ADVERTISEMENT

In Summary...

Riley stated he, Joe C. & Boren had met. A decision was made to Suspend, punish, and apologize. Propping Baker up in front of cameras to apologize was BS. All of this should have been done internally. This would have been over in 48 hours. But the media were like crazed dogs & Boren fed them accordingly.

There was quite a lot of good info written & shared on the pay board.

Last edited:
Riley stated he, Joe C. & Boren had met. A decision was made to Suspend, punish, and apologize. Propping Baker up in front of cameras to apologize was BS. All of this should have been done internally. This would have been over in 48 hours. But the media were like crazed dogs & Boren fed them accordingly.
There was quite a lot of good info written & shared on the pay board.
You don't think much of people or Baker do you?

So, it's a mistake to apologize for poor behavior? I would think ALL Sooner Nation would be interested and invested in honoring and protecting it's brand. Certainly OU Admin is a part of this Nation and they believe it. Appears Baker does too.

What makes you think Baker was "propped up"? He doesn't have a mind of his own? You really believe he doesn't think it necessary to atone for his mistakes without being forced?

C'mon man.

Reactions: CTOkie
Evidently you're not following this story in great detail as I. So I choose to move on from your questions. Sorry soonerbro, but all the details are out there just do some research, and reading.

Reactions: BillyRay
I'm not sure if Mayfield's actions at the Kansas game alone were the reason for his "punishment". I think it was based on the combination of issues he has had, not just this most resent one. Previous forms of "punishment" haven't worked and that has to have been a factor following this latest event.
If Mayfield represents his team, his coaches and OU, then why shouldn't Boren have a say in this situation ? He's OU's president. Would any other person acting as OU's president have done anything different ?
Whether the Riley, Boren or Castiglione opinions are sincere or if they are based on just wanting to "throw a bone" to the media to facilitate putting this episode behind them, it still has been an unwanted thorn in their sides.
My opinion aside, I hope Riley's team can maintain its good run heading down the home stretch with Mayfield focused to get the job down.

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
If handled internally... I'd have no issue. But there was a tremendous amount of grandstanding to make OU look a certain way in the eyes of the PC world. A short statement sent via a press release would have been all that was needed.

Grandstanding??!!

Outside the realm of narcissism and the sycophantic, I would think most people believe in the common good of man to conduct themselves honorably. As I said earlier, I believe Baker to be sincere and a good man. His heartfelt apologies to me indicate as much.

Get real!

If handled internally... I'd have no issue. But there was a tremendous amount of grandstanding to make OU look a certain way in the eyes of the PC world. A short statement sent via a press release would have been all that was needed.
It could not have been handled internally....not when considering Mayfield's popularity nationwide, his track record and the OU brand name. Those three things cannot be overlooked.
A "short statement via a press release" would be viewed as an attempt to sweep this event under the carpet.
Mayfield left the OU with no other option.
Mayfield suspended himself.

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
It could not have been handled internally....not when considering Mayfield's popularity nationwide, his track record and the OU brand name. Those three things cannot be overlooked.
A "short statement via a press release" would be viewed as an attempt to sweep this event under the carpet.
Mayfield left the OU with no other option.
Mayfield suspended himself.

So what. Big deal. OU, Boren owes nothing to the general public. Nothing. If It's about Mayfield and his actions, then it's about Mayfield. It didn't have to happen. Boren chose to grand stand. It was nothing but a public relations stunt.

Funny story. I was at the girlfriends family Thanksgiving Dinner yesterday and was talking with her brother in law who is a piggie fan. He was telling me while his 10 yr old son was standing there, what the 10 yr old son says to people when he is playing the game Call of Duty WW2 online. He said he calls people Retarded Fa$$ets and he was laughing about it. Then he asks me what I thought about what Baker did vs kansass and how long do I think they hold him out? He went on to tell me that what Baker did was very vulgar. Ha ha. Hypocrite much? Has no problem with what his son says and even laughs about it but what Baker did appalled him. I explained what led up to Bakers outburst and he said he did not even know all that happened. People just see that one clip or pic and lose their minds and immediately think Baker is a bad person. Its not fair but the best way to avoid that is just don't do things like that.

Just curious about the Christian comment. How so?

The "softie" comment was so cute. Again, how so? If you don't mind.

I mind.
Everyone knows what's up on the Baker issue from many points of view. Including mine. You're late to the party but have fun sorting it out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT