but he was never a running threat. Kyler, Jalen and now Caleb, those are dual threat mobile guys.

No I'm not saying Baker was a statue but definitely not a dual threat.

I remember watch Rattler recruiting videos and in his basketball videos, the guy could move. He's added 25lbs, since joining OU, so maybe that's made him heavy footed.

You consider QB’s who can run like a running back as being mobile. Murray and Hurts were faster, but Mayfield’s running and scrambling were a big part of OU’s offense as well. All three could throw well on the run.
Are you saying Mayfield, a white QB, was fast and hard to tackle? Impossible

Baker was not a mobile QB, he did a decent job getting out of trouble but he was never a running threat. Kyler, Jalen and now Caleb, those are dual threat mobile guys.

No I'm not saying Baker was a statue but definitely not a dual threat.

I remember watch Rattler recruiting videos and in his basketball videos, the guy could move. He's added 25lbs, since joining OU, so maybe that's made him heavy footed.

Heavy arm too. 10 passing tds this season and 5 ints.

Reactions: 8085sooner
Whoa, as a beneficiary of being game fast, I will not stand by and let this go! Baker was/is as fast as he needs to be. His date with the cop that evening was necessary for long term growth :cool:

Hey even John Wayne had a few too many back in his day too. It happens to all of us, even JFW. 😁
But it still makes me wonder why JFW was in Fayetteville AR of all places. I have been there, its a craphole.

Are you saying Mayfield, a white QB, was fast and hard to tackle? Impossible
Evidently you didn’t see much of Mayfield’s career.
He routinely broke tackles especially when avoiding sacks. And he could plow ahead for yardage and touchdowns.
These abilities are not about being fast. They’re about being quick and shifty and simply taking what the defense would give him when his receivers were covered. Murray, Hurts and Williams are a different story because of their speed. And they are unique to any OU QB in history.
If Mayfield can’t be labeled a dual-action QB, he sure as hell was a mobile one. We are really comparing apples to oranges here between him and the three QBs that followed him.

In context of this thread, I'll stay with this definition of "mobile quarterback".

From the link:

What is a Mobile QB?

A mobile quarterback, very simply, is any quarterback that can consistently avoid pressure and extend plays with his legs, typically with the goal of passing the ball. This attribute does not require the quarterback to run a 4.4, 40-yard dash. Nor does it require a quarterback to be able to “break off” a 60-yard run. It simply means that he is adept enough and athletic enough to avoid the rush and extend plays momentarily. This definition seems to suggest that 90%+ of the quarterbacks in the NFL are mobile. The degree of their mobility is often the sticking point of debates.

Players who would fall into the mobile-only quarterback category are Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, Baker Mayfield, and Joe Burrow, to name a few.

I'm not saying that these players are not capable of breaking off a long run; I am simply saying that they primarily use their athleticism to extend plays to pass and not run. Additionally, offensive coordinators do not typically design running plays for these quarterbacks.

What is a Dual-Threat QB?

A dual-threat quarterback is a running quarterback. While a dual-threat quarterback is inherently mobile, his skillset takes mobility to another level. He is almost equally adept at running as he is passing. Remember, running and mobility are two different things. This quarterback type can run effectively (similar to a running back), and offensive coordinators will regularly design plays that utilized this specific trait of the quarterback. Additionally, defensive coordinators will game-plan against the quarterback’s running ability.

Quarterbacks who fall into this category are Cam Newton, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, and Kyler Murray, among others.

https://www.sodacoffee.com/a-dual-threat-quarterback-and-a-mobile-quarterback-are-not-the-same-20406

Sark's post game he mentioned the 50/50 balls that Caleb threw. That got me thinking when was the last time Rattler gave a tightly covered receiver a chance, maybe outside of back shoulder throws? I think Rattler is outside of his comfort zone down field while Caleb was throwing hail-Mims. Regardless, I agree with you. Rattler is not going to succeed without loosening up considerably to get the ball down the field. K-State he completed a 40 yarder but it was with Mims WIDE open.

Yeah, but I don't agree with the 50/50 assessment. When you have a 5 star receiver being covered one on one by anybody not named Honey Badger, you have to give your guy a chance to make a play. Odds are much better than 50% that your stud receiver makes the play. One one of those throws, I think it was 3rd and 19 and he threw a ball that Mims could adjust to and Mims made the catch. College DBs are terrible at looking back and finding the ball on those kind of throws - most of the interceptions you see are when the DB is facing the play and he breaks on the ball after reading the QB's eyes. You don't see many where they read the receivers eyes and turn around and find the ball. The TD pass at the pylon was thrown to a spot where only Mims could catch it. Marvin did a magnificent job of catching it with one foot down. That one may have been a 50/50, but not between the receiver and the DB. It was 50/50 between a catch and an incompletion. Having a QB willing to make those types of throws also makes the receivers lock in even more because they know that they're going to get some chances even in tight coverage.

Good post, Veritas.
I also believe that the OL finally came of age against Texas as it provided elite blocking for Brooks and Gray to shred and wear down the Texas front line.
Rattler did not get the same protection and the running game did not get the same blocking early on in this game or during the entire season, for whatever reason(s) we conjure up.
Caleb Williams' presence and sudden impact was a "Mister Hyde tonic" for OU, probably more so than Holieway's great debut in 1985....and Texas had no answer against him as Williams' presence wore out the defense, as the 35-10 score in the second half reflects.
If OU wins the National Championship this year, this game could arguably be one of OU's top 5 wins ever. It sure was one of the top 2 or 3 RRR games !

I really don't like starting a thread declaring that a player is "done", specially after that player's contributions in spite of his flaws. No one was chirping these sentiments after the Florida game, even with the Gators playing with some 15 players (and at least 5 big time talents) absent.
I think the best tact now is to stop the trashing and let Rattler's 2021 season play out. And again, who backs up Williams next year if Rattler is fairly or unfairly exiled ?

Yeah, but I don't agree with the 50/50 assessment. When you have a 5 star receiver being covered one on one by anybody not named Honey Badger, you have to give your guy a chance to make a play. Odds are much better than 50% that your stud receiver makes the play. One one of those throws, I think it was 3rd and 19 and he threw a ball that Mims could adjust to and Mims made the catch. College DBs are terrible at looking back and finding the ball on those kind of throws - most of the interceptions you see are when the DB is facing the play and he breaks on the ball after reading the QB's eyes. You don't see many where they read the receivers eyes and turn around and find the ball. The TD pass at the pylon was thrown to a spot where only Mims could catch it. Marvin did a magnificent job of catching it with one foot down. That one may have been a 50/50, but not between the receiver and the DB. It was 50/50 between a catch and an incompletion. Having a QB willing to make those types of throws also makes the receivers lock in even more because they know that they're going to get some chances even in tight coverage.
Yep totally agree. The term 50/50 is cliché but you got my point which was Rattler was unwilling to throw deep and give his one-on-one matchups a chance.

Reactions: veritas59
Yep totally agree. The term 50/50 is cliché but you got my point which was Rattler was unwilling to throw deep and give his one-on-one matchups a chance.
When a QB is not getting good protection, he can't throw deep if he can throw at all. Rattler was not given good blocking and had to throw short range passes, usually into tight coverage.

If Rattler leaves at year's end, who backs up Williams next year ?
Rucker, Bowens, Schafer, Harris, Jones ?
So far, there's no QB committed for the 2022 class and Malichi Nelson comes in 2023.
My guess is that Ralph Rucker could be the backup as he's listed third on the depth chart.
He was going to leave anyway. The only difference is now is how he leaves.

Reactions: Oklabama
This was sent to me by a friend.

Kirk Herbstret just on TV said his sources say SR is leaving to train for NFL.

BTW if true then quitting his team because things arent going right for him tells me a lot about his character.

Last edited:

BTW if true then quitting his team because things arent going right for him tells me a lot about his character.

His days are toast as a Sooner anyway. It's over at OU for him whether he stays or wshether he leaves. The risk/reward favors him leaving as he'll never be able to win over the fans. That will effect his play. He's be better served leaving. Granted it won't help OU but that's on Riley not SR.

Guys, it's in everyone's best interest to calm down. We need Spencer to stay for the rest of the year. He will grow and mature and start to make better decisions. I was at the game and saw the change in our team when we made the change. Our coaches saw that as well. I am sure our coaches read these messages. They will take that input and discuss it. Remember things were easy for him in HS.HE is not been in a situation like this. He has a lot on his mind. Give him some space and see what happens.

Guys, it's in everyone's best interest to calm down. We need Spencer to stay for the rest of the year. He will grow and mature and start to make better decisions. I was at the game and saw the change in our team when we made the change. Our coaches saw that as well. I am sure our coaches read these messages. They will take that input and discuss it. Remember things were easy for him in HS.HE is not been in a situation like this. He has a lot on his mind. Give him some space and see what happens.
I am all for this but honestly if Herbs sources are true then LR owes it to everyone to just come out and tell Sooner Nation. Wouldn’t you agree on that?

I seriously doubt the coaches read these messages. And or even care. And if they do read them, it is my hope that decisions of any type are not made because of what is posted. If so, we have more issues than Rattler.

Last edited:
Yeah, I say give him space to live large and count his NIL dinero. It'll run out right quick unless he pulls his head out of his ass and proves he's the baller Riley sold us on. His head isn't in the game from what I've seen so far this season. The sky ain't fallin though, not after what I saw when he got benched. 😉

You serious? Well in that case...hey Grinch our secondary sucks can you see about fixing it this weekend?

That "leave" date could easily be January 11th.

Reactions: Belldozer1
I blame NIL……the worst decision ever made.
I'm not so sure. I mean I'm sure it didn't help but he was projected as a great HS kid on the QB1 show but also as a prick to others, especially the back up QB on his HS team. It could have been editing, but I don't think so. I don't know the guy but it appears that he struggles w/ likability. On the big stage of OU football, as a starter and then the Heisman talk, people can see the real SR and it may not be as pretty as we thought. If he stays, I hope he doesn't continue to create distraction. At 6-0, this team has alot going for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT