ADVERTISEMENT

*OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA VERSUS WVU GAME THREAD*

I wouldn't be sad if Jeff Lebby went elsewhere. It appears he's in over his head. The "go fast" bullcrap causes the defense to be on the field all game, especially when the offense can't move the ball.

Don't believe me? The TOP stat for this season is beyond bad.

I am on board with improving this team whatever needs to happen. Venables trusts his Assistants far too much and lost whatever spark we saw in April. To keep with horrible schemes that have gotten worse this deep in the season is inexcusable. Lebby really is full of himself. Mr Bubble Pass and Jet Sweep and 2 yards average needs to realize that it’s not working...

A semblance of a defense would work wonders with OUr current offense. There is no excuse for the 3rd and 4th down conversions by the opposition. No excuse. Imo.

How would Lebby have done with the offenses of Mayfield, Murray, Hurts, or Caleb Willims?
The receiving corps is thin and not nearly up to OU's standards, the offensive line is still recovering from the losses of three starters and remains a work-in-progress even after ten games, and there seems to be a single back that OU wants to hang its hat on for one reason or another.
In addition, as Plaino stated weeks ago, Gabriel seems to have been an oversold commodity after playing very little the year before due to injury.
Meanwhile, even after being shut out by Texas, the offense is averaging 32 points per game, which is made irrelevant to OU's chronic defensive issues.
These are tangible REASONS that can't be interpreted as "excuses" or "blame" by people who have watched this team over the years.
I believe now that Jackson Arnold's recruitment is more important than ever.
I don't disagree at all. My point is it's hard to wear out a defense when your offense is only on the field 23 minutes. Of course that was also a result of the terrible 3rd down play. Conversely, the shaky OU defense spent 37 minutes on the field.

The go fast stuff doesn't seem to fool anyone but our own offense.

It's not all of it, but at least a part of it, it how many third downs we give away. Or 4th downs. WE JUMPED OFFSIDES ON FOURTH AND SIXTEEN!!!! This is stupidity level that is almost incomprehensible. We lined offsides on a third or fourth down. I believe there were at least three that kept their drives alive. Once you're out there, once they get that first 1st down on a possession, the advantage goes to the offense. Make it the second one, then a whole nother dynamic. And we're giving it away.

Brent said in his presser, that the conference said that the reneging on the late hit, should not have been taken back. That was the key play of the game. If the stripes don't do that, it's 4th and 26. I doubt they go for 4th and 26. And the Big XII officials have always taken of their top teams. OU and UT used to get all the breaks. Or at least more than their share. Now, the opposite is true. Taking back that late hit call, which was also targeting, we blatant. And we are living with the decision to leave.

We don't have the margin for error that we usually have. It is making a difference. But OUr defense just isn't getting it done, with no difference makers, and too much dumbness from players. We have become a pretty ordinary team.

Lebby's go fast offense may have worked in the SEC where they are not used to seeing it week in and week out, but Big 12 DCs have seen it for years. Lebby needs to slow it down see what the defense is giving him and then go. DG is an experienced QB with above avg football IQ let him audible and get the offense into a better play. We visited Lebby several times last spring as a staff (high school) there is a RPO on just about every play, but because it goes so fast the qb does not have the option to change the play. Lebby is a very smart guy and knows his football, and except for the Texas game, which I do not know what the hell he was trying to do, has done a nice job of calling games. He cant do anything about dropped balls, bad throws, batted balls, or penalties. I do wish he would use Parker and Willis more in the play action passing game.

Lebby's go fast offense may have worked in the SEC where they are not used to seeing it week in and week out, but Big 12 DCs have seen it for years. Lebby needs to slow it down see what the defense is giving him and then go. DG is an experienced QB with above avg football IQ let him audible and get the offense into a better play. We visited Lebby several times last spring as a staff (high school) there is a RPO on just about every play, but because it goes so fast the qb does not have the option to change the play. Lebby is a very smart guy and knows his football, and except for the Texas game, which I do not know what the hell he was trying to do, has done a nice job of calling games. He cant do anything about dropped balls, bad throws, batted balls, or penalties. I do wish he would use Parker and Willis more in the play action passing game.
My man, a big thanks for the insight.

I think it's less about SEC inexperience against fast offenses, and more about two things. One is that Lebby wasn't the prime guy in the Ole Miss offense. Lane KIffin was. And the other was that they had a much better quarterback than we do. I haven't seen any dropoff in the Ole Miss offense this season, with Jeff's departure.

Last edited:
I have been saying it for weeks now, My oldest Brother is basically from Ole Miss Royalty, he told me that the Offense would not miss Lebby and it was Kiffins all the way. Seems he was right but I doubted it at the time, not any longer. I think we have a lot of Coaches right now without a lot of experience doing what they were hired to do here and it shows. We knew Venables had zero HC experience but the rest are now just as Roof was then, Headscratchers looking back.

Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT