ADVERTISEMENT

Here Me Out...

bcsoonerfan

Sooner starter
Aug 7, 2007
I'm as excited as anybody for this upcoming season but I don't think it's sunshine pumping to think an unbeaten regular season is in the making.

The schedule is very favorable. UTEP and Kent State are Ws. Nebraska will pose a threat but big improvement is unlikely and they will struggle to score. We won't light them up but 17-21 points and it's a W.

Kansas State will determine what we're capable of but getting them in Norman will be the difference. If we make it ugly the snowball is rolling downhill.

Texas ain't ready for the fire that's coming. Ewers is an unproven commodity and shutting down Bijan will ensure victory. I expect the Sooners to come out with purpose unlike anything we've seen in a long time.

At TCU is a scary game but they're still missing a lot. Win here on the road and the picture starts to come together.

Kansas at home. Okay...

Iowa State comes crashing back down to Earth.

Baylor is reloading big time and Norman will be waiting.

At WVU. A scrappy team but they are a mess.

Pokes return to Norman won't be a welcome one. Their losses on defense are to much to overcome and Rollercoaster Sanders is not winning this one by himself.

At Tech. Another WVU. The boys will have their eyes on the prize with no letdowns in sight.

There are going to be some games where we're squirming a bit. I could definitely see us struggling offensively against Nebraska early or failing to contain Deuce Vaughan or Quentin Johnson. But collectively the Sooners are the superior team in every game. And I don't see this team, with this leadership, coming out flat or playing down to the competition. And by mid-season the guys will be settled into the playbook, the offensive line will have gelled into a solid core and everybody's roles will be understood.

Seriously tho, Sarkisian needs to start figuring out his next move because it's going to be a seasonal ass beating. Soft culture versus Macho Man Brent Savage. Please.

I will be going to Nebraska for the game. Two words: Casey Thompson. It is apparent that he cannot handle pressure at QB. BV will game plan and victory over the Cornhuskers. K State got Martinez from Nebraska. He is not a factor but Vaughn is. KSU and Texas will be our toughest games. I don't see OSU filling their lost productivity this season. Same for Baylor. I HOPE that we see OU gaining confidence and experience like the 2000 team. the 2000 team was a product of superior coaching in the moment. The team believed in themselves. We will see that this year for the first time in many years. I can see OU going undefeated with a few scares along the way.

Is Sark a motivator? We shall see. He succeeded under Saban because Saban is an iron fist task master and I think Sark was on a short leash coming out of a bottle at USC.

This year's OU team is what I consider a team in transition, so it's a bit of a mystery to me at this time how the 2022 season plays out.
I've seen several OU teams in my lifetime come out of nowhere to have good to great seasons:
The 1962 OU rebounded from a 3-6-1 record in 1960 and a 5-5 record in 1961 to go 8-3 and gain an Orange Bowl bid.
The 1967 team rebounded from a 3-7 record in 1965 and a 6-4 season in 1966 to go 10-1 and a 3rd place ranking after upsetting Tennessee in the Orange Bowl.
The 2000 team rebounded from a decade of futility to win a national championship.
The 2022 team had Riley quit to go to USC while he poached OU's roster and recruiting efforts after an 11-2 record that revealed some poor coaching along the way. A freshman quarterback almost singlehandedly kept OU from losing 4-5 games as the team looked unfocused, unprepared and perhaps diminished by a sense of entitlement.
The 2022 team has had to recover from so much, but the Venables' hiring looks to be the perfect cure, though his "medicine" may take time to fully kick in.

I will be going to Nebraska for the game. Two words: Casey Thompson. It is apparent that he cannot handle pressure at QB. BV will game plan and victory over the Cornhuskers. K State got Martinez from Nebraska. He is not a factor but Vaughn is. KSU and Texas will be our toughest games. I don't see OSU filling their lost productivity this season. Same for Baylor. I HOPE that we see OU gaining confidence and experience like the 2000 team. the 2000 team was a product of superior coaching in the moment. The team believed in themselves. We will see that this year for the first time in many years. I can see OU going undefeated with a few scares along the way.

Is Sark a motivator? We shall see. He succeeded under Saban because Saban is an iron fist task master and I think Sark was on a short leash coming out of a bottle at USC.
Will you making any Norman games?

Reactions: iasooner2000
This year's OU team is what I consider a team in transition, so it's a bit of a mystery to me at this time how the 2022 season plays out.
I've seen several OU teams in my lifetime come out of nowhere to have good to great seasons:
The 1962 OU rebounded from a 3-6-1 record in 1960 and a 5-5 record in 1961 to go 8-3 and gain an Orange Bowl bid.
The 1967 team rebounded from a 3-7 record in 1965 and a 6-4 season in 1966 to go 10-1 and a 3rd place ranking after upsetting Tennessee in the Orange Bowl.
The 2000 team rebounded from a decade of futility to win a national championship.
The 2022 team had Riley quit to go to USC while he poached OU's roster and recruiting efforts after an 11-2 record that revealed some poor coaching along the way. A freshman quarterback almost singlehandedly kept OU from losing 4-5 games as the team looked unfocused, unprepared and perhaps diminished by a sense of entitlement.
The 2022 team has had to recover from so much, but the Venables' hiring looks to be the perfect cure, though his "medicine" may take time to fully kick in.
I truly wish we had a few of our Dlineman that left early, back for this year. That's the only small concern I have. I think Venables will do well with what we have but to me it's not a strength on the team. I expect the Dline next year to be much different and starting to get dominant. I think the offense will be good and more productive than last year. Secondary and linebackers have a chance to start being really good imo. I'll probably get crucified for saying this, as much as I like Mims, he's really good but I've never seen him as a No. 1 receiver. When defenses key on him he seems to totally disappear for huge parts of games. Hopefully with Farooq and Gibson and maybe Wease, it'll open it up more for Mims.

I'm as excited as anybody for this upcoming season but I don't think it's sunshine pumping to think an unbeaten regular season is in the making.

The schedule is very favorable. UTEP and Kent State are Ws. Nebraska will pose a threat but big improvement is unlikely and they will struggle to score. We won't light them up but 17-21 points and it's a W.

Kansas State will determine what we're capable of but getting them in Norman will be the difference. If we make it ugly the snowball is rolling downhill.

Texas ain't ready for the fire that's coming. Ewers is an unproven commodity and shutting down Bijan will ensure victory. I expect the Sooners to come out with purpose unlike anything we've seen in a long time.

At TCU is a scary game but they're still missing a lot. Win here on the road and the picture starts to come together.

Kansas at home. Okay...

Iowa State comes crashing back down to Earth.

Baylor is reloading big time and Norman will be waiting.

At WVU. A scrappy team but they are a mess.

Pokes return to Norman won't be a welcome one. Their losses on defense are to much to overcome and Rollercoaster Sanders is not winning this one by himself.

At Tech. Another WVU. The boys will have their eyes on the prize with no letdowns in sight.

There are going to be some games where we're squirming a bit. I could definitely see us struggling offensively against Nebraska early or failing to contain Deuce Vaughan or Quentin Johnson. But collectively the Sooners are the superior team in every game. And I don't see this team, with this leadership, coming out flat or playing down to the competition. And by mid-season the guys will be settled into the playbook, the offensive line will have gelled into a solid core and everybody's roles will be understood.

Seriously tho, Sarkisian needs to start figuring out his next move because it's going to be a seasonal ass beating. Soft culture versus Macho Man Brent Savage. Please.
What I'm most looking forward to and it may start to materialize this year, next year for sure, is when we score on offense it doesn't mean we turn around and let the opposing offense score. Those weekly 48-45 games are ridiculous and need to stop and will under Venables.

I only want to see two things.

1. The offense keeps going strong and recruits take notice.
2. The defense improves a lot and recruits, especially the front 7, want to play for Venables
1...Gabriel is very good, but can he perform miracles like Williams did a year ago? That said, the offense should be good as long as the offensive line can jell because the skill positions look solid.
2....OU loses its four best defenders, and the newcomers/replacements will have to prove their worth quickly. The first two games will help, but I won't be sure of the defense until September 17th on the road vs. Nebraska.

1...Gabriel is very good, but can he perform miracles like Williams did a year ago? That said, the offense should be good as long as the offensive line can jell because the skill positions look solid.
2....OU loses its four best defenders, and the newcomers/replacements will have to prove their worth quickly. The first two games will help, but I won't be sure of the defense until September 17th on the road vs. Nebraska.
I think the offense will be really good because Lebby gets it, tempo and if that’s not working, go faster. I truly think that’s one of Riley’s downfalls, he started believing the press clippings and got totally away from what made his offense click, tempo.

Reactions: iasooner2000
I think the offense will be really good because Lebby gets it, tempo and if that’s not working, go faster. I truly think that’s one of Riley’s downfalls, he started believing the press clippings and got totally away from what made his offense click, tempo.
Good point.
The hurry up offense seems like a good idea with a quarterback like Gabriel and it can wear down defenses late in games.
I would like to see an offense that can extend the time of possession as well and a good running game makes that happen.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Good point.
The hurry up offense seems like a good idea with a quarterback like Gabriel and it can wear down defenses late in games.
I would like to see an offense that can extend the time of possession as well and a good running game makes that happen.
Agree but imo tempo and short passing to start with gets your qb in rythym early in the game. Even last year under Riley the few times we actually went tempo we’d move the ball only for him to slow it down again in the same drive. Everything seemed discombobulated last year

I have watched the games that "made" Caleb Williams many times. His miracle pass completions can be attributed to the receivers as much as his arm. He played some games that did not impress. I think the jury is still out on Williams. His savior might be the weak conference and schedule that USC has this year. Utah and Notre Dame and the only real threats. UCLA could be a good game and Oregon will be a game if they meet the conference championship.

Look, here's the deal. Riley was a gimmick, he couldn't coach a complete team much less manage one. He rode Bob's wave until he saw the writing on the wall that he just wasn't capable with competing in the sec. usc is a step down in competition in that conference. His apple didn't fall far from the "pirate" tree. Riley ran to the west coast because he's afraid of competition. Brent on the other hand has been there and done that. We're in good hands. I'm juiced. 👍

I'm excited about the upcoming season. So many variables.
New Coaches
New Culture
New Offense
New Defense
Wowza. How fun is this going to be for the Sooner faithful. I'll be attending two roads games, Nebraska and TCU... and hope to catch the K-State game at home. I'll make the B12 Champ game (yes they'll play in it) but will most definitely attend the Bowl game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Belldozer1
I have watched the games that "made" Caleb Williams many times. His miracle pass completions can be attributed to the receivers as much as his arm. He played some games that did not impress. I think the jury is still out on Williams. His savior might be the weak conference and schedule that USC has this year. Utah and Notre Dame and the only real threats. UCLA could be a good game and Oregon will be a game if they meet the conference championship.
I've often wondered how different that game and OU's season etc. would have played out if the Texas safety would have actually tackled Williams on the famous 4th and 1 play that Williams scored a long td run on. The Texas safety was right there at his legs behind the line of scrimmage and simply missed the tackle.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
I'm excited about the upcoming season. So many variables.
New Coaches
New Culture
New Offense
New Defense
Wowza. How fun is this going to be for the Sooner faithful. I'll be attending two roads games, Nebraska and TCU... and hope to catch the K-State game at home. I'll make the B12 Champ game (yes they'll play in it) but will most definitely attend the Bowl game.
Enjoy this...

We lost Winfrey, Thomas, Bonnito, and Redmond is often injured. I like the Tulane transfer but is he as good as Winfrey? I am sure we can develop our guys but that is attrition that will not be easily replaced.

We lost Winfrey, Thomas, Bonnito, and Redmond is often injured. I like the Tulane transfer but is he as good as Winfrey? I am sure we can develop our guys but that is attrition that will not be easily replaced.
The players we lost are all great players, but last year they did not play “great” due to obvious reasons of which we are now aware. At the college level, all have talent but motivation & preparation make the biggest difference. I do not think either will be an issue with Brent V. at the helm.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
The players we lost are all great players, but last year they did not play “great” due to obvious reasons of which we are now aware. At the college level, all have talent but motivation & preparation make the biggest difference. I do not think either will be an issue with Brent V. at the helm.
I'm just a little more skeptical for year one being a banner year for us knowing what we lost. We were never great but now we are much younger and unproven at some key positions. BV said something to the effect of you can't hide weakness up front.

Medic made some pretty poignant posts in the past about this very topic. I think his words still hold true. Caleb is a phenomenal athlete. There's no doubt about that.

1. Maybe its the southpaw in them both, but Gabriel looks as good as Heupel, on a team which won with a young but overachieving D.
2. Opposite DE Reggie Grimes we've got Stripling who looks poised to make a big move this season, and inside we have enough large bodies to at least clog things up and enough depth to rotate 5 at DT: Jordan Kelley at 6'4" 292 lbs, Isaiah Coe at 6'2" 304 lbs, Cory Robison at 6'3" 291 lbs, 2020 Rivals #7 DT Kelvin Gilliam at 6'3" 293 lbs, and 5th year Tulane transfer Jeffrey Johnson at 6'2" 313 lbs.

Put me down for a half-full pour of the kool-aid.

1. Maybe its the southpaw in them both, but Gabriel looks as good as Heupel, on a team which won with a young but overachieving D.
2. Opposite DE Reggie Grimes we've got Stripling who looks poised to make a big move this season, and inside we have enough large bodies to at least clog things up and enough depth to rotate 5 at DT: Jordan Kelley at 6'4" 292 lbs, Isaiah Coe at 6'2" 304 lbs, Cory Robison at 6'3" 291 lbs, 2020 Rivals #7 DT Kelvin Gilliam at 6'3" 293 lbs, and 5th year Tulane transfer Jeffrey Johnson at 6'2" 313 lbs.

Put me down for a half-full pour of the kool-aid.

I promised myself that I would NOT Get 'Overly Optimistic', this year, but danged if your post didn't swing me over, Phaeded...Start Pouring!!! :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT