ADVERTISEMENT

Another Jeff Lebby dud...

Patriotgame

Sooner commitment
Oct 22, 2002
I'm tired of trying to figure out the purpose in some of his play designs and who he uses in the lineup...

Gibson is 6'5 yet is rarely targeted...

Dillion is fine to run some but not in many of the situations he ran today...

where was our passing game across the WIDE OPEN MIDDLE!?!?!?!?!

If I never see another WR run play again, I’ll be happy.
According to the talking heads, OU was 5th in passes thrown behind the line of scrimmage leading into this game.

3rd and short and sweep play...

Farooq being used as a running back...

50 seconds, 3 timeouts, and momentum before half so run out the clock...

Undisciplined penalties, including on the effing bench.

This coaching staff isn't ready for the top tier of the SEC. Middle of the road at best.

According to the talking heads, OU was 5th in passes thrown behind the line of scrimmage leading into this game.

This coaching staff isn't ready for the top tier of the SEC. Middle of the road at best.

I remember running some of Lebby's offensive plays on the playground in grade school and middle school 45 years ago

All these points are spot on.

I don't know if it's all on him. The Oline are not the maulers of past and the RB outside of Walker do not have the moves or strength to run through tackles. Gabriel is not accurate beyond 50 feet and he doesn't trust the timing routes, more then half the plays. I keep using the word "hitch" with him. It's a small delay, just like the interception today. I'm with everyone on the WR runs, that's straight out of Bryles playbook. Baylor adopted that when they played a Bowl Game against N.C and Baylor didn't have a QB. If he does this with Arnold, then he needs to go. I know it's not popular but Gabriel is an average QB, with below average arm strenght and mechanics.

I agree........Lebby is inconsistent and BV, although improved, still seems to make dumb game management decisions.

We don't have an explosive player on offense. We all knew early on this team would possibly be improved over last year but def was not going to be a playoff team or even a Conf Champ. texass was fools gold, we were very lucky to beat them. We have struggled vs cupcakes this season and today showed us when we play a team with a pulse we can not afford mistakes. We made a lot of mistakes vs texass but again we got lucky and won.
I don't think this staff is upper tier at all, very avg and I said it from the get go but we are stuck with them for now and will see how it plays out.
I predicted a 10-3 season before the season started but now think it will be difficult to reach that.
I was just about to jump on the wagon as this season progressed but after UCF the writing on the wall appeared again, we just aint very good.

We don't have an explosive player on offense. We all knew early on this team would possibly be improved over last year but def was not going to be a playoff team or even a Conf Champ. texass was fools gold, we were very lucky to beat them. We have struggled vs cupcakes this season and today showed us when we play a team with a pulse we can not afford mistakes. We made a lot of mistakes vs texass but again we got lucky and won.
I don't think this staff is upper tier at all, very avg and I said it from the get go but we are stuck with them for now and will see how it plays out.
I predicted a 10-3 season before the season started but now think it will be difficult to reach that.
I was just about to jump on the wagon as this season progressed but after UCF the writing on the wall appeared again, we just aint very good.
Unfortunately your correct. OSU worries me as a fan, WV is a 60-40 type game where I believe OU is a tad better but…. BYU in Provo is likely a 50-50 game at this point and TCU is about like WV. So I see 2 games that OU should win and 2 that is a pure tossup. I shudder to think the heat BV gets if OU loses all 4 or even 3 of 4.

Right now as a lifelong OU fan I would be happy with a 10 win season this year. A chance at the B12 title ( if OU can get there ) would be a pretty magical 2nd season for BV and our fanbase after the season they had last year.

IDK, I think this is a good solid team, hopefully Top 10 with 2 losses, which is a tremendous rebound from last year. 3 losses is not out of the question but this team has learned to win the close ones. BYU is bad but Okielite and WVU, will be tough. I do not see us beating Texass twice, so we will need some help or the BigXII Championship, will not stay with the good guys. I really want OU to leave the conference as champions, we've earned that over the decades.

Oline, very good in protection but below average maulers
WR, we have solid group but an average QB, will not elevate any of them. Gundy is missed
RB, below average but the Oline doesn't help
QB, average, with a weak arm and mechanics
TE/HB, what the hell. The BEST OU offenses, had great HB/TE plays.

Dline, lots of depth but no great players.
LB's, very good
DB's are young but the best we've had in 10 years. Not having a strong cheetah, with Harrington, injuries really hurts.

IDK, I think this is a good solid team, hopefully Top 10 with 2 losses, which is a tremendous rebound from last year. 3 losses is not out of the question but this team has learned to win the close ones. BYU is bad but Okielite and WVU, will be tough. I do not see us beating Texass twice, so we will need some help or the BigXII Championship, will not stay with the good guys. I really want OU to leave the conference as champions, we've earned that over the decades.

Oline, very good in protection but below average maulers
WR, we have solid group but an average QB, will not elevate any of them. Gundy is missed
RB, below average but the Oline doesn't help
QB, average, with a weak arm and mechanics
TE/HB, what the hell. The BEST OU offenses, had great HB/TE plays.

Dline, lots of depth but no great players.
LB's, very good
DB's are young but the best we've had in 10 years. Not having a strong cheetah, with Harrington, injuries really hurts.

I think this is a team thats just a building block to the next step or phase. They are what they are and help is on the way hopefully to turn the corner but today was a winnable game, may not be a Kansas team of the past but its still Kansas. Not a Playoff team never was, said it a couple weeks back that its likely not a Conf Title game team either.
Just a building block team that hopefully can finish strong and keep building for the future. A 10 win season and a bowl win would be a heck of an improvement over last season and what many were at the most were hoping for myself included. Coaching Staff needs improvement as well. Lebby aint it I am afraid, he does need more talent on the Offensive side of the ball but I am not sure he would know how to utilize it.

I really thought Lebby was better than this. I'll give him a pass on 1 off game, but he has had several this year. I think OU can do better
Lots of blame in this game to go around, last 2 weeks defense has given up 60 points, BV still cannot manage a game (learning on the job)
If he doesn't tell Lebby to stop using those stupid jet sweeps after this game then he is as lost as Lebby is.
What really irks me is this was a VERY WINNABLE GAME but we did everything we could to lose. Reminds me a lot of last Season only the meltdowns have come a little later in the Season and there will be more.
I know I know I know we are in yr 2 of a rebuild but some of the crap we are seeing is busch league crap.
Where is the damn tylenol? 😡

Lots of blame in this game to go around, last 2 weeks defense has given up 60 points, BV still cannot manage a game (learning on the job)
If he doesn't tell Lebby to stop using those stupid jet sweeps after this game then he is as lost as Lebby is.
What really irks me is this was a VERY WINNABLE GAME but we did everything we could to lose. Reminds me a lot of last Season only the meltdowns have come a little later in the Season and there will be more.
I know I know I know we are in yr 2 of a rebuild but some of the crap we are seeing is busch league crap.
Where is the damn tylenol? 😡
and we have a very easy schedule this year as well. We continue to have at least one unexplainable loss every year

Reactions: loopafied68
I'm tired of trying to figure out the purpose in some of his play designs and who he uses in the lineup...

Yes you are correct open middle field a bunch and a nothing burger from Lebby. Some of the veteran Sooner fans around me were quite pissed off by Lebby’s lunkhead coaching by the brutal end. WTF Venables you give this guy your confidence. Rack up useless yards and always in a hurry? How about using clock properly Lebby??

Watch this video only if your blood pressure is all good. Some I knew but a lot I didn't including the O Line Coach mouthing off to a Ref. Brent better get this crap under control or we lose the rest of our games. Inexcusable all the way around. These Coaches are way overpaid, players too.

and we have a very easy schedule this year as well. We continue to have at least one unexplainable loss every year

If we were playing in the SEC this year, we would probably be battling South Carolina for whatever place they are going to end up in the conference. Well, maybe not that bad, but close. My point is we have a very winnable schedule this year but seem to shoot ourselves in the foot for no reason at all. Game management is too often unpredictable and down right weird.

Watch this video only if your blood pressure is all good. Some I knew but a lot I didn't including the O Line Coach mouthing off to a Ref. Brent better get this crap under control or we lose the rest of our games. Inexcusable all the way around. These Coaches are way overpaid, players too.

This is worth the time it takes to listen to these guys. You don’t have to agree with everything they say but they make a lot of sense. Much of which I agree with.

WR run plays absolutely infuriate me. Lebby ran that play with Farooq, at least 3 times. Also, trying to force the ball down the middle wasn't working but Lebby is to big of a meat head to draw up a play action pass. Open receiver's across the middle and down field also! Questionable play calling would not be an accurate statement. It was absolutely terrible play calling that was responsible for our first loss.

Last edited:
Yes you are correct open middle field a bunch and a nothing burger from Lebby. Some of the veteran Sooner fans around me were quite pissed off by Lebby’s lunkhead coaching by the brutal end. WTF Venables you give this guy your confidence. Rack up useless yards and always in a hurry? How about using clock properly Lebby??
How about actually try to pick up a first down after what should have been the game sealing INT. That was play calling at its worse. For goodness sake Lebby, KU still had 3 TO. Just one FD would have won the game

At least he acknowledges it so I will give him that. That said it all below

All Oklahoma needed was a first down.

What Oklahoma got instead was a confounding series of plays that resulted in Kansas getting the ball back with 2:05 to play and orchestrating a game-winning drive of its own, scoring the decisive touchdown with 55 seconds on the clock.

How about actually try to pick up a first down after what should have been the game sealing INT. That was play calling at its worse. For goodness sake Lebby, KU still had 3 TO. Just one FD would have won the game
and Lebby actually had the nerve to say they were trying to pick up the first down. Trying by running the ball up the middle 3 times in a row? Lame

I would love to ask Lebby why Freeman and Farooq were in the backfield instead of Sawchuck and Barnes. Not going to blame Farooq on the fumble but if you watch the play there was a seam for him to run up the middle, he chose to bounce it outside and coughed it up. I doubt Farooq is with the RB's every day during drills, Any RB would have run up the middle and probably picked up 5-6 yards.

Should have never hired Lebby. He and his father in law covered up rapes of approximately 50 coeds!.........that are known! Likely more.

Should have never hired Lebby. He and his father in law covered up rapes of approximately 50 coeds!.........that are known! Likely more.
Git some sunlight son. Can't see the world with yer head in yer keister. Somethin yer father shoulda taught ya. Thank me later. 👍

Lebby certainly bears a lot of the blame for yesterday's loss, but the NCAA official statistics are pretty revealing after 8 games. OU currently ranks 7th in total offense, but only 61st in total defense. While that's a significant improvement over Alex Grinch's horrible defenses, it's no where near close enough to be a legitimate contender nationally.

The three top teams in the country right now, Michigan, Ohio State and Georgia, rank 1st, 4th and 8th respectively in total defense.

I'm okay with it.... some. But we have two freshman running backs of enough quality that we recruited them. I cannot imagine two things. I cannot imagine those freshman running backs being productive fifth year seniors at OU. As many RB's as we seem to be recruiting, if they're elite we ought to be able to play at least one. I know they're both freshmen who weren't here in the spring. Can't imagine number two: Can't imagine that a young running back can't be taught running back plays sufficiient to replace Farooq at RB.

I also believe the hits he's taken as a running back are diminishing his quality as a receiver. His threat to defenses has gone down substantially since he started playing running back. The coaching staff needs to get their shit together. And in recruiting at running back seems to be pretty bad, if we have five 4-star running backs on the team, and the only reliable runner we have is a walk on.

We need some accountability in the RB room, for the guy with the whistle. Why do we only hear complaints about the OC, and none about the OL coach, the RB coach and the running back coach. And yesterday in crucial situations, two freshman running backs false started. THAT cannot happen. That make it a clean coach sweep.

I'm okay with it.... some. But we have two freshman running backs of enough quality that we recruited them. I cannot imagine two things. I cannot imagine those freshman running backs being productive fifth year seniors at OU. As many RB's as we seem to be recruiting, if they're elite we ought to be able to play at least one. I know they're both freshmen who weren't here in the spring. Can't imagine number two: Can't imagine that a young running back can't be taught running back plays sufficiient to replace Farooq at RB.

I also believe the hits he's taken as a running back are diminishing his quality as a receiver. His threat to defenses has gone down substantially since he started playing running back. The coaching staff needs to get their shit together. And in recruiting at running back seems to be pretty bad, if we have five 4-star running backs on the team, and the only reliable runner we have is a walk on.

We need some accountability in the RB room, for the guy with the whistle. Why do we only hear complaints about the OC, and none about the OL coach, the RB coach and the running back coach. And yesterday in crucial situations, two freshman running backs false started. THAT cannot happen. That make it a clean coach sweep.
I don't think OUr lack of a vertical passing game is on Bedenbaugh. I did enjoy Walker mowing em down though. That's the progress I want to see. Why didn't Lebby let Dillon chunk the ball downfield Plaino?

Two or three things. Mostly about the wind, He wasn't accurate throwing it. Really hasn't been except for a half dozen times this year. Yesterday would have been tougher. But it's ironic that the ex-Longhorn has played maybe a total of a dozen plays all season, and he has two of them. Both of them, he had to come back to catch underthrown balls. And I don't think Dillon was having a good day. The cold and the wind were tough, at least on us. In the second half, KU didn't seem to be having much trouble.

But yesterday was really the first time that my pre-season prediction started to take place. I said then that I didn't think Big XII conference officials would let OU and Texas play each other in the CCG. I still don't. And I think the Sooners will be the odd team out. Next week in Stillwater, I'll bet it really shows up.

I don't understand why Brenan Thompson isn't playing more. I don't think anybody else is a true deep ball threat. Anderson ought to be, but as much as we needed him yesterday, I think he caugth one. He and Gibson both just a snap count in a crucial situation. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THAT. Coaches have been saying that since before I was at OU. That would make it before we were throwing it that much. Barry loved games where we scored 50, ran for 600 and never threw a pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT