ADVERTISEMENT

Do you believe that we should never take an opponent for granted? I think our team did this today

bullmarket

Sooner signee
May 29, 2001
and probably many of us including me viewed Baylor as a cupcake. .

Baylor played this game like it was their Superbowl and they do have talent.

I think the OU football team and coaches will learn from this game and it will help us in the rest of the season. Don't take any team for granted.

The defense was soft yet again. Most of the game played with a 3 man front. Add to that corners playing more than 10 yards off the line, we let a weak team make this a close game. They played an agrsssive defense and we did not.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I don't think we overlook big 12 opponents, we just don't play defense in this Conference. Pretty much why nobody respects the big 12. A number 3 team in the nation should never allow 523 yds of offense to an 0-3 unranked team that has losses to the likes of Liberty and Duke and UTSA. Which begs the question? Are we really worthy of such a lofty ranking in the first place? Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but I had hopes this team may have turned the corner this year up until tonight and I got slapped back into reality with Mike Stoops defense, just getting tired of it really.

I was disappointed in more than just the play, tonight...The future is NOT Promising, and The 'D' is going to cost us some games and Baker needs to Zip His Lips and KEEP Them Zipped, and....

Train Wreck!

I agree Senior Sooner, Riley needs to address the trash talk and nip it! I know they say thats just Baker being Baker and all but that concerns me more if thats what he is all about. Let them play with fire and be all piss and vinegar but stop directing all that at the opponents and use it to fire up your teamates. And right now on espin they are showing Baker talking trash to Baylor players before the game and saying its been said he is "Mouthy." Not the best way to represent OU, do it with your arm Baker, you might just be mouthing your way out of a Heisman.

I am tired of trying to play nice, and not call out Mike...He is NOT the right man for this job...He is in over his head, and has now lost his Wing Man...No longer anyone for him to hide behind...
I can't agree more. Time and time again, we play soft on defense and depend on the offense to bail us out. We will never be an elite team as long as our defensive coordinator is afraid to play big boy defense.

I addressed Mike-the-pointless-spaz in another thread, but I do question our O plan tonight. It seems Riley was counting on Baker playing a half, then having Murray hand-off to Sermon...which ended up being Mayfield handing off to Sermon. The lack of creative play-calling, especially the diversity of WRs we usually involve, was mildly disturbing after half, even if just running the ball was the smart thing to do (but I did not enjoy conceding the series on 3rd and long by handing off to Sermon yet again).

I guess I'm looking for more of a killer instinct and less of a butt-pucker when things get tight from Riley. If a game gets tight go with the wrinkles we have worked on in practice.

And please tell me our frosh WR who had drops, a fumble and simply gave up on a deep route is benched. Un-freaking-acceptable.

I agree Senior Sooner, Riley needs to address the trash talk and nip it! I know they say thats just Baker being Baker and all but that concerns me more if thats what he is all about. Let them play with fire and be all piss and vinegar but stop directing all that at the opponents and use it to fire up your teamates. And right now on espin they are showing Baker talking trash to Baylor players before the game and saying its been said he is "Mouthy." Not the best way to represent OU, do it with your arm Baker, you might just be mouthing your way out of a Heisman.

Real Leaders don't talk Smack...IMO, they focus on their team, and ways to make them better. Just like Baker's ill chosen comment, blaming the collapse of the 2014 Season on Katy Perry...Baker gained nothing by stating that, and, in fact, many seem to believe that he hurt himself, considerably, by putting it out there...

I addressed Mike-the-pointless-spaz in another thread, but I do question our O plan tonight. It seems Riley was counting on Baker playing a half, then having Murray hand-off to Sermon...which ended up being Mayfield handing off to Sermon. The lack of creative play-calling, especially the diversity of WRs we usually involve, was mildly disturbing after half, even if just running the ball was the smart thing to do (but I did not enjoy conceding the series on 3rd and long by handing off to Sermon yet again).

I guess I'm looking for more of a killer instinct and less of a butt-pucker when things get tight from Riley. If a game gets tight go with the wrinkles we have worked on in practice.

And please tell me our frosh WR who had drops, a fumble and simply gave up on a deep route is benched. Un-freaking-acceptable.
I don't EVER remember seeing anything as bad as that...He just QUIT...

Baker had a "go for it all" attitude last night. Brown was most likely option C or D on that play. He's a baller but his character is not the best. Riley, only choice to rein Baker in, was to take him out and run the ball.

Mike Stoops! Not a great recruiter
Mike Stoops! Not a great X&O's coach. Hell his not even average.
Mike Stoops! Is not a great, halftime coach. ie Making adjustments. Once again, average at BEST.
Mike Stoops! He is a HORRIBLE leader, He can't be on the sidelines an infect the players.

I do not have the data but I know that there are at least, 50 players that have had the BEST GAME of their career. Playing against a Mike Stoops defense. Just last night 2 players, set a career best.

Last edited:
In this age of parity it's as unwise as it is classless and disrespectful to underrate an opponent.
It doesn't help having a hot dog quarterback....arguably the best one in OU's history....taunting teams before the game and getting in the face of a defender many times when he's tackled. Mayfield's act outside of his on-field exploits has gotten old. His pregame antics last night, telling the Baylor players he was their "daddy" and was going to spank them is BS and Riley should call him on the carpet for this crap.

Agree whole heartedly CT that Baker's hyper emotionalism needs to be toned down. He has no real reason to stir up crap. It obviously fired up Baylor more than inspiring the Sooners. No reason to cheese a 0-3 team no matter who you are. He is becoming Manziel like and we saw how that fool crash landed after college.

Baker had a "go for it all" attitude last night. Brown was most likely option C or D on that play. He's a baller but his character is not the best. Riley, only choice to rein Baker in, was to take him out and run the ball.

Mike Stoops! Not a great recruiter
Mike Stoops! Not a great X&O's coach. Hell his not even average.
Mike Stoops! Is not a great, halftime coach. ie Making adjustments. Once again, average at BEST.
Mike Stoops! He is a HORRIBLE leader, He can't be on the sidelines an infect the players.

I do not have the data but I know that there are at least, 50 players that have had the BEST GAME of their career. Playing against a Mike Stoops defense. Just last night 2 players, set a career best.

It would seem that since we took their running game away, that we had all the heat on the def backs. Motley earned his stripes. The others seemed to be in the 2016 flash back fog. It was Mike Stoops once again the puppet master of chaos.

Best to let the coordinators run the show and Mike to beg his brother and Joe for a nice soft spot to hide in for a week or so and study film of Bama and Clem covering teams with good passing attacks, if he can and see if he can gain some insight...

Not going to happen. The guy is bringing down $800k plus. It's going to take the HC to make any change. If I were Riley I'd go to Joe and Bob. Look at Bob and ask him to tell the story again why Steve Spurrier hired him at Florida. Lincoln is in the same spot Spurrier was in back in 1996-97. Great offense but still getting beat because he couldn't always out score teams with his sorry defense. But I'm afraid Bob might look at Lincoln and say "what's your point". :mad: Getting rid of Mike Stoops isn't going to be easy especially if OU wins another B12.

Reactions: iasooner1
Don't you know that the team all week practiced like they were playing a cupcake?
Did Baker think we were a lock to stomp them?....Answer Absolutely.
The coaches practiced like we were playing to team we would stomp.
The OU fans were sure this game would be a runaway. (Just look at the game predictions here including myself). .

Baylor has talent and with their new QB they became a very good team.
This Baylor teams was not like the Baylor team the OU coaches viewed in their first three games video They were much netter with their new QB

Also we did not put our foot on their throat like we did vs. Ohio State

THE COACHES DID NOT PREPARE THE OU PLAYERS FOR THIS GAME IN PRACTICES THIS WEEK, THE COACHES THOUGHT THAT THIS WOULD BE AN EASY GAME.

This is the answer to what happened last night

This life lesson for our team and coaches they won't forget it. again this season.

Don't take any team for granted.

Last edited:
Not going to happen. The guy is bringing down $800k plus. It's going to take the HC to make any change. If I were Riley I'd go to Joe and Bob. Look at Bob and ask him to tell the story again why Steve Spurrier hired him at Florida. Lincoln is in the same spot Spurrier was in back in 1996-97. Great offense but still getting beat because he couldn't always out score teams with his sorry defense. But I'm afraid Bob might look at Lincoln and say "what's your point". :mad: Getting rid of Mike Stoops isn't going to be easy especially if OU wins another B12.

I've been worried about this all season. Mike Stoops, should not have came back to Norman and damn sure, should have been fired, years ago. If we win another Conference title and beat a decent team in a bowl game. I really hope, it's not enough to keep Mike Stoops.

Riley will earn his stripes, if he can reign in the idiocy of trash talking...also if he can calm the storm...with Bob you always knew he would always keeps his head and his cool and keep the crazies from running the asylum....

the next 2 or 3 games will make or break OUs season....so he has time to right the ship during the bye week.

I've been worried about this all season. Mike Stoops, should not have came back to Norman and damn sure, should have been fired, years ago. If we win another Conference title and beat a decent team in a bowl game. I really hope, it's not enough to keep Mike Stoops.

That's a real concern, IMO.

Interesting article from 2011. The Sooners D allowed a lot of yards in losses to Tech, Baylor and Okie Lite that season when Venables was DC. It still continues to this day so what is the problem? Is it Coaching? Lack of talent on the defense? Are big 12 offenses just too difficult to defend? Which is it?

http://newsok.com/article/3635441

It's my hope that this team and its coaches got a wake up call yesterday and that Riley can reign in Mayfield acting like a punk.

Mayfield is starting to remind me of Johnny Manziel and I hated that guy. Play with fire and passion Baker but please stop the trash talking, its being talked about more than your performances on the field.

I think OUr team learned a valuable lesson last night. The Sooners thought the game was over before the game started and we were in a dog fight because of that. A win is a win no matter how ugly it was.

I think he faded the heat on spending a night in the Pokey, as well as the Planting of the Flag, but that Trash Talk is Classless, and not Who/What we want as 'The Face of the Sooners' IMO...

Every year they say teams that get to the NC game have to have a little luck along the way and at least one close game that had it gone the other way may have cost them a shot at being there. Hopefully this game was that game for OU. Hopefully they can address the problems and come out after this game with a lot more focus and a lesson learned that you have to bring it every game no matter who the opponent is. I guess we will see moving forward.

This ugly win will not be ugly at all if it makes the team more focused and with a more mature attitude going forward.
If Mayfield has hurt his Heisman chances, so be it. What matters more now is what he learned from the Baylor game about conduct and attitude.
God, I miss Steve Owens.

This ugly win will not be ugly at all if it makes the team more focused and with a more mature attitude going forward.
If Mayfield has hurt his Heisman chances, so be it. What matters more now is what he learned from the Baylor game about conduct and attitude.
God, I miss Steve Owens.
And Sam...And Landry...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT