ADVERTISEMENT

Rattler is done

That may be the case. I hope he recovers and goes on to do great things. This year's offense just seemed limited with him. Unsure if it was just the O-Line or if there were other things. It seems he regressed from his late season form last year. I hate it for him and the team but Caleb looks to play the part. We shall see.

I don't see how you can go back to Rattler as the starter. I don't hate the kid or anything, I just think Riley is going to go with Williams because he thinks he's the better option.

I think Rattler probably hits the portal at the end of they year.
Good grief I just went and watched Riley's post game and to be honest he seemed to be playing down the significance of Williams coming in and changing the course of the game. He made it a point to say that the 66 yard touchdown that Williams ran didn't have anything to do with his decision to keep Williams in the game, etc.. In my opinion Riley is a little bit like Stoops and that he can't fathom admitting that other people or even the folks in the press may be right about something. He kind of tried to play the victim to the press and He said we'll play better as we go one with both of them, whatever that means. Looked like he'd been crying or was holding back tears at the start of the interview, nothing new. When pressed and asked if Williams success had anything to do with the defense getting a spark and playing better, without hesitating Riley said no. He was trying to shut that down. Apparently Riley was watching a different game then I was..

Last edited:
Good grief I just went and watched Riley's post game and to be honest he seemed to be playing down the significance of Williams coming in and changing the course of the game. He made it a point to say that the 66 yard touchdown that Williams ran didn't have anything to do with his decision to keep Williams in the game, etc.. In my opinion Riley is a little bit like Stoops and that he can't fathom admitting that other people or even the folks in the press may be right about something. He kind of tried to play the victim to the press and He said we'll play better as we go one with both of them, whatever that means. Looked like he'd been crying or was holding back tears at the start of the interview, nothing new. When pressed and asked if Williams success had anything to do with the defense getting a spark and playing better, without hesitating Riley said no. He was trying to shut that down. Apparently Riley was watching a different game then I was..

I saw it too. My only thought is he didn't want to throw Rattler under the bus. But then you want to show this to Riley as he is talking. Give Caleb some props Riley!

FBUFlXBXIAAwbHY

I saw it too. My only thought is he didn't want to throw Rattler under the bus. But then you want to show this to Riley as he is talking. Give Caleb some props Riley!

FBUFlXBXIAAwbHY
Wow! What a difference. I about started laughing and then crying when he said he considered bringing Rattler back in for the final dive? I am convinced Riley is brain damaged from being at Tech and thinking that a win isn't truly a win unless you are scraping by at the end and escaping. Great win but I think he's butthurt that he's having to make a change that he knows needs to be made and the fans know is the right one too.

Wow! What a difference. I about started laughing and then crying when he said he considered bringing Rattler back in for the final dive? I am convinced Riley is brain damaged from being at Tech and thinking that a win isn't truly a win unless you are scraping by at the end and escaping. Great win but I think he's butthurt that he's having to make a change that he knows needs to be made and the fans know is the right one too.

For whatever reason Rattler's head was not in this game and Riley just about waited too long to make the switch at QB possibly because we heard Rattler and pretty much Riley said it too that they don't listen to what fans say when Rattler was booed and the fans chanted "We want Caleb" during the WV game. I think Riley didn't want Rattler to feel like he had turned on him too. But damn the team as a whole is more important than one players feelers. I really do believe that Riley would have taken a loss vs WV before he would have benched Rattler.

Something is going on with Rattler and we will likely never know but he just seems to be going through the motions. When Caleb came in the whole team looked and played different. There is a reason behind it but what? It wouldn't be the first time a squad favored one player to lead them over another. Maybe they have known that Caleb is the best QB on the team but Riley felt he owed Rattler something. Hell I don't know.

Last edited:
For whatever reason Rattler's head was not in this game and Riley just about waited too long to make the switch at QB possibly because we heard Rattler and pretty much Riley said it too that they don't listen to that fans say when Rattler was booed and the fans chanted "We want Caleb" during the WV game. I think Riley didn't want Rattler to feel like he had turned on him too. But damn the team as a whole is more important than one players feelers. I really do believe that Riley would have taken a loss vs WV before he would have benched Rattler.

Something is going on with Rattler and we will likely never know but he just seems to be going through the motions. When Caleb came in the whole team looked and played different. There is a reason behind it but what? It wouldn't be the first time a squad favored one player to lead them over another. Maybe they have known that Caleb is the best QB on the team but Riley felt he owed Rattler something. Hell I don't know.
Williams looked better in the Fall scrimmage. I've supported Rattler but Williams gives the best chance to win at this point.

...and Riley just about waited too long to make the switch at QB...

Riley should have had Williams in at least, two drives earlier. When he finally came in, we all were relieved, but thought too much damage had been done. That was a deep hole to climb out of, but Williams and HIS offense, and the defense, pulled it off. Riley's team saved Riley. Had the Sooners lost by a FG, Riley would have had his butt cooking on the rotisserie for the rest of the season. What a stunning performance.

Here is my favorite tweet of the day, from pregame...

Rattler still has an important role this season and what we should be happy about, aside from Caleb Williams' epic performance vs Texas, is the QB depth.
His flaws aside, how many teams would like a second string QB like Rattler ?
And who's to say yesterday's game won't inspire Rattler to play better ?
Caleb Williams is clearly the future at QB for OU, but I think Rattler's benching yesterday could be a positive thing.....as Rattler plays his final year at OU.

That's really interesting, thanks for posting.

Riley could be giving us a bunch of coach speak, and he might might be trying to protect Rattler a little bit.

I actually feel kind of bad for Spencer, because it's not his fault that the hype machine got so out of control. The expectations for him for this season were completely unreasonable. I think he was set up to fail.

Also, he has to be feeling like he's lost millions and millions of dollars based on how far his draft stock as fallen since the beginning of the season. All of this for a 20-year-old kid.

He's got the talent, and if he puts in the work, he can play on Sundays. I hope he finds a way to make it happen.

There are over positive and over negative ways of handling situations such as this. You have people directly involved with the pluses and minuses of the events. You manage a team. The best way to keep the team in good order is to publicly stay right down the middle and then address each individual separately. Why would he throw his opinions out at this point? Project Management: Human Relations 101.

Rattler still has an important role this season and what we should be happy about, aside from Caleb Williams' epic performance vs Texas, is the QB depth.
His flaws aside, how many teams would like a second string QB like Rattler ?
And who's to say yesterday's game won't inspire Rattler to play better ?
Caleb Williams is clearly the future at QB for OU, but I think Rattler's benching yesterday could be a positive thing.....as Rattler plays his final year at OU.
If the reports are true, Rattler is a cancer. It sounds like he is a Terrell Owens type. I hear you on the need for depth. Especially with a running QB like Williams. Just saying Rattler could cause more problems than he is worth.

I bet he starts next week. This same thing happened last year

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Rattler trot out the first offensive series. Riley is unpredictable sometimes. He obviously wasn’t comfortable discussing the move after the game. Hopefully he can come to terms with the right decision. I understand it’s a tough call but TCU needs to play against our best.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Rattler trot out the first offensive series. Riley is unpredictable sometimes. He obviously wasn’t comfortable discussing the move after the game. Hopefully he can come to terms with the right decision. I understand it’s a tough call but TCU needs to play against our best.
Dont count on CW getting the start. Here is a recent tweet from Blevins.

Reactions: LikeClicker3000
I know one thing....if Rattler trots out there for the first series the whole stadium will be booing.
I doubt they boo if that happens but the first time a drive stalls or he turns the ball over all bets are off. The real question for me is he really going to let them actually compete ( looks to me like the Texas game already made that decision easy ) or has he already decided he was going to give Rattler another shot.

I know one thing....if Rattler trots out there for the first series the whole stadium will be booing.
That would be unfair as Rattler played last year with a supporting cast that included Humphrey, Stevenson, Rambo, McGowan, Major, Henderson, Ealy, Pledger and now has played behind an offensive line that hasn’t come together just yet and a severely depleted RB corps.
It’s sad how some are now wanting Rattler gone and to fail in the wake of Williams’ Cinderella performance vs Texas.

I doubt they boo if that happens but the first time a drive stalls or he turns the ball over all bets are off. The real question for me is he really going to let them actually compete ( looks to me like the Texas game already made that decision easy ) or has he already decided he was going to give Rattler another shot.
Well I'm not saying I'm in favor of anyone booing, but I can't see it going any other way. People are going to go crazy if Rattler is still the starter.

That would be unfair as Rattler played last year with a supporting cast that included Humphrey, Stevenson, Rambo, McGowan, Major, Henderson, Ealy, Pledger and now has played behind an offensive line that hasn’t come together just yet and a severely depleted RB corps.
It’s sad how some are now wanting Rattler gone and to fail in the wake of Williams’ Cinderella performance vs Texas.
The game ain't gonna slow down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT