ADVERTISEMENT

OU and Texas talking to bolt the Big 12 for the SEC.....

I'm expecting it to take a couple of years to adjust to the conference yes they'll win games and make bowl games but not looking at making SEC championship game right off the bat now maybe if Auburn and alabama get moved to the east that'll make the road to the SEC championship game easier.

TAMU being in the SEC had nothing to do with them beating OU. A guy named Manziel did.

So you are saying OU can only beat an SEC when that team is mediocre? I disagree. The SEC is a good conference but it also has many teams that are very average or below average.
SEC has its average to below-average teams like all the conferences, but what other conference has equaled the SEC when all is considered ? I don't have a love affair with the SEC, just calling things as I see them.
So by your logic, Alabama in 2018 being in the SEC had nothing to do with being OU. Tua Tagovailoa did.....or Florida beating OU was because of Tim Tebow. The great teams they played for were not important.
And I'm saying OU has historically had problems with the best teams from the SEC, starting in 1963 with Namath's Alabama team and Lee Roy Jordan with his 31 tackles, then LSU twice, Florida in 2008, Georgia in 2017 and Alabama 2018.

I'll sacrifice Bedlam for more money and the SEC marketing machine.
I'm ready to cut the cord with OkieLite. They no longer need to hate us every year, maybe every decade. Or worst case, we could mirror Iowa\ISU. However, they should make their own way in a conference. They would probably be more competitive in a PAC ## East anyway.

Reactions: Oklabama
Everyone worried about competition, don't. OU is recruiting again on both sides. OU is recruiting nationally and this will just expand. Bama, OSU and OU pulled the best players out of Florida and Texas, last year. This will just get easier with the SEC, inclusion.

The west coast will still be a hot bed and DeMarco has got OU back in Vegas. Rattler is close to signing a 1m plus deal. I expect the same for Caleb.

Tradition
Money
National Brand
Great Coaching

This will all appeal to recruits. OU s stacked and just look at the SEC transfers we picked up. Then add OU is in Norman, a true college town. Almost all traditional powers, in big cities have suffered the last 10 years. USC, UCLA, Miami, Austin, Mich
Way to many distractions, plus the players are not the BMOC,

Pull off the freeway in Austin. Every corner they have some "cause" group with signs.

SEC has its average to below-average teams like all the conferences, but what other conference has equaled the SEC when all is considered ? I don't have a love affair with the SEC, just calling things as I see them.
So by your logic, Alabama in 2018 being in the SEC had nothing to do with being OU. Tua Tagovailoa did.....or Florida beating OU was because of Tim Tebow. The great teams they played for were not important.
And I'm saying OU has historically had problems with the best teams from the SEC, starting in 1963 with Namath's Alabama team and Lee Roy Jordan with his 31 tackles, then LSU twice, Florida in 2008, Georgia in 2017 and Alabama 2018.
When you are playing in the playoffs or NC game then you are naturally going to be playing the very best teams. Not beating Florida or Bama or LSU in those games does not mean OU can't compete with them in that conference and still do very well. I agree its an overall tougher conference than the big 12 but OU will be right at or near the top most years.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Not trying to be rude but weren’t we missing DeMarco in the Natty game because some idiot had him take the opening kick in the CCG in KC in 08 ?
I was there and remember he was out of the game very early

Not trying to be rude but weren’t we missing DeMarco in the Natty game because some idiot had him take the opening kick in the CCG in KC in 08 ?
He would have made a huge difference against Florida. But hey its the SEC so we probably would have lost anyway

I was there and remember he was out of the Stoops wanted him on the kickoff coverage team to possibly recover an onside kick.
Murray returned kickoffs before so why not in the Big 12 championship ?
But his absence vs Florida was a killer loss.

I remember Bob caught a lot of grief for having some of his best players on the kicking teams. Right or wrong...Stoops was one hard headed person and you were an idiot if you questioned him.
Demarco was electric. He was in the right place. Hindsight is tricky though brother.

There is talk of a complete restructuring of the SEC into 4 X 4 pods, 2 west and 2 east. Each pod will play the other 3 teams in their pod and rotate among the other 8. The current focus is OU, Texas, Missouri & Arkansas in one pod. This structure did not have much support at first but is gaining attention. There would effectively be a 4 team playoff in the SEC for conference champ. It is almost certain OU and Texas will announce by Mid August. They have mounted defense funds to break current contracts.

Personally, I think this will create an imbalance of power to the SEC with regards to pretty much everything. I agree the Big XII is no longer viable. There is a crack in the Big XII dam. I hope OSU, TTech, Baylor & TCU goes Pac 12 and KU, KSU, ISU goes Big 10. WVU to ACC. I am told that Arizona and Arizona State made overtures to Big XII about joining and this is what broke the SEC story.

There is talk of a complete restructuring of the SEC into 4 X 4 pods, 2 west and 2 east. Each pod will play the other 3 teams in their pod and rotate among the other 8. The current focus is OU, Texas, Missouri & Arkansas in one pod. This structure did not have much support at first but is gaining attention. There would effectively be a 4 team playoff in the SEC for conference champ. It is almost certain OU and Texas will announce by Mid August. They have mounted defense funds to break current contracts.

Personally, I think this will create an imbalance of power to the SEC with regards to pretty much everything. I agree the Big XII is no longer viable. There is a crack in the Big XII dam. I hope OSU, TTech, Baylor & TCU goes Pac 12 and KU, KSU, ISU goes Big 10. WVU to ACC. I am told that Arizona and Arizona State made overtures to Big XII about joining and this is what broke the SEC story.
I thought one pod would be TX, TAMU, Oklahoma, and LSU. That woud be one heck of a division

I thought one pod would be TX, TAMU, Oklahoma, and LSU. That woud be one heck of a division
I don't think A&M wants to be lumped in with Bevo. I have heard something like:

- OU, UTex, Missouri and Arkansas.
- A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, MSU
- Alabama, Auburn, UTenn and Vandy
- Georgia, UF, Kentucky and USC

That provides reasonable geo-clustering and still spreads out the heaviest hitters.

My main concern is--how long do we have to be in the conference before we get our "didn't want to be there" card?

I don't think A&M wants to be lumped in with Bevo. I have heard something like:

- OU, UTex, Missouri and Arkansas.
- A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, MSU
- Alabama, Auburn, UTenn and Vandy
- Georgia, UF, Kentucky and USC

That provides reasonable geo-clustering and still spreads out the heaviest hitters.
That would make a lot of sense. It would ensure that all of the rivalry games are played every year.

Thanks for the info. I agree with the Tech to Pac 12 and probably OkieState but I hope Baylor goes to an also ran conference.

My main concern is--how long do we have to be in the conference before we get our "didn't want to be there" card?
I recall two bowl games in which one team seemed to play as if it "didn't want to be there":
One was the 1979 Orange Bowl when OU and Nebraska were had a rematch from the regular season Nebraska win in November, 17-14, thanks to Billy Sims' fumble inside the ten yard line late in the 4th quarter. Tom Osbourne and AD Bob Devaney were stunned speechless at the Orange Bowl invitation to OU. They felt their Huskers had nothing to prove by playing OU again and they were probably right. OU built a 31-10 lead in the 4th quarter and gave up a cosmetic touchdown as time ran out to make the game look closer than it really was.
Alabama's 2013 team in my opinion was still hungover from the flucky "kick six" loss to its arch rival Auburn 34-28 and had to unhappy not playing for a national championship and having to play OU in the Sugar Bowl. I do not recall such a sloppy bowl game by Alabama with 5 turnovers and seven sacks, even tough they out gained OU 516-432.

I recall two bowl games in which one team seemed to play as if it "didn't want to be there":
One was the 1979 Orange Bowl when OU and Nebraska were had a rematch from the regular season Nebraska win in November, 17-14, thanks to Billy Sims' fumble inside the ten yard line late in the 4th quarter. Tom Osbourne and AD Bob Devaney were stunned speechless at the Orange Bowl invitation to OU. They felt their Huskers had nothing to prove by playing OU again and they were probably right. OU built a 31-10 lead in the 4th quarter and gave up a cosmetic touchdown as time ran out to make the game look closer than it really was.
Alabama's 2013 team in my opinion was still hungover from the flucky "kick six" loss to its arch rival Auburn 34-28 and had to unhappy not playing for a national championship and having to play OU in the Sugar Bowl. I do not recall such a sloppy bowl game by Alabama with 5 turnovers and seven sacks, even tough they out gained OU 516-432.
I’ve always felt like Alabama should have run Derrick Henry a lot more. Thank you, Nicky. But really OU was too much for the Tide that night.

Funny that all the Tide players and coaches could say before the game was that they were going to destroy OU to prove that they were really the best team in the country and that the Auburn game was a fluke. They seemed like they wanted to be there when they took a couple of leads in the first half. However, they couldn't pull away and Trevor Knight went unconscious while the Bama QB started getting sacked by Eric Striker and then....[poof] they didn't want to be there. I guess that particular card can be played by any SEC team not only after but even during the game. Bottom line was they got beat by two TDs and had to come up with an excuse after the fact. We saw the same thing in a previous Alabama bowl game when they were drilled by Utah. Nope, didn't want to be there either. Seriously, just man up and take your loss like a man rather than a whiny bitch. Off the top of my head, I'm also looking at Georgia and Florida in recent years. Before the game, "they ain't SEC, they ain't Gators:" after the game, "we didn't want to be there."
Spare me.

I don't think they took into account that Trevor Knight would play out of his mind that night.

Funny that all the Tide players and coaches could say before the game was that they were going to destroy OU to prove that they were really the best team in the country and that the Auburn game was a fluke. They seemed like they wanted to be there when they took a couple of leads in the first half. However, they couldn't pull away and Trevor Knight went unconscious while the Bama QB started getting sacked by Eric Striker and then....[poof] they didn't want to be there. I guess that particular card can be played by any SEC team not only after but even during the game. Bottom line was they got beat by two TDs and had to come up with an excuse after the fact. We saw the same thing in a previous Alabama bowl game when they were drilled by Utah. Nope, didn't want to be there either. Seriously, just man up and take your loss like a man rather than a whiny bitch. Off the top of my head, I'm also looking at Georgia and Florida in recent years. Before the game, "they ain't SEC, they ain't Gators:" after the game, "we didn't want to be there."
Spare me.
I did not read about Alabama disrespecting OU but I believe losing to Auburn, especially the way they did, took something away from Alabama's resolve, and being a 17-1/2 point favorite may have contributed to Bama's sloppy effort. A bit like OU's effort in the 1978 Orange Bowl as OU was an 18 point favorite over Arkansas before losing 31-6.
All I heard was one of ESPN's "experts" saying Bama would win 48-10 just before kickoff, and hearing how over matched OU was by much of the media.
If Alabama "didn't want to be there" then Saban's team deserved to lose to a very focused and well-prepared OU team.....a team that played as if they had nothing to lose. I just wish OU had had the same focus in 9 other bowl games (too many of which were ass whippings).
The 2014 Sugar Bowl was one of OU's best bowl efforts and wins. I just wish it could have reaped a championship.

I did not read about Alabama disrespecting OU but I believe losing to Auburn, especially the way they did, took something away from Alabama's resolve, and being a 17-1/2 point favorite may have contributed to Bama's sloppy effort. A bit like OU's effort in the 1978 Orange Bowl as OU was an 18 point favorite over Arkansas before losing 31-6.
All I heard was one of ESPN's "experts" saying Bama would win 48-10 just before kickoff, and hearing how over matched OU was by much of the media.
If Alabama "didn't want to be there" then Saban's team deserved to lose to a very focused and well-prepared OU team.....a team that played as if they had nothing to lose. I just wish OU had had the same focus in 9 other bowl games (too many of which were ass whippings).
The 2014 Sugar Bowl was one of OU's best bowl efforts and wins. I just wish it could have reaped a championship.
I'm not sure I understand. You are referencing OU lacking focus in bowl games and when they presumably do, it is because their opponent lost a heartbreaker due to bad coaching? The game was not as close as the score, OU beat Bama all night, and their final yards gained was playing from behind all night. Sure Bama was the heavy favorite and Knight played well above his grade...but that is what can happen when two teams play a game football. I cannot ever imagine arguing OU lost a bowl game ( 4 weeks to prepare) because they lost a close one. And if I do shame on me.

I'm not sure I understand. You are referencing OU lacking focus in bowl games and when they presumably do, it is because their opponent lost a heartbreaker due to bad coaching? The game was not as close as the score, OU beat Bama all night, and their final yards gained was playing from behind all night. Sure Bama was the heavy favorite and Knight played well above his grade...but that is what can happen when two teams play a game football. I cannot ever imagine arguing OU lost a bowl game ( 4 weeks to prepare) because they lost a close one. And if I do shame on me.
My reference to OU losing to Arkansas in 1978 was about them being heavily favored and not because of a loss the game before. I believe overconfidence played a big part of that defeat.

My reference to OU losing to Arkansas in 1978 was about them being heavily favored and not because of a loss the game before. I believe overconfidence played a big part of that defeat.
Apologies I was referring to the Bama bowl game.

OU’s credibility has been hurt much more because of losing postseason bowl and playoff games….USC, LSU (twice), Clemson (twice), Alabama and Georgia….than being in the Big 12.
And whatever the SEC is or isn’t, in 12 of the last 18 years, an SEC team has won the National Championship, with Alabama winning six.
I think competing in the SEC is much more of a grind than it is in the Big 12.
OU’s win over Alabama in the Sugar Bowl was a great win, but with five turnovers, Alabama played one of its worst postseason games ever for whatever reason there was….which could have been overconfidence, a lack of respect for OU and feeling the hangover from the “kick six” loss to Auburn which ended Saban’s hope for playing for a championship.
That and Trevor Knight playing out of his mind. Stoops actually out maneuvered Bama in my opinion. That was when Bama still had very average qb's and Stoops realized that if we could keep it close or even get ahead that Bama would press with their average qb McCarron and it paid off. Still think Bama could have run Henry all night every play and we never would have stopped him.

Thanks for the info. I agree with the Tech to Pac 12 and probably OkieState but I hope Baylor goes to an also ran conference.
There are more teams than you think on the F***ed by conference realignment bubble

ISU & ku - supposedly B1G, but does B1G want 2 teams in Iowa or do they want a school with almost no football program? If B1G goes shopping, do they have better options? Also, I wonder with NIL if ku actually loses a recruiting advantage, because $100 handshakes aren't going to be nearly as effective.

OSU, KSU - I haven't paid much attention to teh Big XII over the last 5 years, but I feel like these schools have decent athletic programs. Neither of them have the academics that the B1G and the PAC want.

Baylor - finding a conference that wants murder, gang rapes and cover-ups is going to be a tough sell. Sure it's been a while on some of that stuff, but those a-holes let it happen.

Texas Tech - Academics are again the issue.

Reactions: ShamWowed
I have heard tid bits here and there that some believe the SEC will not stop with Uterus and OU, the real goal possibly being 20 teams eventually. Possibly by adding Clemson, FSU and Miami and one other School. A lot of speculation out there of course.

• Wow
There are more teams than you think on the F***ed by conference realignment bubble

ISU & ku - supposedly B1G, but does B1G want 2 teams in Iowa or do they want a school with almost no football program? If B1G goes shopping, do they have better options? Also, I wonder with NIL if ku actually loses a recruiting advantage, because $100 handshakes aren't going to be nearly as effective.

OSU, KSU - I haven't paid much attention to teh Big XII over the last 5 years, but I feel like these schools have decent athletic programs. Neither of them have the academics that the B1G and the PAC want.

Baylor - finding a conference that wants murder, gang rapes and cover-ups is going to be a tough sell. Sure it's been a while on some of that stuff, but those a-holes let it happen.

The remaining 8 will definitely be challenged and scrambling real soon if this actually goes down. It probably has already started. It will be interesting.

I always thought OU and UTerus were the main 2 that the SEC has always had their eyes on but settled for aTm (to get a toe in the State of Texas asap) and Missouri. I can't help but think it has always been discussed privately that OU and UTerus would join at a later date. When the Big 12 didn't replace them I knew the Conference was doomed and it was inevitable the 2 holding it together would bolt the first chance they got and the SEC always made more sense since Mizzou and Aggie were already there, made way more sense than the PAC and BIG.

It might seem like a shitty deal to the rest of the Big 12 but not a one of them would not trade places with OU and UTerus right now and would have played it exactly how it has come to be right now.
Did aggie, colorado, mizzou or nebraska care what would happen to the rest of the Big 12 when they left? Nope they did not. Then why should OU and uterus feel bad? The only reason it didn't fold either time was because of OU and UTerus. In this day and age of CF you better be ready to adapt and plan for your future or you WILL be left behind. Its changing fast whether or not if anyone likes it.

And screw those 11am kickoffs!

I'm a big fan of this living in the left coast, I have always loved the 9a starts. Now I get 8a starts and I can go to bed by 12p and maintain my weekend to my family. Thanks OU

Walker Tower! Eleventh floor! Shannon Miller shout out! Talk about weird. Being 6'3" and sharing a dorm floor with the Oklahoma gymnastic team in the 90s. Lots of awkward situations waiting on the elevator.

Actually, I am well aware of the issues these other teams are facing. I think the likelihood that several find themselves in a G5 conference are high. Further, I believe an attempt to resurrect the Big 12 will fail miserably simply due to lack of prestige and therefore viewership in this conference. New TV rights will not command the money they had with Ou and Tx. Cincy and Houston won't supplant what will be lost. Nor would BYU and as such, it will likely lose its Power conf status.

I think the OSU faithful should be more grateful than ever for Boone's generosity. Without the facility upgrades and above average performance on the field, OSU would have Tulsa as its main rival almost guaranteed. However, it appears they should have used some of the money in research to gain AAU status to be more acceptable to the Big 10 and possibly the PAC 12.

ADVERTISEMENT