ADVERTISEMENT

Amid alleged NCAA violations, Mark Dantonio resigns at Michigan State

Wow, I was not aware of the recruiting violations and sexual abuse incidents during his tenure. I thought it was a bit of a shocker that he stepped down since he's "only" 63 years old and has a good record at MSU. Strange that the AD would reassign him to a position within the Athletic Dept. considering they'll probably get some form of penalty for the recruiting violations. Not sure if the sexual assault cases have been addressed, but would not be surprised if at least one is reopened or reinvestigated.

Too bad for him. I liked MSU in the B1G.

Reactions: iasooner1
They are spinning this on the Big Ten Network to say that he just didn't fit into a job that has become a 365 day a year job. But curious that he just received $4million plus as a retention bonus, but less than a couple of days after a former recruiting coordinator made specific accusations about illegal recruiting tactics.

And that on top of recruiting players who came with sexual assault baggage, and then did it again at MSU. I'd think the AD might be up for some very harsh scrutiny. Flip side, maybe the retention bonus was a payoff to keep Dantonio quiet about things he knows.

They are spinning this on the Big Ten Network to say that he just didn't fit into a job that has become a 365 day a year job. But curious that he just received $4million plus as a retention bonus, but less than a couple of days after a former recruiting coordinator made specific accusations about illegal recruiting tactics.

And that on top of recruiting players who came with sexual assault baggage, and then did it again at MSU. I'd think the AD might be up for some very harsh scrutiny. Flip side, maybe the retention bonus was a payoff to keep Dantonio quiet about things he knows.

I read a couple of weeks ago that the retention bonus in his contract kicked in if he was still the coach through the end of January, or thereabouts. Not surprised at all about the resignation or the timing of it.

How good is the head coaching job at Michigan State going to be now?

Last edited:
Matt Campbell would be a tremendous candidate for that job. I would be surprised to see him go though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT