ADVERTISEMENT

Gundy

I'm completely stunned. Cale Gundy resigns over something that they aren't telling us exactly what happened, but apparently, he was reading off the tablet that a player had been typing that had nothing to do with football in a meeting. An objectional epithet was part of what he read, and he now resigns because of it.

Completely stunned.

• Wow
Reactions: iasooner2000
I'm completely stunned. Cale Gundy resigns over something that they aren't telling us exactly what happened, but apparently, he was reading off the tablet that a player had been typing that had nothing to do with football in a meeting. An objectional epithet was part of what he read, and he now resigns because of it.

Completely stunned.
Ya that sounds WAY too extreme. However, it is a major university thats scared to death of being called racist.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
epEiTgg.png

• Sad
Good gracious. The sensitivity of people today is way out of wack. If he read it aloud off someones I-pad who gives a crap. Should I be offended everytime I read a book that has words in it I dont like or agree with? Hell are we going to start taking books off the shelves that have terms that are offensive to certain people?

Something tells me this is all a B.S reason. There is either more to the story or someone has it out for Gundy.

Good gracious. The sensitivity of people today is way out of wack. If he read it aloud off someones I-pad who gives a crap. Should I be offended everytime I read a book that has words in it I dont like or agree with? Hell are we going to start taking books off the shelves that have terms that are offensive to certain people?

Something tells me this is all a B.S reason. There is either more to the story or someone has it out for Gundy.
This story, if related exactly how it happened, is a scary scenario. An elite assistant coach retires over reading aloud something someone wrote?
What was once considered “politically correct” has become a neurotic out-of-control obsession.

This is what happens when people who scream as advocates for tolerance, get their way. Joe Mixon's thoughtful support of Gundy should be considered here.

I suspect OU is going to lose at least some financial support over the way this was handled. This is obviously a forced resignation, no matter how Cale's resignation letter was worded.

Whoever called this shot, ought to lose their job.

This is what happens when people who scream as advocates for tolerance, get their way. Joe Mixon's thoughtful support of Gundy should be considered here.

I suspect OU is going to lose at least some financial support over the way this was handled. This is obviously a forced resignation, no matter how Cale's resignation letter was worded.

You better be careful what you ask for.

Too late at night to talk about Gundy? Sounds like bs to me

Or too early this morning to chew it up and spit it out. Looks as if it's gonna be Monday alllllll day, today...

Rumor mill says it was The 'N' Word...If the decision was made by Cale, himself, and unprompted, then it would seem to be a case of carrying conscientiousness to the extreme...He has always appeared to be squeaky clean, and represented OU in the best possible way...IMO, it's a Sooner Loss...

Where is Paul Harvey when we need him, with 'The Rest of the Story'???

This is a shame if true. Now you have to worry about what other people say also?! So done with cancel culture. Knee jerk reactions and punishments that don’t fit the crime are out of hand. This should not be an issue at all if it is what Gundy reported. Makes our university look puny and weak. Context is what is important. If context is not considered, we could all hang for things we did not manifest or deserve. What a terrible way to screw up an amazing career of one of our own. We are all losers in this…

SoonerSports.com has deleted Gundy from the OU coaches page. Based on Venables’ reply concerning Cale’s announcement it certainly suggests than his agrees with the decision. I think he must. One unintended word shouldn’t cause anyone to feel the way Cale says he feels. Just doesn’t seem to add up. Terrible for Cale and Sooner Nation. I’m sure there will be more to come out about this.

The kid who wrote it should be shown theexit door as well

If all is as it’s being reported, the kid needs a consequence as well. A scholarship player at OU is receiving $40,000 - $50,000 a year from boosters as is plus whatever else they can get on top of that. To receive that money you have to meet certain criteria and I’m sure your behavior is a big requirement. You have a coach getting canned for saying out loud what a kid is sitting in a football team meeting, writing. Sounds like at the very least the kid doesn’t take his opportunity seriously and by what he wrote, a detriment to team chemistry.

it’s a double standard in this country, no doubt. Having said that if I was in Cale’s shoes I probably wouldn’t have said that word out loud even though every piece of crap rapper says it everyday and I’d bet that music they blare in practice contains it in a lyric or 2:

the player needs to be dealt with too. Actually if I was the player I’d consider transferring out because judging from the responses I’m seeing on social media his life is fixing to be different. He should just go

90% of the players in his position room are black. If true, it shows the utter hypocrisy of what happened. Because it's okay for a black kid to say it or write it, but if a white guy reads it out loud, then the university views it as grounds for total removal from the university.

I don't think Gundy wrote his resignation letter or BV wrote his reaction. This was written by the PR people in the AD's office, and maybe even the university. They had input into it, and signed it. But the composition has all the earmarks for stuff we've read before, in tough situations.

I suspect, because OU is a public institution, that we'll eventually find out that Gundy was told to resign, and got some future compensation for it. Otherwise, he'd be fired for cause, and lose whatever was owed him on his contract. You won't hear it tomorrow, but down the road, it will become public how much severance he received.

90% of the players in his position room are black. If true, it shows the utter hypocrisy of what happened. Because it's okay for a black kid to say it or write it, but if a white guy reads it out loud, then the university views it as grounds for total removal from the university.

I don't think Gundy wrote his resignation letter or BV wrote his reaction. This was written by the PR people in the AD's office, and maybe even the university. They had input into it, and signed it. But the composition has all the earmarks for stuff we've read before, in tough situations.

I suspect, because OU is a public institution, that we'll eventually find out that Gundy was told to resign, and got some future compensation for it. Otherwise, he'd be fired for cause, and lose whatever was owed him on his contract. You won't hear it tomorrow, but down the road, it will become public how much severance he received.
Go visit practice, any day of the week, and I bet you hear that word 100's of times by the players. Heck, I hear it all the time at the high school level. I bet the president and AD peed their pants when they got wind of it. Weaklings

We live in a world gone nuts.
5-6 years ago, tennis commentator Doug Adler, described Serena Williams' charging the net tactics as "gorilla" tactics (a common tennis term), and was then accused by a writer with the NY Times that he called her a gorilla. ESPN immediately fired him and Adler's career as a broadcaster was ended.
The word "racist" is used too recklessly and too often these days.
Adler's situation is an example of this.
What has happened with Gundy is, for me, a situation that needs a lot more clarification. Gundy's a good man, but the stain of being called a racist, no matter how applied, is not easily, if ever, removed.
I hope this story has a good ending for Gundy and OU.

I sent a message of enquiry last night and just got a very brief verbal response this morning saying there is a major attempt to keep a lid on this matter. The school expects much more (truth and falsehood) to come out once it cools off a bit. Unconfirmed report is that a kid was reading raps lyrics on an I-Pad when he should have been participating in the meeting (receivers). Gundy caught him and blew up. This where we can expect some controversy. The version I got is that Gundy stopped the meeting, called out the kid and read aloud what he was doing rather than participating in the meeting/game film. Gundy was less than pleased and his words were harsh but nothing directed at the offender. He read out the N word without much pause or push back from others at the time. Gundy self reported the incident but it was believed that the ordeal had already made its way to a "compliance officer". Immediate resignation was the result. Who's decision? Gundy's decision is for public consumption. I am told there will be players only meetings today. There is a hope of Gundy reconsidering if school officials agree. That's the big if. Again, this was provide to me "off the record" and unconfirmed.

We live in a world gone nuts.
5-6 years ago, tennis commentator Doug Adler, described Serena Williams' charging the net tactics as "gorilla" tactics (a common tennis term), and was then accused by a writer with the NY Times that he called her a gorilla. ESPN immediately fired him and Adler's career as a broadcaster was ended.
The word "racist" is used too recklessly and too often these days.
Adler's situation is an example of this.
What has happened with Gundy is, for me, a situation that needs a lot more clarification. Gundy's a good man, but the stain of being called a racist, no matter how applied, is not easily, if ever, removed.
I hope this story has a good ending for Gundy and OU.
Adler maintained that he used the word "guerrilla" tactics which is a completely different word with "guerre" as its root. Guerre is french for war. Guerrilla is often used in tennis terminology is French tennis commentary. Adler eventually won that war (guerre) of words and had wide support.

I sent a message of enquiry last night and just got a very brief verbal response this morning saying there is a major attempt to keep a lid on this matter. The school expects much more (truth and falsehood) to come out once it cools off a bit. Unconfirmed report is that a kid was reading raps lyrics on an I-Pad when he should have been participating in the meeting (receivers). Gundy caught him and blew up. This where we can expect some controversy. The version I got is that Gundy stopped the meeting, called out the kid and read aloud what he was doing rather than participating in the meeting/game film. Gundy was less than pleased and his words were harsh but nothing directed at the offender. He read out the N word without much pause or push back from others at the time. Gundy self reported the incident but it was believed that the ordeal had already made its way to a "compliance officer". Immediate resignation was the result. Who's decision? Gundy's decision is for public consumption. I am told there will be players only meetings today. There is a hope of Gundy reconsidering if school officials agree. That's the big if. Again, this was provide to me "off the record" and unconfirmed.
Here's the deal that gets me. It's not like Gundy came in the meeting room and said" listen up", and then referred to someone as the "N" word. That's not at all what happened and under that scenario I can understand someone running to the "principal's" office but in reality, it looks like some woke player got upset and embarrassed that he was called out for dicking around and either he or another woke player decided to try to make an issue out of it.Gundy was probably reading the lyrics of the song and chastising the player for liking the words and read them out loud, hell as a dad I'd probably do the same thing in a derogatory way wondering how those lyrics are ok or cool. I'd like to know the whole context

Last edited:
Here's the deal that gets me. It's not like Gundy came in the meeting room and said" listen up", and then referred to someone as the "N" word. That's not at all what happened and under that scenario I can understand someone running to the "principal's" office but in reality, it looks like some woke player got upset and embarrassed that he was called out for dicking around and either he or another woke player decided to try to make an issue out of it.
Possibly so, but we must remember that these kids are drilled by "third party" school officials to report any "perceived" violations of behavioral or racist type issues regardless of the severity. It is part of their orientation and gets renewed in groups and there are one-on-ones if needed. Social welfare and mental health is part of organized scholarship sports. It is the reality of today.

Here is what Joe Mixon wrote:

Coach Gundy is everything OU and any institution would want in a coach, teacher and mentor. He is caring, thoughtful, intelligent, smart, funny, experienced, philanthropic, humble and selfless. If not for Coach Gundy, I would not have attended OU, survived OU, stayed at OU and succeeded in life after OU. I owe my education and professional career to him and most importantly I owe who I am as a person to him.

Most importantly, Coach Gundy is not, and I repeat is not a racist in any way nor has a racist bone in his body, mind or soul. I grew up in the Bay Area and went to school obviously in Oklahoma. I know racists, I have witnessed both obvious and discreet forms of racism and have known and detested even more actual racist. Coach Gundy is the farthest thing from this type of person. I spent every day for the 1,000 days I was in Norman with him, and I never saw anything that would lead anyone to believe this or think this.

During my years at OU, there was one constant and that was Coach Gundy. He was always there for me and all of my teammates, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, summer, winter, spring and fall. No favor was too big, no ask too small, no advice too meaningless. Within the rules of the NCAA, whatever he could do for all players and myself, he did. He is a father figure, a mentor, coach and best friend to me. He always had my best interest at heart and spent every moment enriching my life, educating me, mentoring me and making sure I was the best version of myself. I owe a lot to a lot of people for my success but no one more so than Coach Gundy. Without him, I am not the person I am today, the player I am in the NFL or the teammate I am.

I know this about Coach, if he was admonishing a student-athlete for any reason, it was because he was trying to help that athlete be a better person, teammate and student-athlete of OU. I know for a fact, that if he used any derogatory or inappropriate words, it was because they were written and not his own thoughts. I have never seen him say, think or utter and racist words, slang or sayings. And please keep in mind that he is in meeting rooms and locker rooms where such words are thrown around by the players and in the music we listen to as often and easily as football fly in the air at practices.

In conclusion, I offer my highest support and admiration for Coach Gundy and will be extremely disappointed with the school, program and the administrators if he is not allowed to continue as a coach at the university going forward. If he in anyone’s eyes did anything wrong, then let us show people how we give people second chances, how we help all people be better people and that we teach all to work together, grow and evolve as people. I for one having gone through my own tribulations while at OU know that I am where I am because I was given a second chance at school, life and to be a better person. And I owe a lot of that to Coach Gundy as a person, teacher and coach.

Thank you very much for reading this letter.

Sincerely,

Joe Mixon

OU Student-Athlete

Cincinnati Bengals, NFL.

Coach Gundy is everything OU and any institution would want in a coach, teacher and mentor. He is caring, thoughtful, intelligent, smart, funny, experienced, philanthropic, humble and selfless. If not for Coach Gundy, I would not have attended OU, survived OU, stayed at OU and succeeded in life after OU. I owe my education and professional career to him and most importantly I owe who I am as a person to him.

Most importantly, Coach Gundy is not, and I repeat is not a racist in any way nor has a racist bone in his body, mind or soul. I grew up in the Bay Area and went to school obviously in Oklahoma. I know racists, I have witnessed both obvious and discreet forms of racism and have known and detested even more actual racist. Coach Gundy is the farthest thing from this type of person. I spent every day for the 1,000 days I was in Norman with him, and I never saw anything that would lead anyone to believe this or think this.

During my years at OU, there was one constant and that was Coach Gundy. He was always there for me and all of my teammates, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, summer, winter, spring and fall. No favor was too big, no ask too small, no advice too meaningless. Within the rules of the NCAA, whatever he could do for all players and myself, he did. He is a father figure, a mentor, coach and best friend to me. He always had my best interest at heart and spent every moment enriching my life, educating me, mentoring me and making sure I was the best version of myself. I owe a lot to a lot of people for my success but no one more so than Coach Gundy. Without him, I am not the person I am today, the player I am in the NFL or the teammate I am.

I know this about Coach, if he was admonishing a student-athlete for any reason, it was because he was trying to help that athlete be a better person, teammate and student-athlete of OU. I know for a fact, that if he used any derogatory or inappropriate words, it was because they were written and not his own thoughts. I have never seen him say, think or utter and racist words, slang or sayings. And please keep in mind that he is in meeting rooms and locker rooms where such words are thrown around by the players and in the music we listen to as often and easily as football fly in the air at practices.

In conclusion, I offer my highest support and admiration for Coach Gundy and will be extremely disappointed with the school, program and the administrators if he is not allowed to continue as a coach at the university going forward. If he in anyone’s eyes did anything wrong, then let us show people how we give people second chances, how we help all people be better people and that we teach all to work together, grow and evolve as people. I for one having gone through my own tribulations while at OU know that I am where I am because I was given a second chance at school, life and to be a better person. And I owe a lot of that to Coach Gundy as a person, teacher and coach.

Sincerely,

Joe Mixon

OU Student-Athlete

Cincinnati Bengals, NFL.

Need more former players to send messages to OU administrators. Current player’s support would even be better. I understand that there is already a petition out there to bring Cale back. It may not succeed but it may help him in another way.

Last edited:
There You Are, SS! Been watchin' for you to show up and ejicate us! My sources aren't much more 'in the know', early this morning, than Social Media Speculation, which is running even more rampant than usual...Staying Tuned...Thankee!!!

This is sad. It started with canceling Mark Twain's Huck Finn and Tom Sawyers for using the word in contextual manners. It's such a common culture term now but disallowed for a majority to speak. The original intention was thoughtful and well-placed, to prevent racial bigotry. Now, it's just a reason to cast shadows on a good person for repeating what is already written or spoken. Stupid.

Sincerely,

Joe Mixon

OU Student-Athlete

Cincinnati Bengals, NFL.
A lot of respect for Mixon. More big name players need to have the courage to speak up.

so Gundy was repeating a word that was written as was the player. Maybe this rapper should also be fired?
According to BV statement that would be a yes. Imagine a comedian now days what he has to fear. Who is he going to offend with whatever joke he tells? This is just an example with the comedian but we all have to be concerned with what we say in public or at work these days. America has become a "woke" country and the company I work for is the "wokest" of all. Heck, you can't even use the word "Foriegner" without being threatened your job where I work at.

I believe after reading BV latest statement that if Gundy had stopped at the one time this would have been a non issue. Its the multiple times he read it that was what got him in this situation. What point was he trying to make to the team by reading it multiple times would be my question.

No comment on what happened as not enough facts, but what are we really losing here? If Cale was that great of a coach he'd be a coordinator by now. Instead he was the WR/Passing Game Coordinator, the latter of which was all Riley, and the young ballyhooed WRs Wease, Haselwood, and even Mims weren't exactly being developed into All Americans. Grouse all you want about PC culture, but in terms of X and Os, I'm finding it really hard to bemoan this loss. Bring in a guy who actually ran routes for a living to develop these kids.

Reactions: newnasty
According to BV statement that would be a yes. Imagine a comedian now days what he has to fear. Who is he going to offend with whatever joke he tells? This is just an example with the comedian but we all have to be concerned with what we say in public or at work these days. America has become a "woke" country and the company I work for is the "wokest" of all. Heck, you can't even use the word "Foriegner" without being threatened your job where I work at.

I believe after reading BV latest statement that if Gundy had stopped at the one time this would have been a non issue. Its the multiple times he read it that was what got him in this situation. What point was he trying to make to the team by reading it multiple times would be my question.
I agree......if he kept saying it then that was a dumb move on his part. He knows the world we live in

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT