ADVERTISEMENT

In Summary...

"Lots of people face situations that are emotionally charged. Arguments. Danger. Fights. Stress. But they keep their cool."
And lots of people don't keep their cool.
I was about Baker's age when I did the same thing in a rec league softball game. As soon as I left the field (after having my say), I knew I was wrong. I'm certainly glad I wasn't ostracized by society over the incident. I even spoke to the umpire later and SHE laughed it off. Fortunately, no one died from my actions. And that was certainly not the worst thing I did in my 20s.
Some think I am a bad person because I won't take Baker to task over his actions. What Baker did was not how he should have acted, but it is how he acted. No one was injured. Move on.

Carlson's remarks are valid and Mayfield's repeated apologies are getting old.
Great player.
Perhaps the greatest offensive (no pun intended) player in OU history.
A talent that comes along once in a generation.
But his side shows reflect immaturity and cannot be equated with "passion" or being the "emotional leader" of the team.

Not defending the f bombs but did you watch the game. Kansas was disrespecting and trying to take Baker out of the game and the refs were letting it happen. The refs should have addressed it at the coin toss and things would not have escalated out of hand. I'll let Lincoln take the necessary discipline measures and thank you, Jenni Carlson, but don't need your self righteous judgement. What Baker did last Feb and yesterday do not even come close to Manzel behavior.

Not defending the f bombs but did you watch the game. Kansas was disrespecting and trying to take Baker out of the game and the refs were letting it happen. The refs should have addressed it at the coin toss and things would not have escalated out of hand. I'll let Lincoln take the necessary discipline measures and thank you, Jenni Carlson, but don't need your self righteous judgement. What Baker did last Feb and yesterday do not even come close to Manzel behavior.
Nah...I didn't watch the game. Why would I? I can learn everything I need to know from espin and Facebook, where their responses are all over the scale...From booting him off of the team, to making his Heisman Statue reflect yesterday's gesture...

the only time he needed to apologize for was to the kids that look up to him...that was what disappointed me the most...I was a collegiate athlete and can say what he did and said is common the only thing between him and anyone else is he is on national television...crap like this happens no matter what level you compete...he was irresponsible but the only apology he ever needed to make was to his University and the fans and kids he represents or that follow him...screw the other team....whether it was Ohio St or KU. And about this summer to it was not even an issue, if it were 15 years ago it would have never been an issue...no video no issue...it just gave opponents at gameday great Baker fodder for their signs. He should have never ran....sure it sucked but its over...stairs and and lots of sweat are in order...what Baker did was miniscule to what Jameis Winston did...and the whole Baylor cluster no one in the media or the NCAA ever did anything about those.. The NFL actually glorified it.....this is childs play comparatively

Yeah, Baker is here for only a few more games and then he is gone, that should make a lot of people smile especially OU's opponents but a few on here as well sadly.
You would think Baker had robbed a bank, hit a woman, was busted for drugs, was accused of rape, killed someone etc. He grabbed his own junk and dropped some f bombs. You think thats bad come follow me around for a day or two and I am 50 not 22.

Yeah, Baker is here for only a few more games and then he is gone, that should make a lot of people smile especially OU's opponents but a few on here as well sadly.
You would think Baker had robbed a bank, hit a woman, was busted for drugs, was accused of rape, killed someone etc. He grabbed his own junk and dropped some f bombs. You think thats bad come follow me around for a day or two and I am 50 not 22.
I'm 68 and I know about maturity and when someone is lacking it.
Mayfield is not a bad MAN at all. He just needs to grow up, especially as a team leader, a team captain and as a high profile shoe-in for the Heisman Trophy.
Mayfield will be 23 in April. He's chronologically and physically an adult....a man. It's time for his mind to catch up.

I will not live to see it but someday there will be a " 30-30" episode on Baker that will be a Bosworth dejavu all over again.
Maybe. Maybe not.
If OU wins 4 more games this season, no one here will care if Mayfield stampedes cattle through the Vatican on Christmas Eve.
Bosworth is living proof of how behavior at a young age can follow a person for the rest of his life. Bosworth is now a good man, but filled with a lot of remorse over his life as a "kid".

I'm 68 and I know about maturity and when someone is lacking it.
Mayfield is not a bad MAN at all. He just needs to grow up, especially as a team leader, a team captain and as a high profile shoe-in for the Heisman Trophy.
Mayfield will be 23 in April. He's chronologically and physically an adult....a man. It's time for his mind to catch up.

Yeah and I know people that are older than myself that act like they are 10. I think its more personality than immaturity. I have seen grown men and women act like kids on Black Friday, just one example. Are they being immature or just a holes? I say the latter.
One can say worrying about what others do is a sign of immaturity I suppose.
If you put your faith in other people they will let you down every time.
Personally I stopped worrying about what others thought of me years ago. I am sure Baker does not lose any sleep over such things either.
We want these guys to play a violent game for our enjoyment but expect them to act like little angels, not gonna happen most of the time.

Yeah and I know people that are older than myself that act like they are 10. I think its more personality than immaturity. I have seen grown men and women act like kids on Black Friday, just one example. Are they being immature or just a holes? I say the latter.
One can say worrying about what others do is a sign of immaturity I suppose.
If you put your faith in other people they will let you down every time.
Personally I stopped worrying about what others thought of me years ago. I am sure Baker does not lose any sleep over such things either.
We want these guys to play a violent game for our enjoyment but expect them to act like little angels, not gonna happen most of the time.
Bullshit.
Riley had his top player grab his crotch and yell obscenities across a football field. Riley received a slap in the face from Mayfield on nationwide television.
No one player is bigger than the program or OU’s legacy. Mayfield is no exception.

Bullshit.
Riley had his top player grab his crotch and yell obscenities across a football field. Riley received a slap in the face from Mayfield on nationwide television.
No one player is bigger than the program or OU’s legacy. Mayfield is no exception.

Horseshit.
Maybe Riley should just kick him off the team. At this point I am moving on. Will take a lot more than what he has done for me to get all worked up about it.
I don't worry about things I have no control over and the last time I checked OU does not ask me my opinion on such matters so I will leave it up to them to handle it how they see fit. There are a lot more important issues in the World today and how a football player acts is miniscule compared to real issues.

Horseshit.
Maybe Riley should just kick him off the team. At this point I am moving on. Will take a lot more than what he has done for me to get all worked up about it.
I don't worry about things I have no control over and the last time I checked OU does not ask me my opinion on such matters so I will leave it up to them to handle it how they see fit. There are a lot more important issues in the World today and how a football player acts is miniscule compared to real issues.
You already are worked up over it.....and no one wants Mayfield kicked off the team.

InstructiveOddballHoneycreeper-max-1mb.gif

[QUOTE="OUSOONER67, post: 1973307, member: 15285"]Yeah and I know people that are older than myself that act like they are 10. I think its more personality than immaturity. I have seen grown men and women act like kids on Black Friday..

HEY...:cool:

Ha ha nooooooooo! Just people I know or have known outside of the scoop. There are a lot of big babies out in the real world that are much older than 22.

LikeShow more reactions[/QUOTE]

Nah...I didn't watch the game. Why would I? I can learn everything I need to know from espin and Facebook, where their responses are all over the scale...From booting him off of the team, to making his Heisman Statue reflect yesterday's gesture...

Liar, liar, pants on fire. “I didn’t watch the game.” Am I wrong? Come on, Sweetheart!

My one question to anyone with kids is do you really want them idolizing anyone? It seems to me putting anyone on a pedestal is setting both parties up for failure. I get the image PR spin the university must go through to simulate discipline within the ranks of the program. The reality though, and granted I am not a parent, is that people worship is a losing proposition. People will always let you down at some point. Baker is as Type A as probably many of us who have been in many fights over our lives. Accept it, discipline it when out of hand, don't emulate that aspect of his character little Johnny, no one is perfect and blah blah blah. Just curious if you guys and gals disagree?

My one question to anyone with kids is do you really want them idolizing anyone? It seems to me putting anyone on a pedestal is setting both parties up for failure. I get the image PR spin the university must go through to simulate discipline within the ranks of the program. The reality though, and granted I am not a parent, is that people worship is a losing proposition. People will always let you down at some point. Baker is as Type A as probably many of us who have been in many fights over our lives. Accept it, discipline it when out of hand, don't emulate that aspect of his character little Johnny, no one is perfect and blah blah blah. Just curious if you guys and gals disagree?

I’m not certain what your message is. I would not want my child to idolize anyone. Yet your reference of the type A appears to be a cop out for bad behavior. Maybe I am misunderstanding so let me make it clear, there is no excuse for bad behavior no matter how Lincoln Riley wants to the spin it. Baker Mayfield was wrong and should pay a bigger penalty than not starting.

Reactions: iasooner1

My take on it is he is who he is. People make mistakes, he has made a few more than some I guess but in life mistakes are made all thru ones life not just when you are young and immature. Nobody should be putting any human on a pedestal, nobody is perfect and without faults, NOBODY!
Some people I guess are worried how it makes OU look and that it hurts OU's image. I can understand that but if what Baker did hurts OU's image anymore than it was damaged after the Mixon incident I would be shocked, if anyone that hated OU after that makes them hate OU more because of what Baker has done then so be it. People can make up their own minds and from what I have seen from the media so far they are just using it as an excuse to smear Bakers name. And a lot people that are jumping on this are fans of schools like Penn State, Louisville and Stanford because they want their candidate to win the Heisman.
Meh, I couldn't care less who wins it, will not affect my life one way or the other and as far as Bakers antics, same thing.

I’m not certain what your message is. I would not want my child to idolize anyone. Yet your reference of the type A appears to be a cop out for bad behavior. Maybe I am misunderstanding so let me make it clear, there is no excuse for bad behavior no matter how Lincoln Riley wants to the spin it. Baker Mayfield was wrong and should pay a bigger penalty than not starting.
I never said it was good behavior. Neither was the drunk driving. I'm saying at what point do you say "regardless of what Baker does son, take the good and ignore the bs". At the end of the day you hear f bombs and see obscene bs all the time in football. Listen closely to sermon's td @ Ohio State. I saw and heard not one criticism of Sermon's "behaving badly" but outside of the crotch grab was just as vulgar. So, to me, I guess at some point I recognize football is violent, full of Type A violent people, who sometimes take it too far.

I never said it was good behavior. Neither was the drunk driving. I'm saying at what point do you say "regardless of what Baker does son, take the good and ignore the bs". At the end of the day you hear f bombs and see obscene bs all the time in football. Listen closely to sermon's td @ Ohio State. I saw and heard not one criticism of Sermon's "behaving badly" but outside of the crotch grab was just as vulgar. So, to me, I guess at some point I recognize football is violent, full of Type A violent people, who sometimes take it too far.

You are right. I misinterpreted your post.

Reactions: iasooner1
My take on it is he is who he is. People make mistakes, he has made a few more than some I guess but in life mistakes are made all thru ones life not just when you are young and immature. Nobody should be putting any human on a pedestal, nobody is perfect and without faults, NOBODY!
Some people I guess are worried how it makes OU look and that it hurts OU's image. I can understand that but if what Baker did hurts OU's image anymore than it was damaged after the Mixon incident I would be shocked, if anyone that hated OU after that makes them hate OU more because of what Baker has done then so be it. People can make up their own minds and from what I have seen from the media so far they are just using it as an excuse to smear Bakers name. And a lot people that are jumping on this are fans of schools like Penn State, Louisville and Stanford because they want their candidate to win the Heisman.
Meh, I couldn't care less who wins it, will not affect my life one way or the other and as far as Bakers antics, same thing.
I agree. I doubt Baker actually cares about the Heisman. I'm surprised it means much to anyone these days. In truth it is a popularity contest with some recognition going to a really good player on a really good team. If it were truly anointing the best player, guys like Suh would win.

Carlson's remarks are valid and Mayfield's repeated apologies are getting old.
Great player.
Perhaps the greatest offensive (no pun intended) player in OU history.
A talent that comes along once in a generation.
But his side shows reflect immaturity and cannot be equated with "passion" or being the "emotional leader" of the team.

Were you offended by Baker grabbing his balls?

Were you offended by Baker grabbing his balls?
It was poor sportsmanship and a childish and stupid thing to do.
I thought this happened only in the NFL...and it's why I don't watch pro football. It's too much like a prison yard riot at times and other times has all the properties of WWF wrestling (which is a bogus sport and always has been).

I agree. I doubt Baker actually cares about the Heisman. I'm surprised it means much to anyone these days. In truth it is a popularity contest with some recognition going to a really good player on a really good team. If it were truly anointing the best player, guys like Suh would win.
If Suh wasn't on an NFL roster he would be in prison.

I doubt many of us were offended and many of us were. Political correctness and acting like an animal are both extreme. I never forget how out of place I felt the day I walked onto OU's campus having been in the USMC just two months prior. Basically, I felt like a savage compared to the touchy feely crowd. I admit though that I was on the extreme side of things myself. I remember Stoops dropping F bombs on the sidelines too. Never really bothered me but that was my environment throughout my life. As a result, Baker did nothing I have not seen or heard or done myself numerous times. Do I condone it? No. Do I care really as it relates to anything else in my life, not at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT