ADVERTISEMENT

In Summary...

He apologized. Either accept or trade in your OU hat until he's gone. But the continual bitching about it his antics makes you look like the President of the Pussification of America Club. Baker has done more for the good of the OU football program than any player in many, many years. If you can't handle this, then check your own personal level of maturity.
We are discussing his latest misdeed and while I think he’s a good person at heart as well as the best player in CFB my concern is when will he focus on presenting himself as a man who represents OU on the field and off the field....and on the sidelines.
I’m expressing a viewpoint here. I’m not attacking the manhood, level of maturity, or worthiness as a fan of anyone here..... unlike you and some others who seem too incensed over this issue.
I did not create Mayfield’s problem. ESPN did not create it. Mayfield created it and has owned up to it, much to his credit.
I only want this team to recover from this and continue its run.

Well, we cannot all be perfect and blame our mistakes on others. :D
hillary-bored-570x443.jpg

We are discussing his latest misdeed and while I think he’s a good person at heart as well as the best player in CFB my concern is when will he focus on presenting himself as a man who represents OU on the field and off the field....and on the sidelines.
I’m expressing a viewpoint here. I’m not attacking the manhood, level of maturity, or worthiness as a fan of anyone here..... unlike you and some others who seem too incensed over this issue.
I did not create Mayfield’s problem. ESPN did not create it. Mayfield created it and has owned up to it, much to his credit.

Strange as you have been calling him immature in just about every post.
I know I said I was done on the subject but I have an opinion as well and I will put it out there. As much as we like to say players should act a certain way and represent their respective schools some fans should listen to their own advice. Lets follow some fans around for a season and see how they act. Lets see if all these fans and media members that have been soooooo offended by Bakers actions, lets see if they lead by example everyday. To tell you the truth I am sick of people trying to dictate how others should act. You are only responsible for your own actions and to tell you the truth I am ashamed how many Sooner fans have gone after Mayfield after what the KU Thugs did yet they will say the actions of the KU players is a KU problem. Um no thats incorrect. You cannot advocate integrity and sportsmanship on just one man or one team. Baker owned it and apologized. Now lets air your dirty laundry on the Scoop so we can judge you for every bad thing you have done or at least let us be the judge jury and executioner as you seem to be with Mayfield, otherwise just stfu already, you have been bitching about it for days now. You accused me of being worked up about it a few days ago, well now I am worked up about it. Hope you can tell the difference, it goes South from here.

Well you could have fooled me! And others I reckon. Because you have posted about what you think is his level of immaturity many times. Baker & his developing manhood doesn’t score TDs. While I wish him all the best in his adult life, for me... he’s here to win games for OU football. Not much more & not much less. His antics are only the side show. The potato of the steak dinner. The real show is his ability to lead a team down the field score. Often to match his opponent. He does this continuously. I just hope Boren’s BS of tearing him down doesn’t do more harm for OU than good.

You have chosen to ignore what I have said about this event, otherwise you would know I have not advocated any punishment for Mayfield, only disappointment and concern.
While I have no control over the situation, I am entitled to have an opinion....an OPINION....which is not an attempt to "dictate" how others should act or how others should regard Mayfield.
And while I have said he's immature, I have not said he's a bad person.
You're taking my opinion on this too personally and too seriously.

After bitching about him for a friggin’ week, I bet you’ll be cheering your ass off for him on Saturday. Such is the life of the morality police.

Enjoy the game.

Well you could have fooled me! And others I reckon. Because you have posted about what you think is his level of immaturity many times. Baker & his developing manhood doesn’t score TDs. While I wish him all the best in his adult life, for me... he’s here to win games for OU football. Not much more & not much less. His antics are only the side show. The potato of the steak dinner. The real show is his ability to lead a team down the field score. Often to match his opponent. He does this continuously. I just hope Boren’s BS of tearing him down doesn’t do more harm for OU than good.
You certainly don't expect much from an OU student-athlete. Your "he's here to win games for OU football. Not much more & not much less" is absurd.

The minute he strapped on an OU practice jersey, he had, and accepted, a duty and obligation to favorably represent his school, teammates, and society in general. It's easy to graciously accept winning but it's much more challenging to allow adversity to mold good character.

Baker has shown he has a ways to go to building good citizenship and enviable character imho. Truly hope he learns from his mistakes. I believe he is really a good guy who IS learning...slowly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schoonerman
Tramel and Jenni aren't too bad. Many times you just have to realize they have opinions that don't exactly align with yours.

I actually think Tramel is a good writer.

Jenni is young and still growing IMO. She's far better than she was 10 years ago or whenever it was she first started. That was some horrendous writing, but her writing has gotten better, so I'm not one to kick her in the teeth.

You certainly don't expect much from an OU student-athlete. Your "he's here to win games for OU football. Not much more & not much less" is absurd.

The minute he strapped on an OU practice jersey, he had, and accepted, a duty and obligation to favorably represent his school, teammates, and society in general. It's easy to graciously accept winning but it's much more challenging to allow adversity to mold good character.

Baker has shown he has a ways to go to building good citizenship and enviable character imho. Truly hope he learns from his mistakes. I believe he is really a good guy who IS learning...slowly.

Phooey. He's an athlete. I expect him to win games. CT thinks he's immature. You think he has bad character. Blah, blah, blah. The kid has made more money for OU than all other students combined. What you want is for him and I guess all athletes is to be disrespected & then targeted for injury, and then ignore it & allow it to pass. I hope no OU athlete succumbs to that type of BS.

Fortworth, I believe you and I value Mayfield as both a great player and as a person, which is why his latest meltdown last Saturday is so concerning to us.
Opinions on this board are not really important. What is important....much more important...is the perception of Mayfield and the Oklahoma program nationwide. Fairly or unfairly, Mayfield's legacy has received a very unnecessary and very ill-conceived blow.
Mayfield has a long life ahead of him and all the negative issues around him can be wiped away by him learning that the ripple effect of youthful misdeeds, however insignificant at the time, can linger for a lifetime. But I have always believed that a youthful mistake can be a good tool for learning life's lessons. Therefore, I'm very much pulling for Mayfield to go forward by representing himself better and getting out from under an ego-driven sense of entitlement. Too many players cannot do this. Mayfield can. I think he will.

Therefore, I'm very much pulling for Mayfield to go forward by representing himself better and getting out from under an ego-driven sense of entitlement. Too many players cannot do this. Mayfield can. I think he will.

He plays with a lot of hate as if he's playing with all of the disrespect he's received. He's a self-admitted Halo pro too. Not sure how much a lot of you guys know the online gaming world, but it is the absolute bastion of disrespect and poor sportsmanship.
I personally don't think he needs it for his game. I think it's just the way he's been. Age will chill him for sure and make him way smarter.

Years and years ago before I had a kid, I used to play some online games right around the time "team chat" was being invented (where you wear headphones and mics). I'm a really laid back guy that doesn't get rattled ever. The stuff they'd say on those games would bring out the Devil in me. lol. One specific time, I was responding to something someone said to me. I then got a funny feeling in my bones and looked over to see my at-then-wife standing in the doorway with a look of amazement on her face. All she said was, "Who are you talking to?" And all I could respond was, "No one." And I slinked away off of the game in the most embarrassment I've had in my life. I haven't played online games again since. We're rounding 2 decades.

What is important....much more important...is the perception of Mayfield and the Oklahoma program nationwide.

If you think this one incident has changed the perception of OU, then you're way, way off. I give a far greater credit to people as most are smart enough & can easily separate the player from the program.

Baker & OU are in great shape despite the morality police.

I am almost 76 years old. I have lived through the entire heyday of Sooner football. I've watched our illegal oil patch recruiting in the 50's. I've been through Bud' s well documented transgressions, I've lived Joe Don Looney, the grade transcript change of Kerry Jackson, the "Barry had it in for Larry" episode. The S.I. cover of Charles Thompson, Jerry Parks and Zarek Peters and Uzis in the dorm, etc., etc., etc. Baker's recent incidents pale in comparison to our historically reckless past. I hope he goes over and kicks Dana in in the nuts.

No one has compared Mayfield's action to those events you mentioned.
It would be wrong compare the events you mentioned and it is wrong to think it is being done.

I was simply listing the various incidents I can recall and they are not the only ones. Everyone wants to try and make this current flap as a stain on the program or on the university. PLEASE! It's much adieu about nothing. Those who seem bent on criticizing Baker are all a bunch of hypocrites who have forgotten what they did when they were young and dumb. And let's not forget, it's not just a sport...its entertainment. Baker is the best thing to happen to this program since the 2000 NC. We are damn lucky to have him.

Mayfield is the face of this team.
He is an iconic player and perhaps the most impactful player in OU history.
Yes, he is the best thing to have happened to OU on the field since 2000.
When I was "young and dumb" I made mistakes, like all of us have.....but I wasn't a high profile celebrity or in a position of leadership where my mistakes could affect others besides myself or compromise my own image long term.
When I saw Mayfield's actions last Saturday I cringed, knowing there would be a reaction by many and knowing that the focus would be on Mayfield rather than the childish and violent actions by Kansas players, or of the great season Riley's team is having going down the home stretch.
To some OU fans, this is much ado about nothing, but to some OU fans and the media, and I have to assume Coach Riley, it IS a concern.
I have been accused of disrespecting Mayfield by questioning his level of maturity, been called a hypocrite, had my manhood challenged, and have been accused of political correctness for expressing disappointment of Mayfield's actions.....as if I created this problem by feeling the way I do.
Concerns and opinions expressed here should not be the cause of hypertension. But that's like wishing for world peace.

When I was "young and dumb" I made mistakes, like all of us have.....but I wasn't a high profile celebrity or in a position of leadership where my mistakes could affect others besides myself or compromise my own image long term.
When I saw Mayfield's actions last Saturday I cringed, knowing there would be a reaction by many and knowing that the focus would be on Mayfield rather than the childish and violent actions by Kansas players, or of the great season Riley's team is having going down the home stretch.
To some OU fans, this is much ado about nothing, but to some OU fans and the media, and I have to assume Coach Riley, it IS a concern.
I have been accused of disrespecting Mayfield by questioning his level of maturity, been called a hypocrite, had my manhood challenged, and have been accused of political correctness for expressing disappointment of Mayfield's actions.....as if I created this problem by feeling the way I do.
Concerns and opinions expressed here should not be the cause of hypertension. But that's like wishing for world peace.

CT you have an opinion like everyone else and I can respect that. We are not always going to agree about everything and that is fine too. Sorry if my post was a bit harsh but I have misunderstood some perceptions about Baker on the board recently. For a while I got the feeling some wished he was gone already but I know thats not the case. Hope you and everyone else has a great Thanksgiving. I am thankful for the scoop as its a good place to let out some steam when we are a little upset with the Sooners play and actions. Without it sometimes I wonder what I would do and where and whom could I vent those frustrations to. We may not always get along on the scoop but we are all Sooners and care about our team. Nothing wrong with that at all, its a good thing.

Last edited:
I am almost 76 years old. I have lived through the entire heyday of Sooner football. I've watched our illegal oil patch recruiting in the 50's. I've been through Bud' s well documented transgressions, I've lived Joe Don Looney, the grade transcript change of Kerry Jackson, the "Barry had it in for Larry" episode. The S.I. cover of Charles Thompson, Jerry Parks and Zarek Peters and Uzis in the dorm, etc., etc., etc. Baker's recent incidents pale in comparison to our historically reckless past. I hope he goes over and kicks Dana in in the nuts.

Agreed. Many foe and even some fans are blasting Mayfield. I think what he did was deserving and found it to be very, very entertaining. Now some are backing the truck up a bit after a few days. They are beginning to realize that this was a nothing burger all along. But I'll go on the record now and say that if Mayfield loses this weekend, blame it on Boren. He has completely tore down Baker in an attempt to make himself look saintly.

Reactions: iasooner1

Interesting. When I saw it I laughed (literally) and then thought about how the PC world would carve him up. You and others did. I also think Riley was forced to punish him. All should have been handled internally w/ a short succinct statement and a short to the point apology. Nothing more, nothing less. BTW, it appears that you can personally call out Baker for his shortcomings but when someone does the same to you you play the victim card. Poor thing.

CT you have an opinion like everyone else and I can respect that. We are not always going to agree about everything and that is fine too. Sorry if my post was a bit harsh but I have misunderstood some perceptions about Baker on the board recently. For a while I got the feeling some wished he was gone already but I know that's not the case. Hope you and everyone else has a great Thanksgiving. I am thankful for the scoop as its a good place to let out some steam when we are a little upset with the Sooners play and actions. Without it sometimes I wonder what I would do and where and whom could I vent those frustrations to. We may not always get along on the scoop but we are all Sooners and care about our team. Nothing wrong with that al all, its a good thing.
I like your inputs here and always have.

Interesting. When I saw it I laughed (literally) and then thought about how the PC world would carve him up. You and others did. I also think Riley was forced to punish him. All should have been handled internally w/ a short succinct statement and a short to the point apology. Nothing more, nothing less. BTW, it appears that you can personally call out Baker for his shortcomings but when someone does the same to you you play the victim card. Poor thing.
I "carved him up" by saying I was disappointed in Mayfield's gestures ?
When have you called me out for my "shortcomings" ? What am I a "victim" of ?

I "carved him up" by saying I was disappointed in Mayfield's gestures ?
When have you called me out for my "shortcomings" ? What am I a "victim" of ?

You must've mis-remembered. Happy Thanksgiving CT!

Phooey. He's an athlete. I expect him to win games. CT thinks he's immature. You think he has bad character. Blah, blah, blah. The kid has made more money for OU than all other students combined. What you want is for him and I guess all athletes is to be disrespected & then targeted for injury, and then ignore it & allow it to pass. I hope no OU athlete succumbs to that type of BS.
Sorry for the length.

I, too, have high expectations for Baker and his mates. As a fan of Baker and his teammates, my expectations for them go beyond just their on-field exploits. Your posting seems to portray extremism and a view of life as black or white only.

I don't think Baker is bereft of a quality character as you seem to believe I believe. He reacted though to adversity during the game in a bizarre manner. Some could even say his antics were borderline "lewd" but they were definitely way beyond the bounds of what is generally considered the "fighting spirit" of todays gladiator. Thank goodness he showed enough restraint as to not drop trow and moon them or deliver a "fruit salad".

Such actions last Saturday even when provoked possibly beyond the norm will never reflect favorably on anyone or their institutions. Some in Sooner Nation will applaud such behavior and will find ways to justify it. But, I believe most will care enough about the individual and the team to want better. I care about Baker beyond his athletic glory. I care that he and the university that he represents is viewed favorably and without unnecessary stain. Most here have gone through the blemishes of our past and would prefer the good times over unwanted controversy. Controversy seems to linger far, far longer than the moments of an individual or team glory.

Most of your above seems really bizarre. Especially your conclusions to support your questionable narrative..

Last edited:
So I watch an Old Miss receiver get on all 4s and lift his leg acting as if he is pissing in the other team's endzone. Quite a disgusting display. I bet you don't see the talking heads showing outrage over that.

Also the Miss St. Qb that had his foot adjusted to face backwards was flipping the bird while he was being carted off on the gator, he tweeted from the sidelines later that it was an inside joke to his bro. Yeah riiiiiiiight. Nothing said about that either on espin during the game. A lot of Extracurricular Activities during that game and one ole piss player was ejected for too many unsportsmanlike penalties but its the sec and espin has no problem with anything their players do. AGENDA'S.

15bbc477042748939650579782b81cdc.jpg

Last edited:
ESPN picks and chooses it's stories based on the player. High profile players like Mayfield are big news when they do something caught while a lesser player if caught is basically dismissed and rarely talked about. It is the nature of the beast and let's not forget this same media outlet along with many others continued to crucify Mixon over his incident because it was news and a way to try and broadcast negative news about OU.

If Mayfield was just another QB and OU was 7-4 or even 8-3 at this point this whole thing would have been blown over in a days time. We all know these type of actions between teams and players go on every Saturday during games but this day and time the high profile athletes have to realize that the camera's seem to zoom in on them during the games more than others on the sidelines which increases the risk of them being caught and creating that news.

My thought process at first was " Come on Baker you didn't just do that" because I knew the media would jump all over this because to them it just added fuel to the fire for them. I wish he hadn't got caught on camera doing it but can understand his frustration with what all went on in that game.

BTW I guess I didn't see the Boren reaction but from what I can tell from WNAS repsonse he attempted to tear Baker down. If someone doesn't mind could they link that story for me to read.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
ADVERTISEMENT