ADVERTISEMENT

Rattler is done

The biggest question, which cannot be answered outside the locker room, is whether Rattler has this team's confidence and trust now. Williams certainly does. I was sitting at the 50 yard line 23 rows up on the OU side of the Cotton Bowl. Williams had a completely different chemistry with this team coming off the field and standing on the sidelines while the D did their thing. Rattler separated himself on the bench with towel over his head. Does Rattler have the leadership skills to stand in front of this team and be a team player rather than an NIL poster boy. It is no secret that Rattle has not had the best relationship with of some of his teammates this season. If the environment is toxic changes need to be made.

Offense was electric with Williams, and Rattler turns it over too much. I'm confident we'll see Williams.

I think the question is though, did Williams play over his head yesterday? Can he keep it going, or will he turn it over vs. TCU?
Well Patterson will bring pressure. Rattler is probably going to feel like he needs to impress and try to do too much? Rattler isn't a scrambler but I think in his mind he thinks he kind of is? Look, Riley has been grooming Rattler since a sophomore in high school. Riley will do everything in his power to make this Rattler experiment work out even if it means eeking out every game. Saban benched Hurts, the same Hurts that helped Bama win a NC because he just couldn't produce at the level he needed. If Riley goes with Rattler I think he's putting Rattler in an unfortunate position with the fanbase.

Offense was electric with Williams, and Rattler turns it over too much. I'm confident we'll see Williams.

I think the question is though, did Williams play over his head yesterday? Can he keep it going, or will he turn it over vs. TCU?
We've seen Williams 3 times now. Once in the fall scrimmage, against WCU and against Texas. All 3 times the guy had his composure and looked very confident and on the passes he threw that barely missed like the pass to Willis in the endzone and the one that Haselwood dropped in the endzone, you could tell that Williams expected to make those throws on the money and they were. The one to Willis was just barely out of his reach but on the run that was pretty damn accurate

I think Caleb knows he's the man. We all saw it yesterday. 😁

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I think it'd be damn interesting to know the terms and conditions of those NIL deals Rattler is into. I would hope that doesn't play into any kind of decision making on Riley's part
I read $200,000 and two new cars. Watch when Rattler scored the two yard touchdown in the first quarter. Limited interaction with teammates. The human mind is a powerful instrument, and when the change happened, it was evident the team's mojo changed for the better.

This ain't a difficult decision, and was obviously planned for by the coaching staff to implement a change at QB this weekend. LR will lose this team and eventually his job if he does not turn the page.

I almost hate to say it, because what can you really learn by watching a guy on TV, but Williams does seem to give off a more positive energy than does Rattler. Williams teammates to seem do respond to him a little more positively than they do to Rattler also. But I'm really only guessing.

To me, it comes down to who is running offense better, who is making more plays, and who is making fewer mistakes (aside from center/QB exchanges, haha).

Last edited:
Well Patterson will bring pressure. Rattler is probably going to feel like he needs to impress and try to do too much? Rattler isn't a scrambler but I think in his mind he thinks he kind of is? Look, Riley has been grooming Rattler since a sophomore in high school. Riley will do everything in his power to make this Rattler experiment work out even if it means eeking out every game. Saban benched Hurts, the same Hurts that helped Bama win a NC because he just couldn't produce at the level he needed. If Riley goes with Rattler I think he's putting Rattler in an unfortunate position with the fanbase.

I think the only way putting Rattler back in immediately works is if he comes in and just starts lighting it up. Then all would be forgiven. I just don't see that happening though.

It's a tough situation for Riley, and I guess that's why he get's paid eleventy million dollars a year.

Coach's take in these NIL deals won't be exposed for years to come. But that spoilage is there without a doubt. Imo.
I probably should have clarified, Riley makes a ton of money so I'm not really worried about him being in on some kind of take, I'm more referring to Rattler. I'm just wondering if those NIL's are conditional upon playing time, being a starter or even not transferring etc.

This thread is a good read. It's quite simple. Rattler just isn't as good of a QB. Not even close. Nothing personal against the kid. Of course I hope he improves and continues as a Sooner, but Williams is way ahead of him in being the quality of QB we need.

Williams knows that a receiver doesn't necessarily need to be open to pass to him. Williams can complete a timing route. On so many plays, Rattler would have taken the sack. Williams not only avoided sacks, but made big plays out of them. Williams fired up not only the offense, but the defense as well. Riley owes it to his team to start CW.

That RRS game was the first time OU looked like the Sooners (should look) this season. There are things that need to be fixed, but that is true every year. We looked like a solid playoff team in that second half.

Williams presence seemed to instantly change the team’s resolve to win, both offensively and defensively.
The O-line was brilliant in the second half as it dominated and wore down the Texas defensive line.
And I saw an Oklahoma team that was well conditioned to play hard throughout the game. Texas on the other hand, faded into fatigue like no team I’ve ever seen.
Mathew McConaughey will be impotent for a while. “Well, all right all right all right !”

The biggest question, which cannot be answered outside the locker room, is whether Rattler has this team's confidence and trust now. Williams certainly does. I was sitting at the 50 yard line 23 rows up on the OU side of the Cotton Bowl. Williams had a completely different chemistry with this team coming off the field and standing on the sidelines while the D did their thing. Rattler separated himself on the bench with towel over his head. Does Rattler have the leadership skills to stand in front of this team and be a team player rather than an NIL poster boy. It is no secret that Rattle has not had the best relationship with of some of his teammates this season. If the environment is toxic changes need to be made.
After what I noticed after he got pulled he didn't seem like a supportive teammate there were times when he could've been there supporting Caleb but he didn't that maybe part of the problem. Could the way he started acting after NIL deal rubbed teammates the wrong way like the "wrong" route from Stogner that lead to interception the team did seem to rally around CW more then they did with SR. If players want CW to start over Rattler the team needs to speak up before LR loses the team by starting Rattler again there was a noticable change in energy when Caleb was in the game.

Williams presence seemed to instantly change the team’s resolve to win, both offensively and defensively.
The O-line was brilliant in the second half as it dominated and wore down the Texas defensive line.
And I saw an Oklahoma team that was well conditioned to play hard throughout the game. Texas on the other hand, faded into fatigue like no team I’ve ever seen.
Mathew McConaughey will be impotent for a while. “Well, all right all right all right !”
I’m glad they didn’t pan over to that douchebag during the broadcast or actually I would love to have seen his face on Brooks’ last touchdown run.

There's no reason to worry about Rattler's feelings - he's not hitting the transfer portal and will go pro no matter what, begrudgingly taking his 2nd round money (there are enough idiot "QB-starved" NFL personnel guys for that to be almost inevitable). And Riley will keep him involved in some fashion like he did Saturday.

As for it being unfair for Rattler because of personnel changes from last year - Caleb played with the same personnel and came in cold (no real reps this year) with the opponent up 3 scores. Was that "fair"? The Rattler apologists need to put a sock in it and move on.

There's no reason to worry about Rattler's feelings - he's not hitting the transfer portal and will go pro no matter what, begrudgingly taking his 2nd round money (there are enough idiot "QB-starved" NFL personnel guys for that to be almost inevitable). And Riley will keep him involved in some fashion like he did Saturday.

As for it being unfair for Rattler because of personnel changes from last year - Caleb played with the same personnel and came in cold (no real reps this year) with the opponent up 3 scores. Was that "fair"? The Rattler apologists need to put a sock in it and move on.
Sark's post game he mentioned the 50/50 balls that Caleb threw. That got me thinking when was the last time Rattler gave a tightly covered receiver a chance, maybe outside of back shoulder throws? I think Rattler is outside of his comfort zone down field while Caleb was throwing hail-Mims. Regardless, I agree with you. Rattler is not going to succeed without loosening up considerably to get the ball down the field. K-State he completed a 40 yarder but it was with Mims WIDE open.

Williams will throw the deep ball when its one on one coverage. Rattler seemed to try and make that throw when they are doubled covered. The reason we recruit these WR's is to make plays like that and win the 50/50 ball. Hazelwood and Wease were two of the best in high school that would go up and win the 50/50 balls, I know Wease is hurt but would like to see Hazelwood get a few more passes. The cupboard is full at that position, with that being said Williams seems to be able to see the field better and find the open guys that Rattler has been missing all season.

Williams will throw the deep ball when its one on one coverage. Rattler seemed to try and make that throw when they are doubled covered. The reason we recruit these WR's is to make plays like that and win the 50/50 ball. Hazelwood and Wease were two of the best in high school that would go up and win the 50/50 balls, I know Wease is hurt but would like to see Hazelwood get a few more passes. The cupboard is full at that position, with that being said Williams seems to be able to see the field better and find the open guys that Rattler has been missing all season.
Good post, I would add Williams' ability to create more time and/or run for chunks of yardage induces more single coverage opportunities.

Here’s the problem……..Riley is deeply invested in Rattler. He will continue to start him ……..his loyalty is to a fault. It will cost us a win in a future game this season. Like it or not that’s the way it is.

Would be nice if Rattler can put his ego aside for the betterment of the team as Jalen Hurts did at Alabama when Saban replaced him with Tua Tagovailoa....then had Hurts come off the bench to win the 2018 SEC Championship Game with his passing and running when Tagovailoa went down.
When asked by teammates why he stayed at Bama after Tagovailoa became the starter, Hurts said, 'I want to be here for you guys".

Here’s the problem……..Riley is deeply invested in Rattler. He will continue to start him ……..his loyalty is to a fault. It will cost us a win in a future game this season. Like it or not that’s the way it is.
I have the same feeling. I guess I don’t have complete trust in Riley yet. I wish I did. Maybe he will convince me Saturday.

I disagree to some point. Riley is invested in everyone he recruits until they screw up (Mikey Henderson). Riley is not on an island in these matters. He does have the deciding vote but he is careful enough not to wager his reputation and credibility on a player under performing. He has a coaching staff that he consults with almost daily. You can be assured this matter will get attention within the sports psychology department of OU Athletics. The right decision is not always the easiest decision.

OU has won 5 of its first 6 games in very close games and mauled a dwarf throwing oponent in Western Carolina 76-0. The combined W/L record of OU's opponents is 13-23, with KSU (3-2) and Texas (4-2) with winning records.
Regardless, I'm satisfied with how the season has gone so far, but I hope that the team I saw in the second half of the Texas game will be the team I will see from here on. And I believe that will happen if Caleb Williams starts because his presence generates an overall level of energy for every other player on the roster.
This team has talent from top to bottom and much of that talent still needs development. I see that happening with each game and I see a much improved team running the table and representing itself well in the post season.
In the future, OU needs to adhere to its Mayfield-Murray-Hurts-Williams quarterback philosophy in its recruiting.....but I wonder how a QB like Malachi Nelson (2023 class) will fit in as he's labeled a pro-style QB at 6'3" 185 lbs. His bio indicates he is also a very mobile QB who can make plays with his legs to go with his great passing skills, so my concern should be unwarranted. ( I do wonder, however, what Nelson may be thinking after watching the Texas game).
I'm not giving up on Rattler. I just want the events of last Saturday to motivate him and give him a more team-first attitude. Maybe a chat with Jalen Hurts is in order now.

Not only that, but how often does he hit his receivers in stride? Often, they have to make significant adjustments on the ball. There were several short passes out in the flat where the receiver had to stop and turn around to try and catch the ball.
look at the throw to Hall on the sideline he had to almost stop

I may be way off but it seems to me that Rattler and those closest to him are more worried about the NFL than anything else. Is that whats distracting him? Who knows.

Do you think he might actually consider still go pro after the way this year has gone? I guess that actually is an option.

Do you think he might actually consider still go pro after the way this year has gone? I guess that actually is an option.

I think so if his draft stock hadsn't fallen too far. If Caleb is the starting QB going forward I think his options would be to enter the draft after this season. I just don't see him sticking around to be a backup QB and I think transferring is likely not an option either. The NFL is the main goal so I think thats what his side will focus on. He very well could be the starter again at OU so I guess we have to wait to see how that all plays out. Either way I think he enters the Draft after this season.

OU has won 5 of its first 6 games in very close games and mauled a dwarf throwing oponent in Western Carolina 76-0. The combined W/L record of OU's opponents is 13-23, with KSU (3-2) and Texas (4-2) with winning records.
Regardless, I'm satisfied with how the season has gone so far, but I hope that the team I saw in the second half of the Texas game will be the team I will see from here on. And I believe that will happen if Caleb Williams starts because his presence generates an overall level of energy for every other player on the roster.
This team has talent from top to bottom and much of that talent still needs development. I see that happening with each game and I see a much improved team running the table and representing itself well in the post season.
In the future, OU needs to adhere to its Mayfield-Murray-Hurts-Williams quarterback philosophy in its recruiting.....but I wonder how a QB like Malachi Nelson (2023 class) will fit in as he's labeled a pro-style QB at 6'3" 185 lbs. His bio indicates he is also a very mobile QB who can make plays with his legs to go with his great passing skills, so my concern should be unwarranted. ( I do wonder, however, what Nelson may be thinking after watching the Texas game).
I'm not giving up on Rattler. I just want the events of last Saturday to motivate him and give him a more team-first attitude. Maybe a chat with Jalen Hurts is in order now.
Its nice to have a running QB, but OU has won its share of games with quarterbacks that weren't all that mobile. Heck, Mayfield wasn't very mobile either. I just think Rattler is thinking too much and has way too many distractions with NIL, NFL, and now this QB contro. Whatever the case, I think his time at OU will be over at the end of the year. I kinda feel bad for the kid because he obviously came to OU because he liked it. Kinda disheartening to see much of the fan base turned against him now. I guess that is part of the game these days

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT