ADVERTISEMENT

In Summary...

It was poor sportsmanship and a childish and stupid thing to do.
I thought this happened only in the NFL...and it's why I don't watch pro football. It's too much like a prison yard riot at times and other times has all the properties of WWF wrestling (which is a bogus sport and always has been).

I thought I was watching prison yard football & WFF wrestling when I watched the coin toss. Even the pros shake hands.

I thought I was watching prison yard football & WFF wrestling when I watched the coin toss. Even the pros shake hands.
That was a douche move but it reminded me of boxing or mma. Try to get in your opponents head prior to the match. Had no effect on the game but it was their attempt at some psychological warfare. In the end, they lost the battle. I just hope we don't lose the war because of it.

Reactions: iasooner1
Nope.
Although I was indeed offended when they refused to shake his hand. It's evident that if you f w/ the man, he'll f back. I'm good w/ that.
I agree with this. But I wasn't offended by anything that happened on the field. It didn't offend me when they refused to shake Bakers hand. It didn't offend me with their cheap shots during the game.
But don't dish it out if you can't take it. Kansas clearly had free reign to mouth at him all game and take cheap shots, but somehow Baker is the one held responsible for finally having enough and giving them a little of his mind as well??
If Baker were pulling stunts like this every Saturday, then that's one thing and would be a problem. But Kansas decided to step it up and Baker responded in this one instance. Glad he stood up for himself. And it doesn't embarrass me as a Sooner fan one bit.

Nope.
Although I was indeed offended when they refused to shake his hand. It's evident that if you f w/ the man, he'll f back. I'm good w/ that.
The final score should have been Mayfield's only answer to the handshake snub.
Would he have made the obscene gestures and f-bombs if the opposition had been Ohio State, Texas, TCU or OSU ?

Reactions: Oklabama
That was a douche move but it reminded me of boxing or mma. Try to get in your opponents head prior to the match. Had no effect on the game but it was their attempt at some psychological warfare. In the end, they lost the battle. I just hope we don't lose the war because of it.

I seriously doubt it. Baker & team will rally around this w/ an us against the world mentality... again. Baker is tougher mentally than most on this board and reporters that need a Baker in their life to 'make things happen'.

Nope.

Okay. But I’m not a fan of a little person. Too much of Baker reminds me of the dick head Trump. All about them. But if that’s not your deal, it doesn’t bother me. We just aren’t on the same page this time. Boomer!

The final score should have been Mayfield's only answer to the handshake snub.
Would he have made the obscene gestures and f-bombs if the opposition had been Ohio State, Texas, TCU or OSU ?

You seriously asking that question? Hell man, he planted an OU flag. on Bucknut's turf. BTW, have you seen the video of the Kansas player that was nut checking Baker?

I seriously doubt it. Baker & team will rally around this w/ an us against the world mentality... again. Baker is tougher mentally than most on this board and reporters that need a Baker in their life to 'make things happen'.
Not speaking from the point of Baker's mentality but more like without Baker on the field.

Okay. But I’m not a fan of a little person. Too much of Baker reminds me of the dick head Trump. All about them. But if that’s not your deal, it doesn’t bother me. We just aren’t on the same page this time. Boomer!

Nope... we're not Sir. He was challenged and he answered. And if you want to compare it to Trump, well go for it. Because Trump has pretty much done the same. He's punked everybody that's challenged him as well.

You Sir are the best of the best as far as I'm concerned. An d nothing that Baker can do, will do or has done will never change my point of view on that subject.

And that's all I have to say about that. ;)

You are what I what I like about real Sooner fans. We don’t always have to agree but always want the best for the program. Just have differenting opinions sometimes. Nothing wrong with that, in fact, it’s healthy.

I think all this was kind of dumb but if the bastard wants to be Darth Vader then so be it as long as the dark side wins a National Championship. It was cringe worthy in my opinion and rather low brow, but after the handshake ordeal, the no targeting call and them holding him on the ground after a play...I think he has a right to be upset. Not sure the nut grabbing on National TV when you are a Heisman candidate and going into the draft was a good idea but I'll watch a redneck any time they say "hey y'all, watch this" and have a good laugh which is how I think a whole lot of people watching the game felt.

Last edited:
You seriously asking that question? Hell man, he planted an OU flag. on Bucknut's turf. BTW, have you seen the video of the Kansas player that was nut checking Baker?
Mayfield planted the flag at Columbus after the game, thereby avoiding any retaliation by Ohio State players and fans.
But I don’t really have an issue with him doing it because I don’t regard it as a big deal.
I starting to wonder if you would rather see a football game or a backstreet gang encounter.
The “us against the world” rhetoric on this event is bullshit. That’s the same crap we heard from Miami during the Johnson and Walsh eras.
Riley is handling it the best way possible and it’s to his credit he isn’t ignoring this situation.

Mayfield planted the flag at Columbus after the game, thereby avoiding any retaliation by Ohio State players and fans.
But I don’t really have an issue with him doing it because I don’t regard it as a big deal.
I starting to wonder if you would rather see a football game or a backstreet gang encounter.
The “us against the world” rhetoric on this event is bullshit. That’s the same crap we heard from Miami during the Johnson and Walsh eras.
Riley is handling it the best way possible and it’s to his credit he isn’t ignoring this situation.

Miami's swagger kicked our ass.

Miami's swagger kicked our ass.
Miami was a better team. Their NFL caliber defense was too much for the wishbone and their passing game riddled OU. Plus two of the three games were played in Miami.
We had plenty of “swagger” with Switzer’s teams. The Canes were just simply better....and those three losses in 1985, in 1986 and in 1987 hastened the end of the wishbone era at OU.

The '85 loss took out Aikman and ushered in JH who won an mnc that year vs Penn St when Iowa lost the Rose with Chuck (3rd &) Long and their RB had 3 fumbles.
There was another big upset that day (Tennessee ?) that helped OUr cause I believe

The other two games put the dagger in the Wishbone era

Last edited:
What is sad is all of this is because of a team like Kansas. It's just pathetic to me that they get a pass for the crap these losers pulled.
You couldn't be more wrong if your point is to blame the "crotch controversy" on Kansas.

I would be angry too at the Kansas players if I were Baker. I have zero problem with his anger. It's his poor handling of the situation that was correctly called out. The lopsided OU win should have been his answering statement to the KU players poor sportsmanship. Baker unfortunately decided to match their disrespect with his own.

Only Baker is responsible for Baker. Hopefully this incident will not haunt him and OU.

You couldn't be more wrong if your point is to blame the "crotch controversy" on Kansas.

I would be angry too at the Kansas players if I were Baker. I have zero problem with his anger. It's his poor handling of the situation that was correctly called out. The lopsided OU win should have been his answering statement to the KU players poor sportsmanship. Baker unfortunately decided to match their disrespect with his own.

Only Baker is responsible for Baker. Hopefully this incident will not haunt him and OU.

I don't blame them for what Baker did. I never said that. The hand shake snub was bullshit. The late hit should have been a targeting foul and an ejection and supposedly there is more crap they pulled on the field we didn't see. They should be held accountable by thier coach and university as well.

I was at the 1985 Miami game and "swagger" doesn't do justice to the outright intimidation the 'Canes laid on the Sooners. When Johnson led them out for the start of the game their entire team came to mid-field and began taunting the Sooners who had already taken the field. Bosworth was the only Sooner to respond. The rest of the team just stood there somewhat dumb struck. It went down hill from there.

They did the same in the '88 Orange Bowl...They had a Special Section for the Player's Families, folding chairs, right down on the field, which turned out to be the worst seats in the stadium. The 'canes rushed across the field, full-speed, and put on the brakes just before they came crashing into our laps. I've never been so threatened in my life...Felt as though I'd been running with the Bulls...Ole'! :rolleyes:

My one question to anyone with kids is do you really want them idolizing anyone? It seems to me putting anyone on a pedestal is setting both parties up for failure. I get the image PR spin the university must go through to simulate discipline within the ranks of the program. The reality though, and granted I am not a parent, is that people worship is a losing proposition. People will always let you down at some point. Baker is as Type A as probably many of us who have been in many fights over our lives. Accept it, discipline it when out of hand, don't emulate that aspect of his character little Johnny, no one is perfect and blah blah blah. Just curious if you guys and gals disagree?
I couldn't disagree more that idolizing someone is a bad thing sets a person up for failure or is a losing proposition. My boyhood idol was Mickey Mantle. Despite his problems with his personal life that came to light after his baseball career ended, I still loved the guy. I am retired now. I had a successful career as a high school teacher and coach. My idolizing of Mickey Mantle did not impact me negatively in any way. If anything the hours my brother and I spent playing whiffle ball in the back yard in which I pretended to be Mickey Mantle, had a positive influence on me. My son is a successful sports broadcaster and my daughter is a high school math teacher. As kids both had sports figures as idols. People worshiping (having an idol) can be an inspirational experience and certainly is not categorically a losing proposition, as you state.

I don't blame them for what Baker did. I never said that. The hand shake snub was bullshit. The late hit should have been a targeting foul and an ejection and supposedly there is more crap they pulled on the field we didn't see. They should be held accountable by thier coach and university as well.
For the record, I didn't post that you said that. I posted IF that was your point.

Other than that, I couldn't agree more with your above.

I'm 68 and I know about maturity and when someone is lacking it.
Mayfield is not a bad MAN at all. He just needs to grow up, especially as a team leader, a team captain and as a high profile shoe-in for the Heisman Trophy.
Mayfield will be 23 in April. He's chronologically and physically an adult....a man. It's time for his mind to catch up.
And I am 73. Level of maturity and all that bullshit has nothing to do with his actions. Sometimes the level of provocation is such that you just lose it- you lash out in anger. It doesn't make a rats ass if you are six or sixty six. Baker knew they were trying to take him out and he knew that the gutless officials were not going to do anything about it.

And I am 73. Level of maturity and all that bullshit has nothing to do with his actions. Sometimes the level of provocation is such that you just lose it- you lash out in anger. It doesn't make a rats ass if you are six or sixty six. Baker knew they were trying to take him out and he knew that the gutless officials were not going to do anything about it.
Mayfield has had plenty to apologize for, with or without provocation.

First it was the Mixon deal now this.Baker has 3 games left at best.I will be glad when it runs its course.I hope we can have a few years without any controversy,it will be a welcomed break.I love Baker's fire but we need a cooling down period from all of this.Please OU players do the right thing for awhile we fans could use a boring off-season.

Mayfield has had plenty to apologize for, with or without provocation.

He apologized. Either accept it or trade in your OU hat until he's gone. But the continual bitching about it his antics makes you look like the President of the Pussification of America Club. Baker has done more for the good of the OU football program than any player in many, many years. If you can't handle this, then check your own personal level of maturity.

Last edited:
First it was the Mixon deal now this.Baker has 3 games left at best.I will be glad when it runs its course.I hope we can have a few years without any controversy,it will be a welcomed break.I love Baker's fire but we need a cooling down period from all of this.Please OU players do the right thing for awhile we fans could use a boring off-season.

You're acting as if Baker & Mixon are conjoined twins. The facts show that OU has had fans that haven't appreciated all the players for many years. And not just since Mixon arrived on campus. Who were the trouble boys of the 50's? the 60's?, the 70's?, there was quite a few in the 80's, right? Name them. The 90's were somewhat tame, but then the new millennial brought more issues. Name the problem children in the era.

All theses years, all these problem players, yet some of you still value OU football. This to will pass. Baker will forever be the known as the best damn OU football player to ever walk onto the field and take away scholarship football player's spots. In years from now he will also be known for grabbing his balls and yelling at Kansas players because they refused to shake his hand and targeted him in an attempt to take him out the game... it is what it is. Eventually we will all get a laugh at this down the road. I'm already laughing.

I will say this, regardless of which side you are on regarding Baker's conduct. Is there anyone on here who actually approves of the OU administration deciding to send Baker out and stand at a podium and get emotional beaten up by the media as he breaks down over and over?? I'm sorry, but I think that makes Boren pathetic, JoeC pathetic, and prolly even Riley pathetic. Though Riley being a first year coach, I'm sure he had the least amount of input on how the university should have handled this.

What a sad, pathetic display that OU made of Baker Mayfield in that presser. A kid that walked onto OUs football team with zero promises, worked his tail off to become the best college player in the country, and carry this team on his shoulders for OUs 2nd probable playoff appearance. I really hope the OU administration were proud of what they accomplished with watching Baker being humiliated up at that podium.

ADVERTISEMENT