ADVERTISEMENT

OU vs Baylor game thread

Hurts has handcuffed Riley.

Agreed on some level. I am guessing Hurts is playing injured...maybe some bruised ribs. His hardest run of the game was in overtime. Just keep winning and see what happens. Wherever they end up they have a month to heal up and get about 3 weeks of extra practice to help next year. My one true hope is to have a completely healthy offensive line

Take away two long Baylor passes that ultimately gave them 10 points, and OU's defense was superb.
Best defensive game for OU this year and it came while the offensive line was struggling, Hurts was not playing well and with an injury to OU's best back, Brooks, in the 3rd quarter.
Plus OU's kicking game was stellar.

Take away two long Baylor passes that ultimately gave them 10 points, and OU's defense was superb.
Best defensive game for OU this year and it came while the offensive line was struggling, Hurts was not playing well and with an injury to OU's best back, Brooks, in the 3rd quarter.
Plus OU's kicking game was stellar.[/QUOT

How about that kicker? What a great year and a welcomed advantage.

Don’t blast me for this but do you think Riley might play Rattler next game? I like Hurts but he makes a lot of mistakes that a veteran player should not make. Even if Rattler just has a package of plays he could make a big difference.

Reactions: iasooner1
Don’t blast me for this but do you think Riley might play Rattler next game? I like Hurts but he makes a lot of mistakes that a veteran player should not make. Even if Rattler just has a package of plays he could make a big difference.
Hurts’ numbers this year exceeded Mayfield’s in 2017 and Murray’s in 2018....Rattler won’t be taking a snap until next September.

Reactions: OUSOONER67

12-1 record Big 12 title win today.
Come on man!
Personally I don't think we would be where we are this year without him.

Is Hurts really better than Rattler? This is ridiculous. Trey Brown thinks he’s Lamb.
Yes. At this point in his career, Hurts is better than Rattler.

It was pretty advantageous that Brown was on the field when they ran that fake receiver screen, and Trey caught 12, who changed numbers from 14. Otherwise, there might be a different conference champion.

Anybody there?

Yes. Section 304. The whole game was played on the other side of the 50. But I'd take that in a win over being at the other end in a loss.

Wondering what the split in the fan base there?
There was a whole lot more crimson, but until overtime, Baylor's fans made as much noise as the at least double OU fans did. In OT, OU fans finally made their presence known, and it was a huge factor.

Can’t win a big game with Hurts. Sorry

Was the CCG a big game?

I'm not sure the defenses were quite as good as they looked today. Both were pretty beat up.

Baylor's second quarterback was beat up coming in, and they used their scout team quarterback, who'd taken few reps all week. He did play a little against Kansas in the regular season finale. But he threw the ball well when they were kind of hand feeding him play calls. Before the play that Brown made to save a long td pass, by catching 12 from behind, they drew up the play during a time out.

His earlier td pass, I believe came on his first snap in the game, or a really early one.

OUr offense is dealing with just as many challenges. We've lost on eof the top five tight ends in the country, permanently. We lost OUr top running back a month ago. We're playing with very nicked up offensive tackles on both sides. We were playing Proctor at the critical left tackle position because Swenson is beat up. Then Ealy couldn't go, so we put Swenson at right tackle. Hopefully, with a month for the bodies to get rested up, and heal, we'll be able to field a capable offensive line. And Baylor has the two beat defensive linemen in the conference. Makes a difference.

And Jalen is really beat up. He's a tough guy, and he's not going to talk about it, but he routinely broke the first tackle on his rushes for ten weeks. But that hasn't happened much the last two weeks. Baylor will strike you. And they have a head hunter at safety, who has been disqualified for targeting three times this season, cause a one game suspension. He's the guy who intentionally drove his should into the crown of Brooks helmet with three minutes left in regulation, ending Kennedy's day. Hopefully, he'll be healed by the end of December. It was a legal hit. But I'm crimson glasses enough to consider that a cheap shot.

We didn't block Baylor very well today, but their players and plan had a lot to do with that. We got a couple of crucial penalties and Baylor is just a quality defense. 99 and 93 are tough to block, and today a couple of other guys had their way with OUr offense, especially their right DE. Baylor leads the country in sacks by a three man line with no blitz help.

When they can hold up that way, it makes it hard to find openings to throw the ball with 8 in coverage.

I'm glad number 2 wears crimson.

Through all of that, if Brooks is lost (possibly for good ?), OU's chances in the CFP take a huge hit.
And on top of Calcatera's loss and Hurts' being a bit gimpy, OU will need a double dosage of Sooner Magic against the best teams in the country.
But through it all, regardless of what happens now, this 2019 team will go down as one of my favorite Sooner teams, in spite of its nicks, bumps and bruises.

Through all of that, if Brooks is lost (possibly for good ?), OU's chances in the CFP take a huge hit.
And on top of Calcatera's loss and Hurts' being a bit gimpy, OU will need a double dosage of Sooner Magic against the best teams in the country.
But through it all, regardless of what happens now, this 2019 team will go down as one of my favorite Sooner teams, in spite of its nicks, bumps and bruises.

I agree, imagine if Riley had gone with what we had on campus at QB what our season would have been like had he not pursued Jalen to come to OU?
Been a great season so far and a bunch of fans wishing they were in our shoes right now. Win or lose in the playoffs if you aint in it you didn't have a great season. We are fortunate to be where we are right now.

ADVERTISEMENT