ADVERTISEMENT

OU and Texas talking to bolt the Big 12 for the SEC.....

Interesting article. I think it may be a hard sell to get 11 of the 14 AD's to bring in OU and Texas. You already have schools like Ole Miss, Arkansas, Miss State, Kentucky etc. etc. that will always be middle of the road teams for the most part and I doubt any of them wants to add another hurdle they would have to jump. Then you have the A&M AD already whining about the possible addition which should not surprise anyone. Plus as mentioned add in the GOR and the earliest either one could join would be 2025 because of the money that would be lost. I want to believe it could happen but I think in the end to many factors are in play for it to become reality.

Interesting article. I think it may be a hard sell to get 11 of the 14 AD's to bring in OU and Texas. You already have schools like Ole Miss, Arkansas, Miss State, Kentucky etc. etc. that will always be middle of the road teams for the most part and I doubt any of them wants to add another hurdle they would have to jump. Then you have the A&M AD already whining about the possible addition which should not surprise anyone. Plus as mentioned add in the GOR and the earliest either one could join would be 2025 because of the money that would be lost. I want to believe it could happen but I think in the end to many factors are in play for it to become reality.
I believe if the superior powers of the SEC want it AND the legislative block with osu can happen, it is a done deal. The lower level teams of the SEC won't be affected; they will pick up their huge check at the end of the year and get their asses whooped.

I was thinking it was 2024 but I have over served myself a time or two in the past couple years.
the tv deal expires in 2025 guess the big 12 asked to start negotiating new deal last year and the networks said no then they scheduled nebraska game to kickoff at 11 am I'd like to see it happen but will have to wait and see what happens.

Reactions: LikeClicker3000
not a fan..........our rival game against osu would be gone. So many of these traditional games have been lost due to teams changing conferences.
Even if OU does jump ship it doesn’t mean the OSU rivalry would end. Just make it an annual OOC match-up game.

the kind of money the SEC pays out would be hard to pass up. Plus OU might even rise in the polls after a loss in the SEC. ( sarcasm) .

besides that according to Dennis Dodd at CBS sports OU and Tx would likely only be the 4th, 5th or 6th best program in the SEC.

OU won't win conference championships in the SEC as consistently as it has in the Big 12 and may regularly lose 3-4 games a season with at least the same amount of talent it always has....but money, as with everything else in life, trumps all concerns.

SEC would give us credibility that we don't currently have in the Big 12 and with a 12 team playoff, we'd still have an excellent chance of qualifying for postseason play.

That said, I've always thought the SEC is douchey and hypocritical e.g. when they when it's because they're great when they lose, it's because "they didn't want to be there" or because "the SEC schedule is such a grind."

OU won't win conference championships in the SEC as consistently as it has in the Big 12 and may regularly lose 3-4 games a season with at least the same amount of talent it always has....but money, as with everything else in life, trumps all concerns.
I don't know about regularly losing 3 or 4 games a season, but it will certainly be more difficult. We have made the playoffs numerous times and will probably make it this season as well. We may even be national champions this year. Besides money I'm not sure what other benefit we could get from it. We seem to be doing pretty darn good

SEC would give us credibility that we don't currently have in the Big 12 and with a 12 team playoff, we'd still have an excellent chance of qualifying for postseason play.

That said, I've always thought the SEC is douchey and hypocritical e.g. when they when it's because they're great when they lose, it's because "they didn't want to be there" or because "the SEC schedule is such a grind."
OU’s credibility has been hurt much more because of losing postseason bowl and playoff games….USC, LSU (twice), Clemson (twice), Alabama and Georgia….than being in the Big 12.
And whatever the SEC is or isn’t, in 12 of the last 18 years, an SEC team has won the National Championship, with Alabama winning six.
I think competing in the SEC is much more of a grind than it is in the Big 12.
OU’s win over Alabama in the Sugar Bowl was a great win, but with five turnovers, Alabama played one of its worst postseason games ever for whatever reason there was….which could have been overconfidence, a lack of respect for OU and feeling the hangover from the “kick six” loss to Auburn which ended Saban’s hope for playing for a championship.

Money rules and the rumors have already been confirmed. It's already on rails to completion or you wouldn't be hearing about it or hearing confirmations of the discussion. Vote is probably 13-0 with Aggie sitting it out in protest.

OU’s credibility has been hurt much more because of losing postseason bowl and playoff games….USC, LSU (twice), Clemson (twice), Alabama and Georgia….than being in the Big 12.
And whatever the SEC is or isn’t, in 12 of the last 18 years, an SEC team has won the National Championship, with Alabama winning six.
OU’s win over Alabama in the Sugar Bowl was a great win, but with five turnovers, Alabama played one of its worst postseason games ever for whatever reason there was….which could have been overconfidence, a lack of respect for OU and feeling the hangover from the “kick six” loss to Auburn which ended Saban’s hope for playing for a championship.
OU killed Florida and kicked Auburn pretty good to. Losing to Bama isn't just an OU thing. Pretty much everyone has been losing to them for several years now. OU is going to be fine no matter what conference they are in. I'm a traditionalist so I just can't see being in the SEC and not having bedlam every year. Losing the Nebraska rivalry was bad enough

CT it is obvious you think the SEC is above everyone else which in reality Alabama has always been the doninant team in that conference with a few other teams occasionally overtaking them.

the teams OU lost to were just the better team when OU played them on those days. The biggest issue vs LSU and UGA previously was a lack of defense. I get it that you buy into the “ SEC is the NFL” of college football but it just isn’t.

I agree OU wil not dominate but they will start pulling in SEC recruits from the likes of UGA, LSU etc etc by being a part of that conference which in the end will only strengthen the program. The likelyhood of losing 3-4 games on average a year is giving that conf to much credit. Yes some years that might happen but to put OU on the Aggie level is like saying those Aggies are equal to them.

OU isn’t TAM and yearly will be on par with the likes of UF, LSU, UGA and just like them should become a thorn for Bama. I just don’t buy into the theory OU becomes just an average program in the mighty SEC like others seem to. OU will do just fine and continue to make our fan base proud.

OU killed Florida and kicked Auburn pretty good to. Losing to Bama isn't just an OU thing. Pretty much everyone has been losing to them for several years now. OU is going to be fine no matter what conference they are in. I'm a traditionalist so I just can't see being in the SEC and not having bedlam every year. Losing the Nebraska rivalry was bad enough
Not that impressive:
Beat a 7-5 Arkansas team in the 2001 Cotton Bowl.
Beat an 8-5 Auburn team in the 2017 Sugar Bowl.
Beat an 8-5 Florida team, playing without 17 players of whom 8 were starters, in the 2020 Cotton Bowl.
If you want to hang your hat on OU's 45-31 Sugar Bowl upset of Alabama, go ahead.
And when all the numbers are tallied....bowl records, national rankings, national championships, producing the most NFL players...all debates of the SEC being overrated are weak.
I'm tired of the SEC dominance as much as anyone here, but watching CFB all my life and looking at the records and facts, I regard the SEC as the bully on the block, at least in this century so far.

CT it is obvious you think the SEC is above everyone else which in reality Alabama has always been the doninant team in that conference with a few other teams occasionally overtaking them.

the teams OU lost to were just the better team when OU played them on those days. The biggest issue vs LSU and UGA previously was a lack of defense. I get it that you buy into the “ SEC is the NFL” of college football but it just isn’t.

I agree OU wil not dominate but they will start pulling in SEC recruits from the likes of UGA, LSU etc etc by being a part of that conference which in the end will only strengthen the program. The likelyhood of losing 3-4 games on average a year is giving that conf to much credit. Yes some years that might happen but to put OU on the Aggie level is like saying those Aggies are equal to them.

OU isn’t TAM and yearly will be on par with the likes of UF, LSU, UGA and just like them should become a thorn for Bama. I just don’t buy into the theory OU becomes just an average program in the mighty SEC like others seem to. OU will do just fine and continue to make our fan base proud.
The SEC has beatable teams like the Big XII does. But look at the number of different teams in the SEC have won not only conference championships, but also national championships in the time the XII has existed.

Big XII (1996-2020)
OU-14 (1 Natty)
Texas - 3 (1 Natty)
Baylor - 2
KSU - 2
Nebraska - 2 (Not sure you can count this as Big XII depth since they aren't in Big XII anymore. Their last natty came in the Big 8)

SEC (1996-2020)
Alabama - 8 (6 Nattys)
LSU - 5 (2 Nattys)
Florida - 4 (3 Nattys)
Georgia - 3
Auburn - 2 (1 Natty)
Tennessee - 2 (1 Natty)

Since start of Big XII
Total National championships - Big XII 2, SEC 13 (SEC minus Alabama 7)
Number of different teams winning national championship Big XII 2, SEC 5
Number of teams to win more than one national championship Big XII 0, SEC 4

Not that impressive:
Beat a 7-5 Arkansas team in the 2001 Cotton Bowl.
Beat an 8-5 Auburn team in the 2017 Sugar Bowl.
Beat an 8-5 Florida team, playing without 17 players of whom 8 were starters, in the 2020 Cotton Bowl.
If you want to hang your hat on OU's 45-31 Sugar Bowl upset of Alabama, go ahead.
And when all the numbers are tallied....bowl records, national rankings, national championships, producing the most NFL players...all debates of the SEC being overrated are weak.
I'm tired of the SEC dominance as much as anyone here, but watching CFB all my life and looking at the records and facts, I regard the SEC as the bully on the block, at least in this century so far.
OU has winning records against Bama, Arkansas, Auburn, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, A&M, and Vanderbilt. They are 0 - 1 against Georgia, 1 - 1 against Florida, and 1 - 2 vs. LSU. They have not played the other SEC teams. I'd say we are doing just fine .

Funny how this suddenly comes up when the suck is knowingly down and we're about to hit it out of the park.
I think this could be more to do with the crap TV rights\schedules that the Big 12 receives than who is weak etc. One thing for sure, if we lose to K St., I St.,, or Baylor once a year, we better be ready for heavier hitters on a weekly basis.

The other aspect that makes me think this is a good move is in regards to the player money issues. I suspect the arms race is already in motion but the SEC will be better suited to drive some form of regulations (if you trust them). The other conferences will yield to the SEC dictates. Might as well be at the table than to receive the law through precedent by the top conference.

OU has winning records against Bama, Arkansas, Auburn, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, A&M, and Vanderbilt. They are 0 - 1 against Georgia, 1 - 1 against Florida, and 1 - 2 vs. LSU. They have not played the other SEC teams. I'd say we are doing just fine .
OU has only played TAMU once when TAMU was an SEC team and got blasted 41-13. The other wins were over TAMU as a SWC team.
OU's win over Arkansas as an SEC team in the 2001 Cotton Bowl was against a 7-5 Razorback team that year and the game was a very dull 10-3 win by OU's 11-2 team. And let's not forget Arkansas's stunning upset (31-6) in 1977 that deprived OU of a national championship after Holtz suspected five key players.
When did OU play Missouri as an SEC team ?
OU beat an 8-5 Auburn team in 2016 35-19 and beat a good Auburn team (11-2) in 1971 that lost its last game of the regular season to Alabama 31-7 before getting mauled by OU's wishbone 40-22.
A 2-9 1977 Vanderbilt team almost beat OU's 10-2 team and why even list Vanderbilt who's the SEC's version of Kansas ?
Not sure if OU's two wins over Kentucky were noteworthy....Kentucky was 0-10-1 in 1980 and 3-8 in 1982....and Kentucky's win in 1950 (13-7) was the only loss for OU that season.
Florida beat the 2008 OU team for the National championship....with all hands available.
OU lone win over LSU was in the 1950 Sugar Bowl against an 8-3 Tiger team.

I think this could be more to do with the crap TV rights\schedules that the Big 12 receives than who is weak etc. One thing for sure, if we lose to K St., I St.,, or Baylor once a year, we better be ready for heavier hitters on a weekly basis.
I agree with all this but I also feel the SEC will keep OU on its toes. Besides I rather play top ten teams whenever we can. Riley will get great athletes and he will have some of the best coaches calling when there’s an opportunity. It’s a win-win as far as I’m concerned, and as long as Riley continues to have great teams, I’m not concerned about the record. Some my fondest memories are of squads that lost big games. Game of the Century ring a bell? The great OU-Nebraska teams that gave fans so many thrills even when the Huskers prevailed. OU-TexAss. The Big 8 days were great but if we go to the SEC we should have more than just two BIG games every year. I’m ready to see the B12 out of the rearview mirror.

Last edited:
OU has only played TAMU once when TAMU was an SEC team and got blasted 41-13. The other wins were over TAMU as a SWC team.
OU's win over Arkansas as an SEC team in the 2001 Cotton Bowl was against a 7-5 Razorback team that year and the game was a very dull 10-3 win by OU's 11-2 team. And let's not forget Arkansas's stunning upset (31-6) in 1977 that deprived OU of a national championship after Holtz suspected five key players.
When did OU play Missouri as an SEC team ?
OU beat an 8-5 Auburn team in 2016 35-19 and beat a good Auburn team (11-2) in 1971 that lost its last game of the regular season to Alabama 31-7 before getting mauled by OU's wishbone 40-22.
A 2-9 1977 Vanderbilt team almost beat OU's 10-2 team and why even list Vanderbilt who's the SEC's version of Kansas ?
Not sure if OU's two wins over Kentucky were noteworthy....Kentucky was 0-10-1 in 1980 and 3-8 in 1982....and Kentucky's win in 1950 (13-7) was the only loss for OU that season.
Florida beat the 2008 OU team for the National championship....with all hands available.
OU lone win over LSU was in the 1950 Sugar Bowl against an 8-3 Tiger team.
TAMU being in the SEC had nothing to do with them beating OU. A guy named Manziel did.

So you are saying OU can only beat an SEC when that team is mediocre? I disagree. The SEC is a good conference but it also has many teams that are very average or below average.

I agree with all this but I also feel the SEC will keep OU on its toes. Besides I rather play top ten teams whenever we can. Riley will get great athletes and he will have some of the best coaches calling when there’s an opportunity. It’s a win-win as far as I’m concerned, and as long as Riley continues to have great teams, I’m not concerned about the record. Some my fondest memories are of squads that lost big games. Game of the Century ring a bell? The great OU-Nebraska teams that gave fans so many thrills even when the Huskers prevailed. OU-TexAss. The Big 8 days were great but if we go to the SEC we should have more than just two BIG games every year. I’m ready to see the B12 out of the rearview mirror.
I'm expecting it to take a couple of years to adjust to the conference yes they'll win games and make bowl games but not looking at making SEC championship game right off the bat now maybe if Auburn and alabama get moved to the east that'll make the road to the SEC championship game easier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT