ADVERTISEMENT

QBs Spring Performance

PryorFan

Sooner starter
Dec 26, 2004
Sports Animal bashing TK, BM and CT for bad picks. Talking about Stoops and Riley not being too concerned about the picks after the game. Have to believe Riley is not happy out of the public's eye.

Baked and Trevor's picks should not have been thrown especially from QBs who have seen a great deal of playing time.

What are your thoughts?

Originally posted by PryorFan:
Sports Animal bashing TK, BM and CT for bad picks. Talking about Stoops and Riley not being too concerned about the picks after the game. Have to believe Riley is not happy out of the public's eye.

Baked and Trevor's picks should not have been thrown especially from QBs who have seen a great deal of playing time.

What are your thoughts?
Although I don't get the Animal, any bashing of the QBs is not unexpected as all of the INTs I saw were poorly thrown balls into double coverage. One (Mayfields?) was tipped by a LB and picked off by Hatari Byrd in the end zone, but the ball was poorly thrown and was way behind the receiver. I did like it that the QBs were throwing it downfield and not playing it safe with dink and dunk passes, but some of the balls were just not thrown well at all, which is a real head-scratcher when you consider these are "experienced" QBs.

I guess there are two ways to look at it. One, is that it was disappointing to see our QBs throw some very questionable passes, which resulted in INTs, which made the DBs look good. The other is that it was "only" the Spring Game and the coaches wanted to see the QBs air it out and give the young WRs some chances to make some big plays.

What I did like was the success we had with the Utah or shuttle pass. I think we ran it about three or four times and all were big gainers, which may have padded the QB's stats.

I have a feeling Mayfield is going to be prone to taking a lot of chances and trying to make things happen when they aren't there. It seems to just be his personality.

Mayfield's Int/TD Ratio was pretty high at TT (12 TD - 9 Int) so this isn't really something new. He also lost two fumbles. You get about the same from Knight with 23 TD's and 17 Int's career at OU. Thomas 2 TD's - 4 picks...

I'm not sure where the expectation to see a 180 degree turn around comes from.

Who has those expectations? I know I sure don't. I think we will be better at receiver but the QB is still a big question mark as is the offensive line.

Mayfield's Int/TD Ratio was pretty high at TT (12 TD - 9 Int) so this isn't really something new. He also lost two fumbles. You get about the same from Knight with 23 TD's and 17 Int's career at OU. Thomas 2 TD's - 4 picks...

Pfka how about because players improve. Hell even Knight could turn the corner finally just look at Trevon Boykin for proof. Not saying it's going to happen, but anybody who is acting like players can't improve is either trolling hard or just isn't knowledgeable.

As I stated the other day, forcing throws into coverage is between the ears. That's not bad coaching. That's bad QBing. If this would have occurred in the season play, there would be a tremendous amount of pissing & moaning going on. One of Mayfield/s picks was in triple coverage. That stuff won't cut it... at least for long anyway.

Originally posted by WhyNotaSooner:
As I stated the other day, forcing throws into coverage is between the ears. That's not bad coaching. That's bad QBing. If this would have occurred in the season play, there would be a tremendous amount of pissing & moaning going on. One of Mayfield/s picks was in triple coverage. That stuff won't cut it... at least for long anyway.
WNAS, there was a rumor going around on another site that the coaching staff had a game plan of throwing the ball deep on a certain number of plays. They really didn't care about interceptions, etc. they just wanted to go deep and see what happened. I have no idea if that is true, but Stoops and Riley really weren't concerned with the picks in post game comments.

Reading between the lines, if this is true, maybe the coaches just wanted to see if our tall receivers could come down with a pass in multiple coverage. Another words, it was planned? Practice plays? Who knows?

I know, a grassy knoll type post, but I thought I would throw it out.............

Originally posted by K2C Sooner:
WNAS, there was a rumor going around on another site that the coaching staff had a game plan of throwing the ball deep on a certain number of plays. They really didn't care about interceptions, etc. they just wanted to go deep and see what happened. I have no idea if that is true, but Stoops and Riley really weren't concerned with the picks in post game comments.

Reading between the lines, if this is true, maybe the coaches just wanted to see if our tall receivers could come down with a pass in multiple coverage. Another words, it was planned? Practice plays? Who knows?

I know, a grassy knoll type post, but I thought I would throw it out.............
it was an overblown scrimmage that actually had game delays for commercials...and yes several balls where thrown deep not only to see the arm but to see if a receiver could go up and get it. I would take nothing out of either side of the ball from what I saw other than...again it was an overblown scrimmage that brought a bunch of fans out. I was more impressed with Cody than anyone quite honestly. Still not impressed with the LB position..but hey..again.

Totally, 100% agree.

I know that everybody has different colored shirts on their quarterbacks in the spring game. But I'm not sure you can really evaluate your quarterback when he can't be hit. On scrambles, they're trying to make a play, but to avoid being touched, take strange angles out of the pocket and it almost makes the play meaningless. And you really don't know who a good quarterback will be until you see how strong he'll stand in, when he's about to get hit in the sternum.

But if any got hurt, then there would be a whole nother set of bitches and moans.

Thomas' pick was a poor throw which allowed a nice play by Tay Evans. God was nice to Bob Barry when he retired five years ago. Big Bob would never have made it through a season with two inside linebackers named Evans, both sons of OU athletic studs. And one of them having a brother on the team.

All of the quarterbacks made some nice throws. All of them made some bad throws. And I think all but one made at least one stupid throw. Baker made two. As was said, maybe that's just who he is. I know Bob just wanted to see if his walk on kicker could make a 45 plus yard FG before the half. But I'd sure have loved it if he'd turned Hansen loose and let him see how close he could have gotten it there, throwing the ball. Maybe they hadn't put in a nickel or dime defensive package for the game.

One thought I had, watching the tape again tonight. If Mixon had played, he'd have come out of the game looking like DeMarco Murray. There was some nice running room in the game. Ross couldn't find it. Perine could, but couldn't take advantage in a touch me game. I think Mixon would have gone for about 300 total rushing and receiving if he'd have been allowed to suit out.

I don't mean to be negative, but Duron Neal looked like about our sixth best receiver on Saturday. Makes quarterback performance in 2014 more understandable. Last season, he was OUr second best until Shep got hurt. Then he was promoted to top one.

Originally posted by Plainosooner:

Totally, 100% agree.

I know that everybody has different colored shirts on their quarterbacks in the spring game. But I'm not sure you can really evaluate your quarterback when he can't be hit. On scrambles, they're trying to make a play, but to avoid being touched, take strange angles out of the pocket and it almost makes the play meaningless. And you really don't know who a good quarterback will be until you see how strong he'll stand in, when he's about to get hit in the sternum.

But if any got hurt, then there would be a whole nother set of bitches and moans.

Thomas' pick was a poor throw which allowed a nice play by Tay Evans. God was nice to Bob Barry when he retired five years ago. Big Bob would never have made it through a season with two inside linebackers named Evans, both sons of OU athletic studs. And one of them having a brother on the team.

All of the quarterbacks made some nice throws. All of them made some bad throws. And I think all but one made at least one stupid throw. Baker made two. As was said, maybe that's just who he is. I know Bob just wanted to see if his walk on kicker could make a 45 plus yard FG before the half. But I'd sure have loved it if he'd turned Hansen loose and let him see how close he could have gotten it there, throwing the ball. Maybe they hadn't put in a nickel or dime defensive package for the game.

One thought I had, watching the tape again tonight. If Mixon had played, he'd have come out of the game looking like DeMarco Murray. There was some nice running room in the game. Ross couldn't find it. Perine could, but couldn't take advantage in a touch me game. I think Mixon would have gone for about 300 total rushing and receiving if he'd have been allowed to suit out.

I don't mean to be negative, but Duron Neal looked like about our sixth best receiver on Saturday. Makes quarterback performance in 2014 more understandable. Last season, he was OUr second best until Shep got hurt. Then he was promoted to top one.
Agreed. I was one of those last season felt Neal was going to have a breakout year because Shepard was the focus of the other team's DBs. Well, that breakout season never came, he was average at best and as Plaino said, he was not the go-to-guy on Saturday. Neal has not lived up to the expectations, so I hope that that he'll be a better player and 2015 will be his breakout year.

TheJaffe - Yes players can and sometimes do improve. Sometimes they don't.

K2C - Show me a coach that doesn't care about turnovers, even in practice, and I'll show you an unemployed coach. No way they wanted to see that kind of production from a newly installed offense. The good news is they now have game situation film to go back to work with.

Here's your chance to draw your own conclusions.

OU Scrimmage

Although we didnt have the best wr's on the field, the qb play was ok. If all the qb's were throwing to the starters it would have different results. I did like Mead and Westbrook, they looked good during the scrimmage. Add Shephard, and find someone to fill the 4 spot and we should have a pretty good offense.

Eh Mack, I'm going to take your spin with a grain of salt.
I mean after all, you're looking down with your arrogance on us through a prism of distinct horn homerism.

Having said that, I don't think anyone can accurately gauge the QBs performances based on that loosey goosey scrimmage.
With the cautionary restrictions I don't think anyone out there was playing their A game.

We'll see. The fall practices will obviously tell.
We'll either succeed or we won't...no excuses.
boomersooner.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/14 12:55 PM by Soonersincefitty

Originally posted by Soonersincefitty:
Eh Mack, I'm going to take your spin with a grain of salt.
I mean after all, you're looking down with your arrogance on us through a prism of distinct horn homerism.

Having said that, I don't think anyone can accurately gauge the QBs performances based on that loosey goosey scrimmage.
With the cautionary restrictions I don't think anyone out there was playing their A game.

We'll see. The fall practices will obviously tell.
We'll either succeed or we won't...no excuses.
boomersooner.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/14 12:55 PM by Soonersincefitty
And my take is just the opposite of many on here who are looking blindly through crimson glasses. Loosey goosey scrimmage, 7 on 7, best receivers weren't playing, coaches didn't care about turnovers, the moon was in the wrong phase. None of that really matters when the issue is the QB's were still throwing the ball into double and triple coverage.
roll.r191677.gif

In their defense #81 dropping a TD that was right in his gut is inexcusable.

Some need to get a grip on reality. OU has a new OC and some new coaches. Riley in breaking in a new offense. He has had just a handful of practices with his players and his coaches. It is really silly to expect perfection in a scrimmage where he is playing with his hands tied and just trying to be plain ole vanilla. He played four QBs and about every offensive player he has on his roster. Baker Mayfield made some plays and threw a couple passes he should have thrown away instead of trying to make a play. It was a bad play made in haste. A poor decision on one play.

Some are trying to make more of it than it was. With some exceptions I was pretty impressed with the overall play of the offense. I was impressed with the WRs. I think we are going be able to field the best WR corp of the last few years. The scrimmage wasn't all bad and there were some good things shown. I am not sure what some expected. I questioned Baker's really bad decision, but it isn't all that big of a deal in the long run.

Mark Andrews, he is suppose to our new and up and coming star. Hopefully he doesnt make a habit out of dropping easy TD's.

Originally posted by pfka_ms:

Funny coming from a fan of the team starting a dude with 13 TD's and 11 ints last year.:

Originally posted by Jaaa:
Originally posted by pfka_ms:

Funny coming from a fan of the team starting a dude with 13 TD's and 11 ints last year.:
Yeah, well he was the cream of the crap that Charlie & Co inherited and definitely not my choice. And I'm not drinking the koolaid that some are pouring on him either.

R E L A X..... Bradford and Jones were both very average in spring games. The Spring games are such a joke now. The bigger discussion should be our knucklehead O coordinator saying the crowd may have affected the qbs?????

Originally posted by roygbell:
Some need to get a grip on reality. OU has a new OC and some new coaches. Riley in breaking in a new offense. He has had just a handful of practices with his players and his coaches. It is really silly to expect perfection in a scrimmage where he is playing with his hands tied and just trying to be plain ole vanilla. He played four QBs and about every offensive player he has on his roster. Baker Mayfield made some plays and threw a couple passes he should have thrown away instead of trying to make a play. It was a bad play made in haste. A poor decision on one play.

Some are trying to make more of it than it was. With some exceptions I was pretty impressed with the overall play of the offense. I was impressed with the WRs. I think we are going be able to field the best WR corp of the last few years. The scrimmage wasn't all bad and there were some good things shown. I am not sure what some expected. I questioned Baker's really bad decision, but it isn't all that big of a deal in the long run.
I tend to agree with most of what you've posted. There is no reason to be an alarmist at this point regarding the QB play. For me personally, I was merely pointing out what I saw. Things can improve, no doubt. But the gunslinger mentality of forcing throws is an issue that will need to be addressed despite the spin from the Coach's office. Baker's bad decision as you've identified it, is part of his history in that he throws INTs. A better set of WRs can assist and help reduce his ratio, but he himself will need to do better or he'll be watching the game from the sidelines.

Originally posted by coe8189:

Mark Andrews, he is suppose to our new and up and coming star. Hopefully he doesnt make a habit out of dropping easy TD's.
A couple of things. One is that I think you have a very different view of that "drop." It was a poor throw, behind him a bit and thrown at 95 when 80 was called for. You don't play burn out from 12 yards away.

The other is that we sort of make fun of guys around here who do what I'm going to do. We make fun of grammar police and spelling correction nerds. But there is one exception. You get the spelling of players' names right.

There is no H in Sterling Shepard.

As usual, roy nails it. There is still ALOT of time between now and the start of the season. There was a huge coaching staff shakeup. Plus it's just the spring game. Absolutely nothing to get alarmed about. Still lots of time for coaches and players to gel and make a huge impact going into the season this fall.

I questioned Baker's really bad decision, but it isn't all that big of a deal in the long run.
Roy is sending out a subliminal Samaje Perine message here.

wink.r191677.gif

The sooner one of the quarterbacks can step up and distance himself from the others, the better. All have talent, but one has to separate himself from the others by September 1st. I had hoped that one would have emerged as a clear cut starter by the spring game. It did not happen.
So many more questions in so many areas must be answered in August or at least by the Akron game on September 5th.
Perine's presence can surely take some pressure off a quarterback trying to establish himself as a starter. That is a big trump card for Lincoln Riley as he works to solidify the offense.

Originally posted by BillyRay:
Originally posted by Section22Sooner:
I questioned Baker's really bad decision, but it isn't all that big of a deal in the long run.
Roy is sending out a subliminal Samaje Perine message here.

wink.r191677.gif
Very impressive lingo decoding work S22....I think you may be right.
cool.r191677.gif
I'm trying my best. I am amazed that anyone picked up on my method. I have always been surprised at 22's ability to pick up things, but this one is way out there. Have no idea how he picked up on this!!!!!!

You are so right, and I actually appreciate the correction. I have been sik for a couple of weeks and my brain is below par. It is funny. I went back and looed at his first nsme to double check for an H. And the one staring me in the eye, I totally missed.

Well done.

I was disappointed that we did not get to see more of Hansen. The little bit he was in the game, he looked very comfortable in the pocket with maneuvering around pressure. He has nice touch on his passes. I really think we have something there.

Originally posted by LawtonIke:
I was disappointed that we did not get to see more of Hansen. The little bit he was in the game, he looked very comfortable in the pocket with maneuvering around pressure. He has nice touch on his passes. I really think we have something there.
Welcome to the board LawtonIke. I hope you post here often.

Did you go to Lawton "Ike"? The reason I ask is that a lot of the athletes I know who attended there are very adamant about calling the school Lawton Eisenhower.

Anyway, welcome to the board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT